Can we really win with Marbury at pt. guard?

If I recall the last time we went to the big 1 was when we had charlie ward at pt guard, granted he had a supporting cast of players that played with heart, he distributed the ball very well. Marbury on the other hand is a great player but i dont know if he has matured yet to the point where he knows what he has to do to win, this past season hes had his ups, but more downs that i noticed, i give him this last season to really show how to handle business, if he doesn't you can look forward to seeing him traded real soon.

FameMos

Benchwarmer
WTF??? What are u talking about? Marbury was just on a sports show talking about how he was gonna avg quote "10 dimes and 10 assists" I'm guessing he meant 10ppg and 10 asts. Plus he knows the offense and knows what everyone on the team can do.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Agreed about next year. But Steph's Downs were really just in November/December... his ups went from January - April.. when he started getting right... the team started winning...

Yea i do recall him sayin how hes stepping his assist game up, but this season is a must, I think the knicks expectations are set very high that if we dont see signifigant progress I can guarantee some players are gettin traded before the end of the season

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
No we cannot. Charlie Ward was a selfless player, when it stops not working out Marbury will go back to being plain ol selfish Starbury mode.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Charlie Ward was a BUM. Of course the KNicks can win with Marbury

A BUM who won a Heisman trouphy and then switched sports and had a long career. Again I will bring up the fact that NO team has won with Starbury playing the point. I say dump him and Stevie Franchise and start Nate at point with Jamal at 2 and Q at three with Balkman 1st off the bench when needed.

nyk_nyk

All Star
WTF??? What are u talking about? Marbury was just on a sports show talking about how he was gonna avg quote "10 dimes and 10 assists" I'm guessing he meant 10ppg and 10 asts. Plus he knows the offense and knows what everyone on the team can do.
Just to elaborate, on the show Marbury expressed his interest in letting Curry and Zach do their thing. He sounded like he finally understands what his role should be on an everyday basis. He is looking forward to being a well-rounded PG.

However, lets not hope he loses his scoring mentality because it always comes in handy when guys have an off night. Steph's quickness and strength ultimately benefits this team.

Andominus

Rookie
Stop hatin on steph

Again I will bring up the fact that NO team has won with Starbury playing the point. I say dump him and Stevie Franchise and start Nate at point with Jamal at 2 and Q at three with Balkman 1st off the bench when needed.
What are you talking about..."no team has won with starbury playing the point." Steph has unfortunately been on teams at the wrong time and then been supplanted by equally talented/better point guards. Most people don't talk about the Minnesota years when he reached the playoffs as a youngn. Anyway, most people's arguments about Steph's selfishness are the post-Steph years in NJ and PHX.

When Steph was on Jersey, who else did he have on his team?! Keith Van Horn and Johnny Newman? Steph would have been able to do exactly what Kidd did if Steph also had a healthy Kerry Kittles and Kenyon Martin, in addition to Van Horn.

And while he was with Phoenix, Steph almost led the Suns to a first-round upset over the Spurs, the eventual 2003 champions. He did this with a rookie Amare, who merely averaged 13p and 8rb. Granted, the next year the Suns stumbled, precipitating the Marbury trade to NY, but I think its unfair to say Marbury isn't a winner. He was at the helm of two solid playoff teams in Minnesota and Phoenix. Even with the Knicks, in the 2003-2004 season, after Marbury was acquired by the Knicks, the Knicks went 24-19 (after a horrendous start) and were awarded a 7th seed (only to be swept by the Nets). We can all agree that that Knicks team was terrible, and the only reason the Knicks had a shot at the playoffs was because of Starbury.

I hate that Marbury gets so much crap from people, especially for his former teams' successes once he leaves. If we analyze the situation closer, we see Marbury isnt the problem. Is Marbury the best point guard in the NBA? I would say probably not, but I would prefer him to anyone besides maybe Steve Nash, Arenas, and AI (AI hogs the ball but he does distribute and get a lot of assists). While Marbury's numbers have dipped the last two years, he has shown how selfless he can be on these bad Knick teams. While his averages are now 19.9 ppg and 7.9 apg, before this past season, there was only one other player to have averaged 20 ppg and 8apg over their career...Oscar Robertson. So why dont we quit hatin on Starbury

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
A BUM who won a Heisman trouphy and then switched sports and had a long career. Again I will bring up the fact that NO team has won with Starbury playing the point. I say dump him and Stevie Franchise and start Nate at point with Jamal at 2 and Q at three with Balkman 1st off the bench when needed.

Then maybe he should have stayed in football. A long career, what exactly does that mean. I can name a few bums who had long careers in the NBA. It doesn't make them less of a BUM. He never averaged 6 assist a game. or more than 9 points a game. He was a decent defender on a team full of defenders so he was a regular dude.. less than that even.. And go with Nate at the Point..C'mon now you can't be serious

Trin_Starr

Starter
Man NY has this vicious cycle of always attacking the most visible player on the team....There are the fans who wanted Ewing gone, and when he was done, then they turned their Venom to H20 and when he retired - now they turn their hate to Marbury....and if he does get traded I wonder who's next on their list?

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
What are you talking about..."no team has won with starbury playing the point." Steph has unfortunately been on teams at the wrong time and then been supplanted by equally talented/better point guards. Most people don't talk about the Minnesota years when he reached the playoffs as a youngn. Anyway, most people's arguments about Steph's selfishness are the post-Steph years in NJ and PHX.

When Steph was on Jersey, who else did he have on his team?! Keith Van Horn and Johnny Newman? Steph would have been able to do exactly what Kidd did if Steph also had a healthy Kerry Kittles and Kenyon Martin, in addition to Van Horn.

And while he was with Phoenix, Steph almost led the Suns to a first-round upset over the Spurs, the eventual 2003 champions. He did this with a rookie Amare, who merely averaged 13p and 8rb. Granted, the next year the Suns stumbled, precipitating the Marbury trade to NY, but I think its unfair to say Marbury isn't a winner. He was at the helm of two solid playoff teams in Minnesota and Phoenix. Even with the Knicks, in the 2003-2004 season, after Marbury was acquired by the Knicks, the Knicks went 24-19 (after a horrendous start) and were awarded a 7th seed (only to be swept by the Nets). We can all agree that that Knicks team was terrible, and the only reason the Knicks had a shot at the playoffs was because of Starbury.

I hate that Marbury gets so much crap from people, especially for his former teams' successes once he leaves. If we analyze the situation closer, we see Marbury isnt the problem. Is Marbury the best point guard in the NBA? I would say probably not, but I would prefer him to anyone besides maybe Steve Nash, Arenas, and AI (AI hogs the ball but he does distribute and get a lot of assists). While Marbury's numbers have dipped the last two years, he has shown how selfless he can be on these bad Knick teams. While his averages are now 19.9 ppg and 7.9 apg, before this past season, there was only one other player to have averaged 20 ppg and 8apg over their career...Oscar Robertson. So why dont we quit hatin on Starbury

Excuses, Excuses...if he was that good of a leader at the PG position he WOULD HAVE WON ALREADY. PERIOD.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player

chuuuuch... anyone who disagrees with that is probably having trouble with his boyfriend right now... which brings me to...

Excuses, Excuses...if he was that good of a leader at the PG position he WOULD HAVE WON ALREADY. PERIOD.

what do you consider winning then? winning a title? In that case, Tony Parker is your best bet at point guard. Or Derek Fisher. Winning regular season games? Then Jason Terry should be high on your list. The point is circumstances dictate failure and success in the NBA many times. Steph just happened to play on injury plagued NJ teams and Amare was hurt the year Pho traded Steph...

Charlie MADE it to the FINALS...Marbury has NOT..CASE CLOSED.

yeah... we certainly would have missed the finals without Charlie Ward... LJ... Camby... Houston... Sprewell... Ewing... they were all along for the ride... remember all the great defensive stops Charlie made against Avery Johnson? Remember all those clutch threes he hit to put San Antonio on their heels? Man... if only Charlie had some help we'd be hoisting a banner... Bring back Charlie... 6 more years... 6 more years...

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Man NY has this vicious cycle of always attacking the most visible player on the team....There are the fans who wanted Ewing gone, and when he was done, then they turned their Venom to H20 and when he retired - now they turn their hate to Marbury....and if he does get traded I wonder who's next on their list?

Eddy Curry or Zach Randolph...