[Daily News] Taylor, Knicks Eye Fast Break

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Maurice Taylor's days with the Knicks appear to be numbered. According to a league source, the Knicks and Taylor's representatives are trying to negotiate a buyout that would make the veteran forward a free agent.

Taylor is entering the final season of a multiyear contract and is due $9.8 million. Knicks president/coach Isiah Thomas conceivably could wait until the February trading deadline to try to deal Taylor's expiring contract, which is what the club did last season with Penny Hardaway.

But Thomas also wants to rid his roster of veteran players whose minutes will be dramatically reduced. Taylor figures to be low on the depth chart behind forwards Channing Frye, David Lee and Malik Rose. Also, newcomer Jared Jeffries can play both forward positions.
The 6-8 Taylor averaged a career-low 18.1 minutes in 67 games last season. He is averaging 9.8 points and 3.2 rebounds in eight NBA seasons.

http://www.knicksonline.com/teaser/5402/taylor-knicks-eye-fast-break.html

Trin_Starr

Starter
A turn in the right direction???
Cutting contracts of MoT and possibly J.Rose freeing up about $26mil next season....

Well maybe with all these litigations and that money whore LB trying to rape the knicks again - financially this time - it might be a sign of the times for the knicks - no more taking crazy contracts at the trade deadline and adding more salary...

NYKnicks15

Starter
I'm all for not making trades to add more salary but I think itd be a little foolish not to wait and see if we can trade them in a deal that might help us.

The story goes on to say they may also look to buyout Jalen Rose if they cant trade Quentin Richardson.

This will also save more room to resign Qyntel Woods which I am all for seeing he is a cheap alternative to the aforementioned players.

Ill keep everyone updated BUT I wouldnt be surprised if this story was leaked to see if other teams are interested in freeing up cap space

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I don't get it. Both Jalen Rose and Maurice Taylor are in the last year of their contracts so both should be easy to trade. Why would the Knicks need to buy out Jalen's contract? Malik Rose has one more year so he should be easy to trade as well.

donchris said:
I don't get it. Both Jalen Rose and Maurice Taylor are in the last year of their contracts so both should be easy to trade. Why would the Knicks need to buy out Jalen's contract? Malik Rose has one more year so he should be easy to trade as well.

yeah but we dont' really wanna trade them and take on more new contracts. We should just cut these losses and keep moving with what we got for now.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
i hope isiah cuts both of them as soon as possible before another gm sees the oppertunity to pick up some expiring contracts

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Still makes no sense to cut a guy with an expiring contract. Offer a buy out to a guy with a long term contract or some one that is not tradable, like Jerome James or Richardson.

TrueBlue20

Benchwarmer
It definitely makes more sense to try to buy out Q Rich or James. But, since they let Butler get away, James is the only backup center. Also while it makes sense to hold on to Taylor and Jalen Rose until the trade deadline, we don't want the knicks to trade for a player with an even bigger contract who isn't going to contribute anything to the knicks.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Mo Taylor has left his Houston home to fly to NY today and realizes the buyout can happen as soon as today. His reps and Isiah have been meeting for the past two weeks regarding this.

It's not a matter of Isiah just wanting to free open a roster spot or "go in a different direction" it seems this buyout is mutual and seeing they would be paying Moy 9+ mill to sit the bench and not be in the rotation this is best for both sides. Perhaps get him gone for cheaper PLUS give Mo a chance to play elsewhere.

We still have Jalen's expiring contract if thats what you are worrying about. I think Isiah and Dolan are aware spending doesnt seem to be the way and that the little pieces left that they need to acquire can come via assets we already have... Francis, Richardson, JRose etc etc

Trin_Starr

Starter
TrueBlue20 said:
It definitely makes more sense to try to buy out Q Rich or James. But, since they let Butler get away, James is the only backup center. Also while it makes sense to hold on to Taylor and Jalen Rose until the trade deadline, we don't want the knicks to trade for a player with an even bigger contract who isn't going to contribute anything to the knicks.

call me crazy but I think I uncovered the real reasoning behind buying out Taylor's contract.

It is to use as evidence in the knicks vs LB trial that the knicks have taken a new approach of getting rid of contracts instead of taking more on and LB intentionally was trying to sabotage the knicks by endorsing Jrose and Francis and then basically saying they needed to cut them from the team. In effect, he begged for over $30mil in extra salary and then stuck the knicks with the mess.

Since we only have 2 expirings this season, it was either MoT or Jrose. and they need to make a statement now backing up their claim...
Because Jrose's contract is worth more, his contract is more able to land a big time superstar aka KG plus fillers if the deal does become available.
I am sure isiah would have loved to use mo in a trade, but this move can potentially save the knicks from LB's crazy $52mil demands.