Steph marbury..what ranking does he deserve on top PG list

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
Marbury is not a Team Player. You can not mention one Player in the NBA that Marbury ever meshed with as a teammate. Basketball is a Team Sport.

KG and amare got better every year playing wit stephon, even kurt thomas was an offensive force when he was here wit all them pick and rolls

Kiyaman

Legend
Only us Knick-Fans think that Marbury is a Top Ten PG in the league.

The Best PG in the league the last past 5 years were "Chauncy Billups" without a doubt. Billups overall performance in Defense/Offense, asst/turnover ratio, and chemistry with his teammates out weigh all the rest of the Star PG in the NBA for the last 5 years.

Billups may have took his time in developing into a NBA SuperStar, but so did Steve Nash who was traded with Finley for Jason Kidd back in 1996-97.

Billups, Kidd, and Nash were team leaders before they arrived in the NBA however, the Teams that drafted them would not let them lead the point.
We all should know what Magic Johnson had to do his Rookie Season to be able to lead the Point for the Lakers his second season in the NBA.

P.S. When Marbury made that Public statement about being the BEST PG in the NBA a couple of seasons back, every NBA Team PG proved Marbury wrong that season by outplaying him and making the Knicks go on a record breaking losing streak. That was the reason for the FIRE of Coach Lenny Wilkins and the Hiring of Coach Larry Brown.

Kiyaman

Legend
KG and amare got better every year playing wit stephon, even kurt thomas was an offensive force when he was here wit all them pick and rolls

All Three Players had physical altercation with Marbury (even K-Mart). Meaning Marbury pissed off every Starting PF on each of his teams.

metrocard

Legend
Marbury hate on this board and by the NBA general is comical. This guy has proven he can preform in the NBA, at a very high level not many players have gone. Yet, you continue to castrate this motherfucker for not winning? smh @yall, not everyone has won in the NBA. A lot of people say T'Mac, Carter, Iverson, Arenas etc aren't team players...so what. They're still some of the best individual players. You don't think Marbury in 3 years can win a title with Rasheed Wallace and Prince(all NBA defenders that can shoot, rebound, and create ball movement, Rip Hamilton(All star SG with the best mid range game in the NBA, best moving withouth the ball) and one of the greatest defensive players of our generation, Ben Wallace? Please, Marbury is as good and better than Chauncey, or most of the PG's in the league for that matter. Don't downgrade his value because he never had the benefit to be on an elite team.

hmmm

Well pg now depends on system and talent around them as well.

Like I don't care how many mvps Nash has, Dantoni's system is what made him a superstar. He had similar talent in Dallas all those years and because the system was different, so were his numbers.

If you watch phx play... whoever he passes too... shoots... nomatter what. He'll dribble...dribble... pick...pass... and whoever has it shoots. If you do that all game, your assist will look pretty at the end of each game. Where as say in Stephs case, the ball will go to Curry, and if he passes out it rotates... and you wont get the assist on the bucket.

A lot of how people view pg's can be skewed to systems. So I usually go with the ones with the best all around games... offense and defense.

The Best PG in the league the last past 5 years were "Chauncy Billups" without a doubt. Billups overall performance in Defense/Offense, asst/turnover ratio, and chemistry with his teammates out weigh all the rest of the Star PG in the NBA for the last 5 years.

Billups may have took his time in developing into a NBA SuperStar, but so did Steve Nash who was traded with Finley for Jason Kidd back in 1996-97.

Billups, Kidd, and Nash were team leaders before they arrived in the NBA however, the Teams that drafted them would not let them lead the point.
We all should know what Magic Johnson had to do his Rookie Season to be able to lead the Point for the Lakers his second season in the NBA.

P.S. When Marbury made that Public statement about being the BEST PG in the NBA a couple of seasons back, every NBA Team PG proved Marbury wrong that season by outplaying him and making the Knicks go on a record breaking losing streak. That was the reason for the FIRE of Coach Lenny Wilkins and the Hiring of Coach Larry Brown.

This is exactly why I want the Knicks to get Artest so Steph would then become the 5th option and we take the east. Steph is so much better than Chauncey it's ridiculous. Or did you forget what he did to Chauncey last year at the Garden? When was the last time Chauncey dropped 40 on Steph? I give you a hint... the next time be the first time...

starbury4real

Benchwarmer
Marbury is not a Team Player. You can not mention one Player in the NBA that Marbury ever meshed with as a teammate. Basketball is a Team Sport.

MARBURY MESHED WITH KEVIN GARNETT BUT BECAUSE THEY BOTH HAD EGOS AND THEY WERE BOTH YOUNG THATS WHY MARBURY WANTED TO BE TRADED. I READ IN A POST THAT KEVIN GARNETT SAYING IF HIM AND MARBURY WERE STILL ON THE SAME TEAM THEY WOULD HAVE WON A CHAMPIONSHIP. NO OTHER PLAYER HAD CHEMISTRY WITH MARBURY THAN GARNETT AND AMARE. DID U REMEMBER MARBURY HELPED AMARE TO BE NAMED ROOKIE OF THE YEAR COS MARBURY SET HIM UP AND HE SHINED ON THE OFFENSIVE END. SO STOP THAT NONSENSE SAYING HE IS NOT A TEAM PLAYER.

starbury4real

Benchwarmer
This is exactly why I want the Knicks to get Artest so Steph would then become the 5th option and we take the east. Steph is so much better than Chauncey it's ridiculous. Or did you forget what he did to Chauncey last year at the Garden? When was the last time Chauncey dropped 40 on Steph? I give you a hint... the next time be the first time...

U RIGHT KNICKS4LYFE, I WAS AT DETROIT PISTON WEBSITE THE OTHER TIME AND A FAN ASKED BILLUPS WHO ARE THE BEST POINT GUARDS HE EVER GUARD, BILLUPS SAID MARBURY, KIDD AND BARON DAVIS. AND THE FAN ASKED HIM WHY, HE SAID MARBURY IS TOO STRONG, QUICK AND CAN PENETRATE AT WILL WHEN HE WANTS TO. SO I HATE WHEN PEOPLE SAY MARBURY IS A LOSSER.

starbury4real

Benchwarmer
Toughest Player To Guard By Eric Snow

Toughest Players to Guard
Kobe Bryant (LAKERS), Stephon Marbury (KNICKS)
THIS WAS QUOTED BY ERIC SNOW, ONE OF THE BEST DEFENSIVE POING GUARD IN THE NBA. ASK WHO WERE THE TOUGHEST PLAYERS TO GUARD AND HE SAID KOBE AND STEPHON MARBURY AND U PEOPLE SAY HE IS A LOSSER, EVEN THE PLAYERS ARE GIVING HIM HIS PROPS. U CAN WITNESS IT URSELVES BY GOING TO WWW.ERIC-SNOW.COM AND CLICK ON ABOUT ERIC SNOW. THERE U WILL WITNESS. DON'T THINK STEPHON MARBURY IS A SCRUB COS HE IS NOT A SCRUB AT AGE 30, HE DOES WHAT HE DOES IN HIS PRIME.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I think Marbury in his youth had some issues with is attitude. I think he had issues with coaches because he is not a traditional PG. He's a scoring PG like Thomas was. Marbury has never been selfish. That's not possible with your stats are 24 and 6. The argument in it's self is ridiculous. Those that think Marbury isn't a team player play the same card, look at him in Minnesota and New Jersey. That's like saying the Hawks suck because of Joe Johnson. Johnson needs help and Marbury needed help on both teams. Suns had a young Amare not a dominate all star like they do now. The same goes for NJ. This is not an excuse this is real talk! Think about it. One on one Marbury is one of the best at his position in the league. Nash has even admitted that.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player

What? ummm... Kidd led the Tripple J assualt in Dallas during his rookie year earning co-ROY honors with Grant Hill... he had an absurd amount of tripple doubles that year...

Billups was at the helm of a young Celtics team before they traded him to Denver... where he struggled...

Nash was drafted in that deep 96 draft and developed under Nellie...

What exactly did Magic have to do his rookie season to run point in year 2? far as I remember... Magic started point his rookier year... and ran some center when kareem was hurt...

Steph made the comment about being the best pg when LB was already coach... that was like december of 05... he jammed his shoulder running into szcerbiak and we lost like 17 in a row or something... before that... we were either at or approaching 500...

jpz17

Starter
Lets re-do this thread... MARBURY ISN'T ON IT haha its been a while since anything was posted.. lets see what happens when this is back up

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
My question to the poster who brought this thread up.Why are you feeding the fire? The forum has turned into a debate contest involving one player, Marbury, this thread barely has anything to do with the draft, basketball, or the Knicks anymore its just Marbury for the most part. Marbury has talents, unfortunately his character overshadows his game.

jpz17

Starter
Hey I don't hate Marbury.. its just I saw this thread and wanted to see what everyone thinks of him a year later.. He isn't really a top 10 I think now because he has a bigger chance of getting injurys now.. I'm also pretty sure hes a little slower

TunerAddict

Starter
Well pg now depends on system and talent around them as well.

Like I don't care how many mvps Nash has, Dantoni's system is what made him a superstar. He had similar talent in Dallas all those years and because the system was different, so were his numbers.

If you watch phx play... whoever he passes too... shoots... nomatter what. He'll dribble...dribble... pick...pass... and whoever has it shoots. If you do that all game, your assist will look pretty at the end of each game. Where as say in Stephs case, the ball will go to Curry, and if he passes out it rotates... and you wont get the assist on the bucket.

A lot of how people view pg's can be skewed to systems. So I usually go with the ones with the best all around games... offense and defense.

Thats why LeBron has so many assists. He basically runs the point most of the game.

No doubt marbury is still a top 10 pg. Ill take his skill level over most of the other pgs in the NBA not named Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Steve Nash, and Jason Kidd (Kidd has really dropped off though).

mynameis

Benchwarmer
starbury lost his hops.. but he's crossover is still there, he can still go to the basket with ease and make the shot....starbury is still in top ten and so far still the number 1 PG that ever played in the playgrounds of NY