Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Steph marbury..what ranking does he deserve on top PG list

Originally Posted by Knicks4lyfe
    Well pg now depends on system and talent around them as well.

Like I don't care how many mvps Nash has, Dantoni's system is what made him a superstar. He had similar talent in Dallas all those years and because the system was different, so were his numbers.

If you watch phx play... whoever he passes too... shoots... nomatter what. He'll dribble...dribble... pick...pass... and whoever has it shoots. If you do that all game, your assist will look pretty at the end of each game. Where as say in Stephs case, the ball will go to Curry, and if he passes out it rotates... and you wont get the assist on the bucket.

A lot of how people view pg's can be skewed to systems. So I usually go with the ones with the best all around games... offense and defense.
    Thats why LeBron has so many assists. He basically runs the point most of the game.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Marbury is still a top 10 PG, I'll debate to the death to prove it.
    I got your back

Originally Posted by MSGKnickz33
    I got your back
    Along with many other things of Metro you'd like to have.

No doubt marbury is still a top 10 pg. Ill take his skill level over most of the other pgs in the NBA not named Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Steve Nash, and Jason Kidd (Kidd has really dropped off though).

starbury lost his hops.. but he's crossover is still there, he can still go to the basket with ease and make the shot....starbury is still in top ten and so far still the number 1 PG that ever played in the playgrounds of NY

Originally Posted by mynameis
    starbury lost his hops.. but he's crossover is still there, he can still go to the basket with ease and make the shot....starbury is still in top ten and so far still the number 1 PG that ever played in the playgrounds of NY
    best PG that ever played in da playgrounds of NY????u must have not heard about the boy skip to my lou aka rafer alston

Veteran

Nyk Logo

Originally Posted by datruth
    best PG that ever played in da playgrounds of NY????u must have not heard about the boy skip to my lou aka rafer alston
    i think the best playground pg was kenny anderson. didn't do much in the pros but he was like god out there.

if i was starting a team today and i couldn't get paul or williams to run the point........ im taking raymond felton.. just look at the numbers ..doesn't get noticed playin for the bobcats

These are the point guards that are clearly better then marbury:

Chris Paul
    Deron Williams
    Chauncy Billups
    Tony Parker

These overrated older point guards right around marburys level:

Steve Nash-Yes, i said it. Plays no defense AT ALL
    Jason Kidd-Still a good passer/rebounder, defense isnt as good, cant score

Gilbert Arenas is a combo guard, he doesnt count as a point guard
    Iverson-see gilbert arenas

Marbury is on the same level as baron davis, calderon, kirk hinrich (even though he had an off year he defends, scores, and passes)

How would i rank them in order?

CP3
    Deron Williams
    Billups
    Tony Parker
    Nash
    Kidd
    Marbury/Davis
    Calderon
    Hinrich

I almost think Kidd and Nash should be even lower. Marbury and Davis are about even, I cant give marbury too much credit because he didnt play much last year but off the strength of what he did in 06-07 he might even be as high as 4th best.

Marburys strengths and weaknesses from 06-07

Stengths:

Offense
    3 Point shooting
    attacking the rim
    breaking down defenses
    passing
    team play
    heart/desire
    Great defense
    Clutch

Weaknesses:

rebounding (not every pg is jason kidd)
    his teammates (curry and crawford)

Originally Posted by datruth
    Starbury wouldve been by far if he wasnt good enough to play college and go pro at a younger age the skip to my lou

I agree with most of the above post. Marbury is still top 10 at his position. He has the talent to be top 5. He needs to prove it to the league and dominate like he said he will.

I dont know if i would put tony parker at the #4 spot. He can break down defenses at will but he is not the best defender and his ability to pass the basketball is overrated. With the rings he has i dont have a huge beef about him being there. After chris paul, deron williams, and chauncey billups its all a matter of opinion.

hm I would have to put him around 10 now.. I had him 7 last year.. Hes just getting older, not much left and his best years are behind him. But he can still shoot, and maybe D'Antoni will be great for Steph

Stengths:

heart/desire
    Clutch

Starbury wouldve been by far if he wasnt good enough to play college and go pro at a younger age the skip to my lou
    i question those two strengths but im not starting another pointless war, and no marbury wouldnt have been better than skip in da NYC playgrounds, skip been dominating the unlimited group since he was 14 years old, i've seen this kid play man, there was a game where he got to the game in halftime down 27 and he brung his team back to win the game

I never questioned marbury heart, its his attitude towards his teammates earlier in his career. Since 06-07 his teammates seem to like him. He showed alot of heart playing through injuries, plantar fasciatis, and trying to comeback after his fathers passing.

I cant think of many specific examples of him being clutch but i remember him hitting key shots and making key defensive plays not just since 06-07, but all throughout his career. Well maybe key shots but the key defensive plays became more consistent in 06-07. He played defense on and off previous to that.

I met Steph.. He seemed nice, I support him

Nyk Logo Marbury 10 ten? where's the performance?

Originally Posted by mynameis
    Just wondering, what exactly...or when exactly was the last time you saw a marbury crossover. You acknowledge he has lost his hops, but amazingly with barely seeing him play over the past season and a half, you say he still has a crossover? exactly what are you basing this on? Did he school you in coney Island recently or something? what about his first step? His ankles are a chronic problem he may not be able to physically perform like the old young marbury. He may just perform like old man marbury.

Not trying to hate on marbury, it's just he hasn't played like a top 10 PG the last 2-3 seasons. Objectively, It may not be his fault with both larry brown and Isiah not playing him to his strengths and his injuries. But the Fact remains, he just hasn't performed like a top 10 Pg and there is nothing to debate about that. There is also the fact he may never recover to full physical condition of his youth. His confidence has been crushed the past 2-3 seasons by IT and Larry Brown. He's on a short leash with new staff.

I hope he returns to top 10 form, but he's got a lot going against him. Before I put my rep on the line saying he's top 10, I'd need to see something more then I have the past 2-3 seasons.

These are the point guards that are clearly better then marbury:

Chris Paul
    Deron Williams
    Chauncy Billups
    Tony Parker

These overrated older point guards right around marburys level:

Steve Nash-Yes, i said it. Plays no defense AT ALL
    Jason Kidd-Still a good passer/rebounder, defense isnt as good, cant score

Gilbert Arenas is a combo guard, he doesnt count as a point guard
    Iverson-see gilbert arenas

Marbury is on the same level as baron davis, calderon, kirk hinrich (even though he had an off year he defends, scores, and passes)

How would i rank them in order?

CP3
    Deron Williams
    Billups
    Tony Parker
    Nash
    Kidd
    Marbury/Davis
    Calderon
    Hinrich

I almost think Kidd and Nash should be even lower. Marbury and Davis are about even, I cant give marbury too much credit because he didnt play much last year but off the strength of what he did in 06-07 he might even be as high as 4th best.

Marburys strengths and weaknesses from 06-07

Stengths:

Offense
    3 Point shooting
    attacking the rim
    breaking down defenses
    passing
    team play
    heart/desire
    Great defense
    Clutch

Weaknesses:

rebounding (not every pg is jason kidd)
    his teammates (curry and crawford)

Originally Posted by Mike Jabroni
    I agree with most of the above post. Marbury is still top 10 at his position. He has the talent to be top 5. He needs to prove it to the league and dominate like he said he will.

I dont know if i would put tony parker at the #4 spot. He can break down defenses at will but he is not the best defender and his ability to pass the basketball is overrated. With the rings he has i dont have a huge beef about him being there. After chris paul, deron williams, and chauncey billups its all a matter of opinion.
    Kidd, plays good defence and you can say he's lost alot, but so has marbury, the last 2yrs even kidd in his decline has outperformed marbury.
    Nash may not play solid defence but he plays hard and unfortunetly for knicks, mike d'antoni isn't a defensive minded coach,(when he was with phoenix, we'll see how he adjusts to knicks roster) SO tougher defense wasn't part of D'antoni's plan, he required nash to run point like a mad man, not play tough defense. and again you can't compare marburys last 2 seasons to nashes last two.Marbury is just not on that level.

Originally Posted by jpz17
    hm I would have to put him around 10 now.. I had him 7 last year.. Hes just getting older, not much left and his best years are behind him. But he can still shoot, and maybe D'Antoni will be great for Steph
    again your putting him at 10, because after the top couple no one really stands out, so your defaulting marbury into the top 10, because he used to be awesome and has potential, not for his performance, when if you look at his performance the last 2 seasons it's pretty bad. See my other post, its not all marbury's fault I acknowledge that. But injuries and coaching have a lot to do with it. But he has been out performed by avg point guards. Guys like tyrone lue, who blast knicks for career games. Mike bibby a slightly above avg pg has out performed Marbury. These guys aren't better then the old marbury, but they have performed better then the current marbury and it may be the changing of the guard. Look at sam cassel, rondo starts over him. who would you say was better pg? cassel because of his past performance, but rondo apparently starts, and I trust doc rivers judgment over my own and yours.
    These rankings of marbury are based on what? Past performance? Because last year even when he did play he played limited minutes and didn't perform very well for most of the time he did play. and the season before that? He was probably at his worst ever. Yes you can rank marbury easily in top 10 based on prior years performances, but the last 2 season and maybe even 3 seasons, he's not in top 10 performance wise. His potnetial is top 10, but he's performed in the lower half of the middle of the pack avg PG.