Worst Ratings Ever.

Starks

Starter
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2007/news/story?id=2902227

Soprano's can't take all the blame for this. Despite all the other stuff going on with the league, I think its become clear that the biggest single issue in the NBA is ratings.

We are not only in a dark era for the Knicks, but the NBA as a whole. Personally, I rather watch paint dry than the Spurs, no matter how good they are. And secondly, the Phoenix rape still left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

How many of you guys are watching? or a better question would be, How many games do you guys actually watch that don't feature the Knicks?

For those that don't- ask yourselves why not, and then I think we'll be able to uncover the real reason this league is fading from the public eye.

I think the best way to get fans back is to loosen up on the rules. I want 94 back! (Mid 90's hip hop included)

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I don't think ratings are low because of the rules. The ratings are low because there is a lack of superstar leadership in the league. In the golden years of the NBA great teams had great superstar players like Michael Jordan, Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and so on. Now that is not the case. The best teams in the league don't have the star power. Star power = ratings. Now picture Dallas vs Lakers in the western conference finals. That would be a high rated even. But the Jazz vs the Spurs? Yawn! Now we see a team that has an all-star player and that team is the Cavs and they are getting the shit kicked out of them. That's not what people want to see.

20 is a CROOK

Benchwarmer
What the NBA needs to do is to stop this dumb eastern/western conference stuff. They need to format like the mlb/nfl and have to conferences compiling of teams from the east west and central. (someone on ESPN insider already posted this so I am not claiming this as my idea). It would be relatively easy to do and would make the finals much more interesting. Many people said it has been "just a trend" that the West is far superior to the East, however year after year the west continues to dominate and the longer it goes on the more it proves it is not just a trend that will even itself out.

Since MJ retired in 1998 only 2 eastern conference teams have won the championship, the heat and the pistons. (many will say if it was not for some shaky officiating the heat would not have won). During that time the West has dominated the east and the EC representative had no chance, some examples are the Knicks in 1999 (sorry to bring it up), sixers in 01, both times the Nets where there and now the Cavs (they look like they have no shot of even winning a game).

Changing the format of the NBA would make for better conference finals and better NBA finals. All the good teams in the west would not play each other in the early rounds and all the bad EC teams would not take up and EC finals spot.

metrocard

Legend
What the NBA needs to do is to stop this dumb eastern/western conference stuff. They need to format like the mlb/nfl and have to conferences compiling of teams from the east west and central. (someone on ESPN insider already posted this so I am not claiming this as my idea). It would be relatively easy to do and would make the finals much more interesting. Many people said it has been "just a trend" that the West is far superior to the East, however year after year the west continues to dominate and the longer it goes on the more it proves it is not just a trend that will even itself out.

Since MJ retired in 1998 only 2 eastern conference teams have won the championship, the heat and the pistons. (many will say if it was not for some shaky officiating the heat would not have won). During that time the West has dominated the east and the EC representative had no chance, some examples are the Knicks in 1999 (sorry to bring it up), sixers in 01, both times the Nets where there and now the Cavs (they look like they have no shot of even winning a game).

Changing the format of the NBA would make for better conference finals and better NBA finals. All the good teams in the west would not play each other in the early rounds and all the bad EC teams would not take up and EC finals spot.

Sounds good.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
it's just a function of the spurs man... everytime the spurs are in the finals... there is a national ratings fiasco... and every year it gets worse... 99 had more viewers than 03... 03 had more viewers than 05... 05 had more viewers than 07... the spurs are just too vanilla and too much better than the rest of the league to be interesting... remember... the heat and mavs drew very high ratings last season...

i think a shake-up to the structure would be interesting... but not necessary... western dominance started when eastern teams wanted to compete with the bulls and shipped all the big men out west for guards... now the pendulum is swinging again... slowly but surely... i think the cavs would have been more competitive against the mavs, suns, jazz or any other western team... the spurs are in a different class altogether...