Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why hasn't marbury reached the 2nd round of the playoffs

I'm loving the sarcasim...

Originally Posted by NYKnicks15
    I'm not the biggest fan of Marbs in the world but I've argued this point many times. If you look at the places he's been and the roster at those times or scenarios you'll see whats up. Especially in PHO. They were a real good team made the playoffs. then the following season he gets shipped to NY right after Amare gets hurt.

and Musa if you are referring to his I'm just gonna be "starbury" comments FROM LAST YEAR who cares?! he was making them to that POS larry brown. and we were what 15 games left in the season? we already sucked ass.

Yeah how many times has KG made it past the first round?
    or even worse.. McGrady. Gasol. like Truth already mentioned.

Chris you are absolutely correct.
    The starbury thing is a joke because this guy is supposed to be a leader and one of the faces of the franchise and he's calling himself "starbury" which would be fine if he has a fist of rings, but he has none to back it up. so he just makes the franchise and himself look stupid. Not to mention a history of just horrendous quotes...

kg made it out one more time than marbury and should have made it more than that.

portega and hoop115 you make good points

True they have made it out one more time than 'starbury' but last time I checked you don't win rings for getting out of the first round...none of these guys have a fist of rings yet they are great players...if you surround great players with great role players then you will have a successful team...look for houston to have a big year this year also...

Originally Posted by portega1968
    Nice article by Fox Sports on the qualities a successful PG must have ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

The article says something that can help explain why Marbury hasn't reached the second round of the playoffs, and I quote:

"No NBA team has ever won a championship when its No. 1 (meaning PG spot) has led the league in scoring. And only three teams have won titles when their point guard was also their leading scorer — Isiah Thomas with Detroit in 1990, Magic Johnson with the Lakers in 1987, and Walt Frazier with New York in 1973."

And this one is so true and really applies to Steph:

"If there's one ultimate yardstick to measure the worth of a point guard it's this: Do his teammates perform at a higher level when he's in the game or on the bench?"

Unless Isiah shows Marbury how to be the leading scorer AND win a title, I demand that Marbs play like a true point guard and forget that crap about being a "shooting PG"... in other words, he should post career highs in assists, he must make his teammates better and he must improve his defense.
    Excellent!! I read that article and it really show you the blueprint for a true PG. Funny enough, you can see it proven... Look at Stockton, Johnson, Isiah, Kidd, you can start to see it in Hindrich and Paul. But all the "Starbury" guys will come out and say he isn't a PG and then what can you do. It's like arguing with a child that everytime you tell them something they keep saying "but why". It's an endless loop that can never come to fruition. The very problem with Marbury is he is Starbury!!!

Veteran

100% totally agree, well said!!!!!
    Last edited by rady; Jul 15, 2006 at 03:37. Reason: No quotation to the last message ;)

No one ever came out and said that marbury was a pure PG...at least not me...I've always said that he was a combo guard. Again I don't care what history shows if you put a superstar with fire into a system with good role players success is in the near future...period

Originally Posted by The 1 and Only
    No one ever came out and said that marbury was a pure PG...at least not me...I've always said that he was a combo guard. Again I don't care what history shows if you put a superstar with fire into a system with good role players success is in the near future...period
    I guess all we need now is a superstar with fire

haha you're silly and wrong...we need a supporting cast that can play at his tempo and style...and as of right now, we're getting real close. With JC and francis at his side and frye curry and lee in the front court...I think we could do some damage

Default Someone Get This Guy Some Prozac

Originally Posted by The 1 and Only
    haha you're silly and wrong...we need a supporting cast that can play at his tempo and style...and as of right now, we're getting real close. With JC and francis at his side and frye curry and lee in the front court...I think we could do some damage
    Tell us, are you on drugs by any chance, or did you escape from a mental hospital?

Yo you tell me something man do you have anything worth me responding too? Or is this the reason you get kicked out this forum and try to get a new name every other week? Not only are you putting down stupid comments...you're actually serious on what you talk about. I'm sticking behind my opinions cuz I have reasonable statements behind them...you write crap down and think it's gold....think again

Originally Posted by Protect ur picks Isiah
    ... So i was hoping someone can explain how a player of all his talent is yet to lead a team to the 2nd round of the playoffs.
    You're on the right track. The answer is because Stephon Marbury is a slug and his ego refuses to allow him to be coached. Isiah Thomas is the only person who would have an interest in someone like this, and overpay him while doing so.

Because every team he was/is with dont respond to his playing. they do good enough to get to the playoffs but no good enough to get further than that

Thumbs up

Good answer...I believe that 100%