Official 2007 NBA Draft Thread

metrocard

Legend
All your mocks...trade suggestions, rumors, trade transactions...etc all on here.

1. Portland
2. Seattle
3. Atlanta
4. Memphis
5. Boston
6. Milwaukee
7. Minnesota
8. Charlotte
9. Chicago
10. Sacramento
11. Atlanta
12. Philly
13. New Orleans
14. LA Clippers

Reference sites
http://draftexpress.com/
nbadraft.net

metrocard

Legend
I thought this would be a neat deal for both teams

Portland Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Zach Randolph
6-9 PF from Michigan State
23.6 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 2.2 apg in 35.7 minutes

Jarrett Jack
6-3 PG from Georgia Tech
12.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 5.3 apg in 33.5 minutes

2007 Draft #37 Pick
0-0 from
No games yet played in 2006/07

2007 Draft #42 Pick
0-0 from

2007 Draft #52 Pick
0-0 from

2007 Draft #53 Pick
0-0 from
Incoming

Speedy Claxton
5-11 PG from Hofstra
5.3 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 4.4 apg in 25.1 minutes

Marvin Williams
6-8 SF from North Carolina
13.0 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 1.8 apg in 33.8 minutes

Salim Stoudamire
6-1 PG from Arizona
7.8 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 1.0 apg in 17.3 minutes

2007 Draft #03 Pick
0-0 from
Change in team outlook: -9.5 ppg, -4.4 rpg, and -0.3 apg.

Atlanta Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Speedy Claxton
5-11 PG from Hofstra
5.3 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 4.4 apg in 25.1 minutes

Marvin Williams
6-8 SF from North Carolina
13.0 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 1.8 apg in 33.8 minutes

Salim Stoudamire
6-1 PG from Arizona
7.8 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 1.0 apg in 17.3 minutes

2007 Draft #03 Pick
0-0 from
Incoming

Zach Randolph
6-9 PF from Michigan State
23.6 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 2.2 apg in 35.7 minutes

Jarrett Jack
6-3 PG from Georgia Tech
12.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 5.3 apg in 33.5 minutes

2007 Draft #37 Pick
0-0 from

2007 Draft #42 Pick
0-0 from

2007 Draft #52 Pick
0-0 from

2007 Draft #53 Pick
0-0 from
Change in team outlook: +9.5 ppg, +4.4 rpg, and +0.3 apg.

Successful Scenario
Due to Portland being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Portland had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Alanta
Jack
Johnson
Smith
Randolph
Williams

6th man
Children

Bench of
Pauculia
Johnson
#11th
+ FA's.

Portland
Conley(#3)
Roy
Webster
Aldridge
Oden(#1)

Bench
Rodriguez
Udoka
Miles
Outlaw
Pryzbilla
Williams
Stoudimire
Claxton

For Alanta
They fill in their weakest gaps at PG and PF with Jack, a young defensive PG, and a scoring PF like Zach Randolph. They also recieve 4 second rounders to improve their weak bench

For Portland
They get two franchise players in Conley and Oden. They also recieve a young prospect in Williams and insurence for the bench.

Just an idea...I go crazy with trade checker

rady

Administrator
Staff member
two things made me smile after this. celtics getting screwed-up and bulls getting the 9th pick. (anyone got a pic with that crying celtic fan? :boohoo:) this doesn't make it that hard to swallow for us. big up for portland, if they keep oden (don't know why draft express has durant as the 1st pick) they might just be a playoff contender. They have 4 picks this year some trades might get them on the track.
In other order of ideas, what would it been worse? For us to get the top pick and celtics #2, or vice-versa?

metrocard

Legend
two things made me smile after this. celtics getting screwed-up and bulls getting the 9th pick. (anyone got a pic with that crying celtic fan? :boohoo:) this doesn't make it that hard to swallow for us. big up for portland, if they keep oden (don't know why draft express has durant as the 1st pick) they might just be a playoff contender. They have 4 picks this year some trades might get them on the track.
In other order of ideas, what would it been worse? For us to get the top pick and celtics #2, or vice-versa?

Yeh, the Curry deal doesn't look so bad after all. Celtics got owned after tanking the season, congrats to the Portland franchise, I wish Knicks were in the same position as Portland. The number one 1, 4 second rounders, and a roster loaded with talent and potential.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
i don't see why at atlanta would trade for zach randolph for the #3 and some of their guys... the more likely scenarios is randolph to WAS for their first rounder and either Etan Thomas or Brendan Heywood...

Kiyaman

Legend
Trade the 23rd pick for Ron Artest!

A realistic offseason for the Knicks would be the Coach telling all the Knicks young players that if the Knick Veterans dont get their act together and learn how to play with their fellow veteran teammate that he will let the young players play together to build a growth of Team-Play for the future of this Knick Team.

With young players like Nate, Collins, Balkman, Lee, Frye, and Randolph Morris, they have the talent to carry this Knick Team to a much better season than just 33 WINS with some decent playingtime together.

The addition of Randolph Morris talent with Channing Frye and David Lee in the Center/Foward position is great for this Knick Team if Coach Isiah start utilizing just these three players in a regular rotation together. But he wont because of his big million dollar contract investments in Curry, James, Malik, and Jefferies whom gets majority of playingtime. So for the Knicks young Bigmen to bring success to this Knick team two of Isiah big contract bigmen players must be traded for one player (Ron Artest).

Many Knick-Fans has been down on Nate Robinson and Channing Frye for no reason other than Coach Isiah assignment roles for these (two) players this past season.
Knick-Fans commented on Nate's maturity and decision making when not looking at the role Nate been giving to play alongside of Marbury & Francis this season.
The same goes for Channing Frye role with Curry and Q.Rich on the court with him (Curry wants the middle on offense to score and Q.Rich want the middle on defense to rebound leaving Frye no time in the middle at 6.11). It is not hard to see that Marbury, Francis, Q.Rich, Jefferies, and Curry are all HALFCOURT-OFFENSIVE Players without a FASTBREAK running game in their bone. What does this do to fast running players like Nate and Frye who luv to take advantage of oponents that cant keep up with them on both sides of the court? It makes them mentally tired of watching slow veteran one dimensional teammates control the game. All the Knicks young Players should ask to be traded this offseason. When Jefferies was added to the Knicks lineup and rotation it was CHAOS in any system or play the team used in the frontcourt and backcourt. I still cant figure out what Jefferies was doing on the court to help his teammates in anything, but young players Frye & Nate had to put up with Jefferies in the game with them this past season with whatever playingtime they received.

This seems like a long draft so the Knicks second round pick maybe the best option this comming season to play the bench and learn the NBA. <!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
I don't agree at all. First off, Marbury and Francis still have some fastbreak in them...remember folks...30 is not old. And why IT tell his players that he'll play the youngins over the vets when he knows that everyone knows that if he does this then the team is not making the playoffs. Be realistic...if you play all of IT's recents draft picks without feeding major minutes to Marbury, Curry, and Q-Rich...then this team is not making playoffs plain and simple. Again I love our young players, but they arent ready to carry this team to the playoffs. Don't overhype them now...and our overpaid bigmen are not going anywhere. The GM who takes James and his contract will be fired immediately. Other than that I wouldn't mind we trading our draft pick for artest. Our rotation is already set unless we get Almond or possibly Sean Williams. Other than that we're just picking a rookie for the future. Half our roster is composed of IT's draft picks. We already have the youth movement going...its time to get a vet...

metrocard

Legend
I don't agree at all. First off, Marbury and Francis still have some fastbreak in them...remember folks...30 is not old. And why IT tell his players that he'll play the youngins over the vets when he knows that everyone knows that if he does this then the team is not making the playoffs. Be realistic...if you play all of IT's recents draft picks without feeding major minutes to Marbury, Curry, and Q-Rich...then this team is not making playoffs plain and simple. Again I love our young players, but they arent ready to carry this team to the playoffs. Don't overhype them now...and our overpaid bigmen are not going anywhere. The GM who takes James and his contract will be fired immediately. Other than that I wouldn't mind we trading our draft pick for artest. Our rotation is already set unless we get Almond or possibly Sean Williams. Other than that we're just picking a rookie for the future. Half our roster is composed of IT's draft picks. We already have the youth movement going...its time to get a vet...

Francis garbage.

Marbury is a half court PG, more than a fast break PG.

The young guys on this team aren't ready to contribute, but so are the older guys. James, Francis, Rose, and Cato are all scrubs, whats your point?

Why are you always bashing younger guys but obsessing with older men? Whats wrong with you child.

We don't need to get a "vet".

We need to subtract, and develop a core of

Marbury
Richardson
Balkman
Collins
Lee
Morris
and maybe Robinson

Everyone else needs to be distant from this franchise.

Draft Rudy Fernandez

Last edited:

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
"Glen "Big Baby" Davis from LSU, Rice guard Morris Almond, Duke's Josh McRoberts, and USC's Nick Young made up a quartet of quality prospects who worked out for the Knicks on Thursday." all on www.nyknicks.com

George M.

Benchwarmer
Draft Watch

The Knicks need to draft Derrick Byars SG/SF and trade Frye and Nate up to get S.Williams or Noah!!!!:thumbsup:

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Who in this forum has seen Randolph Morris play a single second as a professional basketball player? Sure the guy was good in college and he has size and people think he will be good... but why are we so willing to give up on our 6'11 offensive monster that is Eddy Curry for an unproven rookie? if the goal is the playoffs and a future championship team... then we should hold on to what we have and evaluate it... unless we can find some idiot to take on james, rose and francis' contract without giving us a longer term deal in return...

why is everyone so obsessed with us becoming a fast break team anyway? other than the showtime lakers... name the last fast break team that won a championship... how many fastbreak teams made it out of their conferences this year? the regular season is for running and gunning... but during a seven game series it's the half court team that wins... look at all our finalists since 91...

chi/la
chi/por
chi/pho
hou/ny
hou/orl
chi/sea
chi/uta
chi/uta
sa/ny
la/ind
la/phi
la/nj
sa/nj
la/det
sa/det
mia/dal
cle/sa

all these squads were half court teams... if our goal is a championship and not some exciting sell out games at the garden... then we NEED to develop a strong half court team... we have the personel to do that effectively... it's not that we should never run... but that shouldn't be the primary focus of our offense...

i don't care who we draft since we have a track record of making good decisions there

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
Insanity, but decent draft overall.

Upsides
Randolph is a talented player, one of the best young PF's in the game today. He can shoot, score in the paint, rebound, and has a tough attitude.

Downsides
- Long heavy contract (Not really much of a problem, atleast Randolph is a productive player unlike Francis, Jefferies, Rose, and James). We could test Randolph out for 2 years, and if we don't like him by then, he'll be a 27-28 PF in his prime with a lot of value still, unlike the following guys I name.
- Defense. Not really of capable being a man defender or help defender. Doesn't address our issues in defense and turnover problems.

Randolph/Curry frontcourt is pretty weak defensively and average 7 turnover game if you combind them.

That leaves me to the question, how will ball be moved? Both of these guys holding on to the ball and scoring on their own, unassisted. I hope it works out, they're both talented enough, they just need to be smart enough. If they do that, no one in the East will fuck with our front court.

I thought Isiah did alright, I'm not going to blame him for anything. We got a good shooter from Syracuse who has potential to be an excellent defender at the 3.

I like Chandler (I would of prefered Rudy Fernandez, but its okay). Chandler is well rounded. They said he needs to work on his dribble, and I don't put much into that. Chandler will most likely be doing the dirty work, not asked to create offensive plays for the Knicks. I could see him playing an Ariza role. He interest me, because he has good shooting form, he just needs to set his feet more consistantly; it can get sloppy at times.

With the addition of two SF"s...where does that leave Balkman and Jefferies? If I was Isiah, I would try to deal Jefferies. He no longer has a place on this team. Balkman/Chandler/Demetris is all we need at the SF position.

I'm giving Randolph 2 years, he's been improving each season, hopefully he becomes less selfish in New York. We don't need selfishness with our turnover prone team.

Overall grade
B-

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Starting to step your game up on your posts man...good unbiased post. My only problem is why add another post scorer when we still lack a perimeter threat. Nichols is a killer 3pt shooter. I've seen the kid play up at Syracuse. Scoring is not a problem for him. I just hope Q-Rich stays healthy enough and JC steps his shooting game up so we can actually have low posts scorers without having the whole opposing team defending the low post...now that is when TOs will decrease and W's will increase

metrocard

Legend
I actually look at it again...Isiah fucked up.

We had some holes at shooting and post defense.

Rudy was one of the best shooters available, and probably the best SG prospect in the draft. We passed on him.

Tiago Splitter was the best defensive big man available and it wasn't for his contract, he would of been a top 10 pick. We passed on him too.

Chandler is a good player, but passing on those guys is something Isiah will regret in the future. I really wanted Splitter more than anything. Splitter would of been the perfect compliment to Curry, the PERFECT compliment.

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
splitter would be but i dont think he would bring much more to the table than lee....he has a better handle i guess but not much else. we needed a shooter badly more so.

metrocard

Legend
so basically a more athletic david lee?

Lee is athletic, Splitter's defense in the paint is why I really wanted him. When Splitter was 16, people compared him to Dirk or Gasol, because of his offensive game, shooting from 18 feet, posting up, taking it off the dribble. Now he's matured in Europe, and he plays like a Tyson Chandler/PJ Brown, a total reserve of what people projected him to be.

Guys like Chandler, Brown, Splitter would be an awesome compliment to Curry; so Curry weaknesses won't get exposed as much.