Knicks Hire Glen Grunwald

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Knicks Hire Glen Grunwald

NEW YORK, September 28, 2006 – New York Knickerbockers President of Basketball Operations Isiah Thomas announced today that Glen Grunwald has been named senior vice president, basketball operations. As per club policy, terms of the deal will not be announced.

“Glen is a skilled NBA executive whose expertise will be a great asset to the New York Knicks,” Thomas said. “I know him well from our days as co-captains on the 1981 NCAA Championship team at Indiana University and I hired him in Toronto, where he helped assemble a roster that made three consecutive postseason appearances. I consider him to be a quality evaluator of talent and a skilled communicator.”

Grunwald returns to the NBA after a two-year absence, following his successful tenure with the Toronto Raptors from 1997-2004. He guided a team that finished 16-66 in his first season to three consecutive playoff appearances, and orchestrated trades for eventual Rookie of the Year and perennial NBA All-Star Vince Carter and All-Star Antonio Davis in 1999, moves that were key to the Raptors 2000 – 2002 postseason runs. Grunwald also drafted Chris Bosh with the fourth overall selection in the 2003 NBA Draft.

“I’m looking forward to joining the New York Knicks organization and working with Isiah towards improving the team and returning it to prominence in the East,” Grunwald said. “This is a great opportunity to be reunited with a good friend and to work for one of the league’s premiere franchises.”

Both Chicago natives, Grunwald and Thomas were co-captains on Indiana’s 1981 NCAA Championship team. After earning his law degree from Northwestern University in 1984, Grunwald worked for the law firm of Winston and Strawn before joining the Denver Nuggets, where he oversaw the legal and human resources departments. Thomas hired Grunwald in Toronto on Nov. 8, 1994, as vice president, legal affairs and assistant general manager, where he assisted with the 1995 expansion draft and player personnel decisions. Grunwald was named general manager on Nov. 20, 1997.

Grunwald leaves behind a position with Canada's largest chamber of commerce, the Toronto Board of Trade, where he served as President & CEO since December 2004.

Source: http://www.nba.com/knicks/news/grunwald_060928.html