Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Webber to the Knicks? Isiah offer

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cakalusa
    Acknowledging he was "surprised" that the 76ers were able to acquire Chris Webber from Sacramento, Knicks president Isiah Thomas said he never inquired about the five-time All-Star's availability. Webber is coming off knee surgery and has $62 million remaining on his contract.

"For us to try to take players right now at this stage of the game who are making in excess of $19 or 20 million and are over the age of 30, those don't work for our strategic plan right now," Thomas said. "I don't think that's the healthy and secure way to go."
    Your right but this was a year ago. Now things have slightly changed. We have an excess of shooting guards and over paid players that sit the bench rotting away. Plus I don't think a team needs 15 players. Consider the contracts we'd move for Webber and it's nearly an even swap. Also consider that we need a PF ( If we move James we'll need Frye to back up Curry). It's really not that bad if you see the big picture.

Here we go again picking up more injury prone broken down players....Yeah well save some cap room but at this point u gotta make more deals than this one.

Veteran

I think you are a little quick to judge. He isnt a part of our future and no one is saying that. Lets get that straight to everyone. BUT if we can get rid of three bad contracts in James (or Rose) Q and Taylor (who expires anyway) then lets do it. ESPECIALLY when that "horrible" contract for Webber only has this year on it and next year it is a HUGE pawn in being a 20million dollar expiring contract.

And Id love to keep Q but Isiah will trade this guy to anyone who will take him. he has a bad back, a bad contract, a bad showing last year and beef with Marbury.. and the last instance is what really gets him. Id like to keep him but rather impossible.

Off Topic

New thought! Or recycled thought.
    I'm reading a few articles or reading into a few articles reguarding Kevin Garnett's status as a Timberwolf. I know we all have read alot into his interviews (one with Slam Magazine) but it seems to be that he is being more vocal about his team and the teams management. My thought is this, Weber is turning 34 and is only going to be good for 2 more years. KG on the other hand's got 4-5 more years in the tank. By the time KG starts to fall of, his contract will expire. All of this and he will leave the T-Wolves. I think he will leave before this year is out.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Veteran

There is a topic for KG already started.

Webber cannot help us...he's a ball-hungry power foward that needs the ball to thrive...

Originally Posted by The 1 and Only
    Webber cannot help us...he's a ball-hungry power foward that needs the ball to thrive...
    he would be the best passer the knicks have

If you are going to take a chance on someone who has injury problems, take a chance on K-mart before Webber!!!! K-mart is younger and, believe it or not, is in better physical condition! Dolan should sit back and wait to see if Isiah walks into his office and asks him to sign off on the Webber deal. He should then turn and fire Isiah and stop the bleeding now!

Originally Posted by datruth
    he would be the best passer the knicks have
    It's so sad you think that way...

Im in reality mode. The reality is this bad team will be together another 3 yrs. Frye, Robinson, Lee will probably move on. I think Lee is the best one of the three. But anyhow, Gut the team out. Just soon enough these contracts will eventually be over. Yes it would be nice shedding some of that cap room no argument there. But as soon as say Webb was to get hurt now hes taking up a roster spot.

We need to go and get a real coach, a better GM, be conservative with the wallet from here on in. And in the meantime just ride out the storm. Marbury, Francis, Crawford between now and the next 3 yrs I would try moving them all each season. Dont let them ever be comfortable. Curry and James same thing.

if the knicks could give up mo taylor, malik rose, q-rich and maybe even jalen rose for webber maybe the knicks could try it because they dump all that salary and webber only has 2 years left and the knicks get an all-star so i see it as a good idea, and frye will come of the bench and play big minutes cuz webber is not the old chris webber but he is still good 20 and 10 is pretty good

It is my understanding that Isiah wants to run and gun. Webber would probably not fit this too well.

Originally Posted by jeckomaru
    It is my understanding that Isiah wants to run and gun. Webber would probably not fit this too well.
    If that is true, shows he does not know what the hell he is doing. Want a run and gun team build it, Webber is a post player and doesnt have the speed like he used to to fit into that well enough.

I dissagree. I think it shows that Thomas is trying to clear the cap. I think 15 put it best. an expiring contract for a guy that still averages a double double is pretty good trade bait. Besides (IF) we did get Webber do you think we'd be any worse off then having James and both Roses rotting on the bench?

Nyk Logo C-Webb?

This is a bad move, and here are the list of my reasons why:

1) He's too old
    2) If you couldn't do it with AI, what can he do with Marbury (Both players play relatively the same)
    3) He's not aggressive