Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Isiah Thomas gets an extension

Breaking News Isiah Thomas gets an extension

Isiah Thomas has survived his one-season ultimatum, with a month to spare. Thomas, the Knicks' president and coach, will be given a multiyear extension today, according to a person briefed on the matter.

The extension means that James L. Dolan, the Madison Square Garden chairman, has seen the "evident progress" that he demanded of Thomas last June. Dolan ordered Thomas to coach the team after firing Larry Brown and told Thomas he had one year to show progress or be fired as both coach and president.

With 19 games left to play, the Knicks have shown clear progress, though they remain a losing team, at 29-34. Over the weekend, the Knicks moved into eighth place in the Eastern Conference, which would qualify them for the playoffs. The Knicks have not been to the postseason since 2004.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

We still have 19 games to play, and a lot of things can happen, does anyone think this was a premature decision?

Yea its totally premature. But I see why it was announced. Its all about momentum. The team's momentum has peaked with this news. But there is def a downside. If the Knicks collapse, or if we get swept w/o much of a fight, then I don't see how Dolan would be able to defend himself for rest of proffesional career. He would go down as one of the worst sports executives in United States history without a question.

I think it actually puts more pressure on Thomas... somehow his seat got a hell of alot hotter.

no i think this was a good decision. these were the same players as last year except for jared jeffries. the only exception to that is david lee who has obviously improved considerably into the best 6 man in the league. isiah has gotten them to never give up and never be out of any games. the crowd is back at the garden and the players enjoy to be there. this alone should give him his job as knicks fans can finally be happy again. he has done a great job and we have made enough progress for this decision to take place.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Too early, not suprised. I don't like it, but what can I say. I'm not in charge, just a fan. We're 5 games under .500 in the era when the East is at its weakest. I just hope Isiah steps down as GM, I don't mind his ugly face as the head coach.

Go 1990s New York Knicks! nyKnicks126's Avatar

Great it kinda ties in with the thread I made like a week ago about What you guys think about Isiahs fate. Well I guess we already know. I am happy he signed an extension.

IT got his extension, great. He will be another in a long line of coaches and executives that Dolan will pay to go away. In the mean time the knicks will continue to play sub .500 basketball.

I knew this would come. And he gets an extension and rightfully so. It seems like what I've been saying in the past is manifesting in the present and hopefully the future. I think the person who I was arguing with in the past...(I don't remember the name lol)I think he was dead wrong...DEAD WRONG....

Veteran

Too early to extend Isiah now, but its what you would expect from a shoot from the hip owner like Dolan. The Bears didn't extend Lovie Smith until he made it to the Super Bowl but Dolan extends Isiah when the Knicks climb into the last spot in the seedings, that's Dolan for you.

I have to give props to Isiah and the job he has done as coach, I can't ever remember a player coming out threatening to quit if they fired the coach. His players like him and play hard for him unlike that waste of space, overrated Larry Brown.

I'm glad to see isiah got the extension. I've always liked him for what he did with toronto, indiana and now the knicks. What ever happened to sadknicks.com? I'm about to find out.

Nyk Logo

im glad IT got his extension, although it is probably pretty early. i think dolan ment to take some of the pressure off of thomas, but i think he actually put more ppressure on him.

He probably should have waited till the end of the season, but we'll see how this plays out.

Thumbs up Isiah's Extention

I'm glad Dolan extended him! This completely makes a certain person who I blew up at months ago look FOOLISH!!! I won't mention his name! The reason I blew up at him was because I read a comment he posted on my birthday (December 18th to be exact) That the team should have been gutted on that day and started over from scratch!Everyone has got to know who I'm talking about!You know who,don't you 1 and Only?He's mentioned in everyone of your posts at the bottom.

iv backed isiah since day 1. the guy walked into a mess. the team was old short and unathletic when he took over and now we are young big and athletic

Originally Posted by George M.
    I'm glad Dolan extended him! This completely makes a certain person who I blew up at months ago look FOOLISH!!! I won't mention his name! The reason I blew up at him was because I read a comment he posted on my birthday (December 18th to be exact) That the team should have been gutted on that day and started over from scratch!Everyone has got to know who I'm talking about!You know who,don't you 1 and Only?He's mentioned in everyone of your posts at the bottom.
    Who you talkin about....ballsinyajaws? haha....yea I won't call his monkey face out but it's nice to prove someone wrong while they fade into oblivion right? lol...and I know for a fact we speak for a lot of people on this site...

This is exactly what I foresaw. The Knicks finally have a coach and GM that the players actually believe in. With more consistency from the players (I mean more than they've given thus far) this team will be a force. Congratulations Isiah, You've earned this!!!

To all the IT nay sayers who never have any independant thoughts of their own, only borrowed ones all I can do is laugh. When I heard of the extension I just had to laugh. IT beat everyone who said he couldn't last. Considering what he started here with (Nothing), he's made this team over in a hurry. A few key pieces this team could be deadly!!
    Last edited by dr.carpy; Mar 12, 2007 at 22:20.

Originally Posted by The 1 and Only
    Who you talkin about....ballsinyajaws? haha....yea I won't call his monkey face out but it's nice to prove someone wrong while they fade into oblivion right? lol...and I know for a fact we speak for a lot of people on this site...
    Yo 1 and Only: Look at the thread named "Progress?? Look what we've become!! We've got a potential Garbage/Disgraced Knick fan of the Week.You've got to read this turd's comments!!!!!!!!!!!!