Knicks ready to buy out francis

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
if francis stays, he'll only be stealing minutes from collins and nate robinson. Bottom line is he needs to go and I wish him good luck wherever he ends up

Buyouts are the biggest waste of money, espicially on a max contract! It's not like we're going to be under the cap all that soon, so we should just hold on to the contract, since it does become very valuable at the end of next season, who knows maybe we can get someone to bite at it at the trading deadlilne durning next season, but a buy out just doesn't do anything for a team that will be over that the cap by about 35 million. Just my opinion

Trin_Starr

Starter
but the thing is that when you buy out a contract it saves on the luxury tax, so keeping francis for a year would be equivalent to $15mil in pay and $15mil in luxury tax = $30mil, whereas if he bought out Dolan only pays the salary alone.

What I propose is that they don't buy him out but send him home - away from the team.....this way when he realizes that he wants to play on another team, he'll be willing to accept a much lower buyout price from the knicks and then he is free to sign on with some other team.

paris401

Starter
What I propose is that they don't buy him out but send him home - away from the team.....this way when he realizes that he wants to play on another team, he'll be willing to accept a much lower buyout price from the knicks and then he is free to sign on with some other team.

a buyout means nothing to the knicks... except for dolan's pocketbook..

for cap purposes, he is getting 32/33m over the next two years, and this does not change even if they buy him out for $1

i do not think u are going to force stevie's hand by sending him home... he will sit back and keep on collecting his $$$

Again that contract does become an asset at the end of next season, and if we utilize it correctly we can come out looking good on the Penny/Ariza deal....but if all we do is buyout to save on the luxary tax, like Paris said James Dolan is the only one who will reap the rewards. Not saying it is all that likely...but if Garnett is available next summer we will have the expiring contract to offer, if nothing else.... Again not saying that is all that likely but for a chance at Garnett I would eat the contract atleast for another year and half, if there are no takers by the 08/09 trade deadline then Buyout to save a few bucks

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Trade him to the Bobcats. For who I don't know but the Bobcats have to add on salary or they get charged. They will be at $27,677,786 next year. The salary cap is $56 million. The minimum team salary is defined as 75% of the salary cap. Any team that doesn't spend at least that much is surcharged at the end of the season, and that money is given to the players.
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#10

They could add on Francis just so they don't get hit.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
just wish steve francis was healthy to see if him and marbury could work cuz i remember this one game against atlanta that both of em put on a show, it was qrazy

Trade him to the Bobcats. For who I don't know but the Bobcats have to add on salary or they get charged. They will be at $27,677,786 next year. The salary cap is $56 million. The minimum team salary is defined as 75% of the salary cap. Any team that doesn't spend at least that much is surcharged at the end of the season, and that money is given to the players.
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#10

They could add on Francis just so they don't get hit.

you learn something new everyday! Isiah would be GM of the year if he pulled that one off

eastlinykfan

Benchwarmer
just wish steve francis was healthy to see if him and marbury could work cuz i remember this one game against atlanta that both of em put on a show, it was qrazy

I hear what you are saying bro, but in all seriousness, they were playing the Atlanta Hawks...Chris "Dud"ley (what a name BTW) could throw up 20 and 15 on them if he really wanted to.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I hear what you are saying bro, but in all seriousness, they were playing the Atlanta Hawks...Chris "Dud"ley (what a name BTW) could throw up 20 and 15 on them if he really wanted to.

There are three reasons why the Marbury/Francis back court didn't work.

1. Francis doesn't play D.
2. Curry is a scoring big man that needs the ball. He doesn't rebound and doesn't play very much D.
3. Francis was 'injured' most of the season. (It looks like he's a big faker but 'injured' non the less)

Not taking anything away from Curry but if we had a Ben Wallace type of Center that doesn't need or want the ball, two scoring guards can work. But that's not the hand we've been dealt. We've got one of the best low post centers in the league and I'm happy with his progress. Bottom line a line up with Curry and Francis doesn't appear to work.

metrocard

Legend
a buyout means nothing to the knicks... except for dolan's pocketbook..

for cap purposes, he is getting 32/33m over the next two years, and this does not change even if they buy him out for $1

i do not think u are going to force stevie's hand by sending him home... he will sit back and keep on collecting his $$$

Yep.

At this point, we're fucked under the cap. But getting rid of Francis is a huge step foward to excellence. The Francis trade set us backwards and was unnessary, especially for an expiring contract and a cheap talented defensive player like Ariza.

LOL, you remember when people here supported the Francis deal and thought it could pan out? I'm a fan and all, but have some common sense jeez. Thats like expecting a team of Arenas and Iverson with a buch of scrubs to walk righ through the finals and win it all. Hell, Denver is medicore now with Iverson, they could of been much better with Andre Miller, who's an excellent pass first PG. Anyone noticed how well Philly played when Iverson left town, and Iggy emerged as the franchise player? All they need is a franchise PF, and they'll be set for years in the Alantic.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Yep.

Hell, Denver is medicore now with Iverson, they could of been much better with Andre Miller, who's an excellent pass first PG. Anyone noticed how well Philly played when Iverson left town, and Iggy emerged as the franchise player? All they need is a franchise PF, and they'll be set for years in the Alantic.

it's all about chemistry and maturity... iverson matured by the time he got to denver and was willing to subjugate his scoring to melo... with AI gone... korver... iggy... delambert... willie green... hunter... were able to play more loose without fear of upsetting the superstar... BUT yeah... the francis trade is the one that made me start calling for IT's head... that and the j rose deal...

metrocard

Legend
it's all about chemistry and maturity... iverson matured by the time he got to denver and was willing to subjugate his scoring to melo... with AI gone... korver... iggy... delambert... willie green... hunter... were able to play more loose without fear of upsetting the superstar... BUT yeah... the francis trade is the one that made me start calling for IT's head... that and the j rose deal...

Agreed, which is why we don't need guys like AI and Francis(even though AI is a million times better). Lets give the responsibility to Collins, Lee, Balkman, etc... the future of this FRANCHISE

tiger0330

Legend
Get used to it

Franchise may be staying.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/colum...20,0,5222356.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists

"The Knicks will be at the center of the rumor maelstrom at the predraft camp in Orlando later this month. I continue to hear that they're committed to making a serious run at trading for Kevin Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal or Pau Gasol. But the organization sees it as more due diligence than reality. In the end, they probably won't have enough to land any of the above ... In the likely event that the Knicks won't be able to trade Steve Francis, they are dead set against buying out his contract. Isiah Thomas' philosophy has been consistent on buyouts: If a player can give him anything, he keeps him. And the Knicks believe Francis still has something left."

George M.

Benchwarmer
Get Used To It

Francis will be a Knick until at least 13 months from now when he officially becomes an expiring contract.Until then,if they can use him or trade him they will.If he can't be traded or used he will sit home collecting checks.Bottom line,get used to it!!!!!!!!!

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Agreed, which is why we don't need guys like AI and Francis(even though AI is a million times better). Lets give the responsibility to Collins, Lee, Balkman, etc... the future of this FRANCHISE

my point exactly... 3 years of patience is nothing following 8 years of mediocrity...