Knicks may be going for the wrong AL.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
It just recently occured to me that New York and Knicks fans may be wrong about going for Al Harrington. I have lead the movement for trading for Al Harrington but after taking a hard look at the salary figures I see that it may be possible to package Steve Francis for Al Iverson and still not put a drain on the salary. This is really a continuation of my last post.

Allan Hououston comes off the books in 07/08 and if we keep both of the Roses (Jalen and Malik) from now to 07/08 season we will drop from $133,363,654 to $65,476,125.
Steve Francis makes $16,440,000 next season and $17,180,000 the season after. Jerome James 18 mill left on his contract for the next three years.
AI makes $20,109,375 next season and $21,937,500 the season after, so moving James and Francis for A.I. is finantually an even swap and we'd still be at $65,476,125 after next season.

Line up:
Curry
Frye
Lee/Rose
Iverson
Marbury

Buy trading for Iverson we will immedately be back in the play off race.

NYKnicks15

Starter
remind me why we need Allen Iverson. what void does he fill for us? We are starting with an undersized non true SG in Francis and getting the same in return not to mention losing a backup C (who even though none of us are fond of we are losing one).

2 players for 1. same price. I dont get it.

donchris

The whole point is getting a franchise player and not adding on to the cap. In A.I. we don't just get an undersized guard. We get and undersized guard who virtually can't be stopped and averages 33 points and a carreer high 7.4 assits per game. He was at one point the top scorer in the league and "does not" have a problem passing the ball. He has not succeeded be cause he hasn't had the right cast and crew supporting him. Now picture A.I. playing along side Eddie Curry, Stephon Marbury, Channing Frye and Jalen Rose. That is a hell of a supporting cast. I just don't really think the SF void is that big of a deal because we have so much talent in other places.

NYKnicks15

Starter
I see.. but why do we need "franchise" player. Are the knicks having trouble making money? For real Chris.. he mite average those numbers but he is shoot first. and he's not too great at shooting threes. a pet peeve of mine is not liking a shooting guard who cant shoot.

Did you watch any Philly games? He and Webber DEMAND the ball. He does have a problem giving up the ball. We dont need anymore players that are like that. Iverson is great yay for him. i like him.. but there wont be enough shots for a team that already has Stephon Marbury, Jalen Rose, Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson.

And if we trade two for one, that'll just force us to spend the MLE on paying someone else and adding to the payroll yet again.

Also SF is a big void. When you have Curry/James/Frye/Lee rotating up top. Francis/Marbury/Crawford/Robinson/Richardson in the back. Too many guards as we all know. And what Jalen Rose and Renaldo Balkman as our options at SF? Balkman is not NBA ready and Jalen Rose will be gone by deadline or will expire and what will we have to show for it?

Please dont use our assets for another guard! Lets fill our needs first. Not just trade for the hell of bringing in a star.

donchris

I fully understand what you're saying but what it really comes down to is who would you rather have, Steve Francis or Allen Iverson? Jerome James is doing absolutley nothing so I wouldn't really count him as a loss if he is traded. Sure Al Harrington may be the missing link. I've supported that trade nearly all year long, but it looks like he may be going to the Pacers. Not to mention that there is the possiblity that teams may be willing to over pay for him. Which is something we should not do. It's not a loss in any way to pull in A.I. As far as him demanding he ball, that was the case in previous years but not last year. The 76ers are a young team very much like the Knicks. Who was ready to step up other than C. Web and A.I, Kyle Korver?

Now look at our current roster. Guard heavy, way guard heavy. So if it is not possible for us to make a run at Harrington why not Swap a guard for one of the top players in the league? I think the Knicks would be fools not to make a run at A.I. It's really like having a change to trade Marbury for Kobe. So what we would have a lot of guards. We've got a lot of guards now. And the best part is the trade I've proposed will not add on to the cap.

Finesse

Benchwarmer
Oh, Hell Yeah!!!

I think the real question is would Philly go for it? I don’t care about AI’s selfishness, if Philly would take James and Francis for him, I’d jump on it in a heartbeat! With the negatives expressed (all valid points), AI would bring a fire to the Knicks that is sorely lacking. Also, he would not stand still for a 23 win season. He would walk through fire to win, and he’s never been a part of a running team! Philly has been a walk it up team since he’s been there! Not to mention his fire and enthusiasm would be a boost to our young guys. Don’t believe the papers, this guy is a warrior!!
And AI in New York? You know The Garden would stay packed!!

NYKnicks15

Starter
You are an Iverson fan I get that.. and thats why you ppl are missing the point. Jerome James like him or not is an asset. Not in the means that he is great or a hot commodity but he is a backup C. If we trade our back up C AND a small ballhog of a PG (who is trying to play SG) for a small ballhog of a PG (who is trying to play SG) what are we gaining? In fact we are gaining something.. the need to sign ANOTHER backup C and yet more payroll. As well they money it'd cost to hire a physiciatrist for Isiah and a gun/bullets for Dolan so he could put himself out his misery.

Al Harrington isnt going to be a Pacer btw. And if so there are other SF in the league. Overpay him? like overpaying a backup SG? like if we got Iverson we'd be doing to TWO. we'd have two backup SG more capable of playing that position earning 6 mill. Who was ready to step up other than Web.. AI.. KK.. you just named four of the starting five?! kind of hypocritical ey?

And trading Marbury for Kobe is NOT at all like trading for Iverson. Kobe IS an actual shooting guard. Then you move Francis to PG. not a trade for necessity BUT makes sense position wise. This trade is like trading Marbury & James for Kidd. or Francis & James for Baron Davis. What is the point?! It's just ANOTHER name. Just like the Francis trade last year. It just gave us ANOTHER name that will be overpaid, want too many shots, be undersized and not play his true position.

We have ENOUGH names. in fact every player on our team has one. actually a first and last one. we dont need anymore names. WE NEED A TEAM. Not a trade for a marquee player for no reason. Whoo iversons a knick lets buy jerseys... we still suck. lets turn the knicks into a team instead of some selling tickets harlem globetrotters of a freak show.

"come one and all to see the knicks! we mite not have a true small forward. we mite not have any player that can block a shot. we mite not have common sense. but we got Marbury. Iverson. Robinson. Rose. YAY! Come see us hack up fifty thousand shots and still not win a game!! But Iverson & Marbs will get 7 assists EACH. Granted its there only 7 passes the entire game. See them now. SUCKING at a stadium near you."

Dumb trade. Please someone with common sense please agree. I beg you.

donchris

Ok 15 I hear you. I do, but do you really think we'd be worse off with Iverson? We are already all of those things you mentioned. The freakshow that likes to throw up a million shots and lose. I thought the Francis trade was two steps backwards but it happened and now according to every source I can find, the Knicks are not the front runner for Al Harrington. May be you have some info that I don't have. May be we still can get Harrington, but if not we wont be any worse off with Iverson. In fact he can do more than Francis and Marbury. We ideally would have the strongest backcourt in the league. I think we all may have over played the need for a SF. No question we can be better at that spot but is it really a major void? David Lee only had .03 of a season at that spot and he played it very well. He is certain to get more time at SF under Isiah. We've also got Jalen Rose who still in my opinion has gas in the tank and he's played SF most of his carreer. Looking back we've had worse voids. Kurt Thomas was our center for how many years? Ah dude ant a center but he played it and adapted pretty well. No true center in NY for 4 years is a real void. To me having three guys that can play a position isn't really a void. Don't get me wrong, I agree that Harrington would fit in with the Knicks but I dont agree that we'd be any worse off with A.I.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
A. I'd much rather have AI than Steve Francis. AI is ten times better than Steve Francis.

B. It's b/c we have Jerome James that we now have to decide between re-signing either Jackie Butler or Qyntel Woods. If we were able to get rid of an extra player, we'd be able to keep both Butler & Woods. I'm all for dropping James. He is NOT an asset to this team. He couldn't crack 10 minutes off the bench if he wanted to.

C. I think with consistent playing time Qyntel Woods can develop into that true SF that we've been looking for. He's shown flashes of his talent last year and should build on that this season if we can just re-sign him.

Pedro De Pacas

Benchwarmer
Iverson? Hell no! AI would be the last nail in the coffin for this franchise.
If we could'nt get Harrington, i'd rather keep the current roster till the trading deadline and hope the players improve and raise their value.

NYKnicks15

Starter
For the hundreth time Jackie Butler will not resign with the Knicks. Simple as that. If anywhere he will go to Cleveland. If he resigns with the Knicks it'll be a miracle. I'll buy a Jerome James jersey if that happens.

I do like Qyntel Woods on the otherhand. But you people are getting over excited about a trade that will never happen. Philly has no need for a C. Also we have no need for Allen Iverson.

And I agree we already have a freakshow but why continue it? thats no excuse that we already have one. lets work on NOT. you trade Francis and this team has potential. Granted we get a SF with it.

But yea Chris, cmon man you know me I'd never steer you wrong when it comes to these things haha. It really would, I wouldnt say worse. Just add to the payroll and continue on this tragedy we call the Knickerbockers. If we can somehow get rid of James I'm all for it (even though I think under Isiah he will do alright seeing Larry Brown purposely used Jackie before him because that was his agents son player) but not like this. not until weh ave a backup plan.

So what we need to do is secure positions. I think Marbury secures PG. Crawford secures the SG. Curry secures the C. and I think eventually Frye/Lee will secure PF. but J-Rose is not our SF he is an expiring contract and someone who is aging. Prolly wont even be a Knick next season.

And Chris, for some inside info. Indy is out of the running for Al. Bonzi is most likely going to Indy instead. The other teams are Golden State and us. It'll be a race but one we can win. and if thats not enough Isiah is ready to offer some of the MLE to Trevor Ariza =] my buddy could be back

so lets stay away from Iverson. Do I like Iverson? of course. but would be adding him help us? no. make it worse? no. POINTLESS? YES. lets move in the right direction instead of trading because hell look cool in a Knicks jersey.

donchris

Hahhaha! So let me get this straight. If Buttler comes back you'll get a Jerome James jersey? Hahaha. I think every one on here should hold you to that! I feel you man. And for every one else out there, this is a perfect example of how to dissagree with out insults. Honestly ether way I'll be a happy camper once we get A.H. (Allen Houston or A$$ hole, I forget what it stands for) off the books.

NYKnicks15

Starter
haha yes sir. we are surely model citizens haha. but yea on the real, if Butler re-signs with us with no one else moving. Meaning we cant go and trade away Frye, Lee, Curry, James so we desperately need a C THEN YES I WILL BUY A JEROME JAMES JERSEY haha. granted they sell em. it is a possibility he will come back as Isiah really wants him back BUT his agent (son of larrys agent) says he expects one of four other clubs to step up and offer more than 1 million that Isiah has offered. we can offer any amount but we dont expect to over pay. Bulls and Cavs are really interested.

true.. i was actually under the impression that due to the retirement AH's contract would be off this year. Not sure. But yes even if we stink this year you have to admit deadline and next offseason are going to be pretty exciting. haha.

and from what I'm hearing there are only two front runners for Al Harrington now. Golden State and New York. Indiana is out due to the fact they are in serious talks to get Bonzi Wells. It all comes down to Atlanta's court situation and what teams will offer. To be honest, I believe we have such an arrangement of talent we could land him if we wanted.

and if that doesnt work out.. expect us to put in a good bid for Trevor Ariza

portega1968

El Cacique
An Atlanta judge has revised his ruling to allow the Hawks to sign contracts up to four years, so this revives some rumors concerning Al Harrington.

Nevertheless, it seems Isiah will not make a move for Harrington.

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
granted if the sixers would be dumb enough to trade AI for steve 'past his prime' francis and jerome 'over paid n outta shape' james then why the hell wouldnt we jump on that. but to face facts, i dont care how much philly may be lookin to ship out the answer they would NOT trade him for these 2 players.

id include one or several of these players for harrington...
jalen rose
nate robinson
mo taylor
malik rose
steve francis (they dont want him)
channing frye (along with a shitty contract)

NYKnicks15

Starter
Not to sound like an ass.. but where do you get that information that Atlanta doesn't want Steve Francis? That is not at all the case..

Finesse

Benchwarmer
NYKnicks15, you called it on the Butler move. That’s a hurtin’ thing for us. James is going to have to play his ass of this year, and I just don’t think he has it in him. If he does, that jersey may not be such a bad purchase! Anybody got $3?
Point made on the Iverson thing, but I’d still take him over Francis.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Come on Don...how you going to diss H20 like that? This man is a christian, excellent devoter to his community, and gives countless millions to his own charity foundation. This man is a role model for idle citizens in this country. He needs to be respected and promoted instead of being criticized...

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
NYKnicks15 said:
where do you get that information that Atlanta doesn't want Steve Francis? That is not at all the case..

wasnt it the hawks that said they only want expiring contracts in return? they just picked up speedy claxton, they wont be looking for an overpaid pg. mark my words if we land him francis wont be shipped out.