Lee for Artest: I really put alot of thought into it

nyk_nyk

All Star
theres no way we give up lee....sacramento is over a barrel when it comes to artest. hes already said he is opting out....which means they have him for 1 year max. they WANT to get rid of him, and most GMs know this....lee is far too high a price when you have someone against a wall.

thats like knocking a gun out of a muggers hand, and then throwing him 50 bucks....makes no sense.

artest said he wants to come here....so if at worst we wait a year and then bring him in...who does this hurt? nobody. he is then a year older, but so what. hes not on the wrong side of 30.....

isiah should be steadfast and ready to hold onto his chips for the long haul....if he gives in and gives up an above avg player in return for artest it will be a sin. sending jefferies over there along with malik rose (if that money evens out) should be more than enough for sac. they have ZERO leverage.
I agree with Kowie, Sac is up against the wall with Artest. The only team probably willing to put up with him is NYK. Plus, we already know that he wants to be here so his opt out clause means nothing to us. This is his home.

I do think it will take more than Jeffries and Rose to get the deal done. JEffries had a bad season so his stock has fallen. Rose is solid, but not enough that adding Jeffries will seal the deal. Perhaps throw Nate in the mix and it could happen. The better those guys do in the Summer league the better our chances of holding on to Lee.

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
Giving up Lee for Artest would be a mistake. We should give balkman more playing time to see if he can take the next step like lee did in his 2nd year. If balkman turns out to be a younger artest, then there is no need for him. If he doesnt, we can just sign artest next year.
Its been known he wants to come here, so why give up a walking double double off the bench when we can get him for nothing in return.
Unless Q is 100% i think RB should start, he has more explosiveness than JJ, and more potential.
It may be a good idea to just go into the season with what we have and maybe put pressure on sac to trade him by the deadline, they know he's gonna be gone when the year ends, so theyll be looking for young talent in return.

Great Thread ! I'm completley torn on this ! I mean I agree to some extent w/ everyone's opinion. Look both players have bright futures in this league, but if we land Artest one of them has to be apart of the package, just for PT purposes, beacuse like it was said in one of the previous post, we can land him for table scraps. But who do we let go? No doubt Lee has made a name for himself and the safe move is to let Balkman go, but I like D Lee too much to see him playing only 20 minutes a game when he's capable of 30 plus, and regardless of what Isiah says, his minutes will suffer from the Randolph acqusition. However as stated before Balkman is more of a perimeter defender than a low post, but is a better shot blocker than Lee, and if he adds about 15 pounds of muscle, than I think he can defend the post. Lee is the better free throw shooter and now that we have Zach and Eddy racking up fouls against opposing teams free throws are more important now than ever. But also it was stated how much Balkman and Artest would be a compliment, which is true, if we land Artest than Balkman and Artest on the floor together is murder for the opposing team. But w/ Zach out we insert Lee and have not lost any leverage on the boards. Look at the end of the day, Ron wants to be in New York and Sac wants him out, the ball is in our court so let's make them stress over this not us, worst case scenerio we don't land him, we keep them both, and Q is our starting 3, and we wait to see if Ron ops out and we trade him for what's in Dolan's checking account. But think about it we have a more offensive minded Oakley, and a more offensive minded Rodman on the same squad ! Kudos to Zeke for getting them both But who do we let go?

J-Starks

Rookie
Considering we just acquired Randolph, i think that makes Lee expendable for for a proven Small Forward. The only negative is Artest can at times be a headcase. From a talent standpoint ,it's definitely a upgrade.

C Curry
PF Randolph
SF Artest
SG Crawford
PF Marbury

I like the potential of that team. That could potentially be a 50 win team and top 3 seed in the East.

timnakhla

Rookie
Bottom line, I think the knicks NEED to get Artest no matter who they give up. The good news is, we have options (from best to worst). Also keep in mind that we're 2 players over the 15 players limit.

option 1: wait for 7 more weeks (2 mths rule) and package Fred Jones (3.3mm)/Dan D (2.8mm) & Nates 1.2mm) expiring contracts totaling 7.3mm for Artest (7.8mm)

option 2: Rose + Jared + Dan D + Nate for Artest + Kenny's bad contract (Salaries do match) - i actually like this .

option 3: David lee (1.00mm) + Jared J (5.6mm) or Jerome (5.8mm) for Artest (7.8mm) - still within the 25%

option 4: Rose near expiring contract (7.1mm) + either balkman or lee (1.0mm) for Artest (7.8mm)

there are still more scenarios out there, but I'm getting tired here...just bring the damn guy to NY

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
I agree Balkman IF he gets his minutes, he will be like Lee or better then Lee. Lee and Balkman we should KEEP. I want them both on the team they are young and talented. and we got Balkman @ 20th pick, Lee 30th. These guys are the future. and we already traded away Frye....

FameMos

Benchwarmer
option 2: Rose + Jared + Dan D + Nate for Artest + Kenny's bad contract (Salaries do match) - i actually like this .

I also like this option....Just wish we didn't have 2 give up Dickau. He'd be the PERFECT backup 4 this Knicks team. Not only does he distribute the rock, but he can also be that shooter we need when teams decide 2 double the post.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
Lee will comeback next season with a nice 15ft. j. He will be a 83-85pct ft shooter. He'll be a better defender and will avg 12pts 11.5rebs and 1stl in 30mins with a 60-62fg pct. off the bench....Can't complain w/ that

"Fuck the Zach Randolph Trade"
I'm glad you are able to see into the future... how bout you hook me up with the lotto numbers while you are at it.

KOWIE

Rookie
i like balkman too, but if i have to choose btwn him and lee, im going with lee. i need a good white guy (who is american) on the knicks god damnit!!!!!!

in all seriousness though, all this RB 'speculation' is nuts. saying "hes gonna be..." is crazy. lee is a proven commodity.

Kiyaman

Legend
I say wait until Artest ops out next season because NY will be at the top of his list of teams to play for.

In todays New York Post they had this strange article about if the Knicks want Ron Artest they would have to give up David Lee. Sports writers with nothing better to write a couple of days before the Knicks Summer League starts. Throwing all kinds of Knick trade rumors up in the air.

Let me throw this up in the air for all Knick-Fans, when it comes to Logic along with Common-Sense after watching the Performance of David Lee, Balkman, and Collins, it spells these three players should be Knicks for the next seven (7) years (No more to be said).

What will Lee, Balkman, and Collins bring to the table on this team?
Try Horry, Rick Fox, and Ron Harper (Championship Starters).
Try Rambis, Cooper, and Scott (Championship Starters).
They are extraordinary Role-Players.

NEWS-Flash!
The Knicks just added two 6.8 players in this past draft in Chandler and Nichols. Both are SF!
6.11 Jefferies can only play SF.
6.6 Fred Jones can only play SF.
6.6 Q.Richardson can only play SF.

How many PF does the Knicks have on their Roster?
6.10 Rookie Randolph Morris
6.9 David Lee (Plays all three positions well, should be a Starter).
6.10 Zack Randolph (can he play with Curry?).

How many Centers on the Knick Roster?
7.0 Jerome James (should let him collect 4 fouls per game).
6.11 Eddy Curry (the most he should average is 28 MPG).

ALL NBA Fans should know that Curry, Zack, and Marbury, are just Halfcourt-Offensive-Players, and can not keep up with any running transition teams in the NBA. Their Defense is nonexistence against a transition team.

L xx NYK

Rookie
Keep lee

Why we gotta give up Lee. Artest will sign with us in 2008 lets just wait. Yo im telling you Lee is LIke Oakley He got that Heart and Hustle that can help solidify this squad 2-3 yrs the Titles ours Watch. this yr in the East we gonna be the 3-4 seed and be playoff bound. I think Curry and Zach is going to be great and can't wait.

L up in sec 420 light that up........

Kiyaman

Legend
Keep David Lee

Why we gotta give up Lee. Artest will sign with us in 2008 lets just wait. Yo im telling you Lee is LIke Oakley He got that Heart and Hustle that can help solidify this squad 2-3 yrs the Titles ours Watch. this yr in the East we gonna be the 3-4 seed and be playoff bound. I think Curry and Zach is going to be great and can't wait.

L up in sec 420 light that up........

I am down with the KEEP David Lee campaign.
Lee should be a Knick for the next 6 years.
Chicago just resigned Nocioni for 5 more years and this is what the Knicks must do to David Lee next offseason.
However, David Lee ability to play well performances at all three positions SF, PF, and Center as a second season player puts him way above players like Oakley and other good PF in the NBA. Plus he is young and showing improvement after improvement for his growth in the NBA.
The Best thing that I can say about David Lee is the Knicks should've Started him all 82 games alongside of Eddy Curry and they would've WON way more games than just 33...

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
I am down with the KEEP David Lee campaign.
Lee should be a Knick for the next 6 years.
Chicago just resigned Nocioni for 5 more years and this is what the Knicks must do to David Lee next offseason.
However, David Lee ability to play well performances at all three positions SF, PF, and Center as a second season player puts him way above players like Oakley and other good PF in the NBA. Plus he is young and showing improvement after improvement for his growth in the NBA.
The Best thing that I can say about David Lee is the Knicks should've Started him all 82 games alongside of Eddy Curry and they would've WON way more games than just 33...

Exactly,if Isiah trades Lee then that would tell me that he does'nt want to turn this team into a contender and start winning again.Im still confused why anybody on this board would want to trade Lee,Baukman for a no good for nothing trouble maker like Artest.Artest is nothing but a cancer and would single handedly destroy the NY Knicks.Now if thats what some of you really want then you must love watching the Knicks stink up the place every year.All im trying to say is look at the team we have now!!! This team is young and is ready to make a run in to the playoffs.We don't need Artest b/c our team is set with nothing but YOUNG talent that will be here for a long long time wearing a Knicks uniform.

FameMos

Benchwarmer
10 Reasons why we CANT Trade Lee

The reasons why we shouldn't trade Lee are

1. He wants 2 stay a Knick
2. He plays hard
3. He is only player (IMO) if traded, we would regret 4 yrs
4. Fan Fav.
5. Will be the player Frye was pose 2 be
6. Cares about the Franchise (Only Knick @ the Draft, radio interviews on what he thinks we need 2 do 2 win)
7. Willing 2 play on the bench when he could ask 2 be traded (knowing he could start on damn there ne teams roster)
8. Has the potential 2 be a 18pt 20reb(LITERALLY) guy if he avg. 40+ min a game (If he develops a 15ft j...which I know he will)
9. Very Coachable
10. Not a disruption in the locker room

And there's more reasons but yall see where i'm commin from

Blumatic

Rotation player
D Lee must stay. He is a character guy among a bunch of guys who tend to stray to the dark side. You must look past Lee great performances on the court. Lee has the Knicks players utmost respect. He playes hard, he doesn't complain he knows his role, he intelligent and the Garden loves him. When players on the team see the Garden cheer for Lee every time he gets on the court other players will see that a good guy who just plays hard and the right way can be "THE MAN" and that is what Lee is. Artest is none of those. Artest is not any of the aforementioned charateristics of Lee. Artest, yea we would get a very good defensive player but come on Artest can explode, he already wrecked some MSG network equipment when he played at MSG. Lee is the glue of this team, Artest will divide it.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Im going to give you my take and you will probably not like it.

Trading away David Lee just to get artest would probably rank up there as one of the worst trades in knick history.Lee made a monsterous leap from his rookie year to last year with his outstanding play on and off the court.Lee is going to keep getting better and better year after year and he would imo be one of the center pieces for the Knicks for years to come and he is a team player and he has a great additude.Now for Artest,sure he is a very talented player that can play great defense BUT the man has MAJOR problems.He is no team player,his personality sucks along with his additude and he is a major problem when he does'nt get his way.He is a major pain were ever he goes and destroys every franchise that he plays for.Now metrocard is that what you really want?? are you willing to throw a very young player thats going to be a BEAST in the NBA away for a me me me kind of player like Artest.Artest is a punk and I don't want him in a Knicks uniform.

metrocard,I can't make you change your mind but I really hope that you read what I have written and think about it b/c trading away lee for Artest would be a monsterous mistake.

I agree 100% with you! I would not trade Lee for Artest I would trade any of the other your guys though. I think Artest could be gotten for Balkman, Chandler and an expiring contract. I also think Sacramento would be stupid NOT to make that trade. First of all, Artest isn't exactly heralded by the other GM's in the league; his antics, distractions and lack of enthusiasm has made him a tough player to trade. With all his talent he is an extreme risk (more than Zach) and that really is a shame. Maybe Isiah can real him in and refocus him but it is a crap shoot so why give up a player who has a great work ethic, is a nice guy and not a trouble maker. If you are to move Lee than you need to make a deal for a player that is the next level over Artest; like Garnett (if the Knicks have enough pieces to add in with Lee). I think Lee is expendable if the Knicks can keep Balkman, so if you have to include Lee to get that final piece than so be it; I just don't think Artest and what he brings is that final piece. Artest is a player that brings the Knicks closer to what they want to achieve but is not the end all. I would have a different opinion if the Knicks had some veterans that could act as leaders and role models, but they don't.