Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kobe wants to be traded

Go 1990s New York Knicks! nyKnicks126's Avatar

I heard Kobe is backing down and saying that he didn't mean it that way, and will stay with the Lakers. I bet that the GM of the Lakers offered him somekind of bonus to stay with the team and back from what he had.

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

Kobe is a BITCH!

yup, cash is change ur mind quick

Nope, the trade talk is very much alive - but it is being kept under wraps.
    After talking to Buss, Phil and Magic - kobe still said he wants to be traded.
    MOST LIKELY DESTINATION: THE NY KNICKS!

Here's an EPSN chat with Chris Sheridan:

Phil (Chicago): Kobe isn't going anywhere, is he?

Chris Sheridan: (1:10 PM ET ) I disagree. I think he's getting traded, and I think the Knicks or Bulls are going to get him. There's going to be a colling off period here whether KB24 likes it or not because Jerry Buss is heading off to China on vacation, but I think Kobe is outtathere when it's all said and done.

Jon: Your Kobe destination list is pretty short. Why NY or Chicago? What will either team have to give up to get him? Also, I understand that Chicago has "all the pieces" to make a deal, but they don't need a guard.....

Chris Sheridan: (1:23 PM ET ) Kobe has a no-trade clause, which essentially means he can veto a trade to any destination he does not find desirable. So if he goes in there and officially demands a trade, he can also dictate to them which teams he'd accept a trade to. I don't see him going to any small-market team, and I don't see the Lakers trading him anywhere in the West. So you narrow the list down to major-market teams that are close to being championship contenders, and you get the Bulls and Knicks. (Philly wouldn't be close enough to championship level with what it would take for them _ Iguodala and Andre Miller for starters _ to get Kobe. Maybe Boston could get him for Pierce, but it'd be a huge reach to say that would make the Celtics an elite team in the East. so again, you come back to the Bulls and Knicks, and then it would be a question of which guy is more desperate to to whatever it takes to get him. And that would be Isiah, not John Paxson.

Sean: (Albany NY): what could the Knicks give up to get Kobe?

Chris Sheridan: (1:26 PM ET ) It could be something like Marbury, Frye, Lee and their pick for Kobe and Radmanovic, or if the Lakers didn't want Steph you could substitute Crawford and take Vlade out of the equation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DJ (Englewood): Yeah Isiah may be desperate but isnt Marbury the most untradeable guy in the league? Kobe or no Kobe, if the Lakers have to choose between a worn down Stephon and what Chi's offering, isn't it academic?

Chris Sheridan: (1:31 PM ET ) You don't know what Chicago would be willing to offer. It wpould take three of their core guys to make the Lakers bite, and I'm not including Ben Wallace (not a rebuilding piece) or Kirk Hinrich (base-year compensation) in the list of core guys who might be in any Bulls offer. You you'd basically be talking about a deal that would have Gordon and Tyrus Thomas and/or Deng in it, along with Nocioni (who would have to be sign-and-traded) to even get close to matching salaries. Would there be enogh left on the team to compete for a championship if they had to lump all that together to get Kobe? I think not, which is another reason why I'd take the Knicks over the Bulls as a likelier destination if and when a Kobe deal goes down.

John (Los Angeles): Chris, I don't why you think New York only has to give up role players in Frye and Lee; and a cap killer in Stephon Marbury for Kobe. While you are saying Chicago has to give up their three of their core young talent. Wouldn't the Lakers be better off with a choice of two from Gordon, Thomas, and Deng than if they took Frye and Lee. And nobody wants Marbury. Your New York trade scenerio doesn't make any sense.

Chris Sheridan: (1:50 PM ET ) If the Knicks had to bid against 28 other teams, the offer would be substandard. But again, if this thing goes forward, they're only going to be bidding against the other teams on Kobe's short list. That'll make a huge difference. And remember, the Knicks have a lot of other young, semi-attractive pieses they could sweeten a deal with (Renaldo Balkman, Nate robinson, Randolph Morris, next year's No. 1 pick).

Pat (D.C.): The Bulls could resign P.J. Brown to a one year deal to make up the cap difference if the Bulls only gave up two core players.

Chris Sheridan: (1:54 PM ET ) If you do a sign-and-trade, it has to be a three-year dea. That's why Nocioni, not P.J., would be the main sign-and-trade piece.

CL: Chris, is there something you're hearing other than what Kobe presented via his various radio interviews that makes you think he's going to be traded or is it a hunch? The last we heard from him, Kobe vehemently stated he wanted to stay with the LAKERS and was hoping they could work something out. Wouldn't it be far more likely that the LAKERS make a move to satisfy him? Moving the best player in the game wouldn't make too much sense and they really don't HAVE to trade him if they don't want to (Kobe wouldn't hold out).

Chris Sheridan: (1:58 PM ET ) The last thing Kobe said publicly and definitively was to Mike Bresnahan of the LA Times, and that was on Wednesday night when he said he still wanted to be traded. Go to his Web site, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], and read what he wrote that night about "a new road ahead." Now that's not the only piece of information I'm basing my throries on, because I'm pretty well-sourced. But if you read that entry, and you go back and listen to the tapes of Kobe talking out of both sides of his mouth all over the airwaves, and you factor in stuff I'm hearing about how this breakup has been building a lot stronger and for a lot more time than people realize, you'll start to come over to my side of the table on this one.

Go 1990s New York Knicks! nyKnicks126's Avatar

There are now differences between rumors and actual happenings. The trade is dead. Lakers announced nothing, and Kobe took back what he said.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    "Okay, so this has been all over the place in the past 24 hours. Let’s run down the sequence of events:

1) ESPN’s Ric Bucher says that Kobe Bryant will demand a trade if Jerry West isn’t rehired as the Lakers’ general manager.

2) Kobe says that’s not so to the LA Times. (The trade request part, not the Jerry West part.)

3) ESPN’s Steven A Smith, on Monday’s NBA Shootaround, says he’s talked to Kobe and Bucher was telling the truth. Kobe will demand a trade.

Now the latest - Kobe has typed up his own statement for release on his website. A portion is below.

I have NOT asked to be traded, I don’t want to be traded and I have given no ultimatums or demands of being traded.

I love it here in LA, my family loves it here. I’ve been a laker fan my whole life. A REAL Laker fan! I’m talkin Silk Wilks days, and know the history of the Lakers going back to George Mikan era. I WANT to retire a Laker and contend for titles.

It is my opinion that Mr Clutch, one of the greatest GMs the game has ever seen would b able to get us to back to that level sooner rather than later. If he is available, then it makes sense to give him the reigns and let him do what he does BEST. I KNOW I can trust him to build us an elite team.

Since there are typos in there, you know it’s real. It’s also in a section called “The Truth”, so it’s even like labelled clearly as not being “The Lie”. Not only that, but it’s next to a huge picture of Kobe’s head.

What can we learn from this?

Basically, that ESPN is trying to spice up both their NBA Playoff coverage and their summer trade rumor thingies. You know that Kobe’s name will officially be in play for rumored trades by guys like Sam Smith and Jay Mariotti (who’s already on it) no matter what now.

It remains to be seen how ESPN will refute Kobe’s insistance that they’re lying, but there’s no doubt they shall find a way."

"Kobe talks to Phil, backs off trade request
    Lakers star changes tune hours after saying he wanted to be dealt"
    ((Updated: 3:27 p.m. ET May 31, 2007 on msnbc.com))

Originally Posted by nyKnicks126
    There are now differences between rumors and actual happenings. The trade is dead. Lakers announced nothing, and Kobe took back what he said.

"Okay, so this has been all over the place in the past 24 hours. Let’s run down the sequence of events:

1) ESPN’s Ric Bucher says that Kobe Bryant will demand a trade if Jerry West isn’t rehired as the Lakers’ general manager.

2) Kobe says that’s not so to the LA Times. (The trade request part, not the Jerry West part.)

3) ESPN’s Steven A Smith, on Monday’s NBA Shootaround, says he’s talked to Kobe and Bucher was telling the truth. Kobe will demand a trade.

Now the latest - Kobe has typed up his own statement for release on his website. A portion is below.

I have NOT asked to be traded, I don’t want to be traded and I have given no ultimatums or demands of being traded.

I love it here in LA, my family loves it here. I’ve been a laker fan my whole life. A REAL Laker fan! I’m talkin Silk Wilks days, and know the history of the Lakers going back to George Mikan era. I WANT to retire a Laker and contend for titles.

It is my opinion that Mr Clutch, one of the greatest GMs the game has ever seen would b able to get us to back to that level sooner rather than later. If he is available, then it makes sense to give him the reigns and let him do what he does BEST. I KNOW I can trust him to build us an elite team.

Since there are typos in there, you know it’s real. It’s also in a section called “The Truth”, so it’s even like labelled clearly as not being “The Lie”. Not only that, but it’s next to a huge picture of Kobe’s head.

What can we learn from this?

Basically, that ESPN is trying to spice up both their NBA Playoff coverage and their summer trade rumor thingies. You know that Kobe’s name will officially be in play for rumored trades by guys like Sam Smith and Jay Mariotti (who’s already on it) no matter what now.

It remains to be seen how ESPN will refute Kobe’s insistance that they’re lying, but there’s no doubt they shall find a way."

"Kobe talks to Phil, backs off trade request
    Lakers star changes tune hours after saying he wanted to be dealt"
    ((Updated: 3:27 p.m. ET May 31, 2007 on msnbc.com))
    but it is just as likely that the lakers told kobe to chill so they can get value from the deal... i still suspect they would want cap relief and would take malik, steph, frye/lee and balkman... kobe is basically in control of the situation... a no trade clause and an opt out clause in two years... kobe's a smart guy... he realizes this and is setting up his move to ny... first loud and clear... now quietly... i don't think he's losing his mind... i think he's frustrated and wants out before his two years are up... now the lakers asked him to chill so they can make it happen...

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by The 1 and Only
    Lebron vs. Kobe....dag we all knew it was going to comedown to this one day.

Overall Kobe is a more dominant player...since he is probably the only player in the league that can constantly pull up and fadeaway from double teams 15-20 feet from the basket and knock them down everytime. The only weak spot on kobe is that he doesn't know when to pass the ball and defensive minded coaches know this. This is why he's always putting up big numbers because coaches are allowing him to get his 50 and not allowing him to get his teammates involved offensively. No one in NBA history can win a ring by himself...Jordan was the closest but even he had help. So until Kobe has faith in his teammates, he won't win another ring.

Lebron...after that performance last night I think half the country jumped back on the bandwagon. Lebron is a freakish athlete that has talent only God can give him. He's the type of player that comes every 25 years. Now, everyone wants to say that lebron is the best player in the league but he has so many faults and holes in his game that he should be considered in the top 5 just because of his athleticism. There is no doubt he will become the best player in the league. He has all the attributes to become the true "King" of the league. But his jumpshot and his decision making is still costing him games at times. Such as times he should penetrate but instead passes it or shoots a fadeaway jumper from 20 feet when we all know his jumpshot is suspect at times. There is no one on detroit that can stop lebron from getting to the basket...NO ONE. And he is starting to know this and that is why he was getting to the basket at will at the end of the game. If Detroit had Ben Wallace then they would stand a chance but now that Lebron knows he has detroit against the ropes and he can get to the basket at will...Detroit's odds aren't good.
    1.Duncan
    2.Kobe
    3.Lebron
    4.Nash
    5.Nowitski

I see Kobe dominant at scoring, but as a player, Lebron is the best all around.

As overall players

1. Duncan
    2. Lebron
    3. KG(why is everyone forgetting about the Big Ticket?)
    4. Kobe
    5. Nash

As overall value

1. Duncan
    2. Lebron
    3. Nash

Originally Posted by metrocard
    I see Kobe dominant at scoring, but as a player, Lebron is the best all around.

As overall players

1. Duncan
    2. Lebron
    3. KG(why is everyone forgetting about the Big Ticket?)
    4. Kobe
    5. Nash

As overall value

1. Duncan
    2. Lebron
    3. Nash
    You right you right...after what Lebron has done this playoffs and the impact of his presence on the floor...you gotta put Lebron over Kobe. But no one hasn't forgot about the big ticket. He just can't win. And it's not all his fault. He has probably the worst GM tactic-wise to build a team around a superstar. McHale has surrounded KG with mediocre talent. The young talents he drafted aren't too bad but that roster in general is garbage. KG can only do so much. And it was another mistake to put KG below Dirk. Dirk doesn't deserve to be over KG.

Gods of the Game
    1.Duncan
    2.Lebron
    3.Kobe
    4.Jason Kidd

But if we're going on pure talent

1.Duncan
    2.Lebron
    3.Kobe
    4.KG
    5.AI

Originally Posted by The 1 and Only
    You right you right...after what Lebron has done this playoffs and the impact of his presence on the floor...you gotta put Lebron over Kobe. But no one hasn't forgot about the big ticket. He just can't win. And it's not all his fault. He has probably the worst GM tactic-wise to build a team around a superstar. McHale has surrounded KG with mediocre talent. The young talents he drafted aren't too bad but that roster in general is garbage. KG can only do so much. And it was another mistake to put KG below Dirk. Dirk doesn't deserve to be over KG.

Gods of the Game
    1.Duncan
    2.Lebron
    3.Kobe
    4.Jason Kidd

But if we're going on pure talent

1.Duncan
    2.Lebron
    3.Kobe
    4.KG
    5.AI
    taking nothing away from bron... been down since the High School Diaries era (real heads recognize)... but he did play injury depleted washington and jersey without kristic... the only real threat he played was DET... and he dismantled them... but the cavs were clearly the better team in the series (and yes, i thought that going in to the series)... Lebron is a better rebounder, passer and leader than Kobe... he also has good anticipation on defense so he can play the passing lanes... Kobe is a better shooter, on the ball defender and overall scorer... so it's still close for me... KG ranks down with Dirk cuz he can't finish games off...

Best in the game...

1. Duncan
    2. Kobe/Lebron
    3. J Kidd
    4. Garnett
    5. Nash

technically this is a top six... but i agree with you that Lebron is launching before our eyes (against DET at least)... the real test is how well the team does against SA...

we get Kobe after 2008-2009

It's simple as the EAST is garbage.
    Any one man team can make it to the finals here.
    If Kobe's Lakers was an eastern conference team - they would make it deep into the playoffs.

LeBron is good, but the east is not.
    I am sure this is exactly what is going through Kobe's head.
    If he plays for an eastern conference team with a bunch of role players - he has a much better chance of getting somewhere than playing in the West.

Kobe said he's all about winning.
    So if he came to the weakest NBA division aka The Atlantic and played for the knicks, we would easily be #1 in our division and that would guarantee a #3 spot in the playoffs - playing the weaker #6 seed. - the chances are much easier here.

Originally Posted by Trin_Starr
    If Kobe's Lakers was an eastern conference team - they would make it deep into the playoffs.

If he plays for an eastern conference team with a bunch of role players - he has a much better chance of getting somewhere than playing in the West.

So if he came to the weakest NBA division aka The Atlantic and played for the knicks, we would easily be #1 in our division and that would guarantee a #3 spot in the playoffs - playing the weaker #6 seed. - the chances are much easier here.
    Niiiiiice. It makes perfect sense. Great job on your part sir.

here are some Kobe to NY trade scenarios

Originally Posted by Trin_Starr

plus... he only has to play Pho/SA/Den/UTA/GS in the finals... you can beat a great team one series usually... but it's rough to get through the west man... notice that 2 of the last 3 champs have been eastern teams...