was Curry worth it

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
The heading speaks for itself

We gave so many draft picks away from him. Has he achieved what we gave for him including Tyrus Thomas who is going to be a very good player.

FameMos

Benchwarmer
It's a positive and a negative (More positive). Positive: Youth, most dominating inside scorer in the NBA, and LOTS OF UPSIDE if he plays hard (could avg 30pts, 10rebs @ the least if he puts his size 2 use, 5ast wit all those double teams lol and 1.5blks @ 6'11-7'0) Negative:Lazy, only cares about the offensive columns in his stats, bad free throw shooter but should improve and is a bit soft. Plus, if he's serious about his 12-15ft jump shot and he starts workin on that???? Man

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
hell yeah it was worth it, there arent much dominant centers in the NBA plus what's the difference between renaldo balkman and tyrus thomas???

Allen

Benchwarmer
My feeling is the Knicks gave up too much for Curry. He didn't do anything during all those years in Chicago and now he's doing nothing with the Knicks. Scott Skiles is right Curry doesn't deserve to be put on a pedestal that we have him on.

Curry is lucky to be in the east because after Wallace and Shaq and to a certain degree Ilgausus,the rest of the centers are either not ready to step up or they just plain suck. Now if Curry was in the west he would be eaten alive by the likes of Yao, Camby, Duncan and Amre Stoudemire. Compared to them Curry is average at best.

paris401

Starter
My feeling is the Knicks gave up too much for Curry. He didn't do anything during all those years in Chicago and now he's doing nothing with the Knicks. Scott Skiles is right Curry doesn't deserve to be put on a pedestal that we have him on.

Curry is lucky to be in the east because after Wallace and Shaq and to a certain degree Ilgausus,the rest of the centers are either not ready to step up or they just plain suck. Now if Curry was in the west he would be eaten alive by the likes of Yao, Camby, Duncan and Amre Stoudemire. Compared to them Curry is average at best.

good point (s)...

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player

BAD POINTS... Listen, the fact of the matter is, Curry is one of the most dominant center in the league, and soon will be the most dominant. Skiles didn't know how to coach him coming straight out of high school and all. We gave up 2 picks, but one of those picks (Tyrus Thomas) as stated earlier will be equal at best to Balkman. And since the knicks didn't lose the lottery, this pick isn't that much of a killer either. There is no one that knicks could have drafted with the picks they gave up that would have equaled what Curry wil become and is now for that matter. Eddie Curry average to the players mentioned, I doubt it, The only thing Curry is missing from his game is a defensive mindset, and as Coach Van Gundy use to always say, that can be teached as long as they are willing to learn (Look at Larry Johnson) ... so all we gotta do is Jeff back in here, BANG we good to go :)

metrocard

Legend
BAD POINTS... Listen, the fact of the matter is, Curry is one of the most dominant center in the league, and soon will be the most dominant. Skiles didn't know how to coach him coming straight out of high school and all. We gave up 2 picks, but one of those picks (Tyrus Thomas) as stated earlier will be equal at best to Balkman. And since the knicks didn't lose the lottery, this pick isn't that much of a killer either. There is no one that knicks could have drafted with the picks they gave up that would have equaled what Curry wil become and is now for that matter. Eddie Curry average to the players mentioned, I doubt it, The only thing Curry is missing from his game is a defensive mindset, and as Coach Van Gundy use to always say, that can be teached as long as they are willing to learn (Look at Larry Johnson) ... so all we gotta do is Jeff back in here, BANG we good to go :)

There were good points, no need to bash other posters like that.

Curry isn't a dominant player, period. Curry can score very well in the post, but he also comits alot of mistakes in the post, which removes him from the title as "most dominant post player in the NBA". I'm talking about turnovers, forcing plays that aren't there, and ignoring his teammates. These mistakes lead to our offense being predictable and easy to defend.

Curry would be a dominant player if he found his teammates more, and didn't force everything just to average under 20 points a game, and still rank tops in the NBA in turnovers.

We never gave up Tyrus Thomas for Eddy Curry. We gave away the number two pick, who happend to be LaMarcus Aldrige, one of the brightest young big men in the NBA today. Bulls then traded that pick for Tyrus

I like the Van Gundy idea though...but we'll need an assistant coach who's a genius on offense, because Van Gundy isn't the brightest offensive coach out there.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
There were good points, no need to bash other posters like that.

Curry isn't a dominant player, period. Curry can score very well in the post, but he also comits alot of mistakes in the post, which removes him from the title as "most dominant post player in the NBA". I'm talking about turnovers, forcing plays that aren't there, and ignoring his teammates. These mistakes lead to our offense being predictable and easy to defend.

Curry would be a dominant player if he found his teammates more, and didn't force everything just to average under 20 points a game, and still rank tops in the NBA in turnovers.

We never gave up Tyrus Thomas for Eddy Curry. We gave away the number two pick, who happend to be LaMarcus Aldrige, one of the brightest young big men in the NBA today. Bulls then traded that pick for Tyrus

I like the Van Gundy idea though...but we'll need an assistant coach who's a genius on offense, because Van Gundy isn't the brightest offensive coach out there.

we got the better end of the deal... bar none... i've been re-examining the curry trader lately... chicago got expiring contracts and the number 2 and 9 draft picks in consecutive years... the bulls overpaid for ben wallace and are now further away from the title than they would have been if they kept curry and chandler... scott skiles is a player killer (see: jason kidd, kevin johnson, tyson chandler)... we got Curry and the number 23 pick who could very well be this williams kid from BC... or Roy Hibbert... or someone else who IT is already eyeballing to become a major contributor... i rather be in the position we're in now than the bulls' position... the current bulls are a stop-gap team... their run will be over in 2 - 3 years when they realize they can't win without a scoring center unless michael jeffrey jordan is your 2 guard... i would have still lottery protected the picks though...

as for van gundy... i would rather bring STAN in to coach us... but he's a long shot since he likes orlando... otherwise i say give herb the shot since jeff has always been an average head coach (average meaning take teams to the playoffs), but is consistently outcoached in the playoffs (see: hou/dal 2005, hou/uta 2007)... and before anyone mentions the 99 playoffs... remember that camby wouldn't have gotten burn unless ewing got injured... and without camby we wouldn't have gotten to the finals...

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
You're right...this is a no brainer...initially when the trade went down I didn't like it because I thought sweetney and curry was almost equal so adding tim thomas and draft picks was excessive but even though I still think the extra pieces were excessive, the trade is still in our favor. The bulls didn't go to the playoffs because of the Curry trade so for people who compare both team's status are invalid. If we didn't trade for curry we would have potentially picked Aldridge...why would we pick him again? He's almost exactly like Frye but he can't stay healthy...I think I would much rather have Curry. Curry definitely has more upside and even when Curry makes a very large stride (a stride no one thought would happen last year) people make new areas to knock on his game. Just be glad that we have a potential post weapon in the future instead of complaining of his faults. He hasn't touched his prime yet... And I'm starting to see the impact of Isiah's trades. Most of his moves weren't "impact now" moves...these moves were moves that were going to impact us for the future. Crawford, Curry and our draft picks from the last 2-3 years are pawns for our future franchise. This is not a win now team obviously, but I do expect wins in the near future...

paris401

Starter
.[/B] And I'm starting to see the impact of Isiah's trades. Most of his moves weren't "impact now" moves...these moves were moves that were going to impact us for the future. ...

i agree... in 2-3-4 years i think stevie franchise will come into his own... same for burger-king james.. in 3 years when he is in his walk year, he will be a monster, and as for jefferies... well let's just say i would'nt trade him for kobe or lebron... he is that good...

metrocard

Legend
i agree... in 2-3-4 years i think stevie franchise will come into his own... same for burger-king james.. in 3 years when he is in his walk year, he will be a monster, and as for jefferies... well let's just say i would'nt trade him for kobe or lebron... he is that good...

looooooooooooooooooool

The 1 and Only

Rotation player

I laughed so hard after reading this post...wow you're almost as funny as eddie murphy, the only difference is he's not ignorant such as the ignorant duo. Let's break this one down since you like to crack on posts...Stevie Franchise ahhh the franchise...was it Isiah's idea to bring him in? No it was Larry Brown's evil scheme to get rid of Stephon Marbury. Jerome James...burger-king James...dag your really know your fast food restaurants LOL but did Isiah trade for Jerome James? Nope, he signed him to a bogus contract that had nothing to do with a trade...so maybe the 1 and Only has already realized that this move was a bonehead move...why do you have to bash posts and be annoying all the time? This is your conscious. Oh yes...Jared Jeffries...did we trade for him? I think you already no this answer my ignorant child...what I mean by trades...I'm talking about trading Kurt Thomas for Q-Rich and Nate Robinson, the Curry trade, and the marbury trade. But some did backfire on us...trading KVH was a failure. But you must realize that he's building the team for the future instead of a team that's supposed to win now. Listen to what you and tweedle dum are complaining about....oh eddy curry turns the ball over too much, oh Jamal Crawford shoots stupid shots, oh Channing Frye doesn't rebound the ball...these are all young mistakes you are talking about. Vets don't make these mistakes...or should I say most vets. So before you think about cracking on somebody post...listen to your conscience...it shall set you free my child LOL

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
You're right...this is a no brainer...initially when the trade went down I didn't like it because I thought sweetney and curry was almost equal so adding tim thomas and draft picks was excessive but even though I still think the extra pieces were excessive, the trade is still in our favor. The bulls didn't go to the playoffs because of the Curry trade so for people who compare both team's status are invalid. If we didn't trade for curry we would have potentially picked Aldridge...why would we pick him again? He's almost exactly like Frye but he can't stay healthy...I think I would much rather have Curry. Curry definitely has more upside and even when Curry makes a very large stride (a stride no one thought would happen last year) people make new areas to knock on his game. Just be glad that we have a potential post weapon in the future instead of complaining of his faults. He hasn't touched his prime yet... And I'm starting to see the impact of Isiah's trades. Most of his moves weren't "impact now" moves...these moves were moves that were going to impact us for the future. Crawford, Curry and our draft picks from the last 2-3 years are pawns for our future franchise. This is not a win now team obviously, but I do expect wins in the near future...

let's not forget trading Nazr Muhammed for Malik Rose/DLee... and balkman was one of denver's draft picks as well... but while it pays to be optimistic... we can't ignore the 1000 pound eliphant that is IT sign and trade failures... at least this year he has maintained that they are not going to spend the mid level exception... why can't we hire jerry west again? maybe all we need is someone to temper IT's hand...

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Tru tru tru...I forgot about that deals for the pick for David Lee and Balkman. And yes...Isiah has made some bonehead signs but we were in need of a Center at that time...this was before the Curry trade. I think Kevin Willis could do a better job than Jerome James in my opinion. I've always like willis even though he could be a grandfather lol. I would have never given a contract player that has never played at a high intensity except for the Kings series that previous year that much money. And I think Isiah realizes now that his signing for the big lazy was pretty foolish

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
yeah we were desperate for a center... but this was also during IT's anything scott can do i can do better phase... and layden tried to sign JJ the first time his contract was up in 01 (but got outbid by the sonics)... i think IT signed JJ to prove that he was a better gm than layden and that backfired... thank god he got curry so quick...

I'm kinda in the middle on this one....I love Curry I defeinetly see why IT made the trade for him. What it all boils down to is this, if Curry can become a better rebounder, shot blocker, and passer he's probably the best center in the East and we "won" so to speak. But the picks that Bulls aquired from this trade will make them a good team for years to come, we also have provided them w/ cap room to sighn a superstar whenever they want. And listen I'm as big a Balkman fan as anyone, I'm so happy he proved his doubters wrong, but lets poll all the GM's in the league and ask them who they would rather have Balkman or Tyrus Thomas and 90% will say Tyrus, again I love Balkman, but he's about as good as he's gonna be in this league, and Tyrus has the potential to be as good as Kenyon Martin was in New Jersey. IT's ability to draft has soften the impact of losing our picks but there is no way that we can say that we are better off w/ out those picks, it's safe to say if we had the 2nd pick in the draft last year Isiah would not have used it on Balkman. To wrap it up, if the Knicks had made the playoffs this year, the Knicks got the better of this trade, if the Bulls landed Durant or Oden then the Bulls got the better end, but a number 2 pick and a number 9 and cap room for Curry, Balkman, and the 23rd pick this year, I'd say it's just about even....don't you think

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
Did the Knicks get the better end of the deal? Yes. I believe so and here's why:

Eddy Curry

Last year if the Bulls had still gave up Tyson Chandler and kept Curry, they'd probably beat Detroit. Slide Wallace to the PF position, with Eddy at the 5 and you definetly have the low post scoring threat that they so sorely lacked. As well, you take a run at the title with Big Ben's defense and rebounding while Tyrus Thomas learns how to navigate the NBA waters. 3yrs from now you're still a threat with Curry, Thomas, Deng, Gordon and Hinrich. And the run continues with you starting five intact for four years. Just a thought. By the way, does anyone here really care what Scott Skiles really has to say? Did anyone think he was gonna talk up Curry's or Chandler's development when he ran them both out of town? Notice how they both had break out years as soon as they left his so called tutelage?

Renaldo Balkman

The position the Knicks need help at the most I believe are SF and PF. Now we have people on the team, who could easily fill these roles if they take this off season to develop. Balkman is a wash for talent with Tyrus Thomas. Balkman is a better on ball defender than Thomas, and a much better ball handler. So if he develops a jumper with his abilty to go to the basket he'd have the makings of an injury free Larry Johnson. Explosive post presence, if the shot develops, the abilty to pull up and stretch the D.

Frye and Lee

Both these guys have high ceilings for what they can achieve. The just need to work hard. However, I like the fact they're young and coachable. as well, that they aren't KVH or Tim Thomas two 6'10 guys that are sometimes impossible to find on a basketball court. KVH was so useless he is no longer in the league (no he's not on Dallas anymore) and Tim Thomas won't be sited again till he needs his final contract.

The Bulls will soon be over the cap. They have to resign Deng, Gordon, Nocioni, Duhon. By the way only three teams will be under the cap (Projected at 55 to $57.5). They are as follows:

Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago*, Milwaukee*, Orlando, Sacramento*, Seattle* and Toronto* (* Depicts teams that do not have a full roster under contract for 2007/2008 season)

Ultimately did we win getting Eddy? Yes, cause now we have a plan.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Did the Knicks get the better end of the deal? Yes. I believe so and here's why:

Eddy Curry

Last year if the Bulls had still gave up Tyson Chandler and kept Curry, they'd probably beat Detroit. Slide Wallace to the PF position, with Eddy at the 5 and you definetly have the low post scoring threat that they so sorely lacked. As well, you take a run at the title with Big Ben's defense and rebounding while Tyrus Thomas learns how to navigate the NBA waters. 3yrs from now you're still a threat with Curry, Thomas, Deng, Gordon and Hinrich. And the run continues with you starting five intact for four years. Just a thought. By the way, does anyone here really care what Scott Skiles really has to say? Did anyone think he was gonna talk up Curry's or Chandler's development when he ran them both out of town? Notice how they both had break out years as soon as they left his so called tutelage?

Renaldo Balkman

The position the Knicks need help at the most I believe are SF and PF. Now we have people on the team, who could easily fill these roles if they take this off season to develop. Balkman is a wash for talent with Tyrus Thomas. Balkman is a better on ball defender than Thomas, and a much better ball handler. So if he develops a jumper with his abilty to go to the basket he'd have the makings of an injury free Larry Johnson. Explosive post presence, if the shot develops, the abilty to pull up and stretch the D.

Frye and Lee

Both these guys have high ceilings for what they can achieve. The just need to work hard. However, I like the fact they're young and coachable. as well, that they aren't KVH or Tim Thomas two 6'10 guys that are sometimes impossible to find on a basketball court. KVH was so useless he is no longer in the league (no he's not on Dallas anymore) and Tim Thomas won't be sited again till he needs his final contract.

The Bulls will soon be over the cap. They have to resign Deng, Gordon, Nocioni, Duhon. By the way only three teams will be under the cap (Projected at 55 to $57.5). They are as follows:

Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago*, Milwaukee*, Orlando, Sacramento*, Seattle* and Toronto* (* Depicts teams that do not have a full roster under contract for 2007/2008 season)

Ultimately did we win getting Eddy? Yes, cause now we have a plan.

yessir... exactly... except the bulls wouldn't have Tyrus Thomas if they still kept Curry... otherwise you're dead on...

paris401

Starter
I laughed so hard after reading this post...wow you're almost as funny as eddie murphy, the only difference is he's not ignorant such as the ignorant duo. Let's break this one down since you like to crack on posts...Stevie Franchise ahhh the franchise...was it Isiah's idea to bring him in? No it was Larry Brown's evil scheme to get rid of Stephon Marbury. Jerome James...burger-king James...dag your really know your fast food restaurants LOL but did Isiah trade for Jerome James? Nope, he signed him to a bogus contract that had nothing to do with a trade...so maybe the 1 and Only has already realized that this move was a bonehead move...why do you have to bash posts and be annoying all the time? This is your conscious. Oh yes...Jared Jeffries...did we trade for him? I think you already no this answer my ignorant child...what I mean by trades...I'm talking about trading Kurt Thomas for Q-Rich and Nate Robinson, the Curry trade, and the marbury trade. But some did backfire on us...trading KVH was a failure. But you must realize that he's building the team for the future instead of a team that's supposed to win now. Listen to what you and tweedle dum are complaining about....oh eddy curry turns the ball over too much, oh Jamal Crawford shoots stupid shots, oh Channing Frye doesn't rebound the ball...these are all young mistakes you are talking about. Vets don't make these mistakes...or should I say most vets. So before you think about cracking on somebody post...listen to your conscience...it shall set you free my child LOL

my 'attempt' at humor... if i offended... i apologize...