Thread: A realistic discussion on the Knicks.

Hybrid View

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Default A realistic discussion on the Knicks.

No "homers" or "haters"

Well, we're 31-44. I guess its better than 23 wins. Just sucks Chicago has our draft pick again this year, makes me think if Curry was worth it all.

The first point I want to make is I believe individual efforts do not become winning basketball. That is what people do not get. they are grasping at any good game from a young player as if its going to translate to wins next year. We need some kind of infussion , major changes, something. Maybe a new coach.

Secondly, we should realize by now that Collins and Balkman can play. Mardy Collins is already the best decision maker on this team arguably, he knows where the ball should go, always under control and composed, and he's been able to get to the basket, he looks just infinitely more confident by each game. Balkman's energy reminds me of Sprewell's, though are very different players

Curry has 33 turn overs over 6 games. That's 5.5 TOs per game. 16 over the last 2 games...I like Curry's ability to score, but I can't see us winning games with Eddy as the primary option. He gives up too many posessions offensively and defensively. I mean, if Curry was averaging 27 points per game on 4 turnovers a game, I wouldn't have a problem with him. But its 18 points per game in alot of minutes, and he's among the league leaders in TO's, you feel me? Not a good sign. I hope Curry works on passing out of double teams. It would really improve our offense so much, thats what I'm looking foward to next season...hopefully it works out.

The last topic I want to topic about is our starters Frye and Jefferies. Jeff was brought here to be a defensive stopper. But I don't know how many times Jaric was left wide open. Jefferies is poor offensively, and average at best defensively. I don't know what Jefferies is better at than Balkman. I haven't seen it, so I don't know why he's starting over Balkman, especially when our season is over. Atleast give the kid starter experience.

Frye...is suppose to be a jumpshooter...but he isn't hitting his shots. Just like how Jefferies is suppose to be a defender, but doesn't defend well.

Well, share your points here...

First of I'd like to say, this is a well thought out post. I don't think we need major upheval though. I think we have to give the core guys time to learn from the mistake of missing the playoffs. It will sting to know that they could've decided the own fate and left it on the table. That will hopefully translate into guys hitting the gym to develop their shooting, working on defensive rotations or footwork. Guys here are good players. I agree with you that Balkman is outstanding. He's got some Gerald Wallace type game (Hard rebounder, defends well, goes to the basket).

Curry literally has the weight of the world on his shoulders. He has to try to fill in for a hall of famer in the Mecca of Basketball. Not an enviable task. You can see that Curry is pressing. He feels responsible to prove that Isiah didn't make a mistake by bringing him in. That's hard for anyone, even harder when your 24. The pressure is getting to him. The off season will tell what Curry is made of. He has to go develop his rebounding, timing and footwork. If he does those things, he'll be well on his way to becoming one of the best centers in the Association.

Jeffries should be a bench player or moved. With the emergence of Balkman, Jeffries is only stealing minutes. Frye doesn't have the "ferocity" to be a starter. The same thing could've been said about a reformed "soft forward" in Toronto named Chris Bosh. I think the similarities are there. Frye just has to want it. This is where management needs to sit him down outline a plan with him. If he feels like he can't deliver, he should be moved. That's my 2 cents. I hope guys challenge themselves to get better.

Lurker

Huge Knick fan. Disappointed about the ending of our season. Injuries certainly had a lot to do with our demise, but not everything. We certainly have some flaws to address and I hope Isiah is able to address those. Despite these flaws, I am already excited about the prospect of next year (I think I might say that every year, but I mean it more this time). In order for next year to be a success, the players need to work hard to specific areas of their games and I hope they have the drive to do that!
    CURRY- If someone said Curry would avg 19 and 7 this year and be considered for an all-star selection, we would have all taken it and be excited. I agree with dr. carpy- he needs to work on passing out of double teams, rebounding, timing (blocks and rebounding), and footwork. A 7-10 foot jump shot would help, as Isiah has said. He really has a nice shot (see 3 point shot last night), great form, soft touch.

Frye-needs to work on post up game to complement his outside touch. has to work on becoming more aggressive and becoming better around the basket. Needs to improve rebounding and shot blocking as well. if he doesn't, he will not become what we hope he will.

Lee- maintain his high energy level (no doubt he will). needs to improve defense and continue to improve his post up skills (tends to get ball stripped in traffic). consistenly hit 15 foot jump shot!

Balkman- improve jump shot, otherwise love his energy and athleticism.

Crawford- how do we make him a pure shooter- that would be ideal! Needs to cut down on turnovers, is very careless with the ball. Also, needs to have the mindset of not taking bad shots and make effort to drive to the basket as often as possible

Robinson- probably a bench player for his career. he is one of our best shooters, provides energy off the bench. needs to work on cutting down turnovers and making better decisions on the floor

Jeffries- I agree with Metrocard- he was brought here for his defense and I am not overly impressed with it. I do however believe that b/c of his injury and then suspension, he was never able to get into the flow of the season. He has shown signs of being a scrappy player who gets his hands on the ball, creates deflections, gets some blocks and rebounds. Needs to learn how to shoot (free throws and jump shot). Has counter clockwise spin- never a good sign

Marbury- needs to heal and continue to build off of what he did this year. Like steph more than ever

Collins- MUST BE ABLE TO HIT 10-20 FOOT JUMP SHOT CONSISTENTLY. Very impressed with ability to drive to the basket and create. A consistent jump shot will only help that aspect of his game.

Richardson- not sure what to say. I'd actually like the knicks to use him in the post more often. He needs to work with the strength and conditioning coach to improve his fitness, core strength, flexibility to help him get over his back injuries

Francis- don't want him here- dominates the ball too much, high turnovers, not what he once was

Rose- keep him here as long as he never plays and is just a clubhouse guy. Love his energy but don't love his skills!

I think we need to get a pure shooter- someone who consistently will hit open shots. this will allow Eddy and possibly Q, or C Frye to become better post players because teams won't be able to easily double team. As of now, they double Eddy and we have no answer b/c we have jeffries, balkman, collins, lee, rose, etc

Untradeables: I would love to build around: lee, curry, balkman, frye (i think you will agree with this after next year, he is a very hard worker and I bet he patches up his game this offseason!) I would trade crawford for a pure shooter any day.

All I could think of right now. Maybe some replies will get me thinking of other things to say.

This was my first post. Love the knicks and just hope they can win one championship in my lifetime!!!

Veteran

i will never understand why IT brought this guy in. yes he was injuired and suspended for part of the season, but he has been healthy and playing for a while now, and the only word that comes to mind is ... he sucks.. ok two words.

going forward if he is our starting forward, i don't see how we move up to the next level 'elite'... ok two or 3 steps up...

if we look at other teams who are in the playoff's, i don't think jefferies would be a starter on any of them. he's just not that good of a "D" player to overcome his total lack of "O"..

as to qrich.. i liked his game earlier in the season before his back became an issue... usually when u have a back like qrich it is chronic condition.

i like jefferies, he does things that dont show up on the stat sheet, right now im currently liking him more than frye, as of right now, frye has got to go

I think the only reason Curry is averaging only 18 PPG is because he just started playing well and dominating (on a scorer's point) during the 2nd half of the season. And when I say 2nd half, i mean sometime after the first 35-40 games of the season, and not after the all star break. He probably averages around 22-24 PPG had he been playing the way he has since the start of the season. And I think the numerous turnovers lately can be attributed to him getting even more touches due to the ever growing number of starters getting injured. Overall I think he's definitely on the right direction. He just really has to improve on rebounding and defending. And of course passing out of the double team. He should watch tapes of how Shaq does it.

I agree with nixrool on Frye. I've been thinking about it all season long. He should also have a post game.

So far I'm still not impressed with Jefferies. I think it was an overrated acquisition for his "defense".

We have to admit that Collins and Balkman indeed were much much better than we had anticipated.

On an overall standpoint I don't think any major changes are needed for the Knicks. But if we could land a bonafide superstar/all-star then why not, especially someone who could infuse more defense into the team.

This team lost 4 of it's top 5 scorers and 2 best rebounder's, and still plays hard every night. They have lost a lot of games but many of them were close. The loss of Crawford hurt them in the 4th quarter because he was there go to guy. The good thing about this season if anything is that we got to see what this team and some players like Collins and Balkman are capable of. We play very well against the top teams like Dallas and Detroit but don't show up against teams like Boston or Charlotte.

Next years team:
    Eddy Curry C(Defense must improve)
    David Lee F(Defense must improve, and he needs to work on that jumper)
    Renaldo Balkman F
    Malik Rose F (He does the little things that can help you win games, and can score and pass to Curry)
    Quentin Richardson GF(Just stay healthy)
    Jared Jeffries GF(Free throws must improve, and should try to drive to the basket more)
    Jamal Crawford SG(Defense must improve, could pass very well )
    Stephon Marbury PG(Just stay healthy with Collins and Nate he does not has to play so many minutes every night)
    Nate Robinson G (Defense must improve along with turnovers)
    Mardy Collins PG (Did not realize how good of a player he was till the last couple of games, would like to see him and Crawford on the court together in the 4th quarter)

We should trade:
    Steve Francis PG(Not needed)
    Channing Frye FC(He's to soft to play for a NY team )
    Jerome James FC( what a waste, hopefully he comes in shape next season)
    Randolph Morris FC (Have not seen him play)

I don't know if these guys are enough to get a guy like Jermaine O'Neal, but he would be a great addition to this team. To get a guy like him we would probably have to give up a guy like Lee or Balkman but that is not something I think Isaih would or should be giving up.

Nyk Logo Fine tune

I think that the main things our team needs to work on is free throws and assists, i believe we have a good squad, and criticizing everyone weakneses dosent help the team, each ones individual strengths make the team. crawfords d is improving, and if we have a player at the 3 spot who is lengthy they can cover crawfords slip ups on their defensive sets, different story tho, as i was saying, we lost 17 games this season by 10 or less points this season, each of those games, we missed 10 or more freethrows collectively. The knicks are 4 spots above last in free throw percentage. this leads me to believe that if 5 players hit 2 more free throws, 17 more games would have gone into overtime, or the outcome might not have turned out in an L. Another point is assists, marbury is NOT a point guard....dispite his size, even tho steph isnt small, we need a pass first pg, forget ray allen, we need a luke ridnour on our team, some kind of pass first pg, who can hit the 3, who's free throw percentage is a knack away from 90%, late in the game, when curry is our option, who is our safe men to knock down big free throws? every player who shoots a free throw has my heart in my throat, we need a crowd cooler at the end of the games. we also win 20% of our games when our opponent scores 100+ but we win 60% when we score 100 pluss, we need sharper passes, a pg (nate, francis an marbs are 2 guards) better free throw shooting, heart....a lot of times, heart is the difference between a w and an l.

If we had hit our FREE THROWS, we might have won at least 50% of the 17 games we lost off of bad shooting at the charity stripe, thats another 8 w's under the knick belt. I say keep the squad we have, nothing i mentioned just now exceeds the capacity of any of our players. KNICK IN 07-08

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by Toons
    I think that the main things our team needs to work on is free throws and assists, i believe we have a good squad, and criticizing everyone weakneses dosent help the team, each ones individual strengths make the team. crawfords d is improving, and if we have a player at the 3 spot who is lengthy they can cover crawfords slip ups on their defensive sets, different story tho, as i was saying, we lost 17 games this season by 10 or less points this season, each of those games, we missed 10 or more freethrows collectively. The knicks are 4 spots above last in free throw percentage. this leads me to believe that if 5 players hit 2 more free throws, 17 more games would have gone into overtime, or the outcome might not have turned out in an L. Another point is assists, marbury is NOT a point guard....dispite his size, even tho steph isnt small, we need a pass first pg, forget ray allen, we need a luke ridnour on our team, some kind of pass first pg, who can hit the 3, who's free throw percentage is a knack away from 90%, late in the game, when curry is our option, who is our safe men to knock down big free throws? every player who shoots a free throw has my heart in my throat, we need a crowd cooler at the end of the games. we also win 20% of our games when our opponent scores 100+ but we win 60% when we score 100 pluss, we need sharper passes, a pg (nate, francis an marbs are 2 guards) better free throw shooting, heart....a lot of times, heart is the difference between a w and an l.

If we had hit our FREE THROWS, we might have won at least 50% of the 17 games we lost off of bad shooting at the charity stripe, thats another 8 w's under the knick belt. I say keep the squad we have, nothing i mentioned just now exceeds the capacity of any of our players. KNICK IN 07-08
    Marbury can hit 3's too...plus Ridnour is like a 34% career 3pt shooting, he isn't as good as you think.

We don't need a pure PG, we need a center who knows how to pass out of double teams. Hopefully Curry can develop into that.

Marbury is fine.

Agreed...Marbury is far from our problem. In my opinion he's our best offensive option on the team. Curry will get better with time and only way he'll get better is to continue to feed him the ball. That 15 foot jumper is coming next year...or at least that's what Isiah has guaranteed...

curry, lee, balkman, and collins all need to work on their jumpshot

curry, francis (if hes still a knick), mardy, nate, marbury, and crawford need to cut back on turnovers big time

and isiah has to stop wasting all our dam time-outs to yell @ nate. i hate seeing us run out of 'em when we need them in the final 2 minutes during a close game

Originally Posted by The 1 and Only
    Agreed...Marbury is far from our problem. In my opinion he's our best offensive option on the team. Curry will get better with time and only way he'll get better is to continue to feed him the ball. That 15 foot jumper is coming next year...or at least that's what Isiah has guaranteed...
    I'm a lot more concerned about Curry learning to position himself better defensively, than any jump shot he may develop. Better positioning will obviously help his general defense, but it will also help he defensive rebounding, I really think he can average ten boards a game if he can just improve his positioning.

Hiring Ewing as an assistant coach, would go a long way to address this weakness in Currys' game.

The mentality of rebounding needs to be aquired before positioning is concerned. He can be in position but if he doesn't feel like rebounding then someone can get better position and get it. Rebounding is a man's job...it's not like scoring or dishing. Rebounding requires mental toughness...such as the likes of Balkman and Lee. But yes Curry needs to work on his positioning...but after he gets his mind right...

Veteran

Unhappy

Since the season is now all but over I might as well throw my two cents in. All of this should be taken with a grain of salt because I rarely see the games and when I do the Knicks always throw up a stinker like the other night. I think Isiah is way over his head for this job. He has an eye for talent and would make a good scout, but as a gm/coach he is terrible. You would think a guy with championship rings would understand the basic make-up of a team but Isiah doesn't. Its like that team at the gym that has alot of talent and talks junk but gets routinely spanked because they don't know how to win. This team has no leadership. In the past we always had a Patrick Ewing or Allen Houston, or LJ or Spree to rescue us when the chips were down. No longer because nobody takes responsibilty on this team would instead blame the other team for running up the score. Thats ridiculous. How about showing up in the first place??? As much as "Starbury" played better than I thought he ever could, he still didn't even get the team to the playoffs so the loser tag still applies. I don't wanna hear about injuries because every team is subject to those. Miami held there own after losing flash, but Isiah cannot inspire like effort out of his teams. All those guys are just drawing a paycheck. The only way to fix this team is cut everyone over 25 years old that is making too much money and get a real game coach.

Veteran

Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    Since the season is now all but over I might as well throw my two cents in. All of this should be taken with a grain of salt because I rarely see the games and when I do the Knicks always throw up a stinker like the other night. I think Isiah is way over his head for this job. He has an eye for talent and would make a good scout, but as a gm/coach he is terrible. You would think a guy with championship rings would understand the basic make-up of a team but Isiah doesn't. Its like that team at the gym that has alot of talent and talks junk but gets routinely spanked because they don't know how to win. This team has no leadership. In the past we always had a Patrick Ewing or Allen Houston, or LJ or Spree to rescue us when the chips were down. No longer because nobody takes responsibilty on this team would instead blame the other team for running up the score. Thats ridiculous. How about showing up in the first place??? As much as "Starbury" played better than I thought he ever could, he still didn't even get the team to the playoffs so the loser tag still applies. I don't wanna hear about injuries because every team is subject to those. Miami held there own after losing flash, but Isiah cannot inspire like effort out of his teams. All those guys are just drawing a paycheck. The only way to fix this team is cut everyone over 25 years old that is making too much money and get a real game coach.

good post.....