All We Need To Make It To The Finals In 2008

AG1

Rookie
All we need is a trade and a new coach

1. Move Isiah to GM
2. Get Stan Van Gundy as the Knicks Head Coach (this guy can unite a sloppy team with great talent a.k.a. the NYK)
3. Trade either Francis and Frye or Francis and Marbury for someone like Paul Pierce. If we can get Paul Pierce (obviously i dont think boston would for only two player but who knows what we can do) its a wrap.
4. Create Nate into a Pure PG like Steve Nash.

If you have all this you will have:

PG Nate Robinson, SG Jamal Crawford, SF Paul Pierce, PF David Lee, C Eddy Curry. Stan Van Gundy as Head Coach which will fit the knicks type of play. This is a perfect team. We need to make some moves. Marbury if we can keep somehow and get Pierce would be better but lets be serious Marbury for Pierce is a no brainer.

Thats what we need because Stan Van Gundy will teach the Knicks to play as a unified team who can pass without many turnovers and stay outta foul trouble. Curry needs to be more dominate because he can if he trys hard and lifts weights be the next ALL STAR SHAQ. The knicks need a real Vet Leader. And Marbury is definitly not that. A guy who cant take orders from the head coach got to go. And Paul Pierce is a vet. He is a great player overall never mind SF. He is a team player. And he brings what the Knicks need. Do this and you got a NBA FINALS CHAMPIONSHIP on the way.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Isiah is GM... And why Paul Pierce man? Overpaid getting old and likes it in Boston... But I like the idea of Stan Van Gundy as the coach. I really enjoyed it when Jeff Van Gundy was coach. He cared for the team a lot argued with the refs a lot and when there were fights he broke them up, Like when Marcus Camby wanted to punch a Spur player and Jeff came in and got hit by Camby and against the Miami Heat when Alonzo Morning was fighting LJ, LJ was carrying him by the foot, . Maybe his brother is like that too.

metrocard

Legend
Isiah is GM... And why Paul Pierce man? Overpaid getting old and likes it in Boston... But I like the idea of Stan Van Gundy as the coach. I really enjoyed it when Jeff Van Gundy was coach. He cared for the team a lot argued with the refs a lot and when there were fights he broke them up, Like when Marcus Camby wanted to punch a Spur player and Jeff came in and got hit by Camby and against the Miami Heat when Alonzo Morning was fighting LJ, LJ was carrying him by the foot, . Maybe his brother is like that too.

Pierce is a top 12-15 player in the NBA, are you serious? BTW, this plan is rediculous, no offense. Nate be turned into Steve Nash? Might as well say Eddy Curry being a defensive stopper

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
I highly doubt that Boston will give away Paul Pierce even if they get Durant or Oden. But he'd definitely be great in a Knick uniform. However, not gonna happen, especially with our team. One thing I agree with is that we should definitely try to move Francis and Frye. Francis will never get back to being anywhere close to All Star form, and this season has just proven how pathetic Frye is. He could work his game this offseason but regardless he is still a very tradeable player that could be wanted by some teams. Nate is never gonna be half the player Steve Nash is. I think we should see how the team fairs during the first half of next season with a full roster first before ruling out that IT is not a good fit as a coach. Oh and nyKnicks126 it was Danny Ferry that Camby wanted to punch... just FYI. And I think it was actually Zo's leg that Jeff Van Gundy was clinging to (not really sure with this one). In my opinion, the Knicks are already a Playoff team for next season. Probably even Atlantic Division champs. But to really get to the FINALS, they need to acquire another All Star, especially someone who could ignite some defense.

GetRealistic

Starter
What will get the Knicks into the NBA Finals next year? A f'n miracle.

Were not going to make it to the Finals next year. Lets aim for something like 2010. No team goes from not making the playoffs to winning a title. In order to make a big time jump you have to atleast have some sort of playoff experience. Think back to the early 90s, we got swept and beat up by the Bulls but that experience made us a better team and then we began to advance farther and farther.

And Paul Pierce is great, but he isn't a guy that single handedly gets you to the next level. What has boston done with him?

Turn nate into Steve Nash. Come on dude seriously if you think thats possible youve lost your mind.

eastlinykfan

Benchwarmer
What will get the Knicks into the NBA Finals next year? A f'n miracle.

Were not going to make it to the Finals next year. Lets aim for something like 2010. No team goes from not making the playoffs to winning a title. In order to make a big time jump you have to atleast have some sort of playoff experience. Think back to the early 90s, we got swept and beat up by the Bulls but that experience made us a better team and then we began to advance farther and farther.

And Paul Pierce is great, but he isn't a guy that single handedly gets you to the next level. What has boston done with him?

Turn nate into Steve Nash. Come on dude seriously if you think thats possible youve lost your mind.

2010? I think that is a stretch man...I do not think the team we have assembled will ever get past the second round just for the plain fact that we do not have enough three demensional ball players, just take a look:

Almost what we need:

Marbs: his scoring ability has always been above average and he finally is playing D, but he still does not have an exceptional assist to turnover ratio to be a championship caliber type player unfortunately and it only gets worse as the list goes on...

DLee: Love the guy, reminds me of a guy who would have fit in great with our generation's glory team of Oak, Ewing, Starks, etc., but he still is a huge liability on D. He has the toughness to play D, but he gets beat alot by either bigger or quicker guys, BUT this is something that he can fix and I do envision him (if he learns how to hit a 10-15 ft jumper) as an all-star type player that can lead by example a team to championship...We just have to wait and see what he does next season.

QRich: Everything about this guy is good, he can post up, hit threes, play perimeter D, and feed Curry the ball, BUT the guy has a bad back...He is alot like LJ2 believe it or not and coincidentally, LJ had to retire due to a bad back...Hope history does not repeat itself because QRich def is a guy we want around for the long haul.

Craw: He just barely makes my list here...If anyone flourished under Next Town Brown, Crawford did...He definitely was our team MVP last year, but that the equivalent of patting your kid on the back when they get a C- on a major exam. He playing decent D last year and I was excited about his progression, but it def was not evident this season. He has the ability to make others around him better, especially Curry, but his wild shooting has always been suspect and he does generate alot of turnovers...So basically, he is an all or nothing guy, kind of like a poor mans Starks that plays suspect D, but not horrendous D (see Curry).

Rose: Believe it or not, we need more guys like Rose...He is probably the only High IQ BBall guy we got...He is not very athletic and never has been, but he knows how to play the game and that is why he is still in the league...If our guys could understand the game like him and come in cold turkey and contribute like he does everytime his number is called, we would be in the playoffs no doubt in my mind.

The Enigma:

Nate: I think everyone can agree that we all have a love-hate relationship with him...Everytime we make a decision of wanting to send him back to Seattle, he does something spectacular on offense or blocks a guys 1 to 2 ft taller than him..So, we say okay he good enough to stay and then he completely blows an assignment on D or gets blocked by challenging a shot-blocker that has a clear advantage over him...He is clearly an enigma and I honestly do not have a clear stand on him...I dont know if he is going to be playing big minutes for a successful team or be on the Globetrotters...Just do not know.

One Dimensional Guys:

Balk: Love him and until further notice, he is only going to be a garbage guy who brings energy into the game...But, if he learns how to hit jumpshots and FTs, could turn out to be an outstanding player for us either starting or off the bench.

Mardy: Ive been reading alot of blogs bashing him about his TOs...But guys guess what, he is a rookie getting the first major minutes of his career! Give him time...He plays excellent D, the only guy that can get onball steals and he can penetrate to the hope...Like Balk, if he learns how to hit FTs and outside shots, could be a Derek Harper type player.

Curry: I like his offensive game when he tries...When he tries, he makes it look so easy and routine, but he has ZERO drive..He has gotten more emotional during the games, but he still does not play Defense...I do not think I have ever seen someone play as bad of defense as he does...He is absolutely pathetic. I seriously think he is scared of the contact...I dont care if he gets seven boards a game because we do have a team that rebounds well, but his D has to get at least mediocre if we have a chance to be an above average team in this league.

Frye: Very soft, but he is still too big and slow to play SF. I am really pulling for him to be successful on our team because he is a great team player and PR guy. He needs to be more aggressive on the offensive end too so he get to the line more b/c he is one of our only good FT shooters...If he can find a good balance to his inside/outside game and play western conf. PF D (see Dirk), then he is def worth keeping, but now I do not see him helping us to a championship.

Morris: Do not know much about him so can not comment, but I am sure he is a better defender than Curry.

The Weight:

Franchise: I keep envisioning him and Steff in the backcourt causing havoc on both sides on the ball, but he just does not fit b/c he suffers from that ego shit that Steff had the last couple of years...Once Steff knocked that BS off this year, he had one of his most "productive" all around seasons of his career but Franchise is just too stupid to realize he is not "Franchise" anymore but a has been scorer now with a bum knee...He in no feasible way will help us to the next level.

JJ20: The better of the two JJ (if thats even possible). He breaks up passes....(Pause). Well, that is all I have seen him do...Maybe he is a good defender I guess, but has not shown me and I am sure most of you that he is anything special...But his offensive game is horrendous. He is the opposite of Curry on O, pathetic...I wish I could count how many layups he has blown this year! It is very sad and until he is a Bruce Bowen type, he will help us none on the court.

JJ13: We all knew he was going to be a bum after the Curry trade..Though he seems like a great team guy and I would probably enjoy having a beer with him, he seems completely lost when he gets his five mins a game...We should keep him though for hacking purposes; could come in handy if we want to hurt someone in the playoffs.

Cato: Should have gotten more playing time, but he'll be gone next year.

Wow, I just realized how long this post was, sorry about that...But, with our abundance of one-dimensional players, we can not peak past the second round...So, I really think with this particular group, it is up to four guys, Lee, Curry, Balk, and Mardy to step up their weaknesses...If these four can develop a 3 dimensional game, then we will be in very good shape b/c we will be extremely deep in all areas, but not if there is no progression in their flaws
then we are just going to keep being a shitty team.

nyKnicks126

Pierce is a top 12-15 player in the NBA, are you serious? BTW, this plan is rediculous, no offense. Nate be turned into Steve Nash? Might as well say Eddy Curry being a defensive stopper

Wow, Pierce has made the Boston Celtics a Super Team hasn't he, being injuried all the time, and being overpaid! Are you serious? He would kill the Knicks even more. High CAP, injuries, and inconsistant type of play is just what we need. Paul Pierce will never get a championship and being on such a horrible team for so long it wouldn't surprise me if I was a top player in the NBA being on a team like that.

Oh and when Walker played for the Celtics he took all the fam. not Paul Pierce no no he was in the background. Im sorry but I just don't like Paul Pierce and his inconsistant play.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Paul pierce aint comin to the knicks and nate robinson is a completely different player then steve nash. He cna become a better defender, scorer, and rebounder then nash but he will never be the playmaker that nash is just like almost every other young guard in the league. The focus of the knicks should be gettin to the second round next year, one step at a time. You cant go from missin the playoffs to the finals, it dont work like that.

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
Hmm I don't think Pierce is overpaid. And he's a solid all-star player. Yes I agree that not only wouldn't Boston trade him to us, he'd definitely not be that piece that would propel us deep into the playoffs next year. But the guy's worth his salary. If he didn't go down for 20+ games, the Celtics would likely be 7th-9th right now in the East. Before Pierce went down, Boston, Toronto, and New Jersey all had almost similar records in the Atlantic. It's obvious I think highly of Pierce. But most of you guys would feel the same if you watch a substantial number of Celtics games. They're actually my 2nd favorite team in the East. But before you guys start hating, may I say that I am true Knick fan since 94, and tens of notches higher than being a Celtic fan. Peace guys.
Anyway with our current roster we actually have a chance to get to the 2nd round next year if healthy. There are no San Antonios, Dallases, and Phoenixes in the East. Even just one defensive All Star acquisition in my opinion could be enough to take us to the Finals next year (but not necessarily the Championship).

metrocard

Legend
Wow, Pierce has made the Boston Celtics a Super Team hasn't he, being injuried all the time, and being overpaid! Are you serious? He would kill the Knicks even more. High CAP, injuries, and inconsistant type of play is just what we need. Paul Pierce will never get a championship and being on such a horrible team for so long it wouldn't surprise me if I was a top player in the NBA being on a team like that.

Oh and when Walker played for the Celtics he took all the fam. not Paul Pierce no no he was in the background. Im sorry but I just don't like Paul Pierce and his inconsistant play.

Super team? I don't I understand where you're going with that. Celtics are a poor basketball team, period. It doesn't change the fact Pierce is an established top 10-20 NBA talent.

Didn't Pierce carry the Celtics deep into the playoffs plently of times not too long ago? He has made many 2nd round apperances.

We already have a high cap, inconsistant play, and injuries happend to everyone. Adding Pierce to the Knicks would upgrade everything. Pierce is a better scorer than anyone on this roster, in fact he's a more efficient scorer than anyone on this roster.

Did Pierce slap your ice cream out of your hand when you were a child? Whats wrong with you. I'm not even a fan of Pierce, but why do you put your personal bias into this conversation? No one really cares how you feel for Pierce.

LOL, so you're saying Walker was the best player on the Celtics? LOL...and Paul Pierce is inconsistant now? Oh boy. Pierce led the Celtics to the Eastern Conference...which isn't bad, I believe that he has earn his right as a top 10-15 player in the NBA, one of the most elite wing players you can find in the NBA.

2-time All-NBA Third Team: 2002, 2003
5-time NBA All-Star: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
NBA regular-season leader, total points: 2002 (2144)
NBA regular-season leader, free throws made: 2003 (604)

Most free throws made without a miss, playoffs: 21 (Game 1, 2003 Eastern Conference First Round).

Scored 30 or more points in a franchise record 7 consecutive games (February 24–March 8, 2006).

Pierce is 2nd to Larry Bird in PPG (23.5 PPG) in Celtics HISTORY...you already know their history. (Glad they suck balls now, gonna suck seeing them getting Durant or Oden.)

btw little man, Pierce is averaging 25 ppg, shooting 39% from the 3pt, 6 rebs, 4 assist. His career average is very similar to those numbers. BTW, injuries? Pierce has been injury free 6-7 years before this year. His numbers has still consistant too.

SMH...I have to defend Pierce to keep the credibility of this board?

nyKnicks126

I meant it in a sarcastic manner... you are with out a doubt the stupidest fan out here. You are a disgrace to the Knicks and there fans.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Pierce wasnt given the nickname the truth for no reason at all. Hes one of the smartest players in the game. Guys like dwayne wade, kobe, King James, tmac, and vince carter all dominate partially because of their athletic ablility. Pierce doesnt jump as high as any of those guys but he still gets around 26 a game and he also rebounds the ball and passes well. Hes a better more complete version of q-rich, both guys bein the same size. Hes always been the leader of the celtics. As for pierce not gettin a championship, he is surronunded by young talent and who knows what can happen. Tony allen was dominating before he got hurt. They also got gerald green, al jefferson, rondo, delonte west. perkins, and probably the #2 pick in the draft. Its very difficult to predict who wiill be the best team in the east in 2 or 3 years because their are several young but talneted teams like the knicks, bobcats, hawks, 76ers, and the raptors. Then you got teams that are in the playoffs this year like cleveland, miami, chicago and washington. The only team i see falling is detroit becuase of webber, billups, hamilton, and rasheed all gettin older but my point is the eastwill catch up to the west and its hard to tell who will be makin it to the finals the next couple of seasons but the celtics got a good lookin team and i would not doubt them and their leader paul pierce.

metrocard

Legend
I meant it in a sarcastic manner... you are with out a doubt the stupidest fan out here. You are a disgrace to the Knicks and there fans.

Work on your sarcasm, its probably the worst I've seen. Next time you reply to my post, bring a box of tissue, it seems like you're crying in all your replies.

GetRealistic

Starter
Work on your sarcasm, its probably the worst I've seen. Next time you reply to my post, bring a box of tissue, it seems like you're crying in all your replies.

Come on Metro your talking about the same guy who thought. Carter, Marcus Williams and Kristic, for Q Crawford and Jerome James is a trade that would benefit both teams. Its best to just ignore his posts.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Pierce wasnt given the nickname the truth for no reason at all. Hes one of the smartest players in the game. Guys like dwayne wade, kobe, King James, tmac, and vince carter all dominate partially because of their athletic ablility. Pierce doesnt jump as high as any of those guys but he still gets around 26 a game and he also rebounds the ball and passes well. Hes a better more complete version of q-rich, both guys bein the same size. Hes always been the leader of the celtics.

I agree... I don't get the negativity toward Pierce since almost everyone says that q-rich is a bright spot for the knicks... sometime I think people post negative comments just to disagree and shoot down good ideas... FYI... if the Celts get Durant... Pierce's days are numbered in bean town...

If we can get him without sacrificing Lee, Curry, Steph or Balkman... we'll be straight...