Webber to the Knicks? Isiah offer

Big C

Benchwarmer
Bergen Record - League sources have told Steve Adamek of the Bergen Record, the 76ers have approached the Knicks about a trade for Chris Webber, but weren't satisfied with Isiah Thomas' offer.

Quentin Richardson, who has $33.8 million over four seasons left on his contract and Maurice Taylor,whose $9.75 million contract expires after this season, were the starting points of the Knicks' offer.

Because of Webber's hefty salary, the Knicks would have to send additional pieces to Philadelphia

brooklyn_baller

Benchwarmer
Why would Isiah get Webber and he just got Jeffies. If he get any more big men, there wont be any playing time for the other big men on the team.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Im not a fan of Chris Webber at all. BUT if we can dump Quentin Richardsons contract, Maurice (expiring) and add one more piece prolly Malik or Jerome James its not a bad deal at all.

Jeffies plays Small Forward by the way so this would not affect that at all.

You'd have a roster that looks like
Eddy Curry/Channing Frye
Chris Webber/David Lee (and either M.Rose of James)
Jared Jeffries/Jalen Rose/Renaldo Balkman
Steve Francis/Jamal Crawford
Stephon Marbury/Nate Robinson/Mardy Collins

then we can even sign some other pieces or perhaps Q.Woods back.
Webbers 20 mill contract expires in 2 seasons.. so next year thats 20 mill off the books

Big C

Benchwarmer
brooklyn_baller said:
Why would Isiah get Webber and he just got Jeffies. If he get any more big men, there wont be any playing time for the other big men on the team.

I wouldn't consider Jeffries a big man. He plays like a guard. And is really a pf. Webber is a postup player pf.

wymm

Rookie
There's a lot of different trade scenarios the Knicks could go with to acquire Webber. The one that would be most helpful to the Knicks if is they can unload Q-Rich, Malik Rose, Jerome James, and Mardy Collins for Webber straight up.

If Isiah can pull off that trade, then I think Dolan should look at that trade as the Knicks making "significant improvement."

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Webber is a good passer and he can still run. In response to the Webber comment in an other topic, (Because this is the Webber topic) He's nothing like Houston, I mean this situation is much different. Webber's contract expires in two years and he WANTS to play. Unlike Houston who wanted to get paid from the bench. This is Ideal for NY. Channing Fry David Lee, Jared Jeffries and Renaldo Balkman will still get minutes. We just need to move Jerome James. This could be really good for the Knicks. We'd have a nice starting line up and a great bench.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
donchris said:
Webber is a good passer and he can still run. In response to the Webber comment in an other topic, (Because this is the Webber topic) He's nothing like Houston, I mean this situation is much different. Webber's contract expires in two years and he WANTS to play. Unlike Houston who wanted to get paid from the bench. This is Ideal for NY. Channing Fry David Lee, Jared Jeffries and Renaldo Balkman will still get minutes. We just need to move Jerome James. This could be really good for the Knicks. We'd have a nice starting line up and a great bench.

webber got two bumbed knees but damn man i dont like houston but everybody here knows that he played hurt for the knicks and it ended up costing em

donchris

Webber averaged 20pts 10 rebounds last season. Dude still has gas in the tank and if rebounds and tuffness is what the Knicks need the Webber is a step in the right direction if we can move out the right players.

portega1968

El Cacique
Webber is definitely not the player he was out of college (duh!!!), but he can still get you near a double-double every night. Defense is now questionable.

But we have to jump at the opportunity of unloading and three of the following; QRich, Mo, the Roses and Jerome James. This is a must if we want to open up the roster for our rookies and other young players. What can we lose beyond having him rot on the bench?

On the other hand, I'd like to see something better on the table 'cause I'm certain the Feb. deadline should clear the way for some impact players.

Allen

Benchwarmer
Of course we will get Chris Webber. This guy is old, over the hill with bad knees and huge contract.

Who else would want him but the NY Knicks?

Having Antonio Mcdyess out with an injured knee and huge contract was fun...lets do it again.//sarcasm

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i cant believe ya willing to take another risk wit a old player who cant run and jump no(good for pick and rolls though), i just want to know why ya giving up on Q so quick, he was the knicks best defender last year and ya happy to get rid of em

hoop115

Benchwarmer
donchris said:
Webber averaged 20pts 10 rebounds last season. Dude still has gas in the tank and if rebounds and tuffness is what the Knicks need the Webber is a step in the right direction if we can move out the right players.

Webber's production probably wouldn't match 20pts 10rbs on the Knicks, but it would definitely be better than QRich, Mo Taylor & M.Rose or Jerome James combined. The trade would also free up two bench spots giving more time to the younger players, but based on our current situation we would have to consider how Webber would affect team chemistry. He isn't exactly known to be a stand up character type of guy. Adding him to team that already has a resident head case may not be the best move.

Cakalusa

Benchwarmer
Acknowledging he was "surprised" that the 76ers were able to acquire Chris Webber from Sacramento, Knicks president Isiah Thomas said he never inquired about the five-time All-Star's availability. Webber is coming off knee surgery and has $62 million remaining on his contract.

"For us to try to take players right now at this stage of the game who are making in excess of $19 or 20 million and are over the age of 30, those don't work for our strategic plan right now," Thomas said. "I don't think that's the healthy and secure way to go."

donchris

Cakalusa said:
Acknowledging he was "surprised" that the 76ers were able to acquire Chris Webber from Sacramento, Knicks president Isiah Thomas said he never inquired about the five-time All-Star's availability. Webber is coming off knee surgery and has $62 million remaining on his contract.

"For us to try to take players right now at this stage of the game who are making in excess of $19 or 20 million and are over the age of 30, those don't work for our strategic plan right now," Thomas said. "I don't think that's the healthy and secure way to go."

Your right but this was a year ago. Now things have slightly changed. We have an excess of shooting guards and over paid players that sit the bench rotting away. Plus I don't think a team needs 15 players. Consider the contracts we'd move for Webber and it's nearly an even swap. Also consider that we need a PF ( If we move James we'll need Frye to back up Curry). It's really not that bad if you see the big picture.

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
Here we go again picking up more injury prone broken down players....Yeah well save some cap room but at this point u gotta make more deals than this one.

NYKnicks15

Starter
I think you are a little quick to judge. He isnt a part of our future and no one is saying that. Lets get that straight to everyone. BUT if we can get rid of three bad contracts in James (or Rose) Q and Taylor (who expires anyway) then lets do it. ESPECIALLY when that "horrible" contract for Webber only has this year on it and next year it is a HUGE pawn in being a 20million dollar expiring contract.

And Id love to keep Q but Isiah will trade this guy to anyone who will take him. he has a bad back, a bad contract, a bad showing last year and beef with Marbury.. and the last instance is what really gets him. Id like to keep him but rather impossible.

donchris

New thought! Or recycled thought.
I'm reading a few articles or reading into a few articles reguarding Kevin Garnett's status as a Timberwolf. I know we all have read alot into his interviews (one with Slam Magazine) but it seems to be that he is being more vocal about his team and the teams management. My thought is this, Weber is turning 34 and is only going to be good for 2 more years. KG on the other hand's got 4-5 more years in the tank. By the time KG starts to fall of, his contract will expire. All of this and he will leave the T-Wolves. I think he will leave before this year is out.

http://www.startribune.com/150/story/616786.html