Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Knicks ready to buy out francis

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    171
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Knicks ready to buy out francis

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]



    really no suprise to me

  2. #2
    The Gold Mac MSGKnickz33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    4,474
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    if francis stays, he'll only be stealing minutes from collins and nate robinson. Bottom line is he needs to go and I wish him good luck wherever he ends up

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    245
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Buyouts are the biggest waste of money, espicially on a max contract! It's not like we're going to be under the cap all that soon, so we should just hold on to the contract, since it does become very valuable at the end of next season, who knows maybe we can get someone to bite at it at the trading deadlilne durning next season, but a buy out just doesn't do anything for a team that will be over that the cap by about 35 million. Just my opinion

  4. #4
    Veteran Trin_Starr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Trumbull, CT
    Posts
    1,093
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    but the thing is that when you buy out a contract it saves on the luxury tax, so keeping francis for a year would be equivalent to $15mil in pay and $15mil in luxury tax = $30mil, whereas if he bought out Dolan only pays the salary alone.

    What I propose is that they don't buy him out but send him home - away from the team.....this way when he realizes that he wants to play on another team, he'll be willing to accept a much lower buyout price from the knicks and then he is free to sign on with some other team.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,813
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Trin_Starr
    What I propose is that they don't buy him out but send him home - away from the team.....this way when he realizes that he wants to play on another team, he'll be willing to accept a much lower buyout price from the knicks and then he is free to sign on with some other team.

    a buyout means nothing to the knicks... except for dolan's pocketbook..

    for cap purposes, he is getting 32/33m over the next two years, and this does not change even if they buy him out for $1

    i do not think u are going to force stevie's hand by sending him home... he will sit back and keep on collecting his $$$

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    245
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Again that contract does become an asset at the end of next season, and if we utilize it correctly we can come out looking good on the Penny/Ariza deal....but if all we do is buyout to save on the luxary tax, like Paris said James Dolan is the only one who will reap the rewards. Not saying it is all that likely...but if Garnett is available next summer we will have the expiring contract to offer, if nothing else.... Again not saying that is all that likely but for a chance at Garnett I would eat the contract atleast for another year and half, if there are no takers by the 08/09 trade deadline then Buyout to save a few bucks

  7. #7
    Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,696
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Trade him to the Bobcats. For who I don't know but the Bobcats have to add on salary or they get charged. They will be at $27,677,786 next year. The salary cap is $56 million. The minimum team salary is defined as 75% of the salary cap. Any team that doesn't spend at least that much is surcharged at the end of the season, and that money is given to the players.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    They could add on Francis just so they don't get hit.

  8. #8
    Your Best Bet is B Ez datruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    1,553
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    just wish steve francis was healthy to see if him and marbury could work cuz i remember this one game against atlanta that both of em put on a show, it was qrazy

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    171
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by datruth
    just wish steve francis was healthy to see if him and marbury could work cuz i remember this one game against atlanta that both of em put on a show, it was qrazy

    that was a good game

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    245
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by donchris
    Trade him to the Bobcats. For who I don't know but the Bobcats have to add on salary or they get charged. They will be at $27,677,786 next year. The salary cap is $56 million. The minimum team salary is defined as 75% of the salary cap. Any team that doesn't spend at least that much is surcharged at the end of the season, and that money is given to the players.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    They could add on Francis just so they don't get hit.
    you learn something new everyday! Isiah would be GM of the year if he pulled that one off

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    0

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by datruth
    just wish steve francis was healthy to see if him and marbury could work cuz i remember this one game against atlanta that both of em put on a show, it was qrazy
    I hear what you are saying bro, but in all seriousness, they were playing the Atlanta Hawks...Chris "Dud"ley (what a name BTW) could throw up 20 and 15 on them if he really wanted to.

  12. #12
    Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,696
    Rep Power
    12

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by eastlinykfan
    I hear what you are saying bro, but in all seriousness, they were playing the Atlanta Hawks...Chris "Dud"ley (what a name BTW) could throw up 20 and 15 on them if he really wanted to.
    There are three reasons why the Marbury/Francis back court didn't work.

    1. Francis doesn't play D.
    2. Curry is a scoring big man that needs the ball. He doesn't rebound and doesn't play very much D.
    3. Francis was 'injured' most of the season. (It looks like he's a big faker but 'injured' non the less)

    Not taking anything away from Curry but if we had a Ben Wallace type of Center that doesn't need or want the ball, two scoring guards can work. But that's not the hand we've been dealt. We've got one of the best low post centers in the league and I'm happy with his progress. Bottom line a line up with Curry and Francis doesn't appear to work.

  13. #13
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by paris401
    a buyout means nothing to the knicks... except for dolan's pocketbook..

    for cap purposes, he is getting 32/33m over the next two years, and this does not change even if they buy him out for $1

    i do not think u are going to force stevie's hand by sending him home... he will sit back and keep on collecting his $$$
    Yep.

    At this point, we're ****ed under the cap. But getting rid of Francis is a huge step foward to excellence. The Francis trade set us backwards and was unnessary, especially for an expiring contract and a cheap talented defensive player like Ariza.

    LOL, you remember when people here supported the Francis deal and thought it could pan out? I'm a fan and all, but have some common sense jeez. Thats like expecting a team of Arenas and Iverson with a buch of scrubs to walk righ through the finals and win it all. Hell, Denver is medicore now with Iverson, they could of been much better with Andre Miller, who's an excellent pass first PG. Anyone noticed how well Philly played when Iverson left town, and Iggy emerged as the franchise player? All they need is a franchise PF, and they'll be set for years in the Alantic.

  14. #14
    Superstar ShairanXIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    501
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    Yep.

    Hell, Denver is medicore now with Iverson, they could of been much better with Andre Miller, who's an excellent pass first PG. Anyone noticed how well Philly played when Iverson left town, and Iggy emerged as the franchise player? All they need is a franchise PF, and they'll be set for years in the Alantic.
    it's all about chemistry and maturity... iverson matured by the time he got to denver and was willing to subjugate his scoring to melo... with AI gone... korver... iggy... delambert... willie green... hunter... were able to play more loose without fear of upsetting the superstar... BUT yeah... the francis trade is the one that made me start calling for IT's head... that and the j rose deal...

  15. #15
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by ShairanXIII
    it's all about chemistry and maturity... iverson matured by the time he got to denver and was willing to subjugate his scoring to melo... with AI gone... korver... iggy... delambert... willie green... hunter... were able to play more loose without fear of upsetting the superstar... BUT yeah... the francis trade is the one that made me start calling for IT's head... that and the j rose deal...
    Agreed, which is why we don't need guys like AI and Francis(even though AI is a million times better). Lets give the responsibility to Collins, Lee, Balkman, etc... the future of this FRANCHISE

Similar Threads

  1. knicks winning without contribution from francis
    By theknicks3 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Dec 28, 2006, 12:30
  2. Knicks Draft: Media Feedback
    By Die Dolan Die in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul 01, 2006, 06:04
  3. newspaper article request
    By NY all day BABY in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec 28, 2004, 13:04
  4. 11 Names on the Knicks Wanted List
    By keyindabox in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: May 06, 2004, 23:25
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr 11, 2004, 02:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •