Jared Jeffries - offer on the table

thwax

Benchwarmer
Latest news from the WFAN, the Knicks have an contract offer for Jared Jeffries of the Wizards, the Wizards have 7 days to match.

Now we know why Isiah didn't want to match Butler... still think that Butler was a keeper, it's just that with all the bad contracts and trades, we had to let a good one (Butler) go to remain flexible.

On the plus, JJ (that's not Jeromes James!!! - what a mess) has been known to play the 2, the 3, the 4 and the 5... and is a great defender, and 6'11 (also young: 24)

Let's see if the Wiz match

Last edited:

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I most definitely like this deal...it plugs in any holes that we have defensively at any area. Although we don't get the banger i think we can survive without one. David Lee and Malik Rose will thrive in that role I think.

Trin_Starr

Starter
it seems that washington is stuck in a bit of a mess.

They have the right to match the knicks offer and keep JJ, but the thing is that he does not want to be there.
The washington post stated that before he signed the knicks offer, wizards mgt offered him a much better contract than the MLE he just signed with the knicks.
This shows that he doesn't want to be in DC even though he was getting more money...

So do the wizards sign JJ to a lower contract and then run the risk of having a disgruntled employee? or do they let him sign with us?

I think we're gonna have a 7' frontcourt: Jeffries/Frye/Curry

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
JJ is a good player that does a little of everything. I think this is a good move as well and he is that type of guy that I have been saying that the Knicks need. I think Washington will match if they do not get Dashawn. Also, I would rather have JJ than Butler anyway. I know you guys think Butler was going to be a part the future of the Knicks, but JJ is a more proven player and right now the Knicks do NOT have any margain of error when it come to adding players to this roster so it was smart on Isiah's part to go with JJ. This is a good mark for Isiah, now let's see what he does whith Taylor's and Rose's contract.

Hello MR. Jeffries

JJ is a great player, I think he really wants to be a KNICK and I hope to see him playing for us next season.

KNICKS: 59(w)-23(l)

NOW WHAT LARRY!!!

portega1968

El Cacique
Just another benchwarmer or have the Knicks finally shored up the D with the bench combo of JJ, R&B and MC Collins? Time will tell... PO from PR willing to sit back and watch =)

Would like to see the following group try it out together in practice or against smaller teams that are strong offensively at the wings (i.e. New Jersey):

C - Frye
PF - David Lee
SF - Jeffries
SG - QRich
PG - Jamal

From the NYDaily News:

Sources indicated the Wizards might be prevented from matching the Knicks' offer because the contract would place them right at the luxury tax threshold. In the event that Washington decides to pass, the addition of the 6-11 Jeffries would give the Knicks a versatile small forward who can play three positions. His presence likely would force Thomas to make another deal, since the Knicks have a surplus of small forwards.

AHA!!! Begs the question, have the Knicks already targeted their next move? What will it be?

Hopefully, moving Stevie Franchise, Jerome James, the Roses, Taylor, etc...

Jeffries arrival should mean Qyntel Woods departure.

So, the Knicks maybe just starting to show some life in the trade mill.

Last edited:

Ewing33

Benchwarmer
JJ may not be a star...but it is refreshing to see the Knicks trying to sign a young guy to a reasonable contract...I hope Washington lets him go!!!!

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Isiah Thomas and Jared Jeffries are doing everything in their power to convince the Washington Wizards not to match the five-year, $30 million offer sheet Jeffries signed with the Knicks on Friday.

Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld formally will receive the contract tomorrow and will have seven days to either match the deal or allow the 24-year-old forward to join the Knicks. Washington had offered the 6-11 Jeffries $33 million over six years, so it would not be unreasonable for the team to match the Knicks' deal.
However, there are several factors that weigh heavily in the Knicks' favor. By matching the contract, the Wizards would put themselves dangerously close to the luxury tax threshold of $65.4 million. Also, Jeffries has made it known to Washington management that he would prefer to play for the Knicks.

http://www.knicksonline.com/teaser/5343/knicks-have-edge-with-jeffries.html

Toons

is the Bo$$
we have so many one dimaensional guys on our roster, and those who play more than one position either suffer from a height disadvantage, speed variations or other factors. JJ can EFFECTIVELY play the 2, 3, 4 in my opinion. He has the length to give shoting power fowards a problem, and the speed to burn slower more dominant power fowards. He needs to work on his midrange J tho, and maybe put on a fewpounds of muscle, i think the combination of JJ, J.rose, Qrich, frye and lee will confuse and tire out any other, 2, 3and 4 spot guys uin the league

Finesse

Benchwarmer
Isiah, you’re The Man!!

This acquisition will (maybe) finally shut up all the Isiah naysayers. It’s an excellent move that will allow the Knicks to get younger and not have to give up any of our young players. It will also give us some further trade flexibility. Also, with the drafting of Balkman, this may spell the end of the Qyntel Woods Era in NY. I can see us going into the season with Balkman and Jeffries as the SFs, leaving Richardson, Malik and Jalen Rose getting missing. Hell, those guys as a package could bring a monster at any spot in the lineup!
Keep it up, Isiah, the doubters will eat their words soon!!

ny3nyk

Rotation player
Hold on!!!!! this is assuming jeffries does sign with new york and rejects the extra 3 millioin washington is offering him; but im guessing there is a high chance of him signing with ny anyway with news that he is not happy with his status in washington. heres something i learned being a knick fan over the years: dont get your hopes up because of what happens might be a real kick in the balls. but to be optimistic, the signing of jeffries is definitly a move in the right direction by thomas, we will have size, defence and the athletisicm is off the charts. also, is it possible/better to work out a sign and trade involving any of the two roses, or richardson? i think crawford definitly had a better season than quentin and washington will need to compensate for the loss of jeffries

Finesse

Benchwarmer
No, no, no, no!! No sign and trade will be necessary! The structure of the contract, where Jeffries will get 80% of his salary up front, will make it hard for Washington to match. If they do, more power to them! We will not get soaked by this team! I like Jeffries, but we’ll be fine without him. We need to deal from a position of strength from now on. Like every team in the league, we could use a little tweaking, but we can get by with what we have right now. We now have players others want, not the other way around for a change. It’s time to make all those bums pay for using NY as a tool to enhance their contract demands and to give some of the garbage back to the other GMs in the league.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Qyntel Woods Era? haha That lasted a whole 4 months. Sad, cause I like Qyntel and think he's very talented. He'll end up somewhere I think..

back on track..

Not only did Isiah put that 80% upfront stipulation.. he did something very very smart.. and to be honest I'm not one to call Isiah smart.. BUT this shows a sign of his ability to be so..

There will be no sign and trade.. If Washington wanted to sign him just so they can work out a sign and trade with us.. they better think again. Isiah has added a trade stipulation in the contract. Meaning if Jared Jeffries is traded after signed (in any form) a very large payment will be made to Jeffries himself.

So that should hold up Washington as well.. I think Washington wants JJ back, well we know that, but I dont think enough to have a disgruntled player or pay all that money to look for a trade. I think they will give up and sign DeShawn Stevenson two days after we get Jeffries.

brooklyn_baller

Benchwarmer
I think getting Jared Jeffries is good, but the Knicks have a lot of big men like Curry, James, Frye, Mo Taylor and the new the rookie Balkman. Dont get me wrong but, I think they have enough big men.

thwax

Benchwarmer
Looks like if Isiah doesn't get Jared Jeffries, he is going to go after Darius Miles (trading Q for Darius)... man I hope we get JJ rather than DM... there is not enough ball for DM, JJ is a great defensive player that doesn't need the ball, a good role player (we don't have enough of these) Darius is also in the mold of many of our 2 guards, just that he plays the 3!