Allstar Break Reality check

BallHead

Benchwarmer
Since there is a break I thought this would be a good time to make some very real (not wishful) assessments of the team. Whats your take?

Here's mine.

Overall team? - Average. Not so bad seeing that last year we were horrible.
Will we make playoffs? - No.
What team needs? - Defensive minded PF to start & long range SG to start.

About Isaiah Thomas - Is either a genius or madman. Should keep him until January 2008. If he can acquire the right PF or SG and be at .500 by then, he is a genius. If not, then he's a madman and should be outta here.

Players:

Marbury - Improved. Should be a starter.
Curry - Improved. Should be a starter. Needs "D" work over summer.
Crawford - Improved. Should come off bench next year.
D-Lee - Most Improved. Should come off bench next year. Needs shot work.
Q-Rich - Improved. Keep as role player. Can come off bench or start.
J. Jeffries - Average. Keep as role player. Can come off bench or start.
Balkman - Has value. Keep as work in progress.
Collins - Has value. Keep as work in progress.
M. Rose - Solid. Keep as veteran leadership.
J. James - Untradeable but can fill void nicely if back-up C/PF goes down.

Frye - Trade. Will not fit with current team. Needs "D" work over summer.
Francis - Trade or buyout. Will not fit with current team.
Robinson - Trade. Great athlete but don't see long range future in NBA.

Cato - Contracts up at end of year. Can re-sign if necessary.

metrocard

Legend
Didn't know 22-29 was average. Thought it was .500. I agree with most of your post though. You're looking at the right direction.

paris401

Starter
Since there is a break I thought this would be a good time to make some very real (not wishful) assessments of the team. Whats your take?

Here's mine.

Overall team? - Average. Not so bad seeing that last year we were horrible.
Will we make playoffs? - No.
What team needs? - Defensive minded PF to start & long range SG to start.

About Isaiah Thomas - Is either a genius or madman. Should keep him until January 2008. If he can acquire the right PF or SG and be at .500 by then, he is a genius. If not, then he's a madman and should be outta here.

Players:

Marbury - Improved. Should be a starter.
Curry - Improved. Should be a starter. Needs "D" work over summer.
Crawford - Improved. Should come off bench next year.
D-Lee - Most Improved. Should come off bench next year. Needs shot work.
Q-Rich - Improved. Keep as role player. Can come off bench or start.
J. Jeffries - Average. Keep as role player. Can come off bench or start.
Balkman - Has value. Keep as work in progress.
Collins - Has value. Keep as work in progress.
M. Rose - Solid. Keep as veteran leadership.
J. James - Untradeable but can fill void nicely if back-up C/PF goes down.

Frye - Trade. Will not fit with current team. Needs "D" work over summer.
Francis - Trade or buyout. Will not fit with current team.
Robinson - Trade. Great athlete but don't see long range future in NBA.

Cato - Contracts up at end of year. Can re-sign if necessary.

not bad... my problem with the current knicks is if we look down the road ..next year, the year after, and we still have the main cast of characters, do we contend for the title?? i see no chance of a title, so what do we do... plod along maybe getting to 500 next year, getting into the playoff's for a 1st round knockout, or do we gut the team, sux for a year or two, aquiring players for the long haul.

tough decisions...

I agree with alot of what you said, but some things need to be changed, for instance David lee is first in the league in FG percentage, and is in the top five in rebounds and gets a double double almost every night... theres no way this guy can keep coming off the bench when he plays better than anyone on the team, and he shows the most hustle, and shows the biggest desire to win .. not to mention he is ripping up in the rookie challenge... he is by far the best knick -- and im not sure how anything can be said about mardy collins.. you cant see potential in someone when they play the last two minutes of the games we get blown out in.. and i might be a little unreasonable when i say your wrong about nate robinson, but i still beleive he can be one of the best bench players in the nba, he plays with a lot of energy and he really hustles but hes just gotta keep his ego down a lil bit.. he might be better as a SG than a PG though cuz he doesnt look to pass enough... but i think everything else you sed is very accurate, and frye really does need to be traded asap --

dig4that

Rookie
Alright here is my take on this team this year using ballhead's method. And good assessment but I have some different ideas for the long haul.

Overall team? - Average. As for Metrocard's comment, how many games were decided by only a few points or a last minute defensive stop or shot? And I know, that's what makes a great team or not, but they don't get blown out often anymore, and I think they are better than a lot of teams you would call average this year. So I say average.
Will we make playoffs? - Nope.
What team needs? - A real direction of roles and a close look at who stays and who goes from a team standpoint. A big contract extension for Lee as well. And another good draft day (PG)

Isiah Thomas - Good moves and bad, showing progress, continue that into 2008 and keep, if we see anything remotely close to back peddling from where we are now, even a bad start next season, he's got to go.

Players:

Marbury - Improved. Should be a starter. Need an unselfish backup or a change in Nate's attitude, because he might go down for long stretches with that knee and other injuries.
Curry - Improved. Should be a starter. Needs "D" work over summer. (Completely agree, and he needs to work on his FT% if he's gonna get fouled so much, and his interior passing if he's gonna get doubled. But he's got time.)
Crawford - Improved. Should come off bench next year. (Agree. Love his skills and attitude.)
D-Lee - Pay what he deserves and plug into starting lineup. (Make him happy as a Knick over anyone else.) Needs to work on strength and perimeter D if he's gonna play the 3 spot and 4 spot in a small lineup. Definetly improve perimeter shot. If he does this he can work on ball handling and footwork and become a better scoring threat one-on-one.
Q-Rich - Improved. Keep as 6th man or 2 guard. Potential 3-point threat, work on that above hitting those weights so hard.
J. Jeffries - Don't know. Skills sometimes, crap other times. Unforced turnovers, bad ball handling, shifty defense. Maybe it's a confidence thing, but I don't see what Isiah sees. Keep as deep bench in case of injury I guess. I really don't know.
Balkman - Has value. Keep as work in progress, showed he can be a big lift off the bench, could develop nicely over next few years to be a real 3 spot-filler.
Collins - Who knows. Keep if no one else wants him. I see a smug face and bench warmer. Hope he's good in practice.
M. Rose - Solid. Keep as veteran leadership. (Completely agree.)
J. James - Untradeable but can fill void nicely if back-up C/PF goes down. (Agree, but no more calling his number, and work on D with Curry in practice.)

Frye - Keep, work out the kinks, develop strength ( have him work out with Q Rich ) and use as starting 4. His perimeter jumpers are reminiscent of Patrick, and if he can hit those more consistently he is a offensive threat. Definetly needs to work hard on the defensive side, develop quicker reactions and be interior presence. If he shows any improvement in that D he can be a All-Star.
Francis - Trade or buyout. Will not fit with current team. (Agree)
Robinson - Don't know. Keep if he can be a solid backup to marbury and work on his selfish tendencies. Trade if he can't tone down the ego and focus. And I'm sick of him not being able to accept when he's fouled someone. Just cause you small dont mean you cant foul someone.

Cato - Who cares? (Sorry Kelvin, but it's the truth)

Trades: If anyone ( and I mean ANYONE ) wants James or Francis, let them have them at a steal. I mean James for a lemon pie and Francis for a snowblower.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
I agree with most of you guys... except i'd keep frye in the starting lineup sand bring in dlee off the bench... this way...
1 steph, 2 crawford 3 qrich 4 frye 5 curry
this way frye, crawford (if he can ever learn how to shoot) and qrich can spread the floor... so curry and steph have more room to work... and... qrich will make up the rebounding deficiencies of curry and frye... they'd be soft defensively unless curry steps it up in the summer... and i think he might be able to if he has the work ethic...

off the bench lee, robinson and balkman are available to up the energy, enthusiasm, rebounding and defense... while i agree dlee is the best player on the squad... frye's confidence is much more shakey than his and as a result performs well when he's in the starting role... i like dlee in that role unless he develops into a 15/15 guy (a la camby) and can play defense... otherwise... i think frye's development would be hindered more than dlee's would benefit from starting right away... but i trust isiah as a coach... i think the team has his back and his players trust his judgement... that's the first step toward contention...

i also think we have an outside shot at the playoffs... the Nets are sinking (unless they get gasol and healthy)... and the raptors are not yet a lock for the crown...