Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Racist Press still has it in for Isiah

Veteran

Originally Posted by nixon7
    Most of my original post was about basketball, including my years in Boston watching them squander Chauncey (I watched every game he played before they traded him and was dumbfounded that they did) and Joe Johnson (who was never really given a chance there).

I just calls them like I sees them so I am not gonna keep the "sociology and Marxism" out of my posts. But I do promise the focus (on this forum) will mostly be basketball. However, if you don't think race and class stratification are part of basketball, then I suggest you go to a game and compare the upper and lower sections of the arena.

"Marxism"... no doubt he has a lot of followers in the nba..i thought i was on a knicks website... this website is becoming comedy central..

i agree with everyone's post here. And, yea, I'm currently reading Huey P. Newton's biography.

For the record, I'm not Black. I'm Cuban, so I'm not sure it that changes my weight in any racial discussions.

I'm amazed at one thing though, No on has ever died over a sports team, and yet there is more tension on the Thomas and Marbury threads than on this one. Fascinating.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by Starks
    i agree with everyone's post here. And, yea, I'm currently reading Huey P. Newton's biography.

For the record, I'm not Black. I'm Cuban, so I'm not sure it that changes my weight in any racial discussions.

I'm amazed at one thing though, No on has ever died over a sports team, and yet there is more tension on the Thomas and Marbury threads than on this one. Fascinating.
    There are Afro Cubans and Euro Cubans, just like they are White Americans and Black Americans. In the end of the day, we're all human beings. So people who stress the race card, race itself are annoying and ignorant. Accually they're so unintelligent, the only logic they have in their mind is race, they can't look outside of race for a logical reason for anything. When they can't think of a solution or answer, they refer to the race bull****. I wish more people were open minded and understand the only pure race in the word is human. We're all mixed humans with different complextions and facial features born in different countries, with different cultures, accents, languages, morals and norms.

The Press has it for Isiah cause he has made terrible decisions as a GM, and the Press loves to write about negative things, unfortunately, most of the moves Isiah has done are negative.

12th man

Originally Posted by nixon7
    Read what Peter Vescey and others have to say: "David Stern wilted...had Isiah in his croos hairs", etc.

Mardy Collins committed a hard but not dirty foul, not a heinous act. Nothing Charles Oakley, Alonzo Mourning, Bill Lambeer or Ed Pinckney did not regularly do.

But the right-wing sports pundits have still not forgiven Isiah for dethroning the Bird era Celtics. They still deny Spike Lee's right to be a prominent basketball fan, just as they deny the right of Palestine to exist as a viable state, and slander Hugo Chavez as a tin-pot dictator when the reality is that a majority of the still-functioning private Venezuela press supported the 2002 coup, as did most of the opposition candidates in the 2006 election (some dictator!!).

Knick fans need to wake up to the subtext of the press hostility to the bonding of the Knicks into a real team. This team still has a long way to go, but not so much on the raw talent road, as on the bonding, on learning how to play together, smarter, more effectively, correcting fundamentals, etc.

Keep this core together and they will get better. Compare the reaction of the press, for example, to the Celtics, who threw away Chauncey Billups and Joe Johnson to keep Antoine Walker - oh but those were white executives. The Knick debacle is about Dolan and Layden, not Isiah.

Has every move Isiah made worked out? No. So what? Some moves work, some don't. At least he had the courage to revamp the team he inherited.

David Lee for example is a still very young player (not even a regular starter yet) who ranks 25th in the league in ESPN's PER statistic. That ranks him as an unheralded superstar by objective standards. And Isiah found him at the 30 spot (in the draft).
    Why does Isiah's courage matter more than the team's sucess? He ravamped the team into the 2nd to 4th worst team in the NBA. I could careless about Isiah's "courage" to do move, he needs to use his brain and common sense more often.

watergate all over again....

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

Nyk Logo

I don't think I like David Stern. He blew this thing out of proportion. This is an aggressive sport. Fights happen. There wasn't even on solid punch in the so called brawl. So what's the big deal? Stern doesn't stand by the players. He's like an overseer on a plantation. Like some one said this happens in hockey all the time. I've even seen drivers in NASCAR jump out of the damn car to start fighting. No one made threats about firing them or losing sponsors. The bar is a bit high for the NBA.

Excellent point, and for the people who believe that the world is one race....you're absolutely right. I agree 100%. But there's just one problem...you're a minority in this world we call earth. Most people believe the likewise, they believe in racism. In fact there was a study on how people are racist but it is hidden from there conscious. So they are subliminal racists lol. It kind of makes me laugh. Anyways I've been discriminated against...and there is NOTHING like discrimination that leaves a bitter taste in your mouth. I love all my peoples tho, I love my puerto ricans, my blacks, my whites, my chinese, koreans...anyone that I come in contact with. But racism...I don't waste my time with. I nip that in the bud.

Veteran

Originally Posted by The 1 and Only
    What steve francis said hit the nail right on the head. Baseball players have brawls and hockey has fights every day but the NBA has it's first fight this year and it's on every national network in the U.S. Only question I have to ask is why?
    The reason is the NBA is predominantly black, point blank. Mostly who can afford courtside seats are corporations who are white and rich white people. You can't have big "crazed" black people beating each other and injure one of those fans. You heard David Stern say he was concerned for the courtside reporters and camera men??? Yeah right. They have more chance being injured while someone is chasing a loose ball. Can you imagine if those richies stop going to NBA games because they were to dangerous??? Ticket prices would drop and they would have to let the real fans like us back in. donchris is right in saying if this was hockey or nascar, no one would care. Thats because those are white participants. Artest going the stands after that guy brought back some primal fears that no one discusses but persist down to this day. The code word here is "safety." Has anyone ever gotten injured in a basketball fight??? We all know basketball players are too big and not very good fighters. The point is that the only place that white people want to see black people beat on each other is from the safety of a boxing ring.
    Last edited by jimkcchief88; Dec 20, 2006 at 22:46.

Much props to that post man. I couldn't have said that better. I agree 100%

12th man

Originally Posted by The 1 and Only
    Excellent point, and for the people who believe that the world is one race....you're absolutely right. I agree 100%. But there's just one problem...you're a minority in this world we call earth. Most people believe the likewise, they believe in racism. In fact there was a study on how people are racist but it is hidden from there conscious. So they are subliminal racists lol. It kind of makes me laugh. Anyways I've been discriminated against...and there is NOTHING like discrimination that leaves a bitter taste in your mouth. I love all my peoples tho, I love my puerto ricans, my blacks, my whites, my chinese, koreans...anyone that I come in contact with. But racism...I don't waste my time with. I nip that in the bud.

Damn...real ass post, I gotta squash the beef after this.

jimkcchief88 you ain't never lied.

We all have to realize that nobody wants to talk about race. No one does. But if we talk about it...we get that much closer to being united. And for the people who don't want to talk about it means either they have something to hide or they want to stay ignorant...and I know no one wants to stay ignorant. Ever since my ancestors (and for some of you you're ancestors as well) were taken from Africa and spread all across the Americas, there has been racism and it has never died. And it probably will never die in our lifetimes if ever. tls501 I want to respectfully counter your post...If he pulled the race card...why was he right? Why are there more coverage on brawls in the NBA than any other sport? Why is Stern administiring the dress code for the "leagues image"? There wasn't an image problem in the 90s or 80s when fights occured more then than it does now. Why were the doo-rags and gold chains ex-ed out of the required wardrobe? Don't get me wrong I'm kind of glad that they did that because now these players are lookin like playas now. They're coming off the bus fresh to def but its the principle behind the matter. This "League Image" is really bothering me...I dunno maybe I'm alone in this...

Trust me man, your not alone. Stern hates the so called "Hip Hop lifestyle" that most players adhere to. He treats his constituents like oxen istead of like the partners they are. Stern may as well show up in his all white suit panama hat, with whip in hand. He may even ask a player to "fetch him a mint julip". All kidding aside, if the players like Iverson, Artest, Kobe, Lebron, VC, and so on all left and started a league tommorrow, the NBA would be affectively dead. If Stern left, they'd put someone else at the top. I don't know anyone who paid to see a basketball game because David Stern was commissioner.

Veteran

Originally Posted by dr.carpy
    Trust me man, your not alone. Stern hates the so called "Hip Hop lifestyle" that most players adhere to. He treats his constituents like oxen istead of like the partners they are. Stern may as well show up in his all white suit panama hat, with whip in hand. He may even ask a player to "fetch him a mint julip". All kidding aside, if the players like Iverson, Artest, Kobe, Lebron, VC, and so on all left and started a league tommorrow, the NBA would be affectively dead. If Stern left, they'd put someone else at the top. I don't know anyone who paid to see a basketball game because David Stern was commissioner.
    Man that's classic and right on point. You notice the NBA hates rival leagues and does its best to destroy them. Even the "minor" league has to begin with NBA. You are right on that the players make this league, not the commish. Can you imagine if someone like MJ started his own league with ticket prices that regular people could afford and a couple of big names ran with 'em??? I'd be there.

Veteran

the players, white,black,blue,yellow, all agree on one thing $$$GREEN$$

nobody is going to start another league .. jordan bought into the bobcats..

i too would go to see the top players if tickets were 10 or 20bucks, but with prices at these levels.. what is going to be left to pay the starbury's/iverson's/kobe's/melo's... 15 /20m a year... i think not...

is there racism.. u bet there is , but why so little noise after the penalties came down??... a little clearing of the throat by billy hunter, other then that... nuthin... why $$$GREEN$$$