Boxing

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
That's great and all...but none of them tops RJ...NONE. Not only RJ...but Benard Hopkins, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Ali. You're crazy if you think that or just extremely biased...

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
It's quality not quantity kid. You named quantity...I named quality. Tell your 53 champs that they can't touch the great ones (RJ, Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson). thank you

metrocard

Legend
grouch.jpg

Get a job, grouch.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I have great job that makes alot of money unlike yourself but I don't know what that has to do with the topic? ooo that's right you like to go personal when you lose discussions LOL. I forgot about that. Anyways...hatton fights castillo this saturday...I'm thinking that castillo wins by KO but hatton has mad heart to squeeze out a SD or a UD. RJ fights Hanshaw and B-Hop fights Winky in the next couple of big bouts...who's going to win those? I say RJ wins by TKO in the 9th and B-Hop wins by UD against Winky.

metrocard

Legend
CottoAvatar.jpg

Mayweather needs to stop being a bitch and stop hiding. Cotto won the poll against Mayweather on HBOBOXING in a head to head match.

This a great article coming from Maxboxing
If I were a fighter—which I most definitely am not—and if I were in peak condition—which I most definitely am not—I would probably be a welterweight. And I would definitely be ducking Miguel Cotto at all costs.

Cotto is precisely the kind of fighter who would terrify me. The night before my fight with Cotto, I wouldn’t sleep a wink, seeing visions of him walking me down, winging left hooks that shatter my ribs. In my visions, he wouldn’t be swollen and oozing blood, because nothing I could do with my fists would actually put a scratch on him, but even if he was swollen and oozing blood, he’d be impossible to discourage. Maybe he’s not the fastest guy out there. Maybe he doesn’t have the trickiest moves. Maybe he isn’t very hard to find. That’s fine. Fast, tricky, elusive fighters aren’t the ones who make you wake up in a cold sweat. Destroyers like Miguel Cotto are.

If Floyd Mayweather, the all-around pound-for-pound best fighter alive, were signed to fight Cotto, he probably wouldn’t be nervous like I would. Mayweather, unlike me, knows how to defend himself, he’s had 38 professional fights and 90 amateur fights, and he’s so calm and poised in the ring, you get the sense there’s no opponent out there who could make him lose sleep. Mayweather probably doesn’t fear Cotto at all.

But he should. Because Cotto is the one fighter at 154 pounds or below whom I would favor to beat Floyd Mayweather. And not just BEAT Mayweather. BEAT UP Mayweather.

Mayweather, the best fighter to come out of the 1996 Olympics, recently beat Oscar De La Hoya, the best fighter to come out of the 1992 Olympics. But that was largely because the ’92 Olympian was a few years past his best and didn’t quite have the right style to tame Mayweather. But the best fighter to come out of the 2000 Olympics, Cotto, is in his prime right now. And he just happens to have the perfect style to defeat the best fighter from the previous Olympiad.

Can Mayweather be outboxed from the outside? I believe he can, but it would take a perfect performance from an elite fighter to do it. For four rounds, Zab Judah showed that it can be done. For about eight or nine rounds, De La Hoya was doing it on roughly even terms. But to focus and do it for all 12 rounds, to keep the jab pumping under the watchful eye of Mayweather’s counter right, apparently requires a boxer a notch above Judah and De La Hoya. And there aren’t a whole lot of those out there at the moment.

So the real prototype for a fighter who can beat Mayweather is one who can follow the blueprint laid out by Jose Luis Castillo. Castillo was significantly slower than Mayweather, as Cotto is, but in their first fight, he walked “Pretty Boy” down, kept putting leather to his body, cut off the ring, and controlled the later rounds en route to losing a disputed decision. And importantly, nothing Mayweather hit him with could slow him down.

In a pound-for-pound sense, Cotto’s chin is not even close to Castillo’s, but Cotto is a significantly bigger, stronger man, and since he stopped torturing himself to make 140 pounds, his jaw has looked considerably more sturdy. If Judah’s power wasn’t enough to convince Cotto to back off, I think it’s reasonable to theorize that Cotto will be able to walk through Mayweather’s best punches without being thrown off course. Mayweather, after all, should probably still be at 140 himself, where his punches would have more sting. Both he and Cotto are in their physical primes—Mayweather at 30, Cotto at 26—but Cotto is at his prime weight. Mayweather is not.

As far as I can tell, Cotto has the perfect set of attributes to defeat Mayweather. And perhaps the most important attribute of all is this: Cotto wants to FIGHT. He hungers to be in a two-way battle, taking some punches, getting busted up, and shaking it all off to land his wicked hooks. Mayweather has no such desire. He wants to BOX. Try to drag him into a fight, and he’ll try to drag you into a boxing match. Against most opponents, Mayweather can impose his will and fight his fight. But Cotto can impose his own will unlike anyone Mayweather has faced yet. And when it comes down to heart and guts in a brutal firefight, I don’t like Mayweather’s chances against Cotto. Did you see the way Cotto reacted to that nasty cut on his lip against Judah, or to the gash over his eye opened up by a head clash? He DIDN’T react. For him, bleeding is no more of a concern than sweating.

Fact:
In proportion, Puerto Rico is and has been the biggest champion producer in the World.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Great Article...but terrible post. You have no proof on your opinion. No proof...no fact, simple as that. Again Americans are in the top 5 all-time...not puerto rican. Quality over quantity...you still don't get that? RJ is the best of our generation...African American. Lennox Lewis Black...Evander Holyfield..black. B-Hop..black. Tyson....black. Must I go on? Puerto Ricans have nothing on the African Americans in the sport so put that argument down. It's great to have pride in your country but we have to be truthful and unbiased. Cute list by the way...good way to cop my style from 3 months ago LOL. And if you're going to diss me...diss me properly...lonely is spelled L-O-N-E-L-Y LOL. You can't seem to do anything right...

metrocard

Legend
^ Ignore list, stop following my culo, thanks.

In a recent interview with La Opinion, Fernando Vargas said that he wants to fight Miguel Cotto. After watching Cotto's victory over Judah, Vargas said that he feels inspired to fight for redemption because of his loss to Puerto Rican Felix Trinidad. Vargas went on to say that a victory over Cotto would make him very happy, and he would hope that Mexican boxing fans would forgive his loss to Trinidad. Vargas also said, "It all depends on how I feel after the Mayorga fight, of course I have to win to have any future in this sport.

vargasfatboy.jpg

LOL ^ FAT BOY, could barely make it to 154.

I think Cotto will move to 154 eventually, but I think it's still too early. He should stay at 147 for a while and take it over. After he becomes the undisputed, then would be a perfect time to move up, but I think 154 will be his downfall. Too short with his hands being too short aswell.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
^ Nope...too late. And who speaks two languages in posts? LOL. Guess you haven't learned all your english huh? It's ok...I understand.

Anyways no one cares about Vargas...he's done. Cotto on the other hand should fight Judah for a rematch...that's if Judah mans up. Judah had Cotto hurt early but the tides turned after the couple of low blows (that were supposedly not intentional). Regardless that changed the momentum of the fight. It neutralized Judah's quickness for long periods of time which allowed Judah's face to be turned into one big open cut. I think the fans want to see it...both would get rich, another sold out Garden...what more could they both ask for?

""I heard that," trainer Mayweather said. "Good for Tony the Tyger. He only told the truth and the truth, as the saying goes, will set you free. We've got a perfect game plan. Tony said that Roy is yesterday's news in boxing and he is correct but once Tony puts a real blast on him in Biloxi, Roy Jones will become ancient history. There is no doubt in my mind that Hanshaw, at age 28, is in prime time while Roy Jones is just another summer rerun. We respect the man for what he used to be."

Mayweather Sr. has been known to run his mouth at people but now he's running his mouth to RJJ...the best of fighter of this generation...in his past couple of fights we have seen the old RJ. The only problem is that he is gun shy after getting KO'ed two consecutive fights. If he would let his machine gun hands go then everyone will be turn into swiss cheese and he will reign over the world again...just like the 90s.

Castillo vs. Hatton...who wins? Castillo by TKO in 10th

metrocard

Legend
cottomayweather.jpg

Real men don't call themselves pretty.

"He may be one of those rare fighters in this generation who fights his way to the top, instead of maneuvers his way to the top (Miguel Cotto)." - Larry Merchant on Cotto

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
WOW...real men don't call themselves pretty?? I guess RJJ, Sugar Ray Robinson, Ali, and Floyd Mayweather aren't real men LOL. They were all number 1 pound 4 pound in the world at one point of there careers...has any of your boys done that?? NOPE. You fell into that one...

Two big fights are coming up...RJJ vs Hanshaw which could be the end of RJ if he loses and B-Hop vs Winky (2 fighters that are in the top 10 P4P). It's going to be interesting to see what RJ we see and B-Hop's defensive skill will make Winky frustrated all day. B-Hop can't be stopped right now and he's 42 LOL. I gotta to give it to him...he's the most disciplined boxer out right now and he's laughin at the haters right now.

By the way has anyone seen that KO from friday night fights?? Saw the fight on tv live and was in awe when Wilson dropped him. Easily the KO of the year...

metrocard

Legend
^ ignore list

The return of former three-division champ Felix Trinidad (42-2, 35 KOs) has an ultimate goal in mind - a rematch with Oscar De La Hoya. King met with Trinidad last Friday to discuss the comeback in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Trinidad is planning to make his return in January 2008, and his first target is light heavyweight Roy Jones Jr. Jones has to first beat unbeaten light heavyweight Anthony Hanshaw on July 14. King told boxing writer Dan Rafael that Trinidad's comeback bout will be in New York's Madison Square Garden. Jones is the first opponent on Trindad's list, but De La Hoya is the man that Trinidad wants most.

"He's in great spirits, great health and great shape. He is going to come back," King said. "Boxing needs this now. Boxing needs Tito. What he wants to do now is he wants to kick Roy Jones' ass. It's not a one-shot deal. His ultimate goal is to whip Oscar's ass, but we won't wait on Oscar. The island ain't big enough for both of them. But he won't beg for Oscar. So he will get Oscar by whipping everyone so nobody is left for Oscar to fight."

BoxingScene.com

I don't want Tito to fight Jones...because Jones is gonna fight a PBF type fight...getting away from Titos punch and running away like a pussy.

I heard some news that explained why Tito's taking this fight with RJJ and taking his career from there. According to a local trainer who knows Titos well, Tito owed King one more fight. King came down to offer Tito to either make a fight or settle it by paying him a law suit. I suspect Tito wanted to come back regardless for whatever reason and instead of paying the old bastard a law suit did the right thing and agreed to lace them up one more time and make some money out of it, that's the story I heard.

On Cotto/PBF :

I think PBF knows Cotto would be a difficult fight. I dont think PBF is afraid of Cotto, I mean PBF isnt afraid of anyone. However he understands that a fight with Cotto now wont make as much money as a fight with Cotto in 2008. PBF is all about $$$.

Also the fact that PBF has not talked crap about Cotto lately, that alone lets us know his thoughts on him. I mean he calls Mosley a Sparing Partner, Hatton a wrestler & Cotto a very Good Young Fighter. That means that something about Cotto has impressed him. I expect to see PBF vs COTTO june 2008

Cotto has a lot of underrated skills. His footwork is one of the most over looked assets. I was studying his balance and anticipation which I also think are underrated. In my opinion his hand speed is the puzzle breaker.
Most boxers punching speed are one dimensional. You can almost count and time fast hands like Judah, Mayweather, ODLH etc. They are always fast balls. You can count with slow swings when you see guys like Baldomir, Margarito, and Mayorga.

Cotto punching technique is much underrated for the following reason:

Most guys see Cotto's punching as slow, but is it really slow?
Cotto's punching timing is almost impossible to detect.

Some times He throws the same punch fast, some times slow, some time some where in the middle. Some times is snappy and others strong, they come from conventional and southpaw stands and come in all angles making Cotto the most multi dimensional boxer today. Judah found that out and maybe even saw it, but could not do a thing to stop it.

Bottom line is that Cotto is the most complete offensive "pitcher like" boxer of the league.

I don't see Mayweather, Margarito, Hatton, Mosley, ODLH or any other champion dealing with Cotto's timing.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
^ Ignorant list

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/News/Rios/Rios012904.htm

"So how exactly does Felix Trinidad tie into all of this? Back in 2001, a story broke of Felix Trinidad possibly fighting with illegal hand wraps in a story that Maxboxing.Com writer Steve Kim talked about in an article. The story goes that representatives of Bernard Hopkins camp went to see Trinidad getting his hands wrapped for the fight, which is customary in boxing, and upon arriving and seeing the wraps on Trinidad?s hands, specifically the left hand Team Hopkins contested the wraps and even threatened to cancel the bout, believing the wraps were incorrect. It took the Chief Inspector of the NYSAC to force Trinidad?s hands be re-wrapped the correct way, and even then, it didn?t take until the third try to get the wraps correctly done.

With the hands correctly wrapped, the title fight between Bernard Hopkins and Felix Trinidad went on, with Hopkins completely and thoroughly dominating Trinidad, stunning him at the end of round 10, and dropping in round 12 to end the fight. Hopkins preformed flawlessly and was dominating on all three judges scorecards at the end of the fight."

This is exactly why Tito doesn't want any part of RJJ. RJ is too fast and too powerful for this cat. He will scratch RJ and RJ will unleash 6-7-8 punch combos at will against titi...had to call him that since he's not a real man. Can't even wrap his gloves right to box...sad. Trinidad will probably be left out of the hall of fame because of this cheat allegation. I guess when you have no skill, you have to resort to other measures to get where you want to be at...

metrocard

Legend
^ Unemployed depressed chubby kid who can't get off the meat. On my ignore post, but still replies and dickrides all my post.
The return of former three-division champ Felix Trinidad (42-2, 35 KOs) has an ultimate goal in mind - a rematch with Oscar De La Hoya. King met with Trinidad last Friday to discuss the comeback in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Trinidad is planning to make his return in January 2008, and his first target is light heavyweight Roy Jones Jr. Jones has to first beat unbeaten light heavyweight Anthony Hanshaw on July 14. King told boxing writer Dan Rafael that Trinidad's comeback bout will be in New York's Madison Square Garden. Jones is the first opponent on Trindad's list, but De La Hoya is the man that Trinidad wants most.

"He's in great spirits, great health and great shape. He is going to come back," King said. "Boxing needs this now. Boxing needs Tito. What he wants to do now is he wants to kick Roy Jones' ass. It's not a one-shot deal. His ultimate goal is to whip Oscar's ass, but we won't wait on Oscar. The island ain't big enough for both of them. But he won't beg for Oscar. So he will get Oscar by whipping everyone so nobody is left for Oscar to fight."

BoxingScene.com

Tito would destroy RJJ, RJ is finished, if Glen Johnson could get him out of there with pressure imagine what Tito will do. Tito is a KO arist. RJJ's defense is very sloppy and would be vomitting Tito's glove at the end of the fight.

Guys like Floyd and RJJ run like pussies. Thats how they win fights.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
^ Ignorant list...see the preceding post to note what ignorant means. Dude doesn't have a meat to ride, can't speak english, fake-hood lil punk who can't take heat...that's why you sit on your depressed behind all day and spread the negativity cuz you cant get any...go get a tampon.

You're doing a good job ignoring me by the way...guess you can't get enough.

Only way titi would destroy RJ is if he cheated again because when he was exposed of his cheating ways, B-HOP got rid of him and sent him back to his trash can. RJ is faster, has more power and more experience. While the depressed titi wants a chance at a title...why do you think he wants to fight RJ?? Yep that's right...RJ is the better fighter and going to the hall of fame...where is titi going? NOWHERE. As to the RJ-Hanshaw fight...I don't know...depends if he has his legs. If RJ has his legs...no one in the world can beat him but if not then the tarver's and glen johnson's will feast on him.

metrocard

Legend
Dude, get the fuck out of this forum. You contribute absolutely nothing to this forum except your ignorant hick bullshit bias post. You're on my IGNORE list, don't you realize I can't read your post? It is the most homo thing to see you constantly post after my post. I ignored yet you continue to follow me. If you're going to do this at your stay in the forum, then just get the fuck out. I don't want to discuss boxing with you cause you're a fucking ignorant monkey with no boxing experience or any sources. You don't contribute any links, news, insight, logical post, information, agreements, legit disagreements, you are by FAR smelliest caca to ever register on this site.

I honestly don't give a fuck if I get a warning for this post. I told the moderators about your obsessive stalking on me in this forum.

Go away, get a job, gf, buy some weed, do something in your life that will get you away from me.

Peace out.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Are you done? Weak and ignorant as usual...you never surprise me lol. I've obviously got in your head and I'm sorry if I made you cry lol

Anyways anyone hear of RJ sabotaging Hanshaw's final week of workouts? RJ is up to his old mental tricks. Hopefully it won't backfire on him. And Jermaine Taylor is moving up after he fights Pavlick. I think Pav will beat him...especially if Taylor shows up in the same state of mind when he fought Spinks. And did anyone see vic get KO'ed? Thought the man was invincible. Big month of boxing coming up...can't wait til the fights go down