Give me your best trade that would help the Knicks right now

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
The 1 and Only said:
Not only is our depth chart horrible but it's fragile after that trade. Frye, Curry, and Boozer aren't the most durable big men in the game. Besides you could find a better trade for the franchise than that...this guy is a potential all-star night in and night out...we have to get better value out of him than this....

I agree that Frye could and should land a better player than Boozer. I think Fyre might be worth parting with if we got Lewis from Seattle. They have a similiar type game. Both are strong offensivly and both grab rebounds but niether are great defenders in they do not body anyone up and do not have a great low post game on both sides of the ball. Lewis, though, is a proven entity while Frye is still a promise. Also, the reason why Crawford is brought up so much is because he has the most tradable contract out of all the guards and he is talented. He could land us a 4 that we need. That's why I suggested using Crawford and Taylor to get Randolph and Miles. I like this lineup:

Curry/James
Randolph/Lee/Miles
Lewis/Miles/Balkman
Frances/Richardson/
Marbury/Robinson

Next year we could use Malik's contract to try to land a position player.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Too much for role players. especially one that has a huge contract and bum knees. one thats expiring. one that cant run a team (why did Minny come in the 8th worst if they were playoff bound with him at the helm?) and shoots 33% is that good these days?.

way too much.

heres an idea..
Memphis- Jerome James, Maurice Taylor, Quentin Richardson & Steve Francis
New York- Stromile Swift, Brian Cardinal, Eddie Jones and Mike Miller

Why for them? Sizeable SG. Change. Great point guard to play with Gasol. a C with size. that can take some relief of Gasol. and still have cap relief. get rid of Cardinal.

Why for us? Rid us of Francis. Get shotblocking Swift. A little more cap relief. Bye bye James.

Curry/Frye
Swift/Lee
Rose/Jones/Balkman
Crawford/Miller
Marbury/Robinson/Collins

James/Tsakadilis
Gasol/Taylor/Roberts
Gay/Warrick
Richardson/Jones
Francis/Stoudamire/Lowry/Roberson

what do ya think?

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
NYKnicks15 said:
Too much for role players. especially one that has a huge contract and bum knees. one thats expiring. one that cant run a team (why did Minny come in the 8th worst if they were playoff bound with him at the helm?) and shoots 33% is that good these days?.

way too much.

heres an idea..

Why for them? Sizeable SG. Change. Great point guard to play with Gasol. a C with size. that can take some relief of Gasol. and still have cap relief. get rid of Cardinal.

Why for us? Rid us of Francis. Get shotblocking Swift. A little more cap relief. Bye bye James.

Curry/Frye
Swift/Lee
Rose/Jones/Balkman
Crawford/Miller
Marbury/Robinson/Collins

James/Tsakadilis
Gasol/Taylor/Roberts
Gay/Warrick
Richardson/Jones
Francis/Stoudamire/Lowry/Roberson

what do ya think?

That's not to bad! Do you think Memphis might want Rose's contract? They would be giving us Jones and he has an expiring contract that is the same as Rose's. I know Memphis likes Swift, they wanted him to stay with Memphis before he went to Houston. Also, Memphis is trying to get a strong 4 to partner with Gasol so I don't think they are willing to give up Stromile. I like Eddie Jones though!! I would love to see him in a Knick uniform and I would see if I could swap Rose for Jones! They both have expiring contracts so Memphis would still have that chip. Also, as much as I like Miller, his knees are, in my opinion, almost as bad as K-marts. So, I'd rather have K-mart since he would fill a need more than Miller.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
CharlesO#34 said:
@NYKnicks15
Point of this trade is to strenght defence not to get offense because NYK have to much offensive firepower and to little defensive strength. With this trade, I think, we get a complementary pieces to our stars. In Boozer we get a complement to Curry. He will bang down low, he will rebound and he will do all the dirty things which Curry doesn't do. So I think we will have a strong inside presence offensively with Curry with the ball down low and we will have a complement in Boozer who will pick a "garbage". In the same manner, I think, Jaric is complement to Starbury because he defensive minded PG in a SG body, totally oposite of Starbury, who is a stud on offense. I totally disagree with you that Jaric is "can't shoot and organize" kind of player. Just look on MIN in games where he was a starter. They were in playoff picture last year with him as a starter. That answer something about his organization skills. About his shooting he is a .333 3 pt shooter during career (nba.com). Eddie Griffin is only add-in for this trade to work financially. His contract expires next season.
What we loose: two very similar players to Starbury in Francis and Crawford. They are all shoot first PGs. And I think one is enough to have on your team, so between those three I choose Starbury. We also loose expiring contract of Mo Taylor which is not a big loose because we will nerver be under the cap (or not in the near future). And biggest loose is Frye but you have to loose something. For this trade it was frye or lee and I chose Frye because his market value is greater, he has a bad knee and Lee will be better as a backup for Boozer.
So we will have starting 5 with 3 offensive minded players (Starbury, Lewis and Curry) and two defensive minded team oriented players (Jaric and Boozer) which is a good balance I think. The team get some balance with this trade.

@hometheaterguy
I totally agree with you about salary cap. If seattle wants cap space that is what knicks can offer. Instead of Francis they can offer J Rose. I think that any team discussing trade with NYK will ask some of young players. So it is better to give up somone with injury history. But if you want to get two players on a verge to be all stars you should give up some of yuor projects.

@donchris & @jimkcchief88
I agree that Crawford is underestimated sometimes but as I said before we have three VERY similar players in Starbury, Crawford and Francis. So I choose Starbury.
I agree with you. I think trading a guy like Frye is not that unreasonable if you get back something needed. Lewis is something needed but the Knicks would loose out on a 4 and they are already very week at the spot. I would make the lewis trade if I also had another deal brewing that would bring in the type of 4 needed, like Randolph or K-mart. See, trading Frye for K-mart doesn't make sense to me because of the risk that comes with Kenyon but Lewis seems like a great matched trade for both teams. Lewis is an all-star type player and Frye is a young, cheap talnet for Seattle. This is one of those win - win trades to me. If You know you can pull the trigger on a trade for a 4, then you have to make that Lewis trade. What do you think?

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I like Lewis but we can not forget about the salary cap. We are still way above it. The good thing about Frye is he's a solid up and coming player with a future and he isn't killing our cap. Lewis is a monitary step backwards. At least getting him for Frye is a step backwards. We've got 30 million coming off the books after next season. I'd keep it off!

Frye: 12,240,769 over next 4 yrs

Lewis: 30,389,610 over next 3 yrs

Keep Frye.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
donchris said:
I like Lewis but we can not forget about the salary cap. We are still way above it. The good thing about Frye is he's a solid up and coming player with a future and he isn't killing our cap. Lewis is a monitary step backwards. At least getting him for Frye is a step backwards. We've got 30 million coming off the books after next season. I'd keep it off!

Frye: 12,240,769 over next 4 yrs

Lewis: 30,389,610 over next 3 yrs

Keep Frye.
I agree with the need to reduce the cap. I think we keep Jalen's contract which would essetially take of almost 40 mil in salary and luxery tax. The Knicks can't go into a salary saving mode at this point. There are to entrentched with bad contracts and mediocre players. I think the Knicks have a core of players that can be the future. They need some help at 2 positions and they need that in the form of proven talent. Loosing Taylors and Roses's contract will knock down the cap but the Knicks will still be in the same boat with this lineup. A tweak or 2 can really change this team. Lewis and K-mart or Randolph would change the face of this team if you ask me. Maybe even try to land Wilcox in the deal as well.

portega1968

El Cacique
I say no-no to any deal involving Miles and Randolph...

Now Lewis and Wilcox, I like that!!!

Nevertheless, let's stick with the team as is and wait until February to make a trade.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
donchris, what you are forgetting is that the Knicks are capped out for the next 4 years. Even if they let all the contracts expire this year, they are still way capped out. So it doesn't make sense to not make a move to save money. What you want to do is make sure the contracts you take back do not exceed the 4 years that you are capped out. This way you do not extend the cap problem past what you already have. So taking on more money is not a problem as long as the knicks can pay. So that's why you use these contracts and maybe a chip or 2 to fill multiple needs.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
portega1968 said:

Nevertheless, let's stick with the team as is and wait until February to make a trade.

I can understand Miles but why not Randolph?

donchris

hometheaterguy said:
I agree with the need to reduce the cap. I think we keep Jalen's contract which would essetially take of almost 40 mil in salary and luxery tax. The Knicks can't go into a salary saving mode at this point. There are to entrentched with bad contracts and mediocre players. I think the Knicks have a core of players that can be the future. They need some help at 2 positions and they need that in the form of proven talent. Loosing Taylors and Roses's contract will knock down the cap but the Knicks will still be in the same boat with this lineup. A tweak or 2 can really change this team. Lewis and K-mart or Randolph would change the face of this team if you ask me. Maybe even try to land Wilcox in the deal as well.

The bar could not be lower for the Knicks right now. Every one knows that this is not a championship team. Not even close to one. After a horrendous season our top priority should be to get in a position to bring in better all around players and build a contending team. This can only be done by bringing down the salaries we pay to the players. In my opinion each trade can only be made if the salary is a consiteration. We've got enough juice on our squad to make a splash. I say one or two role players that make role playing money. I'd much rather have Frye than Martin. Frye is a potential all star. May be not next year but he could be the year after. While Martin is at the begining of the end of his career.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
donchris said:
The bar could not be lower for the Knicks right now. Every one knows that this is not a championship team. Not even close to one. After a horrendous season our top priority should be to get in a position to bring in better all around players and build a contending team. This can only be done by bringing down the salaries we pay to the players. In my opinion each trade can only be made if the salary is a consiteration. We've got enough juice on our squad to make a splash. I say one or two role players that make role playing money. I'd much rather have Frye than Martin. Frye is a potential all star. May be not next year but he could be the year after. While Martin is at the begining of the end of his career.

Good point but what money are you saving? They are capped out for 4 years so why not add to the payrole as long as you do not exceed the 4 years you are capped out? You are right, we have a lot of juice and role players are needed. I agree 100% but I also feel 1 or 2 key players are needed to really cement this roster. The Knicks right now are looking to lower prices, that means the orginazation will take somewhat of a hit. You put a team that contends on the floor night in and night out, the Knicks can one again be the Prince of the City.I would rather pay $10 more a ticket if I can see my Knicks win then save 10 bucks and watch another pathetic year. Even if we add 10 more wins, it will still be horendous!

donchris

This coming season the new salary cap will be $53.135M. There are currently 17 NBA teams that are over 53M and most of them are not trying to add on salaries. Now my understading is that there are stipulations in the salary rule that allows teams to go slightly over the cap but not 100M over. I hear what you're saying about us being in caphell for four years but really it won't be that long. Once Houston and both Roses come off we will be just over 50 mill. This can happen in two years.

I beleive Labron James is no fool. He took a lesser deal for a reason. James may come to NY in 3 years so we've got to be ready. This is all apart of Isiah's master plan. You guys can talk that fire Zek bull$h!t if you want to but dude is a vissionary. Thomas brought in a young runing team with the future most dominate center in the league. That's right! Shaq will be gone and Duncan's game by then will begin to take a downward spiral. So there will really only be Yao and Curry. Now add in Labron James to this squad in thee years with low salaries and you've got a championship team. For this reason I say stay away from the Martin's of the league.

Puuuuuhhleeease, GET A FREEKING BRAIN ALREADY

The 1 and Only said:
That's if Isiah doesn't take us to the playoffs which is a definite playoffs...I can't wait til this season starts so you Isiah haters will be quiet for once and talk about something else...

Don't bet on it numb nut

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
hahaha! This cat is really serious....I'ma laugh when you get kicked out again and you'll have to get a new name...you're too easy playa...waaay too easy hahaha

rady

Administrator
Staff member
he already has 2 IP addresses banned, let's see what he comes up with now :)
but i think we should all just ignore the forum bitch

NYKnicks15
Too much for role players. especially one that has a huge contract and bum knees.
I can agree with this, but as we all know NYK always give more value in trades, and what we need now is role players because we have too much stars on our team

NYKnicks15
one that cant run a team (why did Minny come in the 8th worst if they were playoff bound with him at the helm?)
According to 82games.com:
MIN 2005/06
Top Five-Man Floor Units
[SIZE=-2]1 [/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Jaric-Hassell-Szczerbiak-Garnett-Olowokandi [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]14-[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]14 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]2 [/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Jaric-Hassell-Szczerbiak-Garnett-Griffin [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]13-[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]11[/SIZE]

You can check here
Do you see my point?

NYKnicks15
and shoots 33% is that good these days?.
According to nba.com career %
Q. Richardson FG% .401 3P% .352
M.Jaric FG% .400 3p% .333
This is very similar and most of the people on this forum will agree that Q-Rich is good 3pt shooter

NYKnicks15
heres an idea..

I think this is not bad idea but you have also minuses: bum knees (or back) in M.Miller, bad contract in B.Cardinal unprowen player in S.Swift and pluses: E.Jones expiring contract besides players quality.
But if we look only talent-wise i think we get more talent in Lewis, Boozer, Jaric, Griffin than in Swift, Cardinal, Jones, Miller but we loose more talent in Francis, Taylor, Crawford, Frye than in Francis, Taylor, James, Richardson.
So I think both trades are similar talent-wise.

hometheatergy
Lewis is an all-star type player and Frye is a young, cheap talnet for Seattle. This is one of those win - win trades to me. If You know you can pull the trigger on a trade for a 4, then you have to make that Lewis trade. What do you think?
I think seatlle wont trade for big man. They have 3 prospects (R.Swift, J.Petro, S.Sene) and established young man in N.Collison and Free Agent to sign in C.Wilcox

Donchris
Salary cap
I think that generally clearing the cap for LBJ is a good idea, but is it real to expect LBJ in NY. If we try to clear the cap because of savings I think that is not a NYK story.

portega1968
I agree with you Randolph is a offensive oriented and demands ball. That is what we have alot. Miles is a good but underachiever besides he was a cancer on every team where he was.
Lewis Wilcox is a better idea then Miles Randolph only if Wilcox is signed for reasonable money not for 10mil/year. He has only couple of strong showings and his manager thinks he is worth as very OVERPAID Nene.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Great post man. But alright.. i dont think anyone thinks Q is a good 3 point shooter in fact his shooting percentages are always low and have always been its just hwne he did the run and gun no one minded cause he made some of them and that was the style..

and i hardly call 2 games over 500 playoff material in the west man. I mean they were mediocre at best.

Boozer (Bad Contract. (47.4 over 4 years) Bad knees (3 years- 159 games)
Griffin (2 year contract. (5.6 over 2 years) Legal problems)
Jaric (Bad Contract. (32.7 over 5 years) Not that great of a passer)
Lewis (HUGE PLUS)

and we lose Crawford, Francis, Frye, Taylor.

Miller (Bad Knees (3 years 215 games). Bad Contract. (34.6 over 4 years.) Great shooter)
Jones (Expiring (15.6/1year). Great shooter. Playoff experience. team player)
Cardinal (Bad Contrat. 24.3 over 4 years)
Swift (good contract 17.4 over 3 years. good shot blocker. 9-5 guy)

and we lose Taylor. Francis. James & Richardson.

The contracts we get back arent nearly as bad. Millers knees are better than Boozers. Jones gives us more cap room. we get rid of three contract problems in Q, Francis and of course JEROME JAMES. We get a shot blocker.

i can see where they are even in soem ways.. except that we give up way less. i like Lewis and all but thats why too much to give up.

@ NYKnicks15
I see your point. But like in every discussion there is also two point of view in this one. You like some players I like others, you think 2 wins over .500 is not a playoff material in the west I think it is (look at the LAL last season), you think 6.54M/Year for 8.3ppg 4.3apg 2.9 rpg 1.5spg 0.2bpg (Jaric) is bad contract and 5.8M/Year for 9ppg 0.6apg 4.7rpg 0.7spg 1.3bpg (Swift) is good contract I don't, etc, etc... That's only personal opinion. But I think we agreed in principle that if we want to make some changes we have to take some bad contracts and less value than we give. And if you will do such a thing then do it with reason, not like in previous period when our GMs did trades just because of trades and just to try to shake the team with the new star.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Indeed my friend we should be co-GM's. I like Isiah but I know if one of us are gonna get stuck with a bad contract.. we both should haha. And yeah I see where the disrepency in bad contracts lies with Jaric and Swift but I say bad for Jaric (besides that im not fond of him) that his is much larger and IMO I dont believe we need his "skills" but a shotblocker is somethign we are in dier need of..

so im hearing Francis for Martin and a first rounder.. what do you think?

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Francis for Martin and a 1st Rounder is decent...but I still think we could do better than that. We're talking about an all-star here. If we give steve a chance I really believe he can do good for us. He's working out with lucas down in houston so you know he's down to business. Frye added muscle, Curry is also working with knick staff trainers, and marbury is being marbury...the man is always in shape. If Q can get his back straight we might have a decent line-up.