Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Steph marbury..what ranking does he deserve on top PG list

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

^ Hating to the max.

Marbury has been injured the last 2-3 seasons. He will be 100% healthy this season and resurrect his career. You will be coming back to this trade and saying "You were right metrocard".

Default I acknowledge his injuries

I acknowledge his injuries, but he still hasn't played top 10 in some time. AS far as him being 100% didn't I here that before last season? fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I need to see 100% youthful marbury. He's 31, no longer a young man, little slower, little less ups, has had chronic ankle problems he hasn't overcome. His confidence at all time low. His game is all messed up from coaches. Like I said not his fault, but he still hasn't performed top 10. By your thinking damon stoudamire and cassel are still top PG, john stockton should have never retired. there comes a point when your athletic abitliy declines and younger player out perform you, but you live on your name. top 10 PG are leaders of there team, they take control, they are responsible for making their team win. Marbury, not only isn't responsible for knicks wins past 2 season, they have only won a handfull of games.
    in the last couple of seasons Jason kidd, goes to NJ, a team full of practiacally no bodies and he leads them to the playoffs every year to the finals twice. He's a top 10 hands down. He made every guy better, what did marbury do in that same time? lead knicks to an embarassing playoff apperance once?
    Steve nash, leads that team. Avg guys play like studs behind Nash. He's top 10 above marbury.
    It's not hate it's realism. he's just not performing for various reason(not all his fault). Point being John stockton had just as productive a year this past year, and he is retired. Marbury has the talent to prove me wrong, but I need to see it to belive it. He needs to Be a top 10, I'm not just going to put him there because of how he has performed before these past 2-3 seasons(in which he has been avg pg at best on a losing team). The truth is, he may not get a chance to lead this team either. If D'antoni is as dumb as Isiah and puts the ball in Crawfords hands.

anyone who watched in 06-07 should have no doubts that marbury is still top 10

Default PS

PS D'antoni the only coach out there i didn't want knicks to Hire. Just a popularity move. He won't have sucess here until he gets a guy like Nash at the point. Marbury can't play like that, no one on knicks can.

Nyk Logo did he lead team to playoffs?

Originally Posted by MSGKnickz33
    anyone who watched in 06-07 should have no doubts that marbury is still top 10
    did he lead his team to the playoffs? No. Did he create a winning atmosphere where even though his numbers weren't the best, his teamates performed above their skill level? No. Did his team overachieve or underachieve? Under big time. Was the ball in his hands at the end of games? No. Did he hit the winning shot or get the winning assist? or even be part of a play that set them up for a win? Not usually.
    I'm sure the answer is yes to some of those questions, but it wasn't a usual experience. Most times it was Crawford, taking an unassisted shot at end of game. Most times during the whole game and especially at end, it was crawford breaking down defense. Marbury was just watching. So how canyou say he's still top 10 after 2006-07? What did he do to make his team a playoff team that year? Oh wait, they didn't make playoffs they were losers. Did he help them at the end of the season? No he was out injured and injury that has lingered with him.
    Is allan houston still a top 10 SG? No, not because he's not talented, not because he doesn't play, but because he is physically not capable due to injuries. Much like MARBURY. A guy could be the best in the NBA and if he is injured he can't perform. PG jason williams(not the mIami guy, the one drafted from duke by bulls) he was a promising PG, he got injured and it affected his ability to play...like marbury. Only difference is marbury WAS an all-star and probably top 3 at one point in time. He WAS a dominating PG, Unstopable. HE's older and injury prone ankles. Last 3 seasons he's missed significant playing time, or has played injured and not to his top ability. He's chronic. he's injury prone. 2006-2007 he only missed 8 games but he played injured affecting his game.

Default Everyone who knows me on here

everyone who knows me on here, that I wanted Marbury to run the point last couple seasons, I have dozens of posts hating on Crawford and Isiah for taking the ball out of marbury's hands and giving it to crawford. I don't hate marbury, just don't think he has performed top 10 last 3 seasons. I think he's riding on his past seasons sucess. Tere comes a time in every players career when He was once the best an unstopable force and he becomes just another guy. Marbury, the Last 3 seasons has been just another guy. I wanted him to have the chance to be the all-star he used to be. The coaches and injuries prevented that, and now he's crazyier then ever before. Confidence and game is and has been off.
    Who knows if he'll even get the chance to be old marbury in D'antoni's system. HE will continue to have sub par seasons if the game is run by someone else. How can he be a top 10 PG when he isn't usually the guy handling the ball??? Larry brown wanted him to be a SG, and Isaih let crawford and robinson run point most of the time? What kind of top 10 PG doesn't run the point on his own team??? Your all crazy!!!!

Originally Posted by infamouz585
    YALLL are crazy,.. I understand parker has some rings but ****k!! so does John sally( as a matter of fact hes got a good 5 or 6 rings i believe) doesnt mean he was the greatest pf. Parker is talented but the top signifigant pg's are Jason Kidd,steve nash, because they obviously make or break a squad.. U take parker , iverson or arenas or any of those listed bums above off there team that team will more than likely have the same odds of achieving anything they planned on with they players.The prob with marbury is he is not surrounded by matured talent..this year i hope is a diff story,!
    r u kidding me? Marbury has been out performed by parker all over the place. Sure maybe marbury has gotten him head to head a couple times, but Parker plays exceptionally well. He runs the team, he scores and passes. He's not my number one guy, but he's above marbury. Part of being PG is how you Run the team, If you guys noticed marbury hasn't run this team for several seasons. Part of this teams lack of success is(beside crawford blows) they don't have a PG.

12th man

jzero29, you should acknowledge and understand Marbury is capable of playing top 5-10 PG type basketball. The last 3 years Marbury has been held back by injuries, playing with new players every month, a new coach and system every year. To assess Marbury the last 3 years is really mad ignorant. You and I know what he's capable of. Don't feed your soul to the media and follow the Marbury hatewagon.

Only Marbury's preformance in 08-09 will back up my word.

Nyk Logo

Originally Posted by metrocard
    jzero29, you should acknowledge and understand Marbury is capable of playing top 5-10 PG type basketball. The last 3 years Marbury has been held back by injuries, playing with new players every month, a new coach and system every year. To assess Marbury the last 3 years is really mad ignorant. You and I know what he's capable of. Don't feed your soul to the media and follow the Marbury hatewagon.

Only Marbury's preformance in 08-09 will back up my word.
    Metro, I have been preaching for marbury to run the point for the knicks for since LB coached. I have been for marbury. I even in recent posts I have said he should remain on the knicks team and maybe he'll have a good year. I'm not on the hate wagon, I am just not blinded by starbury. The Guy has not performed to his standards. To overlook his lack of production is mad ignorant. He Hasn't played like the top 3 point guard he was capable of playing. Penny hardaway was great, he has skill, but is he good anymore? no, because he got hurt and never fully recovered. That has been marburys thing, he's been hurt but never recovered. He may not even be cast as the leader on this team and again he won't perform like a top 10 PG, because he hasn't really played point in the past couple seasons. That role has been Crawford and robison, although they are not true PG either. There is no hate, he's just not performing like top 10 PG, for an extended period of time. Sure he can be a top 10 Pg, but so can my unborn child, will he? I don't think so. I think the injuries to his pride and body are to much to overcome and become that PG leader he once was. It's like claiming tyson is still a number 1 contender. No he was in his prime, but events in his life, lead him from that path and he has not performed the same.
    If he returns to form, he'd hands down be comeback player of the year. But his ankles, his ego/pride and his coaches all have to all work in his favor. There is no hate, i'm actually pro marbury, I wish theyd trade crawford and (z-bo or curry), draft a PG and let him back up steph. I have posted that at the end of this season. I'd like to see him have a chance. Buit odds arethe ball won't be in his hands, thus making him not a top ten PG. If you don't play PG, you can't be in top 10

12th man

Ight, you made your points. Well done. Marbury will come back strong in 08-09.

Banned

Lets be real guys, Marbury would rank somewhere in the 20s.

Originally Posted by jzero29
    did he lead his team to the playoffs? No. Did he create a winning atmosphere where even though his numbers weren't the best, his teamates performed above their skill level? No. Did his team overachieve or underachieve? Under big time. Was the ball in his hands at the end of games? No. Did he hit the winning shot or get the winning assist? or even be part of a play that set them up for a win? Not usually.
    I'm sure the answer is yes to some of those questions, but it wasn't a usual experience. Most times it was Crawford, taking an unassisted shot at end of game. Most times during the whole game and especially at end, it was crawford breaking down defense. Marbury was just watching. So how canyou say he's still top 10 after 2006-07? What did he do to make his team a playoff team that year? Oh wait, they didn't make playoffs they were losers. Did he help them at the end of the season? No he was out injured and injury that has lingered with him.
    Is allan houston still a top 10 SG? No, not because he's not talented, not because he doesn't play, but because he is physically not capable due to injuries. Much like MARBURY. A guy could be the best in the NBA and if he is injured he can't perform. PG jason williams(not the mIami guy, the one drafted from duke by bulls) he was a promising PG, he got injured and it affected his ability to play...like marbury. Only difference is marbury WAS an all-star and probably top 3 at one point in time. He WAS a dominating PG, Unstopable. HE's older and injury prone ankles. Last 3 seasons he's missed significant playing time, or has played injured and not to his top ability. He's chronic. he's injury prone. 2006-2007 he only missed 8 games but he played injured affecting his game.
    Marbury played through heel spurs for 8 years. He can finally come into the season in shape. With plantar fasciatis you dont want that botherin you from the beginning, i see why he got off to slow starts. Now we all know hes healthy workin hard and hes ready to dominate.

I resepct you but i feel like most posters on here downplay how well he played in 06-07. Tony Parker and jason kidd would have both also struggled to make these scrubs better. Crawford is a D-league player with potential that he will most likely never reach and curry is fat, slow, and turnover prone. We had a fun team in 06-07 largely because of marbury especially when he went crazy in march having several 30 point games and a couple 40 point games. His defense was the best we've ever seen it. It didnt result in more wins but in sometimes a good player cant do it by himself. If no one else is willing to commit themselves on defense marbury cant guard 5 players at once. He was about as committed to playin his best defense as he could be, he didnt take no breaks from january to when he got hurt in early April.

We get the right players next to him and I think alot of people will be suprised. I keep sayin hes 31 now, hes made all the money he can make. Hes had a different attitude since he found jesus, i really dont think hes playin for the money at this point. Hes playin to win.

1. chris paul
    2. steve nash
    3. jason kid
    4.chauncy billups
    5. tony parker
    deron williams
    derek fisher
    .baron davis
    stephon marbury
    gilbert arenas

12th man

1. Chris Paul
    2. Deron Williams
    3. Steve Nash
    4. Jason Kidd
    5. Allen Iverson
    6. Baron Davis
    7. Chauncey Billups
    8. Jose Calderon
    9. Tony Parker
    10. Gilbert Arenas
    11. TJ Ford
    12. Devin Harris
    13. Andre Miller
    14. Stephon Marbury

Marbury is close to the top 10 range, he just needs one good season to back it up.

Honestly, Marbury is better than guys like

Jameer Nelson (defensively is terrible, only advantage over Marbury is shooting and youth)
    Rajon Rando (C level player)
    Earl Watson (C level player)
    Jason Williams (C level player)
    Mike Conley(right now) (in the future will eventually pass Marbury)
    Daniel Gibson (C level player)
    Beno Udirh (C level player)
    Derek Fisher (glorified role player)
    Marko Jaric (C level player)
    Jarret Jack (C level player)
    Rafer Alston (Never was and never will be better)
    Mike Bibby (on the decline completely, terrible defender, really has become one of the least athletic PG's in the NBA)
    Raymond Felton (can't shoot, streaky player thats immature as a PG)
    Antonio Daniels(role player)
    Kirk Hinrich (medicore at everything)
    Jamal Tiinsley(injury prone, can't shoot, on the decline)
    Maurice Williams(terrible defensively, really a combo guard)

Originally Posted by metrocard
    1. Chris Paul
    2. Deron Williams
    3. Steve Nash
    4. Jason Kidd
    5. Allen Iverson
    6. Baron Davis
    7. Chauncey Billups
    8. Jose Calderon
    9. Tony Parker
    10. Gilbert Arenas
    11. TJ Ford
    12. Devin Harris
    13. Andre Miller
    14. Stephon Marbury

Marbury is close to the top 10 range, he just needs one good season to back it up.

Honestly, Marbury is better than guys like

Jameer Nelson (defensively is terrible, only advantage over Marbury is shooting and youth)
    Rajon Rando (C level player)
    Earl Watson (C level player)
    Jason Williams (C level player)
    Mike Conley(right now) (in the future will eventually pass Marbury)
    Daniel Gibson (C level player)
    Beno Udirh (C level player)
    Derek Fisher (glorified role player)
    Marko Jaric (C level player)
    Jarret Jack (C level player)
    Rafer Alston (Never was and never will be better)
    Mike Bibby (on the decline completely, terrible defender, really has become one of the least athletic PG's in the NBA)
    Raymond Felton (can't shoot, streaky player thats immature as a PG)
    Antonio Daniels(role player)
    Kirk Hinrich (medicore at everything)
    Jamal Tiinsley(injury prone, can't shoot, on the decline)
    Maurice Williams(terrible defensively, really a combo guard)
    I think Parker is right behind Nash. That guy scares the hell outa me.