• Reynaldo Balkman

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Qyntel Woods

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

furious lord

Benchwarmer
I know dude posted about who should start at PF, i think Thomas is gonna start Frye...but with the roster the way it is, who's gonna play small forward? We're in the same division as Paul Pierce, Richard jefferson, Vince Carter, some of the best wing players in the game..eventhough we got some good scorers at the position, we've struggled guarding good wing players for the last couple of years...So, who should start at the 3? Here's who we got-

David Lee-Strengths: Good rebounder, has high basketball IQ, scrappy and very athletic; in a running offense can fill the lanes, provide second chance opportunities and is a good finisher..Is also a good passer and can score inside...On our six game winning streak, he started at this position. Weaknesses: Questionable jumpshot, lacked lateral quickness to guard opposing small forwards, didn't look for offense much
Quentin Richardson- Strengths: Gives us outside shooting, is a decent defender and rebounder and in an uptempo offense could be more effective...
weaknesses-when he's not hitting threes he takes himself out of the offense, has been injury prone and has a degenerative back condition.
Qyntel Woods-last year was our most athletic small forward..Has the size and quickness you like at the 3...Showed flashes of a jumpshot, great finisher on the breaks and really runs the floor, can also create his own shot...weaknesses-lapses on defense, erratic shooting
Jalen Rose-strengths:probably best all around scorer at the 3 we have, can handle the ball, distribute, knock down the 3, and abuse smaller defenders and expose larger ones. Could Provide veteran leadership. weaknesses: Is a defensive liability, and with no intimidating defenders on the roster, this is a problem.
Reynaldo Balkman-From what I've seen is as freakishly athletic as Woods. From what i've heard he is a good defender, which means he'll play cause we don't have any good defenders at the wing spots. Hustles, gets steals and is a decent rebounder. Also block shots every now and then...Shows a good basketball IQ, something else we lack, and is in constant motion even when he doesn't have the ball...Great finisher and should consistantly beat his man down the floor.. Weaknesses: He's a rookie, and has no real offensive game.

ny3nyk

Rotation player
im pretty sure jalen rose will be shipped out sometime before the all-star break but i really liked him starting at the 3. he was really consistent before he got injured during the last few games of the season. hes a vet who knows the game and is def. a proven scorer. he's basically a triple-threat: can shoot, handle the ball and can rebound at 6'8. assuming he gets traded in 06-07, i would think lee would start. people worry about his perimeter game and his quickness to defend quicker small fowards in the league but hey, thats what the summers for right?

NYKnicks15

Starter
This is a very good question. And to be honest Jalen Rose and Isiah Thomas are very very close. He knew him since he was in highschool. Not saying personal feelings will stop Isiah from trading him but I do believe we will ship out Maurice Taylors expiring contract before/if we even ship of Rose's. I wouldnt be surprised if he stays here and signs for cheap next year or moves along.

What makes this question difficult though, is that unilike the PF, we dont know what we will have. Who knows if we will trade for a SF (our biggest hole). But at the moment I think Lee is a PF and too slow to guard the SF.

So we have Jalen Rose, Quentin Richardson and Renaldo Balkman.

I like Qyntel Woods but I dont think he will be resigned. I think Steve Francis will be shipped making JC/Q our Shooting Guards. And I think we will let Jackie Butler go and sign Trevor Ariza. And if that does happen. Trevor Ariza will be our starting small forward. mark my words on that.

Isiah is trying to prove that he can do this with the same talent. And he does love Trevor his 2nd round gem he picked as his first draft pick in the Knicks org. ANd what would show up Larry more if he were to get back the person Larry called "delusional" and have him start.. and do good.

Trevor Ariza is my pick. In a weird way, it could very well happen.

portega1968

El Cacique
I vote for Jalen Rose simply because I think David Lee should start at PF and Frye at C with Curry off the bench.

Qyntel doesn't cut it despite his attributes and Renaldo needs some seasoning before earning that spot (something I believe he will eventually do).

Q is better suited for SG, not SF (his defense and 3pointers are good but I'd rather have size at the SF considering the zero defense Frye and Curry have), but Q has Jamal and Francis ahead of him.

The Ariza scenario seems very possible, but he'd be like a poor man's version of Balkman, jajajajajaja

furious lord

Benchwarmer
I loved jalen Rose for a long time, but i'm pulling for this Balkman kid...If he is what Isiah said he is, a cross between Artest and Rodman, then at some point next season he should start, unless we trade and get a proven star at the position. Frye, Curry, Marbury and Francis are all scorers, so I think Rose would be better suited to come of the bench where he'd probably get the ball more and take advantage of opposing second units. I think Our bench will be our strength next year anyway. I've watched some of th clips from the summerleague, I know it's just the summerleague but I like Balkman's physical play, the way he explodes to the basket, runs the floor, gets the rebound and leads the fastbreak, and especially the emphatic shotblocking...If he could do this at the next level, then he could be the type of player that impacts games without playing that many minutes...maybe he could be our Bruce Bowen?

DaGreek34

Benchwarmer
If they decide to play Lee at the 3 he will get owned! He is a good looking player, but I think if you play him against the aggressive three's in the league, he will not perform well. He should get his minutes at the 4 and if we run small maybe even some 5.

Jalen Rose may have ties to Thomas but I believe he will be shipped soon. But he is more of a Point Forward.

Q could be a great player for us, if we pick up the tempo and so he can fill the wing on the break and get open looks! He looked terrible in the half court sets last year! But I think he is a good player still, very strong.

Balkman is my vote. He is a high energy guy and is very crazy. He wont be looking for his shot and with what we put out on the court, he wont be getting many shots. He is a very good rebounder and defender and this could be a good piece to the puzzle. On the fast break he could fill the lanes cause he will hustle his butt off.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Yeah, agreed on the J-Rose thing. He probably will get shipped but personally I dont think he should. Let him expire UNLESS we can get something great in return. My personal belief is we should get some cap relief. I know it dont matter now but itll maybe help Dolan start to believe again in adding some down the road.

You start be signing Trevor Ariza with the MLE. Renaldo Balkman will be good. I have faith in Isiah's pick. He has talent.. BUT he is NO WHERE near ready. He's only played basketball for 4 years so he has a lot to learn. Dont get overhyped over a summer league game. Then let J-Rose expire. Then you have a cheap SF duo in Ariza/Balkman. Both D sound and Ariza can score and his dunks get everyone excited..

poormans Balkman? haha umm sure if you say so.

DaGreek34

Benchwarmer
NYKnicks15 said:
Yeah, agreed on the J-Rose thing. He probably will get shipped but personally I dont think he should. Let him expire UNLESS we can get something great in return. My personal belief is we should get some cap relief. I know it dont matter now but itll maybe help Dolan start to believe again in adding some down the road.

You start be signing Trevor Ariza with the MLE. Renaldo Balkman will be good. I have faith in Isiah's pick. He has talent.. BUT he is NO WHERE near ready. He's only played basketball for 4 years so he has a lot to learn. Dont get overhyped over a summer league game. Then let J-Rose expire. Then you have a cheap SF duo in Ariza/Balkman. Both D sound and Ariza can score and his dunks get everyone excited..

poormans Balkman? haha umm sure if you say so.

I never heard of Balkman and I am in no way overhyping him or supporting him based on what he has done in the summer league. He is the MVP of the NIT back to back, so that means he is a pretty good player in his own right. I base my opinion on him cause he is from Tampa area and I have a good friend back there who helped raise this guy. He told me some cool inside info on the kid. He said Balkman is very goofy, like Rodman goofy. But that he doesnt have a bad attitude and that Balkman works very hard on his game. He said the kid has crazy energy and never gets tired. My boys own words is the Knicks are going to grow tired of chasing his ass in practice and will put him in the lineup for that purpose. He said don't be surprised to see him win the 3. We don't need scoring out of him we need good defense. But he only starts if we move Q which I believe is going to happen shortly in a trade to bring K-Mart.