Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A realistic discussion on the Knicks.

Veteran

GetRealistic ... good post... agree with it all xcept 'starbury', and even here i agree with most of your comments.. but... he has 2 years left for 42m.. and while i too feel he has elevated his game (espec. his " D ") in the 2nd half of the season, i do not see a contender out there who will take his bloated contract, and a non-contender will want nothing to do with his 42m.

i think he stays...

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Good replies guys, keep it going

This team lost 4 of it's top 5 scorers and 2 best rebounder's, and still plays hard every night. They have lost a lot of games but many of them were close. The loss of Crawford hurt them in the 4th quarter because he was there go to guy. The good thing about this season if anything is that we got to see what this team and some players like Collins and Balkman are capable of. We play very well against the top teams like Dallas and Detroit but don't show up against teams like Boston or Charlotte.

Next years team:
    Eddy Curry C(Defense must improve)
    David Lee F(Defense must improve, and he needs to work on that jumper)
    Renaldo Balkman F
    Malik Rose F (He does the little things that can help you win games, and can score and pass to Curry)
    Quentin Richardson GF(Just stay healthy)
    Jared Jeffries GF(Free throws must improve, and should try to drive to the basket more)
    Jamal Crawford SG(Defense must improve, could pass very well )
    Stephon Marbury PG(Just stay healthy with Collins and Nate he does not has to play so many minutes every night)
    Nate Robinson G (Defense must improve along with turnovers)
    Mardy Collins PG (Did not realize how good of a player he was till the last couple of games, would like to see him and Crawford on the court together in the 4th quarter)

We should trade:
    Steve Francis PG(Not needed)
    Channing Frye FC(He's to soft to play for a NY team )
    Jerome James FC( what a waste, hopefully he comes in shape next season)
    Randolph Morris FC (Have not seen him play)

I don't know if these guys are enough to get a guy like Jermaine O'Neal, but he would be a great addition to this team. To get a guy like him we would probably have to give up a guy like Lee or Balkman but that is not something I think Isaih would or should be giving up.

Nyk Logo breakdown of our team

im gonna be honest... comin into this season i thought we were a lock for the playoffs. i know its wrong to make excuses for the team but i think the only reason were not make the post season is injuries. everytime we had something going good it would just crumble for us. crawford showing us he is mr clutch and his chemistry with curry, david lee playing simply amazing, q-rich finding his outside shot after struggling last year, marbury playing prolly his best overall season of his career, francis showing in CERTAIN GAMES why he was once an nba superstar. even balkman sidelined tonite. n now all these players with the exception of curry are sittin on the sideline during the biggest games of the year.

dont get me wrong, even when we were healthy against teams we shoulda beat by 20+pts n came out with no desire to win. thats another big reason on why our playoff chances arent lookin too great.

ive seen isiah make his share of mistakes on the sidelines but all and all the way him and the players respect each other is definatly what we need. his job as a gm is a different story. i know hes made his share of bad contract signings with free agents, but i think most of the trades and his great history of draft picks definatly overshadows it. im not sayin the guys a miracle worker im sayin he's not half as bad as the media and a lot of u make him out to be.

as far as the players, ill go some what in order on who i think has played the best basketball this season...

marbury- (not including the 1st 25 games or so) he has proved to a lot of haters why he makes the money he makes. he proved he can play solid defense against some of the best offensive players in the league. he definatly has improved his 3 point shot. i think he's matured on and off the court. he's taken over the roll of a floor general to the best of his ability. his only problem is sometimes he waits to long in the game before trying to get involved offensivly.

lee- he had some season. candidate for most improved and 6th man awards in my book. ive never seen a player hustle more than he did this year. he is a monster on the glass. hes a great passer. he seems to only take high percentage shots. very good desicion maker. his one weakness is that mid-range jumper. but he has all offseason to work on that. with his desire to win i expect to see improvement in his jumper by the begining of next year.

curry- after this season i can kinda see why they call him baby shaq. the guys a beast. he improved a lot of aspects of his game but still has plenty of things he needs to learn. not many people can stop him when he gets the ball down low. hes got soft hands for a big man. hes slightly improved his rebounding skills. he still doesnt dominate the paint the way a guy his size should. he cant pass out the double team for ****. he has to work on his free throws. his defense is weak. and he needs to continue to learn how to stay outta foul trouble.

crawford- 52 pts shows just how good jamal crawford can be.. when he catches fire teams r definatly in for a long nite. hes one of the most clutch players ive saw in a while. how many buzzer beaters he have this year? n that alley-oop pass 2 curry to win the game was one of the plays of the year. he tends to shoot too much but i cant blaim himcuz when hes on hes on. i will blaim him for his awful shot selection. ill blaim him 4 his awful defense. those r 2 parts aaron gotta get down. i wouldnt trade him because who else is gonna hit the game winning 3 pointer when currys fouled out. i like the way thoze 2 play 2gether.. i dont know why u would wanna seperate them.

balkman- he definatly shut up the fans that were booin @ the draft. he brings more energy onto the court then anyone. he plays his ass off on defense. hes all over the court fightin 4 every loose ball. hes a new yorker. kid can dunk.. he doesnt have a jumpshot. still makes rookie mistakes but overall i would not trade him. im glad isiah didnt chance it and take marcus williams instead

richardson- he picked his game up big time this season. hes got one of the best 3's in the game. he plays solid defense. and he even knows how 2 post up. he gets a lotta technical fouls. his back wont be 100% any time soon. id try to ship him out during the offseason. if a team needs a 3point shooter who knows who we could get in return.

robinson- clyde said it b4... nate is great. he just makes some of the worst decisions on the team. he plays like hes playin streetball. but the kids so strong n talented id hate 2 see him go. im not sayin hes untouchable. its just hes a really fun player to watch. i love the energy he brings off the bench. hes got a 3 point shot he just needs to learn to realize when hes off. needs to play some dam defense. n he needs to cut back on the turnovers.

frye- the 1st guy we picked a few years ago n yet hes playin worse than any other sophmore on our squad. his jumpshot is water. but his defense is terrible @ best. he needs 2 learn how to b more aggressive and block some shots. at his size he should be rebounding the ball a lot more. hes heavy on his feet. but hes a great pick n roll player. but all n all sorry 2 say it but i think we should trade him

collins- i didnt think much of him the begining of the season but now that hes been gettin some minutes mardys definatly earned my respect. hes great at settin up the offense. hes a great passer n ballhandler. he can rebound pretty good for a guard. and one of his best abilities is clearly his defense. he needs to cut back on the turnovers if he wants to earn some serious minutes when our starters get back. he needs to improve his free throw shootin as well as a jumpshot. but i think we need a player like him for the future, dont trade him

francis- i dont think he'll ever be as good as he was. he shows spurts of what hes capable of. most out of control player on the team. sub-par outside shot. still good @ gettin into the paint. great free throw shooter. ridiculous amount of turnovers. if possible trade him.

jeffries- not a great 1st season in ny thats 4 sure. his defense was above average. i like how he'll throw down for his team-mates. hes good at put backs off of rebounds. hes a bad shooter any where else on the court including the free throw line. dont know why he was startin over lee. wouldnt mind givin him the begining of next season to prove himself. dont know what we could get 4 him so dont know if we should keep him.

rose- b4 the season i thought he sucked n deserved zero minutes. he proved himself throughout the season. hes got a better jumpshot then i remember. hes good on the boards. past his prime. he brings experiance to the bench. dont know why isiah has him playing as our backup center. turnover prone. but i like how he gives every ounce of effort while hes on the court.

james- prolly the worst move isiashs made since being gm. he was fooled from that playoff series b4 we signed him. jeromes got ballz of steal puttin up as many shots as he does when hes playin. hes a decent low post player, hes decent on the boards, n decent blockin shots. but the thing is ive seen 70 year old men in better shape then him. i dunno whos gonna take him with that contract but id try somethin

cato- didnt see much of him this year. i dunno why. sad to say but hes prolly our best shot blocker. i dunno who would lose in a race, him or jerome james. i woulda gave him a lil more minutes during some games to try n prove himself because i forgot the last time i saw him on the court

morris- only saw him in 2 games and surprised the hell outta me when he just showed up in a knick uniform. i look 4ward to the summer league to see what hes capable of.

well the knicks just lost to detroit and our season is everything but over. im a lil let down after watchin as many games as i did but i cant say they disappointed. i dont remember ever seein as many buzzer beaterz and come back victories in one season. they played some great games, they played some poor games. i feel like if we can stay healthy next season and give 100% all 82 games durin the regular season then theres no reason we shouldnt make some noise in the east. either way ill still behind my team ballin out in the orange n blue

Nyk Logo Fine tune

I think that the main things our team needs to work on is free throws and assists, i believe we have a good squad, and criticizing everyone weakneses dosent help the team, each ones individual strengths make the team. crawfords d is improving, and if we have a player at the 3 spot who is lengthy they can cover crawfords slip ups on their defensive sets, different story tho, as i was saying, we lost 17 games this season by 10 or less points this season, each of those games, we missed 10 or more freethrows collectively. The knicks are 4 spots above last in free throw percentage. this leads me to believe that if 5 players hit 2 more free throws, 17 more games would have gone into overtime, or the outcome might not have turned out in an L. Another point is assists, marbury is NOT a point guard....dispite his size, even tho steph isnt small, we need a pass first pg, forget ray allen, we need a luke ridnour on our team, some kind of pass first pg, who can hit the 3, who's free throw percentage is a knack away from 90%, late in the game, when curry is our option, who is our safe men to knock down big free throws? every player who shoots a free throw has my heart in my throat, we need a crowd cooler at the end of the games. we also win 20% of our games when our opponent scores 100+ but we win 60% when we score 100 pluss, we need sharper passes, a pg (nate, francis an marbs are 2 guards) better free throw shooting, heart....a lot of times, heart is the difference between a w and an l.

If we had hit our FREE THROWS, we might have won at least 50% of the 17 games we lost off of bad shooting at the charity stripe, thats another 8 w's under the knick belt. I say keep the squad we have, nothing i mentioned just now exceeds the capacity of any of our players. KNICK IN 07-08

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by Toons
    I think that the main things our team needs to work on is free throws and assists, i believe we have a good squad, and criticizing everyone weakneses dosent help the team, each ones individual strengths make the team. crawfords d is improving, and if we have a player at the 3 spot who is lengthy they can cover crawfords slip ups on their defensive sets, different story tho, as i was saying, we lost 17 games this season by 10 or less points this season, each of those games, we missed 10 or more freethrows collectively. The knicks are 4 spots above last in free throw percentage. this leads me to believe that if 5 players hit 2 more free throws, 17 more games would have gone into overtime, or the outcome might not have turned out in an L. Another point is assists, marbury is NOT a point guard....dispite his size, even tho steph isnt small, we need a pass first pg, forget ray allen, we need a luke ridnour on our team, some kind of pass first pg, who can hit the 3, who's free throw percentage is a knack away from 90%, late in the game, when curry is our option, who is our safe men to knock down big free throws? every player who shoots a free throw has my heart in my throat, we need a crowd cooler at the end of the games. we also win 20% of our games when our opponent scores 100+ but we win 60% when we score 100 pluss, we need sharper passes, a pg (nate, francis an marbs are 2 guards) better free throw shooting, heart....a lot of times, heart is the difference between a w and an l.

If we had hit our FREE THROWS, we might have won at least 50% of the 17 games we lost off of bad shooting at the charity stripe, thats another 8 w's under the knick belt. I say keep the squad we have, nothing i mentioned just now exceeds the capacity of any of our players. KNICK IN 07-08
    Marbury can hit 3's too...plus Ridnour is like a 34% career 3pt shooting, he isn't as good as you think.

We don't need a pure PG, we need a center who knows how to pass out of double teams. Hopefully Curry can develop into that.

Marbury is fine.

Agreed...Marbury is far from our problem. In my opinion he's our best offensive option on the team. Curry will get better with time and only way he'll get better is to continue to feed him the ball. That 15 foot jumper is coming next year...or at least that's what Isiah has guaranteed...

curry, lee, balkman, and collins all need to work on their jumpshot

curry, francis (if hes still a knick), mardy, nate, marbury, and crawford need to cut back on turnovers big time

and isiah has to stop wasting all our dam time-outs to yell @ nate. i hate seeing us run out of 'em when we need them in the final 2 minutes during a close game

Originally Posted by The 1 and Only
    Agreed...Marbury is far from our problem. In my opinion he's our best offensive option on the team. Curry will get better with time and only way he'll get better is to continue to feed him the ball. That 15 foot jumper is coming next year...or at least that's what Isiah has guaranteed...
    I'm a lot more concerned about Curry learning to position himself better defensively, than any jump shot he may develop. Better positioning will obviously help his general defense, but it will also help he defensive rebounding, I really think he can average ten boards a game if he can just improve his positioning.

Hiring Ewing as an assistant coach, would go a long way to address this weakness in Currys' game.

The mentality of rebounding needs to be aquired before positioning is concerned. He can be in position but if he doesn't feel like rebounding then someone can get better position and get it. Rebounding is a man's job...it's not like scoring or dishing. Rebounding requires mental toughness...such as the likes of Balkman and Lee. But yes Curry needs to work on his positioning...but after he gets his mind right...

Veteran

Unhappy

Since the season is now all but over I might as well throw my two cents in. All of this should be taken with a grain of salt because I rarely see the games and when I do the Knicks always throw up a stinker like the other night. I think Isiah is way over his head for this job. He has an eye for talent and would make a good scout, but as a gm/coach he is terrible. You would think a guy with championship rings would understand the basic make-up of a team but Isiah doesn't. Its like that team at the gym that has alot of talent and talks junk but gets routinely spanked because they don't know how to win. This team has no leadership. In the past we always had a Patrick Ewing or Allen Houston, or LJ or Spree to rescue us when the chips were down. No longer because nobody takes responsibilty on this team would instead blame the other team for running up the score. Thats ridiculous. How about showing up in the first place??? As much as "Starbury" played better than I thought he ever could, he still didn't even get the team to the playoffs so the loser tag still applies. I don't wanna hear about injuries because every team is subject to those. Miami held there own after losing flash, but Isiah cannot inspire like effort out of his teams. All those guys are just drawing a paycheck. The only way to fix this team is cut everyone over 25 years old that is making too much money and get a real game coach.

Veteran

Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    Since the season is now all but over I might as well throw my two cents in. All of this should be taken with a grain of salt because I rarely see the games and when I do the Knicks always throw up a stinker like the other night. I think Isiah is way over his head for this job. He has an eye for talent and would make a good scout, but as a gm/coach he is terrible. You would think a guy with championship rings would understand the basic make-up of a team but Isiah doesn't. Its like that team at the gym that has alot of talent and talks junk but gets routinely spanked because they don't know how to win. This team has no leadership. In the past we always had a Patrick Ewing or Allen Houston, or LJ or Spree to rescue us when the chips were down. No longer because nobody takes responsibilty on this team would instead blame the other team for running up the score. Thats ridiculous. How about showing up in the first place??? As much as "Starbury" played better than I thought he ever could, he still didn't even get the team to the playoffs so the loser tag still applies. I don't wanna hear about injuries because every team is subject to those. Miami held there own after losing flash, but Isiah cannot inspire like effort out of his teams. All those guys are just drawing a paycheck. The only way to fix this team is cut everyone over 25 years old that is making too much money and get a real game coach.

good post.....

Cool

Have Curry lose 15 pounds. Have Frye gain 15 pounds. Both of those guys have to hit the gym. The reason why Curry struggles on defense and does not rebound is because he is fat. Y'all play pickup basketball, fat guys don't jump unless it's a sure layup or dunk. Curry skies for a rebound maybe twice a game. It's not because he is just lazy, it's because he's chugging so much weight in his ass he does not have the energy. Same thing happened to Shaq later in his career when he got up to 330. Yeah, Shaq blocks shots and rebounds, but not as well as he did when he was 265, when he was more mobile. Conversely, Channing Frye should gain about 15 pounds. He can't stay on the floor because he gets pushed around by more physical PF's. he does not have the athleticism to make up for his lack of bulk, so he gets into early foul trouble or he gets yanked because he gets abused so early.
    If we can get these guys into better playing shape, we could possibly have one of the better 4-5 tandems in the conference, and we would not have to make a major trade. Frye has mad game on the perimeter, his second big problem is that he does not know how to get inside points while Eddy is in the paint, he used to get to the free throw line last year cause Curry kept getting into early foul trouble. Also, one thing Curry needs to do is learn the forgotten art of the head fake. He gets his shot blocked from behind by smaller guards more than any other good big man I've seen in years because he gets the ball and just goes straight up. The Up fake and Up and Under moves could get Curry an additional 4pts per game.
    I think we have a good young nucleus. We just have to develop guys, define roles, and get a better medical staff to become a playoff team. I love Renaldo Balkman, after watching him in the summer league I thought he'd be good. If he could develop a jumpshot like Udonis Haslem he should start, even over Lee, because he is a much better defender and shotblocker. Collins should be the first guard off the bench, making Nate (eventhough I love him too)possible trade bait. Crawford's big shot ability is the reason why he should stay on the team unless a really good young inexpensive pure shooter or two way guard were available. Francis is gonna get bought out. If Frye doesn't bulk up and Balkman still can't develop more offense Lee should start and Richardson(if he comes back 100%) should be SF because Curry needs his shooting and defense.
    I think Jeffries will have a much better season next year, he's a really good defender and will probably play his way into becoming trade bait at next year's deadline. Balkman makes him expendable. We'll probably draft a shooter or shotblocking backup center.

I dont think curryneeds to lose weight. He looks alot better than he did early in the season. He just needs to work on his footwork mainly on the defensive end. He looks slow at times on d but its really cuz he dont know how to play d.I think they've been workin hard on his offense but its time for mark aguire to teach curry to get position and play squared up between his man and the basket. And someone needs to tell nate to stop double teamin every single day this offseason.

I'm not gonna reiterate anything about the players because I mostly agree with Metro and GetReal... I also think Frye could develop into an Okur type big who knocks down open shots provided he can keep his confidence up...

outside of the usual roster requests (shooter, defensive 3)... I think we need subtle changes in the coaching/management group...

I would move Isiah back to President of bball ops... Bring in Jerry West as a team consultant or GM... This way... we get Mr. Basketball helping to inform Isiah about his trades/free agent signings and both are great talent scouts (West oversaw the 00 - 02 Laker dynasty)...

I would also move Herb to Head Coach again and let him build with this group... he is the only member of the coaching staff who has been with the Knicks through all this madness... and he managed 39 wins with less talent than Isiah and LB had...

this stops the endless coaching carousel and provides some consistency for the players and Isiah's front office moves would be as well thought out and tempered as his post game conferences...

These moves won't make any real headlines (maybe West would), but it is very similar to the route Toronto and Jersey (both Atlantic division rivals) took back to respectability...