Why does evryone think Randolph Dosent Fit??

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
The media is claiming that Curry and Randolph are basically the same player...I disagree..

Randolph rebounds way better than Curry and has a solid midrange game. He can face up to the basket and penetrate from either block. He also has a decent 3 point shot and is a lefty.

So he can also score with his back to the basket like curry and yes they both cant block a shot..other than that they are diffenrent players and will compliment eachother.

I envision Curry drwaing the double and kicking it to Randolph for the midrange...if they dont double Curry its pretty much automatic 2 points.

(Having two players who average more than 10 rebounds a game is also a plus (Lee, Randolph))

Well thats my take on the Knicks current roster..I think Isiah has another big trade in the works without moving any of our newly formed core.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
I think people are worried about defense, speed, turnovers, and the middle being clogged up since they both like the low post and Steph likes to drive.

It's up to Isiah to work out an offensive scheme and get the players to execute well.

However, if the stories about Randolph's defense being bad are true (I haven't seen enough of him), then I do think the Knicks are going to have some serious defense and turnover issues even if the offensive scheme works. Unfortunately, if was defense and turnovers that cost us most of those close games last year.

Either Curry/Randolph are going to have to learn how to catch/pass better and play some defense or the Knicks are still going to have some problems.

We should keep in mind that a lot of other teams got better also!!!!

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i mean remember last season that the interior defense wasnt that bad, last season the real problem was the 3 point shooting the knicks allowed and anyway the knicks gave away frye, its not like the knicks defense got worst

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
The thing is that since zach plays in portland, he doenst get much coverage and when these "experts" - analyts and commentators that almost know nothing about basketball say hes a low post scorer like curry, everyone thinks its a written on conctrete.
Zachs offensive game has very few holes, he can do jus about anything any PF can do to be effective.
I expect him to do very well this year and show fans how the PF position is played. At least on the offensive end anyway

metrocard

Legend
The only simple problem I see, if we do acquire Artest.

Marbury(1st/2nd option mentality)
Crawford(1st option mentality)
Artest(1st/2nd option mentality)
Randolph/1st option mentality
Curry(1st option mentality)

My suggestion?

Don't over feed Curry.

All we need from Curry is 15-17 ppg. We need 7 rebs and a blk. Average defense AT LEAST. Thats good enough to get Curry in an all star game and contribute much more than he did last season.

We don't need 23 ppg from Randolph also. I'll be happy with 19 ppg on 50% FG. I don't want a low FG% from Randolph, bad shots lead to bad defense.

Artest and Marbury, 15 each. They can play the 2nd option role easily.

Crawford is my problem. He has to jack up a lot of shots to score. If we give up Artest without giving up Q-Rich, I would put Q-Rich at the 2, and let him be our spot up shooter.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
even without artest i think that metnality thing is going to be a factor... but IT made steph buy into his system last season... and i doubt he'll have trouble convincing zbo of the same... zbo and curry are gonna reduce the turnovers their averages would suggest, since you can't afford to throw two big bodies at either of them with the threat of another point monster looming on the other block... if these guys can learn to pass and cut quickly... this could be a thing of beauty... hopefully... crawford plays the more subdued game he played during the win streak and the weeks before the contract extension... penetrating and dishing to curry/randolph instead of dribbling out the shotclock...

metrocard

Legend
even without artest i think that metnality thing is going to be a factor... but IT made steph buy into his system last season... and i doubt he'll have trouble convincing zbo of the same... zbo and curry are gonna reduce the turnovers their averages would suggest, since you can't afford to throw two big bodies at either of them with the threat of another point monster looming on the other block... if these guys can learn to pass and cut quickly... this could be a thing of beauty... hopefully... crawford plays the more subdued game he played during the win streak and the weeks before the contract extension... penetrating and dishing to curry/randolph instead of dribbling out the shotclock...

AGREED, Isiah is definately better than Brown to get players to buy into his system and be loyal to them. I expect Marbury to be a pass first PG this season and average 15ppg 8-9 assist.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
now we got dikau backing him up too... we got a nice point guard rotation if we ship nate out in a package for a shot blocker/3...

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
(Having two players who average more than 10 rebounds a game is also a plus (Lee, Randolph))

barring foul trouble i doubt youll ever see randolph and lee playing together. i think between them they can average 10+ rebounds from the pf position and if curry can get 5-7 and our sf can get 3-6 well be in pretty good shape on the boards.

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
well see how morris develops but if/when curry gets into foul trouble we can play randolph and lee together....thats not a bad frontcourt late in the game depending on matchups.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
I think I will have to revise my previous statement from another thread, I said I would start off all my post with Fuck Zach Randolph!, but that would be wrong. It's wrong because the guy is a real good player, I just don't like the trade. So, the new begining to my post will be... "Fuck the Zach Randolph trade"

Ok, now with that being said, As you can see from a few of the post in this thread, most of the people think Zach will fit quite nicely. I on the other hand do not think so because I disagree with your assessment that they are not the same player (he and curry). Yes, randolph has a decent stroke from mid-range and cant hit a 3 on occassion, but the fact remains that Randolph is most effective in the blocks. Now please don't think I think Randolph is a bum, far from it. I think right now, he actually could be a better offensive player than Curry. So here is where I find fault with the trade. Isiah proclaimed that Curry is the main focul point of the offense. How does Isiah's words hold any truth if you get a player in Randolph, who has similiar or even better skills offensively than Curry. THis is the first time Curry's career that he has been told and shown that he is the main man on a team. Unless they end up trading Randolph, Curry has a chance of regressing because of Randolph. The other reasons of why Randolph doesn't fit in my opinion is because the trade does not address a NEED. We still don't have a shot blocker or proven outside threat...

Ah i'm done talkin about Zach Randolph

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I think I will have to revise my previous statement from another thread, I said I would start off all my post with Fuck Zach Randolph!, but that would be wrong. It's wrong because the guy is a real good player, I just don't like the trade. So, the new begining to my post will be... "Fuck the Zach Randolph trade"

Ok, now with that being said, As you can see from a few of the post in this thread, most of the people think Zach will fit quite nicely. I on the other hand do not think so because I disagree with your assessment that they are not the same player (he and curry). Yes, randolph has a decent stroke from mid-range and cant hit a 3 on occassion, but the fact remains that Randolph is most effective in the blocks. Now please don't think I think Randolph is a bum, far from it. I think right now, he actually could be a better offensive player than Curry. So here is where I find fault with the trade. Isiah proclaimed that Curry is the main focul point of the offense. How does Isiah's words hold any truth if you get a player in Randolph, who has similiar or even better skills offensively than Curry. THis is the first time Curry's career that he has been told and shown that he is the main man on a team. Unless they end up trading Randolph, Curry has a chance of regressing because of Randolph. The other reasons of why Randolph doesn't fit in my opinion is because the trade does not address a NEED. We still don't have a shot blocker or proven outside threat...

I say Curry is the expendable one of the two. Randolph puts up better numbers, has killer instict which Curry lacks(probably his biggest problem) and is way more versitile. There ages are close enough that we could build around Randolph just like Curry. I would actually welcome a trade of Curry not for chemistry reasons but for a lack of toughness.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
I say Curry is the expendable one of the two. Randolph puts up better numbers, has killer instict which Curry lacks(probably his biggest problem) and is way more versitile. There ages are close enough that we could build around Randolph just like Curry. I would actually welcome a trade of Curry not for chemistry reasons but for a lack of toughness.

"Fuck the Zach Randolph trade"
And this just brings to light my reasons why this is a bad trade. The fact of the matter is, Isiah told anyone who would listen that the basically the knicks and eddy curry are one. If he trades Curry now, his word is shit to the fans and to the players who believe in him. Also, he can't trade him, at least not now, because of the fact they gave 2 lottery picks away for him.
So now, Curry is stuck on a team with a player who is better than him offensively and Curry has a chance to regress instead of progress this season. There will be controversy aver who should get the ball in the post it's just a terrible fit for many reasons.

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer

Doesnt address a need? Becuase frye was such a good PF right? him and his 5.5 rebs a game?
Our entire team is stacked at every position, does that mean that we shouldnt make improvements?
This team needed an upgrade at PF and SF. PF has been addressed, now Isiah is looking into bringing artest.
Those are our needs, Isiah isnt preaching some crazy defense, jus a solid one, no second chances, no easy buckets, no open threes. you can have a good D without blocking shots.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
And this just brings to light my reasons why this is a bad trade. The fact of the matter is, Isiah told anyone who would listen that the basically the knicks and eddy curry are one. If he trades Curry now, his word is shit to the fans and to the players who believe in him. Also, he can't trade him, at least not now, because of the fact they gave 2 lottery picks away for him.
So now, Curry is stuck on a team with a player who is better than him offensively and Curry has a chance to regress instead of progress this season. There will be controversy aver who should get the ball in the post it's just a terrible fit for many reasons.

You only get rid of Curry if it somehow means a Kobe caliber player. In that case no one will fault Isiah including Curry. Basketball is a business and if they can get #24 in the garden selling tickets and jerseys Curry will be a long forgetten soft big man who had potential.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
Doesnt address a need? Becuase frye was such a good PF right? him and his 5.5 rebs a game?
Our entire team is stacked at every position, does that mean that we shouldnt make improvements?
This team needed an upgrade at PF and SF. PF has been addressed, now Isiah is looking into bringing artest.
Those are our needs, Isiah isnt preaching some crazy defense, jus a solid one, no second chances, no easy buckets, no open threes. you can have a good D without blocking shots.

Because Frye would have become such a good PF, but that's not even the point. I don't mind trading future talent if we could get a NEED. If curry wasnt already on the team, I would be praising this trade. You say this is an Upgrade at PF but you are lying to yourself. The fact of the matter is, the knicks were not in desperate need for a PF who could score 20 odd points per game and grab 10 rebounds. The knicks have Lee who can grab rebounds and have marbury crawford and curry who can drop 20 any given night, the Knicks NEEDED a proven outside threat. The Knicks needed an intimidator in the lane. You said a team doesnt have to block shots to be good defensively, so are you really telling me that the Knicks right now are good defensively by adding Randolph??? Isiah needs to start addressing the NEEDS of this team now, they have more than enough young players now.

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
HTML:
 You say this is an Upgrade at PF but you are lying to yourself. The fact of the matter is, the knicks were not in desperate need for a PF who could score 20 odd points per game and grab 10 rebounds.

How could anyone say that adding Randolph is not an upgrade? Whenever the Knicks played the Blazers, did we not have to worry about Randolph killing us out there? I don't think the Blazers were coming up with a defensive scheme for Frye. Not to take anything away from Frye, but he IS NOT Randolph. Randolph commands double teams and that will open up some space for Curry to do his thing and vice versa for Randolph. Crawford, Q and Marbury can create their own shots. I'm pretty sure we'll be a bit better rebounding the ball next season.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
HTML:
 You say this is an Upgrade at PF but you are lying to yourself. The fact of the matter is, the knicks were not in desperate need for a PF who could score 20 odd points per game and grab 10 rebounds.

How could anyone say that adding Randolph is not an upgrade? Whenever the Knicks played the Blazers, did we not have to worry about Randolph killing us out there? I don't think the Blazers were coming up with a defensive scheme for Frye. Not to take anything away from Frye, but he IS NOT Randolph. Randolph commands double teams and that will open up some space for Curry to do his thing and vice versa for Randolph. Crawford, Q and Marbury can create their own shots. I'm pretty sure we'll be a bit better rebounding the ball next season.

I should have said this is not an upgrade to the team. Yes if you want to go by who is better right now, then yes of course Zach Randolph is better than Frye. But the point I meant to make is that adding Randolph does not upgrade the team. I have stated this b4 and will do so again... two post players on the same team of similiar talent and abilities have never lead their team to anything.. the only exceptions were David Robinson and Duncan and Sampson and Akeem (which were pointed out to me in another thread).. and the difference between those two tandems is that all 4 were great at blocking shots which meant their teams had great defense.
The trade was good in that the knicks got a lot for little. but because it's not addressing any need the Knicks had, i do not see how it upgrades the team..