[Newsday] A Hearing For Brown Case Is Near

rady

Administrator
Staff member
A much-needed fresh start awaits the Knicks when they open training camp in a little more than two weeks, but just before that, there will be some sad reminders of the past season. That's when the next episode of the Larry Brown soap opera is expected to take place.

The Knicks and Brown will go before NBA commissioner David Stern, who will serve as arbitrator, to determine how much the Knicks owe Brown from the four years and $40 million remaining on his five-year contract.

Brown was fired after one tumultuous season that produced only 23 wins.

Knicks president Isiah Thomas will take the bench in his place this season. A person with knowledge of the situation said Sept. 29 is the date the sides will get together in Manhattan. The date makes sense because Stern plans to be out of the country in early October to attend a series of international preseason games from Oct. 5-11. Though the specifics of Stern's travel schedule aren't set, Sept. 29, a Friday, likely is the last business day open for him to attend a hearing before the start of preseason camps.

http://www.knicksonline.com/teaser/5393/a-hearing-for-brown-case-is-near.html

IcEWaTEr123

Benchwarmer
brown does not deserve the money, he did not do his job; its like hiring somebody to fix ur computer and the person comes and breaks the computer than u fire him do u still pay that person hell no

ny3nyk

Rotation player
thats actually an almost perfect analogy. but just to kill this larry-knicks drama lets just give him the money and let him be

NYKnicks15

Starter
yeah its not as easy as the computer analogy (although nicely done haha).
this is different from say hiring a technician or such because this is a guaranteed contract. the only way they even have a smither of a chance of not paying larry is ONE of two things..

either they heavily bring evidence or stress the fact that larry was trying to sabotage the season in order to get Isiah fired. (which is possible to do with the lineup changes, press talks, disobeying owner, and trying to make trades behind his back).

OR

you plow everything you can and wink at David Stern who hates Larry Brown.

in the end i think something will happen where either we pay in full OR stern helps us out cuts the cost and Larry goes higher up (courts and such) to get his money.

Allen

Benchwarmer
I think Larry Brown will get his money unless he violated the terms of his contract. Which I don't think he did. I don't think "sabatoging" the season or disobeying the owner (Jim Dolan is a retard anyway, who would listen to him), qualifies as violating the terms of his contract.

Mano

Rookie
Larrys Payment?

Larrys contract: 40 million remaining on his 5 years.

Ok so has he been paid $10 million for his year as the knicks coach last year?

If so, why pay a man anymore than for the year he has served, when he's no longer contributing to the knicks any longer?
Pay him for what efforts (regardless if they were good or bad) he has made to the organisation and leave it there.
If it a contract of 50 million for 5 years then give him 10 million and let's move on..

Why he pushes to get more from the organisation shows truly what his character and his intentions were from New York to begin with...
To squeeze as much money from the Knicks, secure his finances much better for retirement and go on vacation sipping tequilas and pina coladas with his family.

He should be happy that he actually got paid for his miserable efforts last year. If he was truly one of the great coaches of all time, he would have bit his tongue, not accepted any money to begin with for embarrasing the franchise and not living up to any expectations of greatness at all. He really should be paying the knicks.

RMK-NYK

Benchwarmer
Brown did a bad job with this team, but why blame him when the idiotic management that runs this team, is the one that was dumb enough to give him a GUARANTEED contract. On top of that, they fired him....it's not as if he quit and left (at least not officially). He has every right to ask for every last cent that's GUARANTEED on his contract. I have no sympathy for Dolan/Isiah/Mills...such stupidity and incompetence doesn't deserve it.

Mano

Rookie
I agree with the bad move of management by the guaranteed contract and i agree that larry brown has every right to ASK for every cent but who would have predicted such a ridiculous season by a hall of fame material coach??

What i am saying is that he doesn't deserve any of it. Why? because he isn't doing anything with the knicks to contribute to the remaining 4 years on that contract. Its like getting a job and getting fired. Does the job keep paying you for the next 4 years for not being there while you are making money at your next job? Hey if we could all do that, I would make sure i got fired at every job and be a rich man. Hey maybe Larry was thinking the same thing...

Larrys rauting the system and he didn't stand up to the contract. The reason he got that contract was to turn the franchise around and get them to the playoffs. He couldn't handle the pressure of the Garden and he actually turned the Knicks the other way round by making them the most embarrasing joke team of the season.

Why he should get anymore money for what he's done is beyond me.
Lets hope Stern can see things that way and save the Knicks some money to afford some talented championship players on the roster instead of wasting it on the likes of Lazy Jerome James and many other past blunders like Houstons contract.

Come on Garnett!.. Get over the who's going to who's team with Marbury and just leave the Wolves. Surely you have been there long enough to know they aren't going anywhere for a long time while Isiah MUST make things happen now. Sounds like you 2 guys have similiar goals!

Imagine the Big Ticket in the Big Apple!!!
Time to revive your career and put the New version of Malone and Stockton together once and for all!

RMK-NYK

Benchwarmer
What you're saying is that Larry shouldn't ask for the money because he doesn't deserve it. Ethically speaking you're right...but get real...if you had that much money sitting in front of you that some dumbass owner guaranteed you, would you give it up so easily? If you say yes, then you're crazy. And it's not as if he owes this organization anything. Especially since Larry found out about his impending firing in the newspaper while he was in the hospital of all places, and not in person.

A contract is a contract, and since Larry was fired, he can easily say that he wasn't given the chance to live up to it (which to an extent is true). It's not as if he walked away. I don't see anyway that he doesn't get all of this money. And besides, even if he does, that's no impediment to signing other players. If money was an issue, then this mess of a roster could have never been assembled.

As for Garnett on the Knicks...it would be awesome, and we can dream, but I'll believe it when I see it. As long as Isiah is in this organization you can count on more braindead signings taking place.

Mano

Rookie
What i am saying is that Larry doesn't DESERVE it. There is a difference between ASKING for it and deserving it. Sure Larry go ahead and ask for the money and give it a go. Yeah i'd try it because I got nothing to lose. Sure an extra 40 Mill in my pocket would be sweet as candy! All Larry can do is hope and gain from this. There is no loss on his part, but reaping in some extra cash. If he didn't get it, i am sure he wouldn't be complaning because he hasn't honored his part of his contract either fired or not fired. That's the facts. Larry stated he doesn't want to coach in one of the articles i read, and I'll bet dollars to donuts that the Knicks are at the top of that list now.

My point is that if Larry is not contributing to the remaining 4 years of the 40 million on his contract, he should not get anything. Simply put, my opinion.
If i got fired from a job, i don't expect them to pay me for not being there and doing any part of the job. However if there is a loophole in the system that can get me extra dollars, sure lets try our tits off to get it. Most people would. Money in my pocket is better than not right? But if i did not get it, i wouldn't be sweatin and losing any sleep on this.

Anyway I am a Knicks supporter and i would rather see the Knicks have that extra money and chance to get a superstar like KG in our team and bring our cap even lower than see the lameduck coach run away with it so he can enjoy a better life outside the nba. Sure the Knicks were dumb enough to give him a 5 year deal worth that much, but like i said, he was better off fired now rather than later.With Thomas running the show at least he will run a system suitable for the players so they are much more happier playing in the organisation instead of being unhappy.

paris401

Starter
he does'nt want 40m... he wants 52+ mill

the extra $$ is to pay for his attoney/and his pain and suffering...

my feeling is that he and dolan signed a contract, dolan fired him, so the $$$ are due to brown...

now whether he has 'earned' the $$ or deserve them is another story..

actually i admire brown... he keeps getting these large multi-year contracts, stays a year /two/three, leaves, gets a large pile of $$, and then takes another job and starts the process one more time...

he plays the system, and laughs all the way back to east hampton with a bag full of $$$...