Artest Wants To Retire With Kings

metrocard

Legend
ESPN -
Ron Artest told the New York Post that he wants to remain with Sacramento and retire as a King. Artest's comments contradicted statements his agent made last week, indicating that his client, a Queens native who attended St. John's, wanted to return home.

"I really want to finish my career in Sacramento because of my relationship with some of the players," Artest said, according to the Post. "I want to finish with Sacramento. I feel attached to Sacramento. I want to be their franchise player."

Artest also said he was told by Kings general manager Geoff Petrie that he would not be traded, and Artest told Petrie he probably would not opt out of his contract after next season, the Post reported.

"Ron is going to be a King," Petrie said Monday, denying he has had any conversations with the Knicks' front office. "People are having conversations with themselves."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi...rt_artest_says_he_wants_to_retire_with_kings/

Heres my take on this.

What will Artest bring to our team?

Artest is a B/B+ caliber player and will upgrade our starting 5.
Artest offensively can score 15-18 ppg.
Artest is a top 1-3 perimeter/man defender.
Artest forces a lot of turnovers(Which would favor us because we usually give up alot of turnovers)
Artest is only 27.
Artest would instantly make us contenders in the Atlantic.
Artest >>>>>>> Jefferies

Heres why I'm not that worried we won't get Artest anymore.

Balkman is capable of being a starter, an excellent starter. Balkman is an insanely athletic Bruce Bowen on 20 red bulls. Same with Lee. I want to trade Randolph just to see Balkman and Lee develop as our starters for the future.

Because of my confidence in Balkman, I feel we're okay at the SF position.
But to say Artest isn't needed is really silly. He would solidfy our starting 5 and make us contenders in the East.

Artest will most likely stay with Sacramento(weird, I could see him demanding a trade into two weeks into the season).

I'm just glad we have Balkman. Chandler and Nichols look promosing too.

We just need to get rid of Randolph, Jefferies, and Crawford. Let the youngin's develop their game, so they can be more prepared and experienced in the future.

I heard Curry's fat ass in great shape too. Thats great news.

FameMos

Benchwarmer
After reading that article, I no longer want Artest here as a New York Knick. I can't stand athletes that flip flop every month it's really annoying not 2 mention kind of childish. Like Metro said tho, I'm more than confident in what we already have @ SF. But we're still gonna have 2 make a trade by oct.

Players who Have 2 Stay:
Lee
Balkman
Either ZBo or Curry (have 2 have 1 of them)
Chandler (Looks like another great draft choice by Zeke)
Nichols(we need that boy's shooting @6'8 :thumbsup: )
Marbury(we can't trade him @ this point. starting 2 play like a true PG)
Dickau(I LOVE HIM AS THE BACKUP PG 4 THIS KNICKS TEAM!!! Can disribute and shoot)

We could lose em:
Crawford
Nate
Morris(He looked pretty good @ summer league game)
Jones
Collins
ZBo or Curry
Q

Have 2 GO:
Both JJ's
Rose

pat

Starter
The knicks roster has enough talent. I don't mind that Artest might not become a Knick. What the team needs is experience and chemistry. I think the organisation should get rid of the two JJs and Dan Dickau. I guess keeping Rose wouldn't be that bad. He is a guy that can accept getting not that many minutes and still be a great influence in the locker room.

Last edited:

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
I'm glad we're not getting him... I agree with metro about Balkman's potential... he said when he came out the rodman was his idol... he reminds me of the worm everytime he's on the court... Lee's body type and energy remind me a lot of Camby... hopefully... he can develop into an excellent help defender like Camby is... qrich is also healthy, running and dunking... if q is healthy next season... we need new 3s...

I'd keep these cats for sure:
Curry - Needed a mid range shot, shot blocking, offensive awareness and rebounding. If he can show significant improvement in 2 of these 4 areas, we'll know we have a franchise player on our hands.
Steph - If he's serious about 10, 12 and 5 then he can tutor Mardy and (maybe) Nate to take his spot over the next 5 seasons
D Lee - White Camby? We can only hope.
Balkman - Rodman with dreads? Let's see it happen.
Q Rich (if 100%) - Committed to defense? Perimeter threat? Double check. If his self assessment holds true, watch out league
Nicols/Chandler - haven't seen either yet, whichever one is the better prospect unless one is versatile enough to play the 2

I'd try to get rid of JJ 13 & 20 imediately . Other than that, I wouldn't try to trade anyone unless it 1) Vastly improves our team for now and the next 5 years (No 33 year olds on the down side of their career) OR 2) We get an expiring contract in return. We need to make 2 cuts before the season begins though... so let's see what happens...

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
I really don't blame him for saying that because he does have a good thing in Sac. He hasn't been in trouble since the trade.

Me neither. You can't blame Artest for saying what he said. Balkman and Lee are great young talented players with value. Artest feels he's an all star and he should feel like that. Its understandable.

We're still solid at the SF position though, which is why I'm not worried about it.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Somehow I don't quite believe Artest when he says he wants to retire a King. This may just be a smokescreen/con job produced by Kings management to increase Artest's value.

But like you all said, I think we have some great talent on our team. We have 17 players on our roster so all we have to do is get rid of two by the end of training camp. I could see Jerome James coming in out of shape again and being cut. That leaves one left to be cut. I disagree with some of you, I think Dan Dickau should stay. He is our only "true" point guard, in that he always thinks to pass first. Malik is a good locker room guy for all of our young players, and lets face it, he has been a true gentleman since he's been here. So who else? Maybe Fred Jones? Is Cato still on our roster?

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
That response is purely politcal. He is trying to facilitate a move by being mature (unlike Kobe Bryant). He said this simply cause it's considered the right thing to say. If he sells the perception of positivity, Sacremento can try to deal him from a position of strength. They would also try to accomodate him with the trade. Good job Ron!

GetRealistic

Starter
Artest is a great player, not to mention a hometown product. But i don't think we need him. Artest is great on D and has a pretty good offensive game, but the fact of the matter is he still commands and wants 15 shots a game, and with Curry, Randolph, Crawford, and Marbury those shots won't be there. I'd rather see guys like Balkman, Lee, Chandler, and even bum ass Jefferies take those minutes. Because those players don't need shots to play well. Balkman and Lee can change the game without even taking one shot.

alrobinson6022

Benchwarmer
he backed off of those comments in the nypost today. read below...

It was no surprise that flaky Ron Artest backtracked on his declaration in The Post that he really wants to finish his career in Sacramento. In fact, Thomas predicted the flip-flop when he said of the bizarre claim, "A lot of good players have been changing their minds lately," referring to the Lakers' Kobe Bryant.

Artest, one day after saying he probably won't opt out next season, told the Sacramento Bee, "I mean I like it, but who knows? I'm not going to put myself in a position where I say, yeah, I want to stay here all the time. I trust my agent."

Artest said he is flattered by the buzz in New York.

"All the people in New York want it, it's been eight years (since I left St. John's) and it's always like, 'When's Ron coming back?' That makes me feel good," Artest told The Post.

Kings GM Geoff Petrie told Artest he won't be traded, but Artest softened that statement.

"Geoff is an honest dude. He lets you know there's a chance that things could happen, that I could be traded," Artest said.

That response is purely politcal. He is trying to facilitate a move by being mature (unlike Kobe Bryant). He said this simply cause it's considered the right thing to say. If he sells the perception of positivity, Sacremento can try to deal him from a position of strength. They would also try to accomodate him with the trade. Good job Ron!

I agree Ron probally has no intention of retiring a King, I don't really think that the Kings veiw Artest as their franchise player like he's claiming, I mean if he stays there two more seasons, I seriously doubt the Kings give him Kobe Garnett, and T-Mac money. But like everyone else I agree he would help, but I'm not going to be too upset if we don't get him. I would love to see Balkman starting, but bottom line he's a liability on offense, and with our new front court we need players who can knock down jumpers and free throws, and Balkman does neither too well. But I love him and I think he's a throw back player, not too many compete like him in any professional sport. I hope he gets in the Rookie game this year and repeats David Lee's performance.

he backed off of those comments in the nypost today. read below...

It was no surprise that flaky Ron Artest backtracked on his declaration in The Post that he really wants to finish his career in Sacramento. In fact, Thomas predicted the flip-flop when he said of the bizarre claim, "A lot of good players have been changing their minds lately," referring to the Lakers' Kobe Bryant.

Artest, one day after saying he probably won't opt out next season, told the Sacramento Bee, "I mean I like it, but who knows? I'm not going to put myself in a position where I say, yeah, I want to stay here all the time. I trust my agent."

Artest said he is flattered by the buzz in New York.

"All the people in New York want it, it's been eight years (since I left St. John's) and it's always like, 'When's Ron coming back?' That makes me feel good," Artest told The Post.

Kings GM Geoff Petrie told Artest he won't be traded, but Artest softened that statement.

"Geoff is an honest dude. He lets you know there's a chance that things could happen, that I could be traded," Artest said.

Yeah then he gets to New York and he claims that he's ok not scoring the ball and he only shooting when the post players are doubled, then he'll say he wants more touches, then he'll say "I'm at a point in my career that I just want to win", then it will be him not resighning w/ the Knicks the year after next because he wants to be go somewhere he can better used on the offensive end. Athletes today need to shut up, express a trade demand or interest in staying w/ a team to their GM, and just keep stating no comment to the media

nyk_nyk

All Star
You guys are so blind. Artest has a bad rap sheet in the leagueso why would he go on record right now and talk about wanting to leave the team he's currently under contract with? If SAC can't get a deal done then he stays there and is being cursed at by the fans for wanting to leave.

Ultimately, he knows what he wants to do at the end of this season. I wouldn't be surprised if Isaiah knows too.

Kiyaman

Legend
Everyone of you Knick-Fans who watched the first Knick Summer League Game should know why Ron Artest made the statement of retiring a Kings player.

You could start with Q.Richardson comments on himself being healthy, participating in drills, dunking the ball, and not feeling any more pain after the surgery. And while Q.Richardson were commenting on himself at the Knicks vs Sonics game, Balkman the Tazman was on the court auditioning for the Knicks Starting SF position that is unoccupied, or for 30 MPG off the bench at the SF spot. Not to mention the Knicks two SF-Rookies were doing pretty well in their audition for the future SF-spot.

I am pretty certain that President Dumars told President Isiah to call Ron Artest after this Knicks vs Sonics game and let him know that you dont have anymore interest in bringing him to New York as a Knick. And Mark Aquire whom was sitting in the stands with them agreed with President Dumars.

FameMos

Benchwarmer
Everyone of you Knick-Fans who watched the first Knick Summer League Game should know why Ron Artest made the statement of retiring a Kings player.

You could start with Q.Richardson comments on himself being healthy, participating in drills, dunking the ball, and not feeling any more pain after the surgery. And while Q.Richardson were commenting on himself at the Knicks vs Sonics game, Balkman the Tazman was on the court auditioning for the Knicks Starting SF position that is unoccupied, or for 30 MPG off the bench at the SF spot. Not to mention the Knicks two SF-Rookies were doing pretty well in their audition for the future SF-spot.

I am pretty certain that President Dumars told President Isiah to call Ron Artest after this Knicks vs Sonics game and let him know that you dont have anymore interest in bringing him to New York as a Knick. And Mark Aquire whom was sitting in the stands with them agreed with President Dumars.
Lmao...A lotta crazy shit be floating around in ya head.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
I will toot my own horn, and say this. I in a previous post last year said we should be starting Balkman. So here's my question to all you fellow Knicksonliners....WHERE ARE MY REP POINTS?????(LMOA). Besides calling that one, its good to start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, and not have it be the train! All hail Balkman!!!

IcEWaTEr123

Benchwarmer
Let Artest retire as a king their is no room on the knicks for him. He gets in alot of troube hes already suspended the first 7 games, and with balkman and lee their is no room.