Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: The Modern NBA.

  1. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,149
    Rep Power
    13

    Cool

    Originally Posted by donchris
    Bowen is a dirty player that I believe intentionally tries to take guys out of games by injuring them. He did this with Crawford and Francis. The Horry thing was just a hard fowl for no reason. Frankly I thought it was a bitch move. Nash is a small dude. Horry knocked the **** out of Nash. The only reason the NBA is in danger is because of unsportsman like conduct on and off the court. There's a difference between hard fowls and flagrant fowls. When have you ever seen Oakley knock the **** out of a point guard at half court for no reason? It's not like Nash was hacked driving the ball to the basket. Sorry but I'm with Nash on this one. That is a legit complaint.
    If you watched the game the officials were trying so hard to give the Suns the game the Spurs retaliated. That's why Nash got checked. Gamesmanship at its best. Use the NBA's own rules to fry themselves. Great move by Pop. Riles would have been proud!!!!

  2. #17
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    the NBA needs the Knicks, Lakers, Celtics, and even the Hawks back in competition.

    Another than that, I'm happy with the NBA today, it could be better, but it can be WORSE than it is now. Theres so much talent around the league now, and so many international players...the NBA can only get better.

  3. #18
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    david stern is a part of exploiting the fact that the hip hop culture is influencing the nba. If the fight with indiana n **** involed all white players, black dudes would still be blinging on the stands if they were injured. Clean up the NBA? how about clean up other sports where their life, records, games are influenced by steroids. Stern is a racist manipulator.

  4. #19
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by Toons
    david stern is a part of exploiting the fact that the hip hop culture is influencing the nba. If the fight with indiana n **** involed all white players, black dudes would still be blinging on the stands if they were injured. Clean up the NBA? how about clean up other sports where their life, records, games are influenced by steroids. Stern is a racist manipulator.
    Hip Hop is an open creative sub culture, that isn't connected to race. Try again man.

  5. #20
    Veteran Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    1,472
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Toons
    david stern is a part of exploiting the fact that the hip hop culture is influencing the nba. If the fight with indiana n **** involed all white players, black dudes would still be blinging on the stands if they were injured. Clean up the NBA? how about clean up other sports where their life, records, games are influenced by steroids. Stern is a racist manipulator.
    Come on now. I don't like him either, but lets not be so quick to draw up the race card. He can't hate Blacks that much- he wouldn't have a career if it wasn't for black athletes.

    To be honest, i think Stern is one the most influential business men of our era. Doesn't mean I like him. But I do respect the dude.

  6. #21
    Superstar The 1 and Only's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    995
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by Toons
    david stern is a part of exploiting the fact that the hip hop culture is influencing the nba. If the fight with indiana n **** involed all white players, black dudes would still be blinging on the stands if they were injured. Clean up the NBA? how about clean up other sports where their life, records, games are influenced by steroids. Stern is a racist manipulator.
    In my opinion you are right and you are wrong. In my opinion David Stern isn't racist...it's a green thing and he doesn't want to end up like IMUS and lose all of his sponsers. But the hip-hop thing you hit right on the head. I'm sure he doesn't like the fact that the NBA is being heavily influenced my hip-hop. This can be directly linked to 70% of the NBA is Black aka the majority. And since Hip Hop came from African Americans and the Godfather of hip hop Russel Simmons is trying to clean up the game a lil bit, hopefully Stern can ease up on the leash. People forget that the league is mostly made up of African American players...so what do you expect the culture of the league to be?

  7. #22
    Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,696
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    You all have good points. I agree that the rules have hindered the game but you have to dig deeper. Saying the rules are the problem doesn't begin to scratch the surface. We have to understand the reason for the rules. Most of this really came to the forefront with Ron Artest and unsportsmanlike conduct. I agree that the rules are overkill and a bit unnecessary at times, but this is a different day. In the Pat Ewing/ Michael Jordan days it was unthinkable that a player would run up the stands and attack a heckling fan. You never saw Charles Oakley kick a ref in the nuts or Charley Ward get a gun charge. Michael Jordan wasn't indited for sexual molestation. The times are different and like it or not this is what the NBA powers that be have to deal with image wise. It's horrible PR and bad business for the league. Therefore we now have ****ty rules. You can't accurately talk about one with out talking about the other.

  8. #23
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    The generalization of Black Americans in this thread is accually comical and uninformed. Lets hope people are more informed on what Hip Hop culture is. But then again, these are the same people who think Stern is a racist who's trying to put down the hammer on everyone. Do these uninformed group of people forget that the executive of the NBA is black? lol @ their weak attempt to twist this thing into a race thing, it totally back fired on them. Their reponse will most likely be something ignorant such as "You hate blacks, blah blah crap!".

    This could of been a decent thread if the goons didn't bring out the generalization of a diverse group of people that cannot be generalized. No group of people should be generalized for that matter, especially in this country.

  9. #24
    Superstar The 1 and Only's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    995
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by donchris
    You all have good points. I agree that the rules have hindered the game but you have to dig deeper. Saying the rules are the problem doesn't begin to scratch the surface. We have to understand the reason for the rules. Most of this really came to the forefront with Ron Artest and unsportsmanlike conduct. I agree that the rules are overkill and a bit unnecessary at times, but this is a different day. In the Pat Ewing/ Michael Jordan days it was unthinkable that a player would run up the stands and attack a heckling fan. You never saw Charles Oakley kick a ref in the nuts or Charley Ward get a gun charge. Michael Jordan wasn't indited for sexual molestation. The times are different and like it or not this is what the NBA powers that be have to deal with image wise. It's horrible PR and bad business for the league. Therefore we now have ****ty rules. You can't accurately talk about one with out talking about the other.
    Agreed. And you're right...times have changed. Ethics and the right thing is not what matters in most people's minds now. It's the money, the cash, the green. And when money comes for people who can't handle it...problems follow. And people use hip-hop and rap synonomously...they are not the same...rap is derived from hip-hop and rap is the reason hip-hop is on its downfall and I can name various reasons....but that's a different story lol. Also rap is synonomous with blacks, and again...Stern is not racist, for someone to think he was racist would be as stupid as to think IT is the complete reason for the downfall of the knicks. But one has to think...when you ban doo-rags...can't wear the bling...one has to think...what is stern up to? One could say he's trying to make everyone look professional and I would definitely agree with that. I'm never caught outside with a doo-rag...but I do keeps my waves sick if you know what i mean lol. And the bling is crazy...if the players want to wear bling then let them wear bling...in most cases it's fashionably correct in accordance to dress to impress. I've seen racism unlike most people with funny, limp opinions on this site and I can say with experience that Stern is not racist. Some people could say that Stern just doesn't want to give that type of image. But whatever you think of Stern, just don't think he's a racist. In all cases he handles things fair and he doesn't have special treatment for any one player. But that's just my opinion...you never know he could have some slavemaster in him lol. Only God can judge!

  10. #25
    Superstar ShairanXIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    501
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by donchris
    You all have good points. I agree that the rules have hindered the game but you have to dig deeper. Saying the rules are the problem doesn't begin to scratch the surface. We have to understand the reason for the rules. Most of this really came to the forefront with Ron Artest and unsportsmanlike conduct. I agree that the rules are overkill and a bit unnecessary at times, but this is a different day. In the Pat Ewing/ Michael Jordan days it was unthinkable that a player would run up the stands and attack a heckling fan. You never saw Charles Oakley kick a ref in the nuts or Charley Ward get a gun charge. Michael Jordan wasn't indited for sexual molestation. The times are different and like it or not this is what the NBA powers that be have to deal with image wise. It's horrible PR and bad business for the league. Therefore we now have ****ty rules. You can't accurately talk about one with out talking about the other.
    ummm... barkley was spitting on fans and throwing dudes out of bar windows in the 90s... bernard king (the gOD) and michael ray richards did mountains of blow in the 80s... so let's not act like this is the first time athletes have been ill behaved... the problem will always exist whenever you have groups of nouveaux rich people who are unable to deal with the recently acquired wealth... of course there will be knuckle heads in any profession... there are politicians that try to have sex with teenage boys for goodness sake... but that doesn't mean that every politician is evil... neither do the actions of a few morons (stephen jackson, artest, jkidd, penny, etc) should not be used as a basis for judgement against every nba player... BUT... the rule is necessary... those knicks/heat playoffs that we all loved drew abysmal ratings... facts are facts... mainstream america doesn't want to see the slow down game with hard fouls... the spurs/nets and spurs/pistons were some of the lowest rated in the history of the nba... while the heat/mavs were the highest in like 5 years (i might be wrong though)... and look at the ratings those suns, mavs, warriors draw...

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    The generalization of Black Americans in this thread is accually comical and uninformed. Lets hope people are more informed on what Hip Hop culture is. But then again, these are the same people who think Stern is a racist who's trying to put down the hammer on everyone. Do these uninformed group of people forget that the executive of the NBA is black? lol @ their weak attempt to twist this thing into a race thing, it totally back fired on them. Their reponse will most likely be something ignorant such as "You hate blacks, blah blah crap!".
    david stern is about profits... mainstream america provides the greatest profit... remember when hip hop SAVED the nba in the 90s... AI wasn't the first cat with tats (remember the worm)... but he was the first that simultaneously embraced and was embraced by hip hop... then the ratings started dropping again... and he realized the new way to go was the european style... BUT... and it's not just him... it's the media too... it's like analysts salivate to talk about dirk and nash for mvp... forever ignoring kobe WHO WAS NEVER CONVICTED BY THE WAY... so the cleaner (whiter) the league becomes (physically and culturally) the more $$$ stern draws... BUT you have to wonder about some of his rules though... the age limit only applies to AMERICAN 18 year olds... euros can come over from age 18... all the HS players that have come out (that I can think of and that says a lot since I know who Samaki Walker is) have been black... this effectively forces the black athlete to toil away uncompensated for the NCAA since the NBDL is a joke... stern isn't a racist... it's just the rest of us...

  11. #26
    Veteran Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    1,472
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Yikes.. I really didn't mean for this to become a race issue- but despite all our different ethnic backgrounds, we all seem to agree that the NBA is not the same league it was a decade ago.

    For the record I'm Cuban- so I'm not sure if that puts me in the middle.

    Here are three books I read that shed some light on the subject at hand:

    "Sole Power"
    -It's about how sneaker companies totally rape and jade these young kids. It contributes to the culture because it shows us how corporations totally milk these kids, and kills their competetive spirit.

    "Black Planet"
    -It's a book shows us race relations in the NBA. A writer follows the 94' Sonics all season long, and documents the "Master/Slave" stigma of Gary Payton and George Karl

    "Taboo"
    -One the most controversial books I ever read. It investigates why Black athletes seem to be more athletic than whites, scientifically. It was written by a black man, so he was able to get away with it w/o looking like a racist.


    Go to amazon, check them out for yourself.

  12. #27
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by ShairanXIII
    ummm... barkley was spitting on fans and throwing dudes out of bar windows in the 90s... bernard king (the gOD) and michael ray richards did mountains of blow in the 80s... so let's not act like this is the first time athletes have been ill behaved... the problem will always exist whenever you have groups of nouveaux rich people who are unable to deal with the recently acquired wealth... of course there will be knuckle heads in any profession... there are politicians that try to have sex with teenage boys for goodness sake... but that doesn't mean that every politician is evil... neither do the actions of a few morons (stephen jackson, artest, jkidd, penny, etc) should not be used as a basis for judgement against every nba player... BUT... the rule is necessary... those knicks/heat playoffs that we all loved drew abysmal ratings... facts are facts... mainstream america doesn't want to see the slow down game with hard fouls... the spurs/nets and spurs/pistons were some of the lowest rated in the history of the nba... while the heat/mavs were the highest in like 5 years (i might be wrong though)... and look at the ratings those suns, mavs, warriors draw...



    david stern is about profits... mainstream america provides the greatest profit... remember when hip hop SAVED the nba in the 90s... AI wasn't the first cat with tats (remember the worm)... but he was the first that simultaneously embraced and was embraced by hip hop... then the ratings started dropping again... and he realized the new way to go was the european style... BUT... and it's not just him... it's the media too... it's like analysts salivate to talk about dirk and nash for mvp... forever ignoring kobe WHO WAS NEVER CONVICTED BY THE WAY... so the cleaner (whiter) the league becomes (physically and culturally) the more $$$ stern draws... BUT you have to wonder about some of his rules though... the age limit only applies to AMERICAN 18 year olds... euros can come over from age 18... all the HS players that have come out (that I can think of and that says a lot since I know who Samaki Walker is) have been black... this effectively forces the black athlete to toil away uncompensated for the NCAA since the NBDL is a joke... stern isn't a racist... it's just the rest of us...
    Hip Hop didn't save the NBA in the 90's, you can say Micheal Jordan did. He popularized the sport globally itself. There are many other sports played by people who live in a Hip Hop enviroment, such as stickball, handball, basketball, street football etc.

    I don't know how Kobe is ignored, I think its obviously Kobe is the best talent in the NBA right now.

    The age limit is a great thing, March Madness was extremely exciting, and now American born players are more polished when they enter the NBA.

    The NBDL isn't a joke, but it can be improved. It doesn't work as well as the MLB minor leagues, but it has help rejuvinate some careers.

    Starks, I'll definately take a look at those books. I'm Dominican/Puerto Rican myself.

  13. #28
    Superstar ShairanXIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    501
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    my bad... i meant the early 21st century... the post jordan era (98 - 03)...

    kobe's talent level isn't the issue... the fact is... kobe was poised to be the face of the league until he got charged... when i say he's ignored i refer to mvp voting... subtract kobe from the lakers and they fight with boston and memphis for the most ping pong balls every year... same can't be said about the other mvp candidates...

    i'm as happy as anyone about march madness... but the nba and ncaa are two separate organizations... why force an 18 year old with earning potential to put it off for a year and risk injury, a poor showing or anything else that could damage his draft status and earning power...

    who exactly benefits from this age limit again? while there are some notable failures (kwame brown, samaki walker), most HS players have developed into productive nba types... and you can't seriously think that the rate of failure for HS athletes is any greater than it is for euros or college guys... HS all stars... lebron, kobe, amare, garnett, dhoward... off the bench you'd have t-mac, curry, joneal, rlewis, tyson chandler, monta ellis... i dare you to field a team of college players or euros that would win more than that bunch...

    the problem i have with the nbdl is that teams don't/can't (not sure which) send players down there to develop for an entire season... stern presented it as such... but it hasn't worked out that way... imagine if the knicks could send randolph morris, robinson and balkman to the minors for a couple months... then call them up once they polish their skills...

    in no way am i saying their is a grand conspiracy at work here... you look at the affect of the policies... and you see how regardless of intent... the outcome are policies that affect the american black athlete to a greater extent than his european counter part...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •