Steph marbury..what ranking does he deserve on top PG list

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
starbury lost his hops.. but he's crossover is still there, he can still go to the basket with ease and make the shot....starbury is still in top ten and so far still the number 1 PG that ever played in the playgrounds of NY

best PG that ever played in da playgrounds of NY????u must have not heard about the boy skip to my lou aka rafer alston

moneyg

Starter
best PG that ever played in da playgrounds of NY????u must have not heard about the boy skip to my lou aka rafer alston

i think the best playground pg was kenny anderson. didn't do much in the pros but he was like god out there.

if i was starting a team today and i couldn't get paul or williams to run the point........ im taking raymond felton.. just look at the numbers ..doesn't get noticed playin for the bobcats:smokin:

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
These are the point guards that are clearly better then marbury:

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Chauncy Billups
Tony Parker

These overrated older point guards right around marburys level:

Steve Nash-Yes, i said it. Plays no defense AT ALL
Jason Kidd-Still a good passer/rebounder, defense isnt as good, cant score

Gilbert Arenas is a combo guard, he doesnt count as a point guard
Iverson-see gilbert arenas

Marbury is on the same level as baron davis, calderon, kirk hinrich (even though he had an off year he defends, scores, and passes)

How would i rank them in order?

CP3
Deron Williams
Billups
Tony Parker
Nash
Kidd
Marbury/Davis
Calderon
Hinrich

I almost think Kidd and Nash should be even lower. Marbury and Davis are about even, I cant give marbury too much credit because he didnt play much last year but off the strength of what he did in 06-07 he might even be as high as 4th best.

Marburys strengths and weaknesses from 06-07

Stengths:

Offense
3 Point shooting
attacking the rim
breaking down defenses
passing
team play
heart/desire
Great defense
Clutch

Weaknesses:

rebounding (not every pg is jason kidd)
his teammates (curry and crawford)

Starbury wouldve been by far if he wasnt good enough to play college and go pro at a younger age the skip to my lou

I agree with most of the above post. Marbury is still top 10 at his position. He has the talent to be top 5. He needs to prove it to the league and dominate like he said he will.

I dont know if i would put tony parker at the #4 spot. He can break down defenses at will but he is not the best defender and his ability to pass the basketball is overrated. With the rings he has i dont have a huge beef about him being there. After chris paul, deron williams, and chauncey billups its all a matter of opinion.

jpz17

Starter
hm I would have to put him around 10 now.. I had him 7 last year.. Hes just getting older, not much left and his best years are behind him. But he can still shoot, and maybe D'Antoni will be great for Steph

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
Stengths:

heart/desire
Clutch

Starbury wouldve been by far if he wasnt good enough to play college and go pro at a younger age the skip to my lou

i question those two strengths but im not starting another pointless war, and no marbury wouldnt have been better than skip in da NYC playgrounds, skip been dominating the unlimited group since he was 14 years old, i've seen this kid play man, there was a game where he got to the game in halftime down 27 and he brung his team back to win the game

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I never questioned marbury heart, its his attitude towards his teammates earlier in his career. Since 06-07 his teammates seem to like him. He showed alot of heart playing through injuries, plantar fasciatis, and trying to comeback after his fathers passing.

I cant think of many specific examples of him being clutch but i remember him hitting key shots and making key defensive plays not just since 06-07, but all throughout his career. Well maybe key shots but the key defensive plays became more consistent in 06-07. He played defense on and off previous to that.

jzero29

Rotation player
Marbury 10 ten? where's the performance?

starbury lost his hops.. but he's crossover is still there, he can still go to the basket with ease and make the shot....starbury is still in top ten and so far still the number 1 PG that ever played in the playgrounds of NY
Just wondering, what exactly...or when exactly was the last time you saw a marbury crossover. You acknowledge he has lost his hops, but amazingly with barely seeing him play over the past season and a half, you say he still has a crossover? exactly what are you basing this on? Did he school you in coney Island recently or something? what about his first step? His ankles are a chronic problem he may not be able to physically perform like the old young marbury. He may just perform like old man marbury.

Not trying to hate on marbury, it's just he hasn't played like a top 10 PG the last 2-3 seasons. Objectively, It may not be his fault with both larry brown and Isiah not playing him to his strengths and his injuries. But the Fact remains, he just hasn't performed like a top 10 Pg and there is nothing to debate about that. There is also the fact he may never recover to full physical condition of his youth. His confidence has been crushed the past 2-3 seasons by IT and Larry Brown. He's on a short leash with new staff.

I hope he returns to top 10 form, but he's got a lot going against him. Before I put my rep on the line saying he's top 10, I'd need to see something more then I have the past 2-3 seasons.

jzero29

Rotation player
These are the point guards that are clearly better then marbury:

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Chauncy Billups
Tony Parker

These overrated older point guards right around marburys level:

Steve Nash-Yes, i said it. Plays no defense AT ALL
Jason Kidd-Still a good passer/rebounder, defense isnt as good, cant score

Gilbert Arenas is a combo guard, he doesnt count as a point guard
Iverson-see gilbert arenas

Marbury is on the same level as baron davis, calderon, kirk hinrich (even though he had an off year he defends, scores, and passes)

How would i rank them in order?

CP3
Deron Williams
Billups
Tony Parker
Nash
Kidd
Marbury/Davis
Calderon
Hinrich

I almost think Kidd and Nash should be even lower. Marbury and Davis are about even, I cant give marbury too much credit because he didnt play much last year but off the strength of what he did in 06-07 he might even be as high as 4th best.

Marburys strengths and weaknesses from 06-07

Stengths:

Offense
3 Point shooting
attacking the rim
breaking down defenses
passing
team play
heart/desire
Great defense
Clutch

Weaknesses:

rebounding (not every pg is jason kidd)
his teammates (curry and crawford)

I agree with most of the above post. Marbury is still top 10 at his position. He has the talent to be top 5. He needs to prove it to the league and dominate like he said he will.

I dont know if i would put tony parker at the #4 spot. He can break down defenses at will but he is not the best defender and his ability to pass the basketball is overrated. With the rings he has i dont have a huge beef about him being there. After chris paul, deron williams, and chauncey billups its all a matter of opinion.

Kidd, plays good defence and you can say he's lost alot, but so has marbury, the last 2yrs even kidd in his decline has outperformed marbury.
Nash may not play solid defence but he plays hard and unfortunetly for knicks, mike d'antoni isn't a defensive minded coach,(when he was with phoenix, we'll see how he adjusts to knicks roster) SO tougher defense wasn't part of D'antoni's plan, he required nash to run point like a mad man, not play tough defense. and again you can't compare marburys last 2 seasons to nashes last two.Marbury is just not on that level.

hm I would have to put him around 10 now.. I had him 7 last year.. Hes just getting older, not much left and his best years are behind him. But he can still shoot, and maybe D'Antoni will be great for Steph
again your putting him at 10, because after the top couple no one really stands out, so your defaulting marbury into the top 10, because he used to be awesome and has potential, not for his performance, when if you look at his performance the last 2 seasons it's pretty bad. See my other post, its not all marbury's fault I acknowledge that. But injuries and coaching have a lot to do with it. But he has been out performed by avg point guards. Guys like tyrone lue, who blast knicks for career games. Mike bibby a slightly above avg pg has out performed Marbury. These guys aren't better then the old marbury, but they have performed better then the current marbury and it may be the changing of the guard. Look at sam cassel, rondo starts over him. who would you say was better pg? cassel because of his past performance, but rondo apparently starts, and I trust doc rivers judgment over my own and yours.
These rankings of marbury are based on what? Past performance? Because last year even when he did play he played limited minutes and didn't perform very well for most of the time he did play. and the season before that? He was probably at his worst ever. Yes you can rank marbury easily in top 10 based on prior years performances, but the last 2 season and maybe even 3 seasons, he's not in top 10 performance wise. His potnetial is top 10, but he's performed in the lower half of the middle of the pack avg PG.

metrocard

Legend
^ Hating to the max.

Marbury has been injured the last 2-3 seasons. He will be 100% healthy this season and resurrect his career. You will be coming back to this trade and saying "You were right metrocard".

jzero29

Rotation player
I acknowledge his injuries

I acknowledge his injuries, but he still hasn't played top 10 in some time. AS far as him being 100% didn't I here that before last season? fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I need to see 100% youthful marbury. He's 31, no longer a young man, little slower, little less ups, has had chronic ankle problems he hasn't overcome. His confidence at all time low. His game is all messed up from coaches. Like I said not his fault, but he still hasn't performed top 10. By your thinking damon stoudamire and cassel are still top PG, john stockton should have never retired. there comes a point when your athletic abitliy declines and younger player out perform you, but you live on your name. top 10 PG are leaders of there team, they take control, they are responsible for making their team win. Marbury, not only isn't responsible for knicks wins past 2 season, they have only won a handfull of games.
in the last couple of seasons Jason kidd, goes to NJ, a team full of practiacally no bodies and he leads them to the playoffs every year to the finals twice. He's a top 10 hands down. He made every guy better, what did marbury do in that same time? lead knicks to an embarassing playoff apperance once?
Steve nash, leads that team. Avg guys play like studs behind Nash. He's top 10 above marbury.
It's not hate it's realism. he's just not performing for various reason(not all his fault). Point being John stockton had just as productive a year this past year, and he is retired. Marbury has the talent to prove me wrong, but I need to see it to belive it. He needs to Be a top 10, I'm not just going to put him there because of how he has performed before these past 2-3 seasons(in which he has been avg pg at best on a losing team). The truth is, he may not get a chance to lead this team either. If D'antoni is as dumb as Isiah and puts the ball in Crawfords hands.

jzero29

Rotation player
PS

PS D'antoni the only coach out there i didn't want knicks to Hire. Just a popularity move. He won't have sucess here until he gets a guy like Nash at the point. Marbury can't play like that, no one on knicks can.

jzero29

Rotation player
did he lead team to playoffs?

anyone who watched in 06-07 should have no doubts that marbury is still top 10
did he lead his team to the playoffs? No. Did he create a winning atmosphere where even though his numbers weren't the best, his teamates performed above their skill level? No. Did his team overachieve or underachieve? Under big time. Was the ball in his hands at the end of games? No. Did he hit the winning shot or get the winning assist? or even be part of a play that set them up for a win? Not usually.
I'm sure the answer is yes to some of those questions, but it wasn't a usual experience. Most times it was Crawford, taking an unassisted shot at end of game. Most times during the whole game and especially at end, it was crawford breaking down defense. Marbury was just watching. So how canyou say he's still top 10 after 2006-07? What did he do to make his team a playoff team that year? Oh wait, they didn't make playoffs they were losers. Did he help them at the end of the season? No he was out injured and injury that has lingered with him.
Is allan houston still a top 10 SG? No, not because he's not talented, not because he doesn't play, but because he is physically not capable due to injuries. Much like MARBURY. A guy could be the best in the NBA and if he is injured he can't perform. PG jason williams(not the mIami guy, the one drafted from duke by bulls) he was a promising PG, he got injured and it affected his ability to play...like marbury. Only difference is marbury WAS an all-star and probably top 3 at one point in time. He WAS a dominating PG, Unstopable. HE's older and injury prone ankles. Last 3 seasons he's missed significant playing time, or has played injured and not to his top ability. He's chronic. he's injury prone. 2006-2007 he only missed 8 games but he played injured affecting his game.

jzero29

Rotation player
Everyone who knows me on here

everyone who knows me on here, that I wanted Marbury to run the point last couple seasons, I have dozens of posts hating on Crawford and Isiah for taking the ball out of marbury's hands and giving it to crawford. I don't hate marbury, just don't think he has performed top 10 last 3 seasons. I think he's riding on his past seasons sucess. Tere comes a time in every players career when He was once the best an unstopable force and he becomes just another guy. Marbury, the Last 3 seasons has been just another guy. I wanted him to have the chance to be the all-star he used to be. The coaches and injuries prevented that, and now he's crazyier then ever before. Confidence and game is and has been off.
Who knows if he'll even get the chance to be old marbury in D'antoni's system. HE will continue to have sub par seasons if the game is run by someone else. How can he be a top 10 PG when he isn't usually the guy handling the ball??? Larry brown wanted him to be a SG, and Isaih let crawford and robinson run point most of the time? What kind of top 10 PG doesn't run the point on his own team??? Your all crazy!!!!

jzero29

Rotation player
YALLL are crazy,.. I understand parker has some rings but fuckk!! so does John sally( as a matter of fact hes got a good 5 or 6 rings i believe) doesnt mean he was the greatest pf. Parker is talented but the top signifigant pg's are Jason Kidd,steve nash, because they obviously make or break a squad.. U take parker , iverson or arenas or any of those listed bums above off there team that team will more than likely have the same odds of achieving anything they planned on with they players.The prob with marbury is he is not surrounded by matured talent..this year i hope is a diff story,!
r u kidding me? Marbury has been out performed by parker all over the place. Sure maybe marbury has gotten him head to head a couple times, but Parker plays exceptionally well. He runs the team, he scores and passes. He's not my number one guy, but he's above marbury. Part of being PG is how you Run the team, If you guys noticed marbury hasn't run this team for several seasons. Part of this teams lack of success is(beside crawford blows) they don't have a PG.

metrocard

Legend
jzero29, you should acknowledge and understand Marbury is capable of playing top 5-10 PG type basketball. The last 3 years Marbury has been held back by injuries, playing with new players every month, a new coach and system every year. To assess Marbury the last 3 years is really mad ignorant. You and I know what he's capable of. Don't feed your soul to the media and follow the Marbury hatewagon.

Only Marbury's preformance in 08-09 will back up my word.

jzero29

Rotation player
jzero29, you should acknowledge and understand Marbury is capable of playing top 5-10 PG type basketball. The last 3 years Marbury has been held back by injuries, playing with new players every month, a new coach and system every year. To assess Marbury the last 3 years is really mad ignorant. You and I know what he's capable of. Don't feed your soul to the media and follow the Marbury hatewagon.

Only Marbury's preformance in 08-09 will back up my word.
Metro, I have been preaching for marbury to run the point for the knicks for since LB coached. I have been for marbury. I even in recent posts I have said he should remain on the knicks team and maybe he'll have a good year. I'm not on the hate wagon, I am just not blinded by starbury. The Guy has not performed to his standards. To overlook his lack of production is mad ignorant. He Hasn't played like the top 3 point guard he was capable of playing. Penny hardaway was great, he has skill, but is he good anymore? no, because he got hurt and never fully recovered. That has been marburys thing, he's been hurt but never recovered. He may not even be cast as the leader on this team and again he won't perform like a top 10 PG, because he hasn't really played point in the past couple seasons. That role has been Crawford and robison, although they are not true PG either. There is no hate, he's just not performing like top 10 PG, for an extended period of time. Sure he can be a top 10 Pg, but so can my unborn child, will he? I don't think so. I think the injuries to his pride and body are to much to overcome and become that PG leader he once was. It's like claiming tyson is still a number 1 contender. No he was in his prime, but events in his life, lead him from that path and he has not performed the same.
If he returns to form, he'd hands down be comeback player of the year. But his ankles, his ego/pride and his coaches all have to all work in his favor. There is no hate, i'm actually pro marbury, I wish theyd trade crawford and (z-bo or curry), draft a PG and let him back up steph. I have posted that at the end of this season. I'd like to see him have a chance. Buit odds arethe ball won't be in his hands, thus making him not a top ten PG. If you don't play PG, you can't be in top 10