Isiah Rips Former Knick over Comments

vinod1227

Rookie
I believe these comments were warranted...

October 19, 2006 10:35 a.m. EST

Peter A. Flies - All Headline News Newswriter
New York, NY (AHN) - Isiah Thomas, the head coach and general manager of the New York Knicks, issued a delayed reaction to cold criticisms made by a certain former Knick and current commentator during the NBA Draft. Former Knick Greg Anthony, now an ESPN analyst, disagreed with the choice of forward Renaldo Balkman, but the rookie has surprised his critics by playing solid basketball. And now Isiah is letting Anthony know that he never buried the hatchet.

On Wednesday, Thomas left no stone unturned in deriding Anthony, questioning not only Anthony's analysis of the draft pick, but also his skills as a commentator.

Thomas told the AP, "Greg Anthony should never ever be in a position to question myself on anything about basketball."

Furthermore, Thomas went on to mock Anthony's talent as a player.

"I do remember the kind of player he was. I'll leave it at that," adding that "Greg could only go left."

The trash-talk, reminiscent more of Bad Boy Pistons Rick Mahorn and Bill Laimbeer than businessman Isiah, eventually settled into a kinder treatment of Anthony, who was not the only commentator with questions about Balkman as the 20th overall draft pick. Isaiah suggested that Anthony, as a former Knick, owed more loyalty and less disaffection to the franchise because of his association with the team.

"I know a Piston would never do that. A Celtic would never do that. A Laker would never do that. It wouldn't happen."

Isiah had Anthony on his brain, referring to him throughout the press conference even on questions off-topic.

As for the man who indirectly stirred up this argument, Balkman has turned a few heads so far, apparently fulfilling his own prophecy.

"It's a lot of doubters up there," he told the AP in July, "saying I'm not gonna be this and I'm not gonna be that, but when I step on the court, they're gonna second-guess themselves."

So far, Balkman, a 6-8 forward from South Carolina, has shown enthusiasm and hustle that has wowed the New York crowd into a standing ovation. The reception has, for now, vindicated Isiah and elevated Balkman's status at the 20th pick.

"I woke up the next day and I just sat there," Balkman said after being selected, "and I felt like, man, I just won the lottery. I got picked in the NBA. Number 20. Wow."

Trin_Starr

Starter
Hell yeah - i totally love what Isiah did

F#ck those guys who thinks they know the knicks - just cause they on TV and got a mic - think they can talk shit - i was happy isiah ripped him

TrueBlue20

Benchwarmer
I remember looking at the draft and hearing Anthony's comments. I was also surprised that Isiah picked Balkman but I did see him play several times at South Carolina and I realized that his energy was exactly what the knicks needed. It made no sense to me that Anthony would rip Isiah's pick. Especially when he starts praising other teams for drafting based on need. What a freaking hypocrite. I'm glad that Isiah ripped his ass.

Isiah really didn't have to say anything though, because Balkman is already proving these critics wrong. Now, they are questioning why Isiah is saying all of this now but he has his reasons and it probably has less to do with Greg Anthony than it does with the Knicks.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
I know Isiah had all the rights to smack back, but if i were him, i'd have waited a few games into the season (5 up to 10) especially since jeffries is out and renaldo could get some playtime and prove his critics wrong after official games too

Big C

Benchwarmer
I think Isiah is trying to set the tone early in the season. He is trying to tell the team that he will have their backs.

Allen

Benchwarmer
So Greg Anthony criticised the Knicks and Isiah in particular. I don't see what the big deal is. Plenty have people including myself have criticised the Knicks. So suddenly anyone who has ever played with the Knicks can't criticised them, give me a break. You praise the Knicks when they do something right, which is a rarity and you criticise them when they do something wrong. Nothing more and nothing less.

Toons

is the Bo$$
we arent talking about criticizing the knicks, we are talking about a former knick, who wasnt even a great player, or on par with alegend like thomas, criticizing his ability to make a good draft pick. if it was majic johnson, or jordan making that kind of comment, maybe i wud give it more credit. but hey, who is greg anthony?

Allen

Benchwarmer
Toons said:
we arent talking about criticizing the knicks, we are talking about a former knick, who wasnt even a great player, or on par with alegend like thomas, criticizing his ability to make a good draft pick. if it was majic johnson, or jordan making that kind of comment, maybe i wud give it more credit. but hey, who is greg anthony?

This shows Isiah to be a petulent child, who can't take a little criticism. Isiah needs to be more thick skinned than this. No matter who it is, everyone and I do mean everyone has a right to criticise Isiah. It shouldn't be limited to the Majic Johnsons and the Michael Jordans of the NBA world.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
It's more personal than criticizing over a draft pick because if it wasn't then would have verbally responded to all of his critics. Besides...Greg Anthony is a confrontational cat and isiah for the most part is also. So realized when you have drafted key franchise players in the past and you get criticized by such a former player/analyst whose credentials don't even rival Isiah's coaching abilities let alone his legendary accomplishments as a player. If you work in NY or play in NY it's not a question if you can take criticism...you really don't have a choice but to take the blows of criticism and let it flow, so calling Isiah a child is a lil judgemental and a lil childish in itself. I can understand if someone calls the LB a lil childish because of last year but not Isiah...he's taking everything with class thus far so let's not get ahead of ourselves here...The 1 ouuut

Allen

Benchwarmer
The 1 and Only said:
It's more personal than criticizing over a draft pick because if it wasn't then would have verbally responded to all of his critics. Besides...Greg Anthony is a confrontational cat and isiah for the most part is also. So realized when you have drafted key franchise players in the past and you get criticized by such a former player/analyst whose credentials don't even rival Isiah's coaching abilities let alone his legendary accomplishments as a player. If you work in NY or play in NY it's not a question if you can take criticism...you really don't have a choice but to take the blows of criticism and let it flow, so calling Isiah a child is a lil judgemental and a lil childish in itself. I can understand if someone calls the LB a lil childish because of last year but not Isiah...he's taking everything with class thus far so let's not get ahead of ourselves here...The 1 ouuut

Actually I was pointing out that Isiah's comments made him look childish and it will probably be portrayed as such by the media.

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
So what if Patrick Ewing wouldve said something then it wouldve been ok?

Hell Walt critiques the KNICKS all the time negatively especially during last season..I know Isiah would be crazy enough to against the greatest KNICK ever....

But then again Isiah needs to grow the fuck up..he making too much money to be worried about what Greg Anthony has to say...He shouldve just said well thats Greg's opinion and been done with it..but apparently he struck a cord. Which Isiah should know about because even if this team does make the playoffs expect them to be broken up, how much longer can they afford the salaries...

Atleast the Yankees keep winning their division atleast..

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Anyways what I'm trying to say is there is beef between Greg Anthony and Isiah Thomas. There have been alot of people who have criticized the knicks and Isiah ignored them but as soon as Greg opens his mouth he claps back. Does anyone see that a lil odd? There is beef between the two straight up. When you have beef between to people, one has to be the bigger man stand up and smash it. But then again...Isiah is a grown man who is a legend in this game so I think he knows how to handle himself so I don't think we need to question that...I think he has more experience in these matters than any of us can say...

Pedro De Pacas

Benchwarmer
What if Zeke's only trying, to take all unnecessary pressure away from the team?
If critics just focus on him, the team might have some more time to get it going.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I don't think Greg Anthony's comments were about criticizing the Knicks as a team, as it was a direct blow to Isiah and his judgement. Walt Frazier never questions Isiah's judgement. I was surprised at Anthony's statement. He always seemed knowledgable to me and never jumped on any bandwagons like so many other broadcasters and sports analysts. The fact is Greg Anthony as well as most of New York fans were WRONG! WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!! Wrong about Balkman being a bad pick and his ablility. This city is so full of hate toward Knicks management and ownership it is starting to effect the so called fan's judgement. It's not about Isiah not being able to take criticizim. It's about him taking up for his player and his own judgement.