The Official FIBA WC Thread

rady

Administrator
Staff member
FIBA.com lists the game at 2 pm, but i'm not sure what time zone they're using.. probably Japan's?

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Game just ended, USA wins 111-100. I only caught the last 4 minutes, but from what i've heard it was a great game

portega1968

El Cacique
Against the US, any loss margin below 20 points is 'cause for celebration considering we're talking about LeBron, Wade, 'Melo (his grandma is puertorican), Bosh, Brand, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.......

This tournament is gonna be sweet 'cause we have so many NBA players representing their homelands.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
USA vs Italy later today. I missed the last 2 games, totally forgot about them plus that i couldn't figure yet the time. This one is listed at 19.30

Later Edit.
Ok, the game is at 6.30 am, ET

rady

Administrator
Staff member
USA leads 25-23 in the second quarter, it looks like this is going to be a tight game

rady

Administrator
Staff member
USA is led 36-45 at the halftime, poor game from the americans, they can't find themselves
It's going to be an interesting second half

rady

Administrator
Staff member
have you guys seen the final? what about that.. Greece couldn't score not even 50.. they went in the 4th quarter with just 34.. who could have predicted such a thing?

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
IcEWaTEr123 said:
how could usa loose to greece we hav tha best playerz in da world and they still find a way to loose unbelievable

The "Dream Teams" these days loose for a few reasons:
1) They keep stacking the teams with the biggest names instead of looking to fill the team with players that have the fundamentals to play against the zones. They need some pure shooters like Ray Allen to balance a Dwane Wade.
2) The European players are catching up talent wise, but the type of game they play day in and day out is FIBA style. The USA plays a game that is geared to allow the players to shine with the big dunks. The USA plays a more one on one type game whereas FIBA teams plays zones, similiar to college basketball.
3) The biggest difference with the players is the European players are just stronger fundamentally. They are better shooters from the smallest to the biggest player.
If you look at the past few years, the teams have lost because they are stopped by the zone defense and they can not stop the outside shooting. I actually think they can not play the pros anymore and really need to start sending the best of the college players. They are used to playing against zones and some of the top college players are great shooters but are not attractive players for the NBA. That is also why alot tof the European players do not do well in the NBA.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I disagree when you say that europeans are catching up talent wise. We just smacked a team together this year and they aren't even the best players in the league. We don't have kobe, shaq, T-Mac, Ray Allen, Michael Redd, etc. etc. Greece has been playing with each other for 10+ years and they beat us in a competitive game. We put this team together for the first time. All they need is a lil chemistry and it'll be the next dream team. Let's not jump too far ahead of ourselves now...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
The 1 and Only said:
I disagree when you say that europeans are catching up talent wise. We just smacked a team together this year and they aren't even the best players in the league. We don't have kobe, shaq, T-Mac, Ray Allen, Michael Redd, etc. etc. Greece has been playing with each other for 10+ years and they beat us in a competitive game. We put this team together for the first time. All they need is a lil chemistry and it'll be the next dream team. Let's not jump too far ahead of ourselves now...

The first few dream teams had the same scenario and destroyed the other teams. The truth is, as much as you do not want to face it, these European players are better fundamentally and they are better pure shooters. European players may not be as physically gifted as the USA players, but they are better fundamentally, which is lost in the NBA!

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
But being better fundamentally and being better shooters doesn't make you a better basketball player. The US players have more intangibles in their favor than just being physically gifted. Come on let's be real here...it's going to be a while for the rest of the world to catch up to what we have in the NBA. I mean steve kerr is more fundamentally sound than steve francis or lebron james but he's no where close to there level. It's great to have fundamentals but being better fundamentally doesn't make you a great basketball player. The US players are more athletic, stronger, faster, grittier aka not soft compared to the european players, better 1 on 1 ability and some NBA players can shoot amongst the europeans and some of our players are even better shooters than the europeans. You can't tell me players like Ray Allen, Allan Houston, and Michael Redd aren't better shooters than the europeans. And did I mention that the NBA ballas are more talented? All I'm saying is that when we lose...we lose because we don't adjust fast enough to the flow of the game. That's anything from the opposing D switching from man to zone or reacting to the pick and roll or to the penetrate and kick for the 3. But you are right...the average european is better fundamentally than the average american...but the average american balla is still for a long time still will be the the king of the rock...not europe. Just because you are better fundamentally does not mean you are a better player. Now that's my 16 bars on the matter...