Thread: [NY POST] Knicks, Nets Could Be In Byars` Market

Default [NY POST] Knicks, Nets Could Be In Byars` Market

Nets and Knicks brass sat among each other yesterday, watching Vanderbilt shooting guard Derrick Byars. But it will be the Nets with first crack at Byars on NBA Draft night, June 28.

Because of the shorter window for individual workouts, and because the cross-river rivals pick in a similar range of the first round, the Nets and Knicks are holding pre-draft workouts together in unprecedented fashion. The Nets select 17th, the Knicks 23rd. Yesterday was the first date teams were allowed to work out players.

Byars, who led the unsung Commodores to the NCAA tournament Sweet 16 before a controversial last-second loss to Georgetown, has been projected as a mid-first-round pick who may not reach No. 23. Byars, (6 feet, 7 inches) is not considered a great outside shooter, something Isiah Thomas has said the Knicks need.
    More: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

NY Times: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

I'd prefer Rudy Fernandez as the back up SG.

I like Williams out of B.C., I think we have the coaching staff to make him into a significant player in this league

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Williams is overrated. I hope Affalo, Byars, Williams, Fernandez or Splitter fall to the Knicks.

1. Almond
    2. Sean Williams
    3. Daquean Cook
    4. Marcus Williams
    5. Trade

Any other player would be "iffy". These 4 players could step right in the NBA and contribute immediately without any lag on their play. We need a shooter to keep double teams off of curry so this is why we need Almond. He has an NBA ready body and can contribute now. This is also a more realistic list since these 4 players will probably be available at our pick...

Originally Posted by The 1 and Only
    1. Almond
    2. Sean Williams
    3. Daquean Cook
    4. Marcus Williams
    5. Trade

Any other player would be "iffy". These 4 players could step right in the NBA and contribute immediately without any lag on their play. We need a shooter to keep double teams off of curry so this is why we need Almond. He has an NBA ready body and can contribute now. This is also a more realistic list since these 4 players will probably be available at our pick...
    dont be surprised if its no anybody of those guys, and please to all knick fans, dont boo isiah if the person he drafts is somebody dat u never heard of, isiah knows wat he is doing when it comes to drafting

I completely agree with you. Isiah knows his prospects.

One of the reasons for my name is Isiah's drafting abitily. I also read today that Isiah isn't that hot for the kid from BC. Maybe he's just trying to keep the league guessing? I really don't know college talent, I thought that Donyell Marshall would be a better player than Grant Hill when they came out. But from what I read Williams can really play on both sides of the ball it's just that whole weed thing that everyone is leary of. But I've heard good things about the kid from Rice too.....that reminds me, I looked up David Lee's Draft profile when he was coming into the league, and the experts said that he was not a very good rebounder, and the worst case scenerio on him was that he would be another Chris Anderson, and at best Drew Gooden. Also they noted how well he and Eddy Curry looked playing together in the McDonalds All American game. Just thought that was interesting considering that 1 he's probably one of the best rebounders in the league, and 2 he eventually would end up being a teamate of Curry

IT did say the other day that he didn't expect whoever he drafted to crack the rotation next season since he considers morris his first draft selection... he is willing to draft someone that we can wait on for two years... i also read that teams have been scared to draft splitter because of his complicated buyout situation... it's now down to 500 k and IT can allow him to keep playing in brazil in the process... but i would expect someone else to take him... i think almond or Swilliams would suit our needs best...

Superstar

If its Almond or Williams, either way the knicks will still have to make a trade... eventually. If Williams is as good as they say, and comes in with a defensive mindset and blocks shots and grabs rebounds, Frye and Lee are on the books until 2009/10 season, having 3 PF's who can play is not going to work. If its Almond, and he turns out to be as good as they say, of course Nate and maybe Craw may have to look for a new address.
    My personal choice would be Sean Williams. I truly see him as having the potential of being another Marcus Camby if coached correctly, **** even if he's another Theo Ratcliff that would be great (minus the injuries) and because of the knicks poor perimeter defense they can afford to play upa little more with a monster shot blocker filling the lane..

Originally Posted by lilman_bklyn
    If its Almond or Williams, either way the knicks will still have to make a trade... eventually. If Williams is as good as they say, and comes in with a defensive mindset and blocks shots and grabs rebounds, Frye and Lee are on the books until 2009/10 season, having 3 PF's who can play is not going to work. If its Almond, and he turns out to be as good as they say, of course Nate and maybe Craw may have to look for a new address.
    My personal choice would be Sean Williams. I truly see him as having the potential of being another Marcus Camby if coached correctly, **** even if he's another Theo Ratcliff that would be great (minus the injuries) and because of the knicks poor perimeter defense they can afford to play upa little more with a monster shot blocker filling the lane..
    there's no such thing as too many options...