Patrick Ewing leaves the Rockets

rady

Administrator
Staff member
After three years working with Jeff Van Gundy on the sidelines in Houston, Patrick Ewing has resigned as assistant coach of the Rockets, KRIV in Houston reported on its Web site.​

Ewing is leaving the team to spend more time with his family, the station reported, citing sources close to the team. The sources also said that the organization does not intend to replace Ewing, which would mean an increased role for assistant coach Charlie Ward, a former teammate of Ewing.

Ewing, Van Gundy and Rockets' GM Carroll Dawson were all unavailable for comment.

An 11-time All-Star, Ewing was the face of the Knicks' franchise during the 1990s when New York shared heated rivalries with Chicago, Indiana and Miami. The Knicks reached the NBA Finals twice during Ewing's tenure, in '94 and '99, losing both times.

Among the 7-foot center's other accolades are two Olympic gold medals (1984 and 1992), an NCAA Championship (1984) and being named one of the NBA's 50 greatest players.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2565770

Last edited:

portega1968

El Cacique
This probably does mean that he'll be on the Knick bench in the not to distant future.

I believe Frye would benefit the most from Patrick's coaching.

brooklyn_baller

Benchwarmer
alrobinson6022 said:
Maybe he can come back to NY and work with Curry...

He should come back to NY, it sure would put fans in the stands just to see a NY Knick Legend come back and work with the team.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I don't see him coming back to NY unless he's Head Coach. He says he wants to spend more fam time so I think that's the only thing that's going to pry him away from his fam. Family is more important than anything anyways so I respect his decision completely. But hopefully the Great One will return to the knicks...

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I agree that hed help frye out more but hed still help curry out. Fryes game is alot more similiar to Ewings and he would benefit the most.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I remember when Jordan retired for the first time to "spend more time with his familey." Then he tried out for the white sox. Oh well so much for familey. I wander if Pat will do the same?

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Please lets not bring up mj when we talkin about ewing. I'm still tryin to get over uhhh yeah

I Hate Micheal Jordan :fazer: