Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 102

Thread: *Official Summer League Thread*

  1. #16
    Member IcEWaTEr123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    287
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    i hope Demetrius Nichols plays well cuz i want him to make the team...

  2. #17
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    PRO BASKETBALL

    LAS VEGAS | As Ali Berdiel walks down Las Vegas Boulevard, he looks at all of the scenery around him, shakes his head and continues back to the tranquility of his hotel room.

    It is in his room at the Wynn Hotel & Casino that Berdiel can concentrate on the task at hand: impressing the New York Knicks during his stint as a member of their summer league team. Twenty-one NBA teams are participating in the offseason league, which began play on Friday.

    "The good thing is that I don't like to gamble," Berdiel said. "Last night I went to bed at midnight, I'm just very focused right now."

    The Andrean graduate brought some of his friends from Puerto Rico with him to Vegas, but he is not spending any time with them; instead, he is hoping to capitalize on an opportunity that he originally passed on when the Knicks offered a 10-day contract in January.

    "I wasn't even thinking about the money then, but the opportunity," Berdiel said. "I wasn't fully prepared like I wanted to be, but now I am."

    During the past six months, Berdiel has displayed a maturity and drive that was not always present during his five-year career under the guise of Valparaiso men's basketball coach Homer Drew. The 6-foot-6 point guard often found himself injured and was forced to sit out what would've been his senior year because of plantar fasciitis.

    In his final game, Berdiel injured his wrist and was unable to compete in any draft tryouts, summer leagues or training camps.

    "It seems like every time I'm in a good spot, I always end up getting hurt," Berdiel said. "I never get too excited about the things that have happened until they actually do."

    Berdiel is not ready to call himself a member of the NBA, although he believes he can compete on the highest level. If he fails to impress the Knicks, Berdiel hopes to turn some heads of some other teams before heading to Brazil for the Pan-American games.

    "My biggest thing is to obviously make the team, if not, play well enough so other teams will invite me to their camps," Berdiel said. "It's the first step, a step to my dream, I just hope to make a team by the end of summer."

    Berdiel and the Knicks begin play on Monday night against Kevin Durant and the Seattle SuperSonics. The NBA Summer League runs through July 15.
    Wow...I hope he does well. We could use a shooter at the 2.

  3. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,300
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    I notice that alot of Knick-Fans and Members feel the Knicks should Trade Nate Robinson.
    I remember alot of people felt that same way about Charlie Ward every one of his 11 offseasons with the Knicks.

    In the Knicks Summer League games you will see another Nate Robinson then the one you seen Isiah coach. There is no 35 MPG Curry on the court with Nate. So Nate Robinson will be very impressive and affective in the running transition in the Summer League games as a Combo-Guard, especially with Balkman on the court with him.

    Nate Robinson is a great weapon off the bench for this Knick Team, if the Knicks did not play a Halfcourt offense on every offensive play (last season), then Nate Robinson could have RUN the ball up court on every offensive play for all the teammates who wanted to run with him for an easy basket.
    Watch in the Knicks Summer League games how well Nate is in the quick running game with teammates that are Trying-Out giving it there all to impress Fans, Management, and oponents (something the Knicks money veteran players dont do). But also watch how the Knicks Coach will make Nate slow down.

    Now that Zack Randolph is on this Knick Team it will become very boring watching every offensive play being slowed down to a halfcourt offense (to set up a LOW-Post move for Curry or Zack Stats).

  4. #19
    Superstar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    519
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    I notice that alot of Knick-Fans and Members feel the Knicks should Trade Nate Robinson.
    I remember alot of people felt that same way about Charlie Ward every one of his 11 offseasons with the Knicks.

    In the Knicks Summer League games you will see another Nate Robinson then the one you seen Isiah coach. There is no 35 MPG Curry on the court with Nate. So Nate Robinson will be very impressive and affective in the running transition in the Summer League games as a Combo-Guard, especially with Balkman on the court with him.

    Nate Robinson is a great weapon off the bench for this Knick Team, if the Knicks did not play a Halfcourt offense on every offensive play (last season), then Nate Robinson could have RUN the ball up court on every offensive play for all the teammates who wanted to run with him for an easy basket.
    Watch in the Knicks Summer League games how well Nate is in the quick running game with teammates that are Trying-Out giving it there all to impress Fans, Management, and oponents (something the Knicks money veteran players dont do). But also watch how the Knicks Coach will make Nate slow down.

    Now that Zack Randolph is on this Knick Team it will become very boring watching every offensive play being slowed down to a halfcourt offense (to set up a LOW-Post move for Curry or Zack Stats).
    I hope you are right and 100% on point with your assumptions on how good Nate will do. And after he does so great, TRADE HIM. I hope he's so good and so impressive that the Kings will accept him and jefferies for Artest

  5. #20
    Veteran Trin_Starr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Trumbull, CT
    Posts
    1,093
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by lilman_bklyn
    I hope you are right and 100% on point with your assumptions on how good Nate will do. And after he does so great, TRADE HIM. I hope he's so good and so impressive that the Kings will accept him and jefferies for Artest
    I agree!

    By the way - First game tonight at 10pm on MSG

  6. #21
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    LAS VEGAS - Nate Robinson said he's not really a point guard and not really a shooting guard. So what is he?

    "I consider myself a whatever-happens guard," he said yesterday.


    His place in the Knicks' rotation is as unpredictable as his game, and that's why Robinson agreed to be part of the summer league team, which begins play here against Kevin Durant and the Seattle SuperSonics tonight at Cox Pavilion on the UNLV campus.

    Robinson, who is heading into his third NBA season, won't say he feels pressure to show anything this week. But with a lot of guards on the roster in competition for playing time, Robinson's immediate future as a Knick seems to hinge on his ability to get his erratic game under control.

    His offense has never been a problem, even with inconsistent playing time. Robinson averaged 10.1 points this past season and had seven 20-plus-point games despite averaging 21.2 minutes. He shot 43 percent from the floor and 39 percent from three-point range.

    But he had only 90 assists (1.4 per game) with 72 turnovers (1.1 per game), which is a sign of his inability to control the ball and set up his teammates.

    And the part of Robinson's game that needs the most improvement? "Decision-making for me, right now," the 5-9 ball of energy said. "Not getting out of control at times."

    Then he explained why that's such a challenge: "But to me, my out-of-control is my control. It's kind of weird to juggle both at the same time."

    Isiah Thomas, who arrived Saturday night to watch the workouts and games, said he doesn't want Robinson to change his game too dramatically. But there's no doubt Robinson's erratic play drove Thomas to distraction throughout the past season.

    "He's had some growing pains within the game, but the way he's going about competing and working on his game, I like everything about him," Thomas said. "I'm not encouraging him to change too much of his game because I like what he does. I just want him to get better at it."

    Assistant coach Dave Hanners, who is running the summer league team, said Robinson needs "reps" at point guard. The summer league will provide a good opportunity for Robinson to get to know the Knicks' offensive system better. And the Knicks can get a sense of whether Robinson fits into their plans.

    "I don't think he's going to become this point guard in the summer league," Thomas said. "That's not what I'm looking for. But I do want him to continue to get better."

    Notes & quotes: Thomas said he is not pursuing any trades but is looking into any opportunities that would improve the Knicks. He also said it would have to take a major deal to include David Lee in anything. "We have no intentions of moving him," Thomas said. Right now the most intriguing option - Sacramento's Ron Artest - is believed to be on the back burner and might never come to fruition as long as the Kings insist on getting Lee in return. Artest has an opt-out after the coming season and is expected to exercise it for a bigger payday, so it is believed Thomas doesn't want to give up too much, even if adding Artest makes the Knicks a serious contender in the East.

    Ewwww.

  7. #22
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,300
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Lets say it right, Isiah Thomas does not have it all there!

    Nate Robinson, Lee, Frye, Balkman, and Crawford, are all young players that like to create and learn off their running transition talent which is their best strength in the game.
    But that could not happen on this Knick-Team last season with one dimension Half-court-offensive players Curry (35 MPG), Jefferies (30 MPG), and Marbury (35 MPG), whom dont have a clue or play a lick on a Half-Court-Defense.

    Nate Robinson could have a Bad game in everyone of these Summer League games and still be the best Guard on the court. His Strength and Talents lies in his running transition game inwhich Coach Isiah Thomas would not let him play throughout the entire 82 games for the "SAVE-FACE" purpose of creating the offense to play on the strength and talents of Marbury, Curry, and Jefferies who dont have any running game skillz in their talent. That is a Check that can be cashed in any Bank around the world...

    P.S. The new addition of Zack Randolph whom 85% of his talents is best in a halfcourt offense is another reason to ridicule this Knick team this upcomming season when the young Knick players will be forced to slow down their game for the sake of the Knick Star players who dont play a lick of Halfcourt defense and get beat on the Knicks oposition running game (inside and outside).

  8. #23
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    The bottom line is that we have 4 point guards after Steph and at least 2 of them need to go. I love Nate and the energy he brings off the bench. If you watched all the games last season, there were times when he actually made guys play harder because of his hustle. I like his decision to play in Vegas this summer. He knows that he needs to remind the coaching staff why he belongs in the rotation and I think he will impress.

    If there is one thing we all know about Nate, he's a warrior and doesn't shy away from the limelight.

  9. #24
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default




    New interviews...Nate needs a haircut, that mini afro aint cool.


    Yo, whos down for a chat tonight for the game vs the Sonics? Anyone wanna do AIM?


    BTW, can Mods sticky this thread?

    Thanks

  10. #25
    Member GiantsKnickFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Knicks Vs. Sonics
    Some of my observations of the game

    Nate as always was erratic, was looking to pass the ball more, but still would make bad decisions had turned it over too many times.
    Balkman was his usual self, flying everywhere, getting steals, running the fast break (even ran the point forward when sea went into the trap), improved his ball handling, didnt shoot from outside (which would have been nice to see him get a jumper, maybe next game).
    Defensively gaurded Durant or Green and was a pest and good defender, was very physical with durant and durant couldnt handle it, but when durant took him outside once, faked balkman out his shoes.
    Nichols is a shooter, has good moves towards the baskets, pump fake 3, drive it in, and a foul. Sometimes relied too much on his jumper but is a good catch and shooter. Needs help on D, but is long and rangy and can rebound ok.
    Chandler was very surprising, he has a good all around game. 12pts, 50 FG% 4 rebs, 2 steals, 1 block. Played durant very well in the perimeter, durant tried a cross over chandler poked it away and ran it back and knocked down a hook shot on durant the other way. Good passer, made a nice open floor pass leading balkman str8 to a dunk. Good perimeter defender, and can rebound altho may need to add jus a lil more bulk.
    Morris was ok, 10/10 was solid, not uber impressive but didnt dominate.
    The other surprise was a player named greene, didnt catch his 1st name, and funny enuff is listed as greene greene at the nba.com summer league page ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ])
    Greene played very well, SF.. who looks like a mirror image of an undersized Pat Garrity or Girichek even. Tough player, deep 3pt range, quick release, turn and shoot. D was ok, not impressive. hes def an offesive minded kid, but can def shoot.

    Thats about it, but simply the knicks kids dominated the entire sonics team, no one on that sqaud was able to do anything. Durant looked like he wanted to take over the game took it to the hole and hit a nice 3. Balkman is now back and the game and durant dissapears.
    Tom vs Yi should be fun

  11. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    171
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    NEWS FROM VEGAS

  12. #27
    Go 1990s New York Knicks! nyKnicks126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Your little links are getting old son. Anyway The Knicks won the opener and are playing tonight against the China team.

  13. #28
    Member d2319's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New York, New York City, The Bronx
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Now the Knicks must play harder against team China becuase I was watching them the other night and boy are they good shooters!

  14. #29
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,300
    Rep Power
    20

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by GiantsKnickFan
    Knicks Vs. Sonics
    Some of my observations of the game

    Nate as always was erratic, was looking to pass the ball more, but still would make bad decisions had turned it over too many times.
    Balkman was his usual self, flying everywhere, getting steals, running the fast break (even ran the point forward when sea went into the trap), improved his ball handling, didnt shoot from outside (which would have been nice to see him get a jumper, maybe next game).
    Defensively gaurded Durant or Green and was a pest and good defender, was very physical with durant and durant couldnt handle it, but when durant took him outside once, faked balkman out his shoes.
    Nichols is a shooter, has good moves towards the baskets, pump fake 3, drive it in, and a foul. Sometimes relied too much on his jumper but is a good catch and shooter. Needs help on D, but is long and rangy and can rebound ok.
    Chandler was very surprising, he has a good all around game. 12pts, 50 FG% 4 rebs, 2 steals, 1 block. Played durant very well in the perimeter, durant tried a cross over chandler poked it away and ran it back and knocked down a hook shot on durant the other way. Good passer, made a nice open floor pass leading balkman str8 to a dunk. Good perimeter defender, and can rebound altho may need to add jus a lil more bulk.
    Morris was ok, 10/10 was solid, not uber impressive but didnt dominate.
    The other surprise was a player named greene, didnt catch his 1st name, and funny enuff is listed as greene greene at the nba.com summer league page ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ])
    Greene played very well, SF.. who looks like a mirror image of an undersized Pat Garrity or Girichek even. Tough player, deep 3pt range, quick release, turn and shoot. D was ok, not impressive. hes def an offesive minded kid, but can def shoot.

    Thats about it, but simply the knicks kids dominated the entire sonics team, no one on that sqaud was able to do anything. Durant looked like he wanted to take over the game took it to the hole and hit a nice 3. Balkman is now back and the game and durant dissapears.
    Tom vs Yi should be fun
    Adding to the above:

    The Tazman Performance was so impresive on both sides of the court vs 2nd pick Durant, and his Court Awareness for his new teammates were outstanding. Who was it that said Renaldo Balkman was a 2nd Round Pick in last season draft?
    I am impressed with the Knicks young Players in their first Summer League game.
    Nate Robinson & Renaldo Balkman set the tone like a real Captain and Leader does for their new teammates. We were able to see individual performances playing TEAM-BALL. That is something BIG and different from the last two regular season performances from this Knick Team.
    C-Randolph Morris showed up offensively & defensively in the paint (I still would put him in the PF position vs NBA teams with Lee at the Center and Balkman at the SF.
    SF-Chandler could not wait to show his raw Ron Artest performance on bothsides of the court, his peremeter shooting caught everyone eyes in the first game, lets see if he could keep it up throughout the rest of the Summer League games.
    SF-Nichols played great as Nate's right hand man in the backcourt and took advantage of every easy basket that was given to him to look like the invisible man on both sides of the court. You have to LUV his peremeter-defense.
    SG-Greene was having fun and laughing alot at how Nate Robinson was so affective throughout the game when he wanted to be. Greene could be the Knicks peremeter man on both sides of the court.
    Nate & Balkman get the MVP for this game in showing all of their teammates talents, not just on offense but defense too. They actually showed there teammates what is expected in the NBA. This was showed in the 2nd half of the game when Chandler & Nichols bumbed heads with Durant on offense and defense showing they are NBA ready too. Only if Marbury, Crawford, Jefferies, Zack, and Curry could be as good a "TEAM-PLAYER" as Nate & Balkman. But they cant!!!

    P.S. I still say that when Isiah Thomas seen Chandler performance in the Knicks workouts, and Chandler refused to go to any more team workouts after that, especially Philly workout who had 3 first round picks and is in need of a 6.8 SF like him.
    Once Isiah Thomas made the 23rd selection in the draft for 6.8 Chandler, his thoughts on Ron Artest being a Knick was over.
    Next Team China, this will be where we see which Knick Player in the Summer League Games has the best Peremeter Defense (Chandler, Nichols, Greene)?

    Knick-Fans you still want Nate Robinson traded dont you? reminds me of the Knick-Fans for Charlie Ward. Nate minor mistakes in a game never cost the team a lost, but Marbury & Crawford decision making cause a team to fall apart...

  15. #30
    Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,696
    Rep Power
    12

    Nyk Logo

    Nate Robinson was benched because he was inconsistent not because of a half court offense. Robinson had a good year under Brown but the rest of the team sucked. Now the rest of the team played well and Nate was benched. If benching Nate means the Knicks will play well so be it. I like Nate but we've got way too many guards and I'd rather see Collins get his minutes.

Similar Threads

  1. What's Wrong With The League 2
    By ShairanXIII in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: Jun 19, 2007, 12:11
  2. 2006 Knick Summer League Roster!
    By d2319 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Jul 16, 2006, 08:55
  3. Summer League - Knicks vs. Bulls
    By portega1968 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jul 13, 2005, 21:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •