Thread: Marbury blog

Hybrid View

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Default Marbury blog

By STEPHON MARBURY

Thanks to everybody who posted. You are getting to know my real story, from the inside out, not the outside in.
    It's been said that you can't judge a book by its cover. To understand any subject, you have to spend time getting to know it and what is going on in the inside. That's the only way to get the real story. Some of the posters don't like that I know how to express myself here.
    Most people take the easy road because it's easier to look at the cover and think you know what's up or believe what somebody else said.
    Every city we go to we are touching people's lives. That's why I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life. They used to say I never smiled. Now when I smile because I'm happy they say I'm drunk or I'm high or have some type of problem.
    I'm happy Nate Robinson won the summer-league MVP playing point the whole time. I heard he shouted me out in his post-game interview and told me to look out.
    I'm happy that Nate feels like that about playing point guard.. Nate is the new wave of the future for the Knicks. I'm happy that he is going to come in this year to push me and himself in the right direction. Everything's sinking in. He's one dude I want to go to war with because he lays his heart out for you.
    The tour is going great. While we were in Virginia and B-more, we went to the Barry Farms streetball tournament in DC. It was crazy.
    The kid 720 with the crazy hops was there and dudes like "AO'' who used to be down with And 1. They were all rockin' Starbury gear. Starbury is locking down the streetball game too. I forgot to tell you that when Mayor Bloomberg left the meeting with me, he was wearing $14.98 Starburys.
    After that we bounced through Charlotte. We stopped off at one of my favorite places to eat, Cracker Barrel. We met a nice lady named Lisa who worked there and told us the story of how she had promised her son she would buy him a pair of $175 Jordans even though she didn't want to. But he never had any brand name shoes. So she did it.
    She wrote Michael Jordan a letter saying it was unfair a lot of children wouldn't be able to afford them and they shouldn't need Jordans to feel accepted.
    She said they sent her a b.s. email back but that was it. I want Michael Jordan to get down with the movement and come out with a Star Jordan sneaker for the people. Let's see what happens.
    I also met this kid Matt in Charlotte who called himself a sports nerd. He did a poster board with all of my career highlights like the Big O, Oscar Robertson, being the only other person besides me to average 20 points and 8 assists over his whole career. And they say I'm selfish.
    We went to Orlando on Monday and stopped by Disney's Wide World of Sports for the girls national AAU championships. We gave Starbury shoes to the New York PAL team from Staten Island and a local Orlando team. That was cool cause now the girls have been asking for us to do Starburys for them and now we do.
    I did an interview with ESPN and the reporter said I sounded like I don't care about basketball because I said "its just a game and what I'm doing off the court is bigger than just basketball.''
    I told him maybe he would feel like that if he didn't make it to the NBA but I did and I love the game of basketball. But it's our job and the way we feed our families. It's not everything. There are much bigger things going on in the world.
    It's media people like that who don't really know me for who I am that is the reason why people always get it twisted. After that, we hung out at Disneyworld. The tour is a grind so it was good to
    be able to have fun for a minute. We rode my favorite ride called Soarin.
    At the Orlando store, there was a kid in a wheelchair waiting outside the tour bus for me. He was just wanting my autograph but I took him in the store and everybody who was waiting started cheering. He was next to me for the whole signing and loved it.
    We are on our way to the Midwest now as I write this. We hit Erie, P.A. and Elyria, Ohio on Tuesday and then Cleveland on Wednesday.
    We're moving in the right direction on and off the court. People can try to judge this book by its cover but I know only God can really judge me cause God knows what's really in my heart. That should be enough to make anybody smile.

Great read...glad to have this guy on our team.

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

Nyk Logo

Good post. I'm glad Steph is doing good things on and off the court. I as specially like his challenge to Michael Jordan to lower the cost of his kicks. We need to yell this out to Nike and Jordan. This should be all over ESPN. I want to see Marbury publicly challenge Jordan to lower the cost of Air Jordans. Regarding Marbury on the court, I've been saying this as long as Marbury's been a Knicks. There were allot of posters up here a few years ago that demanded Marbury be traded and called him selfish. Not surprisingly they have all disappeared or jumped on the Marbury bandwagon. I never understood how a man that averages 7-8 assists per game can be selfish. I bet if Nash passed the ball less and scored more no one would call him selfish. The media would praise his scoring ability. The bar is set much higher for Marbury. All he has to do now is lead his team into the play offs. Finally he has the pieces he needs to do that.

True indeed... a lot of cats don't watch games and wait for the guys on PTI or Sports Center to tell them what to think...

What are you people against capitalism?

The problem is not Jordan or Nike selling their shoes at $150 or $175 a pair....the problem is the people who buy them and think they are a ****ing status symbol to be praised. I never owned or stooped down to buy a pair of Jordan sneakers in my life...except recently with the 22's....and those "fell off the back of a truck for $60, and are authentic"....

Especially in the hood, I grew up in the Bronx went to PS76 AND MS 135...plenty of my classmates had Jordan...I could never afford them..and when I started working...I just wasn't going to shell out...$150 for a pair of sneakers that are going to get scuffed, or someone steps on....I got plenty of friends till this day that 100% must have the Jordan's every time they come out...I broke down bought the one because thought they were hott..and couldn't beat the price I paid for them.

That same $150...could be better spent buying your kid some shirts, pants, actual shoes so they'll have something to wear to a job interview...and look decent and not like they just coming off the set of a rap video. I blame society for having such a ****ed up set of values to place sneakers so high as a status symbol..in our house education, food, lights, meant more than a pair of sneakers, what ever happened to parent's saying NO?

Or better yet make them work for them...**** you tell them you want em, you earn them...let them spend their own money...see if they still want to constantly keep of with the trends..

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Realz
    What are you people against capitalism?

The problem is not Jordan or Nike selling their shoes at $150 or $175 a pair....the problem is the people who buy them and think they are a ****ing status symbol to be praised. I never owned or stooped down to buy a pair of Jordan sneakers in my life...except recently with the 22's....and those "fell off the back of a truck for $60, and are authentic"....

Especially in the hood, I grew up in the Bronx went to PS76 AND MS 135...plenty of my classmates had Jordan...I could never afford them..and when I started working...I just wasn't going to shell out...$150 for a pair of sneakers that are going to get scuffed, or someone steps on....I got plenty of friends till this day that 100% must have the Jordan's every time they come out...I broke down bought the one because thought they were hott..and couldn't beat the price I paid for them.

That same $150...could be better spent buying your kid some shirts, pants, actual shoes so they'll have something to wear to a job interview...and look decent and not like they just coming off the set of a rap video. I blame society for having such a ****ed up set of values to place sneakers so high as a status symbol..in our house education, food, lights, meant more than a pair of sneakers, what ever happened to parent's saying NO?

Or better yet make them work for them...**** you tell them you want em, you earn them...let them spend their own money...see if they still want to constantly keep of with the trends..
    You make a good point. Gas prices are crazy high and AT&T can't keep the iPhones on the shelf. These are trying economical times but people are still spending. That's the mentality the government has instilled in us. Keep spending it stimulates the economy. So the people that don't have **** never will have **** and the ones that do always will. My only problem with capitalism is it's fueled by greed. It may be too much to ask for but it would be nice to see a capitalist with a conscience. I remember when kids in NY were killing each other over Jordan's shoes. He said if he knew this would happen he would have never made the shoe. A year later the price of the same shoe that kids killed each other over went up 75 bucks. What Steph is doing is a good thing.

Originally Posted by donchris
    You make a good point. Gas prices are crazy high and AT&T can't keep the iPhones on the shelf. These are trying economical times but people are still spending. That's the mentality the government has instilled in us. Keep spending it stimulates the economy. So the people that don't have **** never will have **** and the ones that do always will. My only problem with capitalism is it's fueled by greed. It may be too much to ask for but it would be nice to see a capitalist with a conscience. I remember when kids in NY were killing each other over Jordan's shoes. He said if he knew this would happen he would have never made the shoe. A year later the price of the same shoe that kids killed each other over went up 75 bucks. What Steph is doing is a good thing.
    I disagree as far as blaming the government for this one. Capitalism is the only system that allows someone to come from nothing to make something of themselves. In other systems your family had better be politically connected, or militarily, because they have a social caste. In American...the dollars...are what make the social caste.

Government doesn't tell folks to go cop an Iphone when you can get like an LG60 for $50 bucks if that much. Government doesn't tell folks buy $150 sneaks when you can get the $14.98 Starbury's...without capitalism the ability to choose between these choices are not even possible,because what would happen would the person in a position of power would force their brand..only one brand down people's throats. So you might be forced to buy Jordan's...or Marbury's...which would never be good because people deserve the right to choose for themselves.

Spending does stimulate the economy...it's a fact. Without consumers the economy does not run. No one buying fast food..people lose jobs..the workers...the managers...the people who make the food wrappers..the containers..the people who process the beef...the farmers....it's all connected like that...and you can do this with just about every industry known to man.

People **** it up and become stupid by not "CONTROLLING THEIR SPENDING" that's the problem of every single individual person. Not the US government.

People want government to not tell them what to do when it comes to their private lives in matters of sex, religion, politics, health care...yet people want more government involvement in things like economy, safety, spending....can't have it both ways. Either you want the government running your life, or you want them to have as little involvement as possible. People say well government should control somethings...been trying to figure that one out since the inception of this nations as to where that line is drawn...and still no dice.

This is why I'm a libertarian. Nobody **** with nobody...seems to work very well.

It's great when players get to a point where they start to really understand the world around them and it translates into becoming better individuals. I like this "new" Steph and his confidence in his teammates but I still want the aggressive player that was drafted out of GT years ago too.

Interesting point about his shoes vs Jordans. Paying $175 to look the part of a popular kid is the wrong message to send out to these kids. It's really a strain on parents pockets. I remember my mother buying me Jordans because she knew I really wanted it but now I realize that she may have decided to have less for herself in order to purchase them.

Steph is having fun and enjoying life. Let's give him his props and support this team no matter what. The bottom line is, if you wear a Knicks uniform you should be celebrated by this town.