Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Boxing

Anybody see the judah-cotto fight? Great fight. The low blows were a bit dirty but thats part of the sport. Cotto cut off the ring like what I said he had to do to win the fight and he did that exceptionally. He's on his way to stardom...

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

You have to kill Cotto before you beat him. Glass jaw? No where to be found. Judah layed some nice hooks on Cotto, but Cotto is too tough and recovered quickly from being stunned.

Cotto has 1,001 ways to win a fight, even when he's hurt. Judah cut him under his lower lip, he cut Cotto on his right eyebrow with a headbutt and Cotto simply didn't care and came straight forward with a brutal offense. And what about the horrible beating Cotto gave to Judah? The way Cotto left Judah's right side of his face after the fight speaks for itself.

Cotto haters, do you believe now or you'll keep looking for more ways to fool yourselves thinking Cotto will lose a fight???

When your fighting Cotto it is NOT like Oscar...Cotto won't stay there like a dumbass waiting for a good shot...Cotto fights the 3 minutes of the round, sooner or later Mayweather is going to have to throw some shots if he wants to try and win. Thats where cotto will catch him continuously until Mayweather cant continue, something similar to what just happened with Zab.

Cotto is eating dudes alive right now.

Veteran

Thumbs down

Missed the fight because I'm not falling for the hype anymore and paying for a tap dance ie Mayweather-De la Hoya. But as far as PR standing for more talent: PLEASE!!! If that was the case history would full of PR boxers for decades. If I had to guess most of the PR boxers train in the US anyway.

PLEASE!!! If that was the case history would full of PR boxers for decades.
    Exactly...no one from puerto rico at their prime can match Roy Jones jr, Benard Hopkins, James Toney, and Evander Holyfield. I could name more but I don't want to take all day LOL.

12th man

Puerto Rico produces the most talent for its size and population.

Are you aware there are more world champions in boxing from Puerto Rico than anywhere else? Thats RIGHT! 53.

Even boxing experts would agree

Boxing isn't even a mainstream sport in America anymore.

#1. Felix "Tito" Trinidad
    (42-1, 35 KO's)
    Cupey Alto, Puerto Rico (1990-2004).
    Future Hall of Famer and former IBF welterweight, WBA junior middleweight and WBA middleweight champion. Devastating puncher with wicked left hook. Won first world championship at 20, when he KO'd Maurice Blocker in two-rounds, in 1993. Holds victories over, Hector Camacho, Yori Boy Campas, Pernell Whitaker, Oscar De La Hoya, Fernando Vargas, William Joppy and Ricardo Mayorga.

#2. Wilfredo "El Radar" Benitez
    (53-8-1, 31 KO's)
    San Juan, Puerto Rico (1973-1990).
    -Benitez became the youngest fighter to win a world title at the age of 17, when he defeated Antonio Cervantes, to capture the WBA junior welterweight crown in 1976. Tremendous boxer-puncher and Hall of Famer, who went on to win the WBA welterweight and junior middleweight titles. Victories over Bruce Curry, Carlos Palomino, Randy Shields and Roberto Duran. Stayed too long at the party.

#3. Wilfredo "Bazooka" Gomez
    (44-3-1, 42 KO's)
    Las Monjas, Puerto Rico (1974-1989).
    -A weapon from 122 to130 pounds. Devastating puncher and crowd pleaser. Had one of the highest knockout win percentages in professional boxing, winning 88 percent of his bouts by knockout. Ring Magazine ranked Gómez as thirteenth on a list of the all-time greatest punchers in 2003. First captured the WBA super bantamweight crown with a 12 rd. TKO of Dong-Kyun Yum, in 1977 and successfully defended his title 13 times. Gomez later recaptured the WBA belt with a 6th rd. TKO over Juan Meza, then won the WBA featherweight belt and WBA super featherweight crowns. Holds wins over Carlos Zarate, Ruben Valdez, Derrik Holmes, Juan Antonio Lopez, Robert Rubaldino, Lupe Pintor, Juan LaPorte and Rocky Lockridge.

#4. Carlos Ortiz (60-7-1, 29 KO's)
    Ponce, Puerto Rico (1955-1972).
    -Outstanding junior lightweight and WBC & WBA lightweight champion. Hall of Famer and class act of the 135-pound division. An excellent boxer/puncher throughout the 1950 and 1960's. Holds wins over Kenny Lane, Battling Torres, Joe Brown, Doug Valiant, Flash Elorde, Ishmael Laguna, and Sugar Ramos.

#5. Edwin "El Chappo" Rosario
    (47 -6, 41 KO's)
    Toa Baja, Puerto Rico (1979-1997.)
    -Talented slugger and three time world champion; WBC and WBA lightweight titleholder, WBA junior welterweight king. Captured the vacant WBC 135-pound crown with win over Jose Luis Ramirez, lost crown in 1984 "Fight of the Year" to Ramirez 19 months later. Recaptured title with brutal 2nd rd. KO of Livingston Bramble. His outstanding record shows wins over Edwin Viruet, Howard Davis Jr., Frankie Randall, Anthony Jones, and a stunning third round TKO over WBA 140-pound champion Loreto Garza, after dropping the titleholder twice in the 1st and twice in the 3rd.

#6. Sammy "El Torbellino" Serrano
    (52-4-1, 17 KO's)
    Toa Alto, Puerto Rico (1969-1997.)
    -Classic boxer mover, who could sting you with either hand. Captured the WBA super featherweight belt by outpointing Ben Vilaflor, in 1976 and defended the belt 10 times. Won the same title back by outpointing Yasutsune Uehara and defended it two more times. Holds wins over Apollo Yoshio, Young-Ho Oh, Julio Valdez, Nkosana "Happy Boy" Mgxaji, Battlehawk Kazama and Benedicto Vilablanca.

#7. Jose "Chegui" Torres
    (41-3-1, 29 KO's)
    Playa Ponce, Puerto Rico (1958-1969).
    -Former outstanding middleweight who moved up to 175 and captured the WBA & WBC light heavyweight belts by scoring a ninth round TKO over Willie Pastrano, in 1965. A Hall of Famer, who defended his titles three times, Torres remains one of boxing's most elegant spokesmen. Wins over Jose Gonzalez, Gomeo Brennan, Carl "Bobo" Olson, Wayne Thorton, Eddie Cotton and Chic Calderwood.

#8. Estaban De Jesus
    (57-5, 32 KO's)
    Carolina, Puerto Rico (1969-1980).
    -Gifted boxer puncher, who was the first man to defeat Roberto Duran. Captured the WBC lightweight title by scoring a 15-rd. win over Guts Ishimatsu, in 1976. Defended title three times and holds lifetime wins over Duran, Ray Lampkin, Johnny Gant, Hector Julio Medina, Buzzsaw Yamabe, Vincente Saldivar and Edwin Viruet.

#9. John John Molina
    (52-7, 33 KO's)
    Fajardo, Puerto Rico (1986-2001).
    -Former three-time world champion. Captured the vacant WBO super featherweight belt by scoring a 12-rd. win over Juan LaPorte, in 1989. Six months later, Molina won the IBF 130-pound crown by scoring a 10th rd. TKO over Tony "Tiger" Lopez. Molina holds victories over Lupe Suarez, Jackie Gunguluza, Fernando Caicedo, Francisco Segura, Manuel Medina, Bernard Taylor and Goyo Vargas.

#10. Wilfredo "Pride of Puerto Rico" Vazquez
    (56-9-2, 41 KO's)
    Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico (1981-2002).
    -Explosive fighter and holder of three different world championships in three different divisions. Former WBA bantamweight, WBA super bantamweight and WBA featherweight titleholder. Captured his first world title by scoring a 10th rd. TKO over Chan-Yong Park in 1987. Vazquez went on to win the WBA 122-pound crown with a 3rd rd. TKO over Raul Perez in 1992, and the WBA featherweight title by scoring a 11th rd. TKO over Eloy Rojas. Holds victories over Juan Carazo, Thierry Jacob, Luis Enrique Mendoza, Hiroaki Yokota, Yuichi Kasai, Jae-Won Choi, Bernardo Manuel Mendoza, Yuji Watanabe, Roque Cassiani and Genaro Rios.

#11. Alfredo "El Salsero" Escalera
    (53-14-3, 31 KO's)
    Carolina, Puerto Rico (1970-1983).
    -Tremendous boxer, puncher, performer, who won the WBA super featherweight title by scoring a second round KO over Kuniaki Shibata in 1975. Escalera would go on to defend his crown nine times. "El Salsero" holds victories over Frankie Otero, Svein Erik Paulsen, Buzzsaw Yambe, Ray Luny III, Tyrone Everett, Ronnie McGarvey, Carlos Becerril and Sigfredo Rodriguez.

#12 Hector Camacho
    (78-5-2, 38 KO's)
    Bayamón, Puerto Rico (1980-2004)
    -Captured the vacant WBC Super Featherweight Title, when he KO'd Rafael "Bazooka" Limon at 2:52 of the fifth round, in 1983, then in 1985, he won the WBC lightweight crown, by scoring a 12 rd. unanimous decision over Jose Luis Ramirez. In 1989, Camacho would go on to claim the vacant WBO junior welterweight belt by scoring a 12 rd. split decision over Ray Mancini. Camacho won 39 straight fights until he was upset by Greg Haugen and lost a 12 round split decision. In that bout, Camacho had a point deducted at the start of the final round because he hit his opponent rather than shake hands. Camacho would go on to win a variety of fringe titles and keep fighting for a number of years. Camacho holds win over, Edwin Rosario, Cornelius Boza-Edwards, Howard Davis, Jr., Vinny Pazienza, Tony Baltazar, Greg Haugen, Luis Maysonet, Gary Kirkland, Sugar Ray Leonard, Tony Menefee, and Roberto Duran.

That's great and all...but none of them tops RJ...NONE. Not only RJ...but Benard Hopkins, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Ali. You're crazy if you think that or just extremely biased...

12th man

Originally Posted by The 1 and Only
    That's great and all...but none of them tops RJ...NONE. Not only RJ...but Benard Hopkins, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Ali. You're crazy if you think that or just extremely biased...
    Who said that, or cares? PR has 53 world champions. We won.

It's quality not quantity kid. You named quantity...I named quality. Tell your 53 champs that they can't touch the great ones (RJ, Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson). thank you

"That Puerto Rico ranks third in the world with the most boxing champions in history, after the United States and Mexico?"

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Now what were you saying about Puerto Rico has the most champs ever? You're argument is dead. NEXT...

12th man

Originally Posted by The 1 and Only
    It's quality not quantity kid.
    We have both.

You use wikipedia as a mainsorce. No wonder why you fail in all of your post.

Yet that is why everyone disagrees with you?? LOL

12th man

Get a job, grouch.

I have great job that makes alot of money unlike yourself but I don't know what that has to do with the topic? ooo that's right you like to go personal when you lose discussions LOL. I forgot about that. Anyways...hatton fights castillo this saturday...I'm thinking that castillo wins by KO but hatton has mad heart to squeeze out a SD or a UD. RJ fights Hanshaw and B-Hop fights Winky in the next couple of big bouts...who's going to win those? I say RJ wins by TKO in the 9th and B-Hop wins by UD against Winky.

12th man

Mayweather needs to stop being a bitch and stop hiding. Cotto won the poll against Mayweather on HBOBOXING in a head to head match.

This a great article coming from Maxboxing
    If I were a fighter—which I most definitely am not—and if I were in peak condition—which I most definitely am not—I would probably be a welterweight. And I would definitely be ducking Miguel Cotto at all costs.

Cotto is precisely the kind of fighter who would terrify me. The night before my fight with Cotto, I wouldn’t sleep a wink, seeing visions of him walking me down, winging left hooks that shatter my ribs. In my visions, he wouldn’t be swollen and oozing blood, because nothing I could do with my fists would actually put a scratch on him, but even if he was swollen and oozing blood, he’d be impossible to discourage. Maybe he’s not the fastest guy out there. Maybe he doesn’t have the trickiest moves. Maybe he isn’t very hard to find. That’s fine. Fast, tricky, elusive fighters aren’t the ones who make you wake up in a cold sweat. Destroyers like Miguel Cotto are.

If Floyd Mayweather, the all-around pound-for-pound best fighter alive, were signed to fight Cotto, he probably wouldn’t be nervous like I would. Mayweather, unlike me, knows how to defend himself, he’s had 38 professional fights and 90 amateur fights, and he’s so calm and poised in the ring, you get the sense there’s no opponent out there who could make him lose sleep. Mayweather probably doesn’t fear Cotto at all.

But he should. Because Cotto is the one fighter at 154 pounds or below whom I would favor to beat Floyd Mayweather. And not just BEAT Mayweather. BEAT UP Mayweather.

Mayweather, the best fighter to come out of the 1996 Olympics, recently beat Oscar De La Hoya, the best fighter to come out of the 1992 Olympics. But that was largely because the ’92 Olympian was a few years past his best and didn’t quite have the right style to tame Mayweather. But the best fighter to come out of the 2000 Olympics, Cotto, is in his prime right now. And he just happens to have the perfect style to defeat the best fighter from the previous Olympiad.

Can Mayweather be outboxed from the outside? I believe he can, but it would take a perfect performance from an elite fighter to do it. For four rounds, Zab Judah showed that it can be done. For about eight or nine rounds, De La Hoya was doing it on roughly even terms. But to focus and do it for all 12 rounds, to keep the jab pumping under the watchful eye of Mayweather’s counter right, apparently requires a boxer a notch above Judah and De La Hoya. And there aren’t a whole lot of those out there at the moment.

So the real prototype for a fighter who can beat Mayweather is one who can follow the blueprint laid out by Jose Luis Castillo. Castillo was significantly slower than Mayweather, as Cotto is, but in their first fight, he walked “Pretty Boy” down, kept putting leather to his body, cut off the ring, and controlled the later rounds en route to losing a disputed decision. And importantly, nothing Mayweather hit him with could slow him down.

In a pound-for-pound sense, Cotto’s chin is not even close to Castillo’s, but Cotto is a significantly bigger, stronger man, and since he stopped torturing himself to make 140 pounds, his jaw has looked considerably more sturdy. If Judah’s power wasn’t enough to convince Cotto to back off, I think it’s reasonable to theorize that Cotto will be able to walk through Mayweather’s best punches without being thrown off course. Mayweather, after all, should probably still be at 140 himself, where his punches would have more sting. Both he and Cotto are in their physical primes—Mayweather at 30, Cotto at 26—but Cotto is at his prime weight. Mayweather is not.

As far as I can tell, Cotto has the perfect set of attributes to defeat Mayweather. And perhaps the most important attribute of all is this: Cotto wants to FIGHT. He hungers to be in a two-way battle, taking some punches, getting busted up, and shaking it all off to land his wicked hooks. Mayweather has no such desire. He wants to BOX. Try to drag him into a fight, and he’ll try to drag you into a boxing match. Against most opponents, Mayweather can impose his will and fight his fight. But Cotto can impose his own will unlike anyone Mayweather has faced yet. And when it comes down to heart and guts in a brutal firefight, I don’t like Mayweather’s chances against Cotto. Did you see the way Cotto reacted to that nasty cut on his lip against Judah, or to the gash over his eye opened up by a head clash? He DIDN’T react. For him, bleeding is no more of a concern than sweating.

Fact:
    In proportion, Puerto Rico is and has been the biggest champion producer in the World.

Great Article...but terrible post. You have no proof on your opinion. No proof...no fact, simple as that. Again Americans are in the top 5 all-time...not puerto rican. Quality over quantity...you still don't get that? RJ is the best of our generation...African American. Lennox Lewis Black...Evander Holyfield..black. B-Hop..black. Tyson....black. Must I go on? Puerto Ricans have nothing on the African Americans in the sport so put that argument down. It's great to have pride in your country but we have to be truthful and unbiased. Cute list by the way...good way to cop my style from 3 months ago LOL. And if you're going to diss me...diss me properly...lonely is spelled L-O-N-E-L-Y LOL. You can't seem to do anything right...