First Half Grades

GetRealistic

Starter
Since we're approaching the all-star break I thought it would be a good time for everybody to give their first half grades on the players, coaching, and team as a whole.

Marbury- I’ll be the first to admit I'm not much of a Marbury fan but since December he's played extremely well. He's defense has been good and He's been aggressive on offense but not to the point where he hasn't gotten others involved.
Grade B

Crawford- Crawford likes normal has been up and down. He's had is great 4th quarters and of course the 50 point game but his defense and decision making has been awful at many points. Despite all his flaws he's still fairly young and has a knack for making big shots.
Grade C

Q Rich- Q has definitely shown signs this year. He's our best perimeter defender by far and until recently has really been stroking the 3. As of late he's been in shooting slumps but he's also been battling injuries. My only thing with him is he should post up and drive more. He's extremely strong and can post a lot of two guards when he is playing the 2 spot.
Grade B-

Fyre- Disappointing start for Fyre. The first month of the season he was downright awful but since then he's been better, offensively at least. A lot of people bad mouth Curry for not rebounding or playing defense. But Fyre definitely has shown no improvement in either of those areas.
Grade C -

Curry- 19.8 ppg 7 bounds. And that’s counting the first month of the season where he played like the Eddy Curry of the past few seasons. Like it or not guys he's a huge part of our future. He's a big time low post presence who commands a double team. Also as of late he's become better at passing out of the post. When we made this trade we all hoped for numbers like this and now he's producing. The defense and rebounding are obviously nowhere near where we need it but he's still young and getting better.
Grade A-

David Lee- I really don't even have to explain anything about my grade for him but ill give some reasons. He's our best rebounder, hardest worker, and hustles the most and the list goes on. If he can devolve a mid range jumper we're talking about a future all-star for years to come.
Grade- A

Jefferies- what can I say, as of right now he's a bust? He at times has looked completely lost on the court. I knew he wasn’t a great offensive player but he's looked downright pitiful at that end. I'm hoping he can provide us with a defense presence but at this point I'd rather see Balkman take his minutes.
Grade F

James- basically what I said for Jeffries goes for James. Total waste of money. Wouldn't Jackie Butler look wonderful playing 8 min a night right now? The only bright spot is at least he's garnering a few minutes these days.
Grade D -

Nate- I was a big Nate fan but I’ve definitely soured on him. He's just stupid on the court at times and makes stupid plays, fouls, and shots. Last season and early on this year he was at least giving us a spark of the bench, but since the fight his aggressiveness is gone. He's a good 3 shooter but he's much more dangerous when he drives to the basket.
Grade C

Francis- He’s been hurt and its obvious he's nowhere near what he was. Against Utah he played pretty well, but we don't need to be paying this type of money for a backup point guard. Since he's been hurt I won't bother giving him a grade.
Grade- Inc

Balkman- when we drafted him my first reaction was who the fuck is he? But I’ve been pleasantly surprised. He hustles, rebounds, plays D, and runs the court. He really has no offense other then dunks and put backs but I’m pretty happy with him.

Cato, Collins, Malik- I really don't have much to say about these guys. Mainly because other then Malik they rarely get minutes. I'd much rather see Cato play then James but I understand the money commitment and why we have to play James over him. I really have no opinion on Collins other then he's a Temple guy who most likely plays good D

Isiah AS A COACH NOT A GM-
And I’ll point it out yet again so Metro doesn't try to give me shit. This grade is on the on the court coaching not his general manger duties. I must tell you I have no complaints with his coaching. Were obviously a much better team and we definitely seem to have a sense of unity. I like how he runs the offense through Curry. My only complaint is on the last second shots. But that may be Crawford’s fault for not penetrating.
B

The team-

I know we're not contenders and probably won't be legit contenders for a few years. But I'm happy with this team. We've lost plenty of winnable games but you can definitely see improvement. Just think back to last year this time and how un-watchable this team was.
C

paris401

Starter
The team-
I know we're not contenders and probably won't be legit contenders for a few years. But I'm happy with this team. We've lost plenty of winnable games but you can definitely see improvement. Just think back to last year this time and how un-watchable this team was.
C

good post... except for this last para... we are not contenders, and won't be for years... but you are happy???

we are in cap hell and will be for years to come... interesting that the bobcats salary this year is 39m, 27m next year and 'zero' the following year. now i am not suggesting we go to this extreme, but sure could make things interesting..

GetRealistic

Starter
good post... except for this last para... we are not contenders, and won't be for years... but you are happy???

we are in cap hell and will be for years to come... interesting that the bobcats salary this year is 39m, 27m next year and 'zero' the following year. now i am not suggesting we go to this extreme, but sure could make things interesting..

i get what your saying man. I didn't really mean it like that. I"m happy that we're atleast getting improvement. And we deffinately are in cap hell but i think with some smart moves patient moves their is a nuclues to build on here.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I agree...this is why Dolan is cutting out any more trades or signings. We don't need anymore changes. There is nothing wrong to make a move here and there to get what you need i.e. a real defensive C....none of this garbage Jerome James stuff. In fact I'd love to see Cato start. He's our best defensive Center and he's a lot more active than James. Some of you might be too young to remember this lol but a while back Cato had to grind out a playoff series against shaq. Ultimately they the Lakers won, but the defense that Cato put on Shaq was tremendous...

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Good post. I agree about 98%. Not to ride Marbury but I think this season he's really stepped it up and silenced his critics by playing unselfishly. For this reason I'd give him and A but your post and reason for the grade is straight. Regarding Thomas as a GM/Coach, it's almost like you need to grade him twice. As a coach, no question he's solid and brings the best out of the team. As a GM, I'm really not sure. I'd say C or C- maybe but over all B average is right.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
Thank you. To read a well thought out post that isn't cuss filled is an absolute delight. Isiah risked with Jefferies and James, and though it hasn't been what I'm sure he hoped, there is still hope that these guys can except a role, and learn to excel in it. Thanks again for a great post.

paris401

Starter
Thank you. To read a well thought out post that isn't cuss filled is an absolute delight. Isiah risked with Jefferies and James, and though it hasn't been what I'm sure he hoped, there is still hope that these guys can except a role, and learn to excel in it. Thanks again for a great post.

there is no hope for jerome... unless u put a burger king under each basket.. as to jefferies i fear he is another disaster, but will withhold final judgement as he has been hurt/suspended/hurt again..

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Marbury= B+
Crawford=B
Curry=A
Jeffries=D
Richardson=C+
Frye=C+
Robinson=C
James=F-
Lee=A+
Balkman=C
Collins=F+(because of the low blow move on JR Smith, and he isn't doing good in the training sessions)
Cato=..dont know
Francis=D+(I'm expecting more from him since he is being paid so much)
Ross=D

Musa

Rookie
Marbury= B
Crawford= C (can`t shoot)
Curry= B- (Can`t still play defense. Scoring is not a big thing)
Jeffries= D (disappointment)
Richardson= C+
Frye= C- (He is young. He needs time to develop.)
Robinson= F (He behaves like 10 years old boy)
James=F- (I would love to have his job. No performance but a lot of money. I like it)
Lee= A+ (In my opinon he is the future of the franchise. I love his game.
Balkman= D- (Bad draft decision)
Collins= F- (Bad draft decision)
Cato= (Garbage Player)
Francis= F
Rose= F (We don`t need him anymore)

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Marbury= B
Crawford= C (can`t shoot)
Curry= B- (Can`t still play defense. Scoring is not a big thing)
Jeffries= D (disappointment)
Richardson= C+
Frye= C- (He is young. He needs time to develop.)
Robinson= F (He behaves like 10 years old boy)
James=F- (I would love to have his job. No performance but a lot of money. I like it)
Lee= A+ (In my opinon he is the future of the franchise. I love his game.
Balkman= D- (Bad draft decision)
Collins= F- (Bad draft decision)
Cato= (Garbage Player)
Francis= F
Rose= F (We don`t need him anymore)

Good grades. I kinda thought the same

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Grades

Marbury
Improved offensive facilitator, improved defense and much better leader than previously in his career... this is what LB wanted out of him... glad Isiah could coax this performance from him... more critical to our success than most people give him credit for
B+

Crawford
Makes boneheaded decisions with the ball... but is insanely brilliant at times... his inconsistency keeps him from being a superstar...
B-

Curry
Said this before... lousy defense, bad passing, sub par rebounding... however... he's growing game to game and may very well be an A before the season's out...
B+/B

Jeffries
Someone should have told JJ that #20 usually gets reviled in NY... add that to the fact that he can't defend, rebound or score (so far) and you see why he scores so low...
D

Richardson
In a shooting slump currently... but he's a good defender, excellent rebounder and hard worker...
B

Frye
Good shooting big man... can spread the floor giving Curry, Marbury and Crawford more room to manuever... has similar holes as curry (defense, rebounding)... but is a better passer...
C+

Robinson
Needs to grow the hell up... not as bad as some people think... but if Isiah can get him to buy into the system... could be a spark plug off the bench...
C-

James
This was a bad idea when I heard Isiah talking about signing him after good 6 game series in Seattle (where he outplayed an injured Tim Duncan)... it's an even worse idea to watch him play...
F--

Lee
Hustle... Rebounding... Heart... Energy... Enthusiasm... he reminds me of Camby without the defensive ability... a wee bit overrated I think... but definately a buidling block for the franchise...
B+

Balkman
Same comments as Lee... except he's a better defender and less polished offensively... however, this kid's future is bright...
C-

Collins
Haven't seen enough of him to grade him...
INC

Cato
I would play him ahead of either of the JJs...
D

Francis
Hasn't done anything since becoming a knick... just chashing checks...
D-

Rose
Could be productive... but we don't use him enough... would play him more than the JJ twins... but not Cato...
D-

metrocard

Legend
Marbury - B+

He has tried his best on defense. He has passed the BALL alot. His assist average would be higher if he had more spot up shooters around him and less one on one turnover prone scoring options.

Crawford - C

Has scored well. His problem though he chucks as if he's an all star. Ladies and gentlemen...Jamal Crawford will never make an all star team, unless its in the D-League, Puerto Rico or Europe. His defense is poor also. He seems to only get Curry invovled. I've seen him ignore Lee and Fyre too much. Not good for the offense.

Richardson - B+

Would of got an A if it wasn't for the injury and his little slump. People forget he was playing like an all star for a month. Amazing role player and locker room personality. Always smiling during the good times, showing his emotions when the team is down and letting his teammates know he cares about the basketball. Great all around swingman, does alot of things, underrated defensively. Can rebound and score.

Channing Fyre - F

Disappointing season so far. His defense somehow has gotten worse. His confidence and swagger isn't the same from last year in the beginning of his rookie year. His post game hasn't improved much either. Shoots a terrible FG for a big men, even Kurt Thomas can do better and all Kurt does is shoot jumpers.

Eddy Curry - C

Despite having his stats inflated by Isiah, his defense along with Fyre has gotten worse. He rarely contest shots or gets physical with his opposing player. Even being the worse man to man defensive center in the NBA, Curry is awful at help defense, really terrible. He averages .5 blks per game. He also brings over 3 turnovers to the team, which has been our biggest downfall this season. Curry's point blank scoring has been consistant(so have his minutes).

Curry doesn't want Isiah to go because Isiah doesn't make Curry play defense. Isiah won't do this, but the right thing to do is decrease Curry's minutes if he's not playing atleast average defense. He should be rewarded with good defensive efforts. His offense becomes irrevelant when the opposing player is burning Eddy Curry back. Why do you guys think we lose so many close games? We're building around offense on turnover prone one dementional 1on1 players like Curry and Crawful who get burned by the other player.

David Lee - A

He has done so much for the Knicks this season. All his timely basketballs, amazing rebounding preformances, his emotion and rage on the court that energizes the team. His popularity at the Garden...everytthing. He should start, he has proven he can be a productive starter, why rot him the bench? Kobe would be a productive 6th man obviously, but he's the best player in the league so why bench him? Lee is the best big man on this roster. No reason not to start him.

Jeffries - F

Another awful FA signing by Isiah, cause of kept Barnes or Ime who's much better.

Cookies - F

Same as Jefferies

Malik Rose - F

Good guy...but who cares? If we want morals and norms in the locker room, tell the Knicks to hire a priest or pastor. Malik Rose is too slow and short to do anything productive on the basketball court.

Nate Robinson - F

Has the talent to be really good, but is too arrogrant and egostical to realize reality. He's a 5"8 version of Jamal Crawford with no court vision. His play making skills are limited, his ability to create for his teammates hasn't been seen this season. Not a good back up PG if you want to win basketball games. I mean who in the league wants a PG who averages 1 assist a game? If you played Curry at PG he would do a better job than Nate at dishing.

Balkman - B

Shows alot of potential. Isiah knows talent when he sees it, too bad he doesn't know how to form a winning team together.

Balkman is the Knicks best all around defender, and should get minutes, especially when we're poor defensively. We have guys like Collins and Balkman, why doesn't Isiah play them?

Collins - C+

Same as Balkman

Francis - F

Please leave, than you.

Isiah, you ugly man...start this lineup after allstar break.

PG - Marbury (Play making)
SG - Richardson (Around all around swing man with a jumpshot)
SF - Balkman (Our best defensive player)
PF - Lee (Our best rebounder)
C - Curry (Our best scorer)

Wow...look at the balance.

LOIOSH30

Benchwarmer
I have to agree with everything Metro said, with one exception....

Jamal Crawford should get at least a D, this guy plays absolutly NO defense. Sometimes he gets beat so badly that you have to wonder if he's even looking at the guy he's guarding. He plays no help defense, and I've seen him on more than one occasion move out of the way of a guy who's cutting to the basket to avoid taking a charge.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is he's got all the tools to be a great defender. He's got really quick hands and good size for guard. I may be dating myself, but I think he has the same body type as Darrell Walker who was a great defender.

The other thing with Crawford is all those flat out stupid decisions he makes....all the positives that he may bring offensively are balanced out by his tendency to turn the ball over at the worst possible moments, and his lack of defense.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Not That I Don't Like Him...

Over rated? wow never heard that one before... What makes you say Lee's a wee bit overrated??

but since he's the hardest working, most passionate Knick on a team that finally has some passion... we're making him sound like the future of the league already (which he may be)... but he needs to stay healthy... learn defense and develop an offensive game...

channing frye, curry and nate get all kinds of shit for the holes in their games... but we ignore his flaws... i just thought giving lee an A THIS season is kinda tough to justify... unless you're grading on potential...

i think an A is a top ten player at their position... garnet, duncan, amare, boozer, j o'neal, dirk, gasol, okafor, webber, randolph...

i think lee will eventually be better than all of these guys except garnett (better all around), duncan (better fundamentals) and dirk (better shooter)...

paris401

Starter
channing frye, curry and nate get all kinds of shit for the holes in their games... but we ignore his flaws... i just thought giving lee an A THIS season is kinda tough to justify... unless you're grading on potential...

one word comes to mind... THE GREAT WHITE HOPE... oophs thats 4...

dig4that

Rookie
but since he's the hardest working, most passionate Knick on a team that finally has some passion... we're making him sound like the future of the league already (which he may be)... but he needs to stay healthy... learn defense and develop an offensive game...

i think an A is a top ten player at their position... garnet, duncan, amare, boozer, j o'neal, dirk, gasol, okafor, webber, randolph...

i think lee will eventually be better than all of these guys except garnett (better all around), duncan (better fundamentals) and dirk (better shooter)...

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion, but those guys have sweated it out and put it all on the floor, same as what lee is doing now. Though you're completely right about the defense and the perimeter shots, he IS working on that and Isiah is encouraging his improvement and building confidence (example: the one or two 12 ft-ers he attempts each game) I'm going to grade this year and grade based on how long they have been in the league and their skills set. I mean David Lee is in second grade, Webber is in Graduate school, how can you compare the 2? and he is in no way the future of the league, but he could be the future of the team with the right core around him. Best part is that him and Curry play so well together. (maybe not defensively, but give this time)

Marbury= A- - I don't care what anyone says, this is Marbury's best year as a Knick, and possibly his best year in the NBA. His D has flat out won us games. Yet that need to try a 3-ball hurts sometimes when he is cold.
Crawford= C+ - clutch sometimes, not other times. He damn sure can shoot, is a natural going towards the hoop, but has some soft spots on D and ballhandling
Curry= B+ Regardless of what people say about his D, his is trying to assert himself, getting more fouls called on the D than on the offensive side, and being creative under the hoop.
Jeffries= F Why did we pay him so much again?
Richardson= C Health concerns, but has the tools and shows brilliance on both sides of the court.
Frye= C- Need to see more
Robinson= D Needs to cool the ego trip and lose the napolean complex. Show you quickness with your hands and feet and not with his mouth.
James= F Bust
Lee= A Great work ethic, embraced the team, wants to get better. Big fan, great year.
Balkman= C - showing good skills, needs to build more confidence and he could be a good contributer.
Collins= F Only thing I've seen is a hard foul and punch to his dome. And when he dribbles he looks like he needs to take a shit, anyone else see this?
Cato= Incomplete - go back to school
Francis= D- Where does he fit in, and can he show his brilliance again?
Rose= B I know this is a bit crazy, but he is a great locker room guy, a veteran motivator, and a guy who can come in any time, no matter how long hes been on the bench, and come in and play his heart out of both sides of the ball. And he's got a great outside jumper from just about any spot on the floor. I wish he got more minutes actually.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
I Like that you clarified that...

I'm going to grade this year and grade based on how long they have been in the league and their skills set.

I think Lee's work ethic will propell him in the end, since the greats (Kobe, Jordan, Melo, Lebron, DWade) have the desire to be the greats... I still wouldn't grade him an A yet though... and I agree with your marbury comments completely... I think this might be his best year in the league so far...

Toby Kimbal

Benchwarmer
Clyde !

He's a good listen. Its great to have him on the telecasts. He's always giving Marbury on air instructions. What i can't understand is why the Mets got rid of Tom Seaver. He's like Clyde he's part of the history and team you got to find a place for him. Also, i thought he was top notch.