Racist Press still has it in for Isiah

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Read what Peter Vescey and others have to say: "David Stern wilted...had Isiah in his croos hairs", etc.

Mardy Collins committed a hard but not dirty foul, not a heinous act. Nothing Charles Oakley, Alonzo Mourning, Bill Lambeer or Ed Pinckney did not regularly do.

But the right-wing sports pundits have still not forgiven Isiah for dethroning the Bird era Celtics. They still deny Spike Lee's right to be a prominent basketball fan, just as they deny the right of Palestine to exist as a viable state, and slander Hugo Chavez as a tin-pot dictator when the reality is that a majority of the still-functioning private Venezuela press supported the 2002 coup, as did most of the opposition candidates in the 2006 election (some dictator!!).

Knick fans need to wake up to the subtext of the press hostility to the bonding of the Knicks into a real team. This team still has a long way to go, but not so much on the raw talent road, as on the bonding, on learning how to play together, smarter, more effectively, correcting fundamentals, etc.

Keep this core together and they will get better. Compare the reaction of the press, for example, to the Celtics, who threw away Chauncey Billups and Joe Johnson to keep Antoine Walker - oh but those were white executives. The Knick debacle is about Dolan and Layden, not Isiah.

Has every move Isiah made worked out? No. So what? Some moves work, some don't. At least he had the courage to revamp the team he inherited.

David Lee for example is a still very young player (not even a regular starter yet) who ranks 25th in the league in ESPN's PER statistic. That ranks him as an unheralded superstar by objective standards. And Isiah found him at the 30 spot (in the draft).

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Too late! Hahaha. Well you have a point i suppose but you kind of went off on a tangent. I would have focused more on the Bird vs Thomas thing. But Starks is right. This is a real nasty can of worms. Although your point about the hard fowl was right on point.

paris401

Starter
what am i missing here???. i read vesey's column.. where is it ' Racist '.

can someone explain what am i missing..

thanks

nixon7

Benchwarmer
What you are missing is Weltanshaung

what am i missing here???. i read vesey's column.. where is it ' Racist '.

can someone explain what am i missing..

thanks

What you are missing is Weltanshaung - a world view that has not been spoon fed to you by the neo-liberal imperialist press. Everything about societies founded on Mestiza genocide (i.e., all governments of North and South America) that does not confront and destroy those societies is racist - by definition.

And if you cannot translate that world view to the analysis of basketball then the concept of metaphor represented in the works of Thomas Pynchon is quite simply beyond you.

How's that for a "can of worms"?

nixon7

Benchwarmer
What's wrong with ugly?

do you really wana open this can of worms buddy?? Lets stop this thread before it gets Ugly

Of course I want to open up cans of worms. I want US troops to frag their officers, go awol, join a revolutionary civil war "here at home", and overthrow the two-party duopoly.

I want a Reckoning that makes the Russian and French Revolutions look like Mary Poppins.

So an NBA brawl hardly shocks or scares me.

Get The F Off Your High Horse

What you are missing is Weltanshaung - a world view that has not been spoon fed to you by the neo-liberal imperialist press. Everything about societies founded on Mestiza genocide (i.e., all governments of North and South America) that does not confront and destroy those societies is racist - by definition. ... Bla Bla freaking Bla ...

Someone forgot to take their prozak this morning.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
What steve francis said hit the nail right on the head. Baseball players have brawls and hockey has fights every day but the NBA has it's first fight this year and it's on every national network in the U.S. Only question I have to ask is why?

Starks

Starter
Yikes, I'm gona stay away from Huey P. Newton here. (look him up)

And I'm a fan of Fidel Castro to. (My grandad fought for him during the revoloution)

I think you have the wrong site bro, we are all just Knick fans here. Some of us ANGRY, some positive... but no one wants to talk about sociology on a basketball forum (isnt' school over anyway? lol)

All I'll say on race is this. Read John Entite's book called Taboo. And then ask yourself, "If I had a chance to get paid millions of dollars to be an athlete, but might get a slight unfavorable image from the press because of a particular appearance, would I still want in?" Answer: Where Do I Sign? It beats getting the same, if not worse, treatment for my appearance at Burger King

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
Huey P Newton: Co-Founder and Leader of the Black Panthers. Your welcome everyone, I just saved you all a google. I've read the The original vision of the Black Panther Party. It's an interesting read.

Back to the Topic:

I was happy that I didn't state this first, I do however believe this to be the case. Ultimately someone going to say stop playing the race card. To which I'm relpying in advance: The race card will stop being played when all races don't have have to worry about racial discrimination. Francis is right. That's what I've surmised for the longest time. That's probably why so many people want Isiah to fail. To some, it bothers them that IT is at the top pf such a prominent and storied franchise. The fire Layden chants came well after he traded Ewing for a hill of beans, traded argueably the Knicks best guard at the time in Latrell Sprewell, fired Van Gundy, signed Shandon Anderson to a near 50 mil contract, and essentially destroyed the franchise. IT on the has already got us into the playoffs with what most would agree was a below average roster, yet most folks here still scream for his head. Look inside and ask yourself, what your motivation? As poster nixon7 said it best, Isiah at least has the stones to try something. Too bad no one wants to allow things to develop. Sometimes, I wonder to myself, why?

Starks I heard you on the Basketball or Burger King thing, and I agree. The unfortunate thing is that that is a choice human beings are still faced with in 21 century. What everyone needs to understand is that there is frustration when one feels disenfranchised. Hence the riots in Watts '68 and Los Angeles '92. Jim Crow still exists in 2006.

Last edited:

tls501

Rookie
Read what Peter Vescey and others have to say: "David Stern wilted...had Isiah in his croos hairs", etc.

Mardy Collins committed a hard but not dirty foul, not a heinous act. Nothing Charles Oakley, Alonzo Mourning, Bill Lambeer or Ed Pinckney did not regularly do.

But the right-wing sports pundits have still not forgiven Isiah for dethroning the Bird era Celtics. They still deny Spike Lee's right to be a prominent basketball fan, just as they deny the right of Palestine to exist as a viable state, and slander Hugo Chavez as a tin-pot dictator when the reality is that a majority of the still-functioning private Venezuela press supported the 2002 coup, as did most of the opposition candidates in the 2006 election (some dictator!!).

Knick fans need to wake up to the subtext of the press hostility to the bonding of the Knicks into a real team. This team still has a long way to go, but not so much on the raw talent road, as on the bonding, on learning how to play together, smarter, more effectively, correcting fundamentals, etc.

Keep this core together and they will get better. Compare the reaction of the press, for example, to the Celtics, who threw away Chauncey Billups and Joe Johnson to keep Antoine Walker - oh but those were white executives. The Knick debacle is about Dolan and Layden, not Isiah.

Has every move Isiah made worked out? No. So what? Some moves work, some don't. At least he had the courage to revamp the team he inherited.

David Lee for example is a still very young player (not even a regular starter yet) who ranks 25th in the league in ESPN's PER statistic. That ranks him as an unheralded superstar by objective standards. And Isiah found him at the 30 spot (in the draft).
Please oh god please... Steve Francis just played the race card, give me a break... Are you going to tell me that if on one half of the court 4 white players are fighting and on the other 4 black guys are fighting the only thing that would be covered would be the 4 black guys fighting?
I think that you might want to think before posting, I look at Spike lee the same way that I look at LA Jack, they are great fans and are at every game...
Calling everything that doesnt go your way or makes you look bad a form of racism is just plane dumb, if that is how you think then you your self are filled with racism

paris401

Starter
Weltanshaung ,Mestiza genocide ,Huey P. Newton ,John Entite

what does huey got to do with this??... isn't he a rock and roller??

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Kill the yuppies and take their seats (and their wives)

I think you have the wrong site bro, we are all just Knick fans here. Some of us ANGRY, some positive... but no one wants to talk about sociology on a basketball forum (isnt' school over anyway? lol)

Most of my original post was about basketball, including my years in Boston watching them squander Chauncey (I watched every game he played before they traded him and was dumbfounded that they did) and Joe Johnson (who was never really given a chance there).

I just calls them like I sees them so I am not gonna keep the "sociology and Marxism" out of my posts. But I do promise the focus (on this forum) will mostly be basketball. However, if you don't think race and class stratification are part of basketball, then I suggest you go to a game and compare the upper and lower sections of the arena.

paris401

Starter
Most of my original post was about basketball, including my years in Boston watching them squander Chauncey (I watched every game he played before they traded him and was dumbfounded that they did) and Joe Johnson (who was never really given a chance there).

I just calls them like I sees them so I am not gonna keep the "sociology and Marxism" out of my posts. But I do promise the focus (on this forum) will mostly be basketball. However, if you don't think race and class stratification are part of basketball, then I suggest you go to a game and compare the upper and lower sections of the arena.

"Marxism"... no doubt he has a lot of followers in the nba..i thought i was on a knicks website... this website is becoming comedy central..

Starks

Starter
i agree with everyone's post here. And, yea, I'm currently reading Huey P. Newton's biography.

For the record, I'm not Black. I'm Cuban, so I'm not sure it that changes my weight in any racial discussions.

I'm amazed at one thing though, No on has ever died over a sports team, and yet there is more tension on the Thomas and Marbury threads than on this one. Fascinating.

metrocard

Legend
i agree with everyone's post here. And, yea, I'm currently reading Huey P. Newton's biography.

For the record, I'm not Black. I'm Cuban, so I'm not sure it that changes my weight in any racial discussions.

I'm amazed at one thing though, No on has ever died over a sports team, and yet there is more tension on the Thomas and Marbury threads than on this one. Fascinating.

There are Afro Cubans and Euro Cubans, just like they are White Americans and Black Americans. In the end of the day, we're all human beings. So people who stress the race card, race itself are annoying and ignorant. Accually they're so unintelligent, the only logic they have in their mind is race, they can't look outside of race for a logical reason for anything. When they can't think of a solution or answer, they refer to the race bullshit. I wish more people were open minded and understand the only pure race in the word is human. We're all mixed humans with different complextions and facial features born in different countries, with different cultures, accents, languages, morals and norms.

The Press has it for Isiah cause he has made terrible decisions as a GM, and the Press loves to write about negative things, unfortunately, most of the moves Isiah has done are negative.

metrocard

Legend

Why does Isiah's courage matter more than the team's sucess? He ravamped the team into the 2nd to 4th worst team in the NBA. I could careless about Isiah's "courage" to do move, he needs to use his brain and common sense more often.