2006 Knick Summer League Roster!

d2319

Benchwarmer
(It starts today at 3:00 P.M. on M.S.G.!)

New York Knicks
Seasons - 2006 | 2005 |
2006 VSL Schedule
Day Date Time Game Score Box Score Recap TV Coverage
Fri 7/7/06 12:00 PM New York Knicks
Cleveland Cavaliers

Box Score Recap N/A
Sat 7/8/06 8:00 PM New York Knicks
Phoenix Suns

Box Score Recap N/A
Mon 7/10/06 8:00 PM Sacramento Kings
New York Knicks

Box Score Recap N/A
Tue 7/11/06 6:00 PM Detroit Pistons
New York Knicks

Box Score Recap N/A
Thu 7/13/06 1:00 PM Washington Wizards
New York Knicks

Box Score Recap N/A

2006 VSL Season Totals
NO NAME MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
TOTALS MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
OPPONENTS FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS

2006 VSL Roster
Num Player Pos Height Weight Birthdate College / Year Years Pro
04 Nate Robinson G 5-9 180 5/31/84 Washington 1
07 Channing Frye F/C 6-11 245 5/17/83 Arizona 1
08 Ime Udoka G/F 6-6 215 8/9/77 Portland State 2
09 Brian Greene F 6-7 225 8/30/81 Colorado State R
14 Walker Russell, Jr. G 6-0 170 10/6/82 Jacksonville State R
20 Olu Famutimi G 6-4 207 2/21/84 Arkansas R
21 Kenny Adeleke F 6-8 250 2/10/83 Hartford R
25 Mardy Collins G 6-6 220 8/4/84 Temple R
32 Renaldo Balkman F 6-8 208 7/14/84 South Carolina R
42 David Lee F 6-9 235 4/29/83 Florida 1
50 Franko Kastropil C 7-0 265 5/8/84 Croatia R
55 Paul Miller C 6-10 250 11/12/82 Wichita State R
Head Coach: Isiah Thomas, Indiana
Assistant Coaches: Mark Aguirre, DePaul, Phil Ford, North Carolina, George Glymph, Benedict, Dave Hanners, North Carolina, Herb Williams, Ohio State
Athletic Trainer:

About the New York Knicks
Last Year
The Knicks finished 2005-06 going 23-59, the first time they won less than 30 games since 1999 when the finished with 27 wins. Veteran guard Stephon Marbury, who missed 22 games on the season, led the team in scoring at 16.3 points a night. Eddy Curry shot 56.3 percent from the field, second in the NBA. He helped out with 13.6 points and 6.0 rebounds. The Knicks acquired three-time NBA All-Star Steve Francis at the trade deadline. As a Knick, he averaged 10.8 points and 3.5 assists in 24 games.
Summer League Prospectus
Isiah Thomas takes over the reigns for the Knicks, replacing Larry Brown, and selected Ronaldo Balkman and Mardy Collins in the first round of the NBA Draft. Balkman led South Carolina in rebounding (6.3 rpg), while averaging 9.6 points and 1.3 blocked shots, helping the Gamecocks to back-to-back NIT titles. His season total of 65 steals ranks as the fifth-best single season mark in school history. Collins, an All-Atlantic performer, averaged 16.8 ppg and 2.8 spg for Temple. They will join Knicks veterans Nate Robinson (9.3 ppg in 72 games), David Lee (5.1 ppg and 4.5 rpg in 67 games) and Channing Frye (12.3 ppg and 5.8 rpg in 65 games).

Trin_Starr

Starter
FYI
The first SL game will be aired on MSG today @ 3pm
It's rerun will be at 6:30pm

You can also catch in on knicks in 60 at 11pm tonight.

NYKnicks15

Starter
95-71 against the Cleveland Cavaliers. Nothing to get excited about.. but I mean it has to make you feel a little good, ey? :)

d2319

Benchwarmer
NYKnicks15 said:
95-71 against the Cleveland Cavaliers. Nothing to get excited about.. but I mean it has to make you feel a little good, ey? :)
A win is a win! I don't care how its done or when! The Knicks will win all these summer games!

NYKnicks15

Starter
Here's a look at the stats from our 6 players that we should care about.

Nate Robinson: 23 pts. 4 rebs. 3 asts. 1 stl. 5-11 shooting.
David Lee: 20 pts. 8 rebs. 1 ast. 1 stl. 7-8 shooting.
Channing Frye: 19 pts. 5 rebs. 2 stl. 1 blk. 8-17 shooting.
Ime Udoka: 6 pts. 5 rebs. 3 ast. 2 stls. 2-6 shooting.
Renaldo Balkman: 6 pts. 4 rebs. 1 ast. 1 stl. 1 blk. 2-3 shooting.
Mardy Collins: 4 pts. 2 rebs. 1 ast. 2-4 shooting.

e_D

Benchwarmer
Our rooks looked pretty good. Our Sophomores looked incredible! Let's hope all these guys stay healthy and play well for the length of the season.

Did you guys see Frye? He's bulked up quite a bit! I cant wait to see him push around some vets in the paint and shut up everyone who labeled him soft.

portega1968

El Cacique
What I liked most about yesterday's win was that the team was able to click defensively after starting out a bit rusty. And I'd rather take a win any day over a loss even if it's playing in my backyard, jejejeje

Draftexpress.com has some nice analysis of each summer league game... check out the link:

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1396

Nate seems much more confident and apparently has worked alot on his PG skills.

Channing seems recuperated from his knee injury and looks much stronger, so I'm hoping his post game starts to develop and his defense comes along.

Balkman seems like he'll earn serious minutes at the 3spot. I think only Nate is the other Knick who can match this guy's high voltage.

But the one Knick I'm more hyped over is David Lee... the kid has improved his shot dramatically, and his instinct for getting boards and loose balls is amazing. He shoots high percentage shots and knocks down his free throws. I'm certain he will eventually be regarded as the steal of last year's draft and dare I say will achieve superstar status.

IMO, we should forget about trading for a PF (unless its Wilcox and we ship Francis) and David Lee should be our starting PF although it looks like Isiah will give him more minutes at SF. I would start Frye at C, with Lee at PF and Balkman at the 3, with Francis and Marbs in the backcourt. Have Curry off the bench 1st when substituting upfront and Crawford 1st up in the back. Nate and Q should round out the 9man rotation.

In terms of other teams:

Next season's rookie of the year battle will be historic (whoever said this past draft didn't have superstars?)... Brandon Roy and Randy Foye will be All Stars in the not so distant future, and Adam Morrison will leave many jaws wide open!!!

Martell Webster will also be a star... that kid looks incredible running through screens and knocking down shots. Glen Rice, your game has been missed until now!!!

Bargnani can shoot big time a la Nowitzki... without a doubt he'll be a starter and opposing forwards will have a hard time defending this kid.

Now whythe hell isn't John Lucas on an NBA team? because he's short? shiiiit... apparently, this kid has learned a ton with his dad in those Houston clinics with the vets who are trying to regain some game (penny for example)... the Rockets need to look no further for their PG...

Holy crap, why the fuck did Steve Novak have to wait till the second round to be picked? because he supposedly one-dimensional? This guy will eventually lead the NBA in 3point shooting and it'll be very soon. The Rockets will make life hard for the Mavs and Spurs next year.

LaMarcus Aldridge will one day be known as the bust of this draft... and Renaldo the steal, jejejeje

My homeboys Jose Juan Barea and Guillermo Diaz will be nice commodities =)

Reece Gaines... can you say Todd Fuller?

Last edited:

Ewing33

Benchwarmer
Ok Ok OK...the young Knicks showed hustle and development...just as we would want...I agree with the assessments that IT is going to have to sit some Vets to let the young kids play....
BUT...putting Balkman in the starting lineup...are you kidding?????
Come November Balkman will be lucky to see the court...I love the hustle and attitude...but please, let's not be crazy, he has a long way to go to be a real player.
Great work sophomore class...just play and keep quiet about last year...

Hey don't look now...The Knicks are tied for 1st place!!!!!!!!

Finesse

Benchwarmer
Did somebody say Untouchable?

I’ve been saying all along that the Class of ’05 should remain intact. I hope Isiah feels the same way!
I am unable to get MCG, so I can’t see the summer league games, so I will have to rely on you guys. If the reports I am getting are true, I am very excited. I am especially happy that Frye is fully recovered. I am not surprised to hear Lee is playing well and Nate, also playing well is no surprise. Balkman’s high-voltage motor is good news. I wonder, though how does Collins look? Some say he looks good, but I need more.
When you win 23 games in a season, you should be ready to storm the court after a summer league win. Hell, I’d be happy with a forfeit!

NYKnicks15

Starter
well we totally sucked against the Suns haha. Lost by 19 (70-89) and Frye and Robinson played like trash.

Robinson: 2-10 shooting. 5 pts. 2 rebs. 3 ast. 1 stl.
Frye: 2-8 shooting. 6 pts. 2 rebs. 1 ast.
Collins: 2-4 shooting. 4 pts. 1 blk.

lee and balkman played good though..
Balkman: 3-4 shooting. 8 pts. 4 rebs. 1 ast. 1 blk. 2 stls.
Lee: 10-13 shooting. 21 pts. 13 rebs. 1 ast. 1 stl.

Finesse

Benchwarmer
David Lee is the Goods!!

It’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon. You want these guys to prove how they can respond to adversity. Bring on Game 3!!

portega1968

El Cacique
All summer league games are being aired by MSG Network.

vegassummerleague.com has all the details plus draftexpress.com has some interesting analyses.

d2319

Benchwarmer
Sad lost but oh well!

As we all know the Knicks lost.....NO SURPRISE! Anyway I have faith in them that they will clean up there act! From what in the first quarter I knid of knew they were gonna lose. Marbury was funny! Hopefully like he said, he will not continue on with talking about Larry Brown. It's about time!

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
ok i watched the game 2nite and here's what i thought...

lee seems possesed. he is hustling around the court more than anyone out there. he has deft improved his rebounding and is playing a lot more physical. (we betta keep him)

balkman is on every loose ball and every rebound. he is at his best cutting thru the lane and dishing to the open man (just what we needed). his defense is great. he shut down kevin martin on a shot that coulda won the game for sacramento. he made a few rookie mistakes but he deft has potential. (we betta keep him)

collins also plays great d. he is another one who penetrates and finds his teammates. he doesnt need to shoot to make an impact which also fits him in perfect. he had some nice shots under the basket that scored him some nice and 1's. (keep him)

nate robinson: i love him but he needs to chill with the 3's. i saw him dribbling out the shot clock and chucking up a 3 too many times. i like the energy he brings but the knicks pulled themselves out from a 10+ deficit with him out of the game. he isnt the greatest passer. he's quick and is good @ catching the d off guard, not sure if he's gonna fit in that great with our guys.(tradable)

ime udoka sucks.

frye was injured which is starting to seem like a habit of his. and whats the main reason most of you guys dont wanna bring in k-mart? i say if it took frye in a deal to get him. go 4 it.

i think q-rich should NOT be traded! ive changed my mind. after seein the way balkman, collins, and lee like to distribute the ball i now c we need an outside threat to open up the paint. with these 2 rookies coming in it will deft help q get plenty more open shots.

now they have one of isiah thomas' practices w/ the summer league players on tv. im watchin him school the big men and from what i hear him preachin its obvious he knows what hes talkin about. i got a good feelin about this season.

we won by a point but the truth is ron artest disappeared @ half time. i think he hit up a titty bar on the strip. without artest our young guys showed what they're capable of. thats my take. anyone else see the game? whatchu think...

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
sxmarbury516 said:
frye was injured which is starting to seem like a habit of his. and whats the main reason most of you guys dont wanna bring in k-mart? i say if it took frye in a deal to get him. go 4 it.

Frye has not been injured alot and kenyon martin gotta serious injury and in my opinion frye is going be a better player than martin very soon

Finesse

Benchwarmer
sxmarbury516, don’t sleep on Frye, he’ll be fine. I understand your frustration, but have patience with Frye. There is a reason every team talking to the Knicks about trades mention Frye’s name. If you’ve seen him play a lot, and I think you have, you know he’s a good player. He’s young, which means he can go from good to great soon, and you might want to see that, especially in a Knick uniform.
And besides, he’s Dirk Nowitski in a few years. Mark my words!!
I wasn’t able to see the game, thanx for the update!

portega1968

El Cacique
Like I've said before, let's take advantage of Frye's current value and trade him before it starts dropping. Of course, we should only use him in a trade for a superstar.

Let's be honest here people... Frye has a killer mid-range jumper and makes his free throws, but what else does he bring to the table? His defense is very poor, he will never have an effective post-up game and his rebounding sucks. These three shortcomings are enough to limit his value at the PF spot. He's good for the pick-and-roll, but that's all he has.

David Lee deserves the PF spot ahead of Frye; his defense and rebounding are way above Frye and he's an excellent passer. I think it's a mistake forcing him to become a SF.

Francis, Frye and the expiring deals should be more than enough to land a star of Garnett's caliber, and I say we should jump on such an opportunity.