Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63

Thread: Marbury blog

  1. #1
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Marbury blog

    By STEPHON MARBURY

    Thanks to everybody who posted. You are getting to know my real story, from the inside out, not the outside in.
    It's been said that you can't judge a book by its cover. To understand any subject, you have to spend time getting to know it and what is going on in the inside. That's the only way to get the real story. Some of the posters don't like that I know how to express myself here.
    Most people take the easy road because it's easier to look at the cover and think you know what's up or believe what somebody else said.
    Every city we go to we are touching people's lives. That's why I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life. They used to say I never smiled. Now when I smile because I'm happy they say I'm drunk or I'm high or have some type of problem.
    I'm happy Nate Robinson won the summer-league MVP playing point the whole time. I heard he shouted me out in his post-game interview and told me to look out.
    I'm happy that Nate feels like that about playing point guard.. Nate is the new wave of the future for the Knicks. I'm happy that he is going to come in this year to push me and himself in the right direction. Everything's sinking in. He's one dude I want to go to war with because he lays his heart out for you.
    The tour is going great. While we were in Virginia and B-more, we went to the Barry Farms streetball tournament in DC. It was crazy.
    The kid 720 with the crazy hops was there and dudes like "AO'' who used to be down with And 1. They were all rockin' Starbury gear. Starbury is locking down the streetball game too. I forgot to tell you that when Mayor Bloomberg left the meeting with me, he was wearing $14.98 Starburys.
    After that we bounced through Charlotte. We stopped off at one of my favorite places to eat, Cracker Barrel. We met a nice lady named Lisa who worked there and told us the story of how she had promised her son she would buy him a pair of $175 Jordans even though she didn't want to. But he never had any brand name shoes. So she did it.
    She wrote Michael Jordan a letter saying it was unfair a lot of children wouldn't be able to afford them and they shouldn't need Jordans to feel accepted.
    She said they sent her a b.s. email back but that was it. I want Michael Jordan to get down with the movement and come out with a Star Jordan sneaker for the people. Let's see what happens.
    I also met this kid Matt in Charlotte who called himself a sports nerd. He did a poster board with all of my career highlights like the Big O, Oscar Robertson, being the only other person besides me to average 20 points and 8 assists over his whole career. And they say I'm selfish.
    We went to Orlando on Monday and stopped by Disney's Wide World of Sports for the girls national AAU championships. We gave Starbury shoes to the New York PAL team from Staten Island and a local Orlando team. That was cool cause now the girls have been asking for us to do Starburys for them and now we do.
    I did an interview with ESPN and the reporter said I sounded like I don't care about basketball because I said "its just a game and what I'm doing off the court is bigger than just basketball.''
    I told him maybe he would feel like that if he didn't make it to the NBA but I did and I love the game of basketball. But it's our job and the way we feed our families. It's not everything. There are much bigger things going on in the world.
    It's media people like that who don't really know me for who I am that is the reason why people always get it twisted. After that, we hung out at Disneyworld. The tour is a grind so it was good to
    be able to have fun for a minute. We rode my favorite ride called Soarin.
    At the Orlando store, there was a kid in a wheelchair waiting outside the tour bus for me. He was just wanting my autograph but I took him in the store and everybody who was waiting started cheering. He was next to me for the whole signing and loved it.
    We are on our way to the Midwest now as I write this. We hit Erie, P.A. and Elyria, Ohio on Tuesday and then Cleveland on Wednesday.
    We're moving in the right direction on and off the court. People can try to judge this book by its cover but I know only God can really judge me cause God knows what's really in my heart. That should be enough to make anybody smile.

    Great read...glad to have this guy on our team.

  2. #2
    Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,676
    Rep Power
    11

    Nyk Logo

    Good post. I'm glad Steph is doing good things on and off the court. I as specially like his challenge to Michael Jordan to lower the cost of his kicks. We need to yell this out to Nike and Jordan. This should be all over ESPN. I want to see Marbury publicly challenge Jordan to lower the cost of Air Jordans. Regarding Marbury on the court, I've been saying this as long as Marbury's been a Knicks. There were allot of posters up here a few years ago that demanded Marbury be traded and called him selfish. Not surprisingly they have all disappeared or jumped on the Marbury bandwagon. I never understood how a man that averages 7-8 assists per game can be selfish. I bet if Nash passed the ball less and scored more no one would call him selfish. The media would praise his scoring ability. The bar is set much higher for Marbury. All he has to do now is lead his team into the play offs. Finally he has the pieces he needs to do that.

  3. #3
    Superstar ShairanXIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    501
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    True indeed... a lot of cats don't watch games and wait for the guys on PTI or Sports Center to tell them what to think...

  4. #4
    Member KnicksFan4Realz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    What are you people against capitalism?

    The problem is not Jordan or Nike selling their shoes at $150 or $175 a pair....the problem is the people who buy them and think they are a ****ing status symbol to be praised. I never owned or stooped down to buy a pair of Jordan sneakers in my life...except recently with the 22's....and those "fell off the back of a truck for $60, and are authentic"....

    Especially in the hood, I grew up in the Bronx went to PS76 AND MS 135...plenty of my classmates had Jordan...I could never afford them..and when I started working...I just wasn't going to shell out...$150 for a pair of sneakers that are going to get scuffed, or someone steps on....I got plenty of friends till this day that 100% must have the Jordan's every time they come out...I broke down bought the one because thought they were hott..and couldn't beat the price I paid for them.

    That same $150...could be better spent buying your kid some shirts, pants, actual shoes so they'll have something to wear to a job interview...and look decent and not like they just coming off the set of a rap video. I blame society for having such a ****ed up set of values to place sneakers so high as a status symbol..in our house education, food, lights, meant more than a pair of sneakers, what ever happened to parent's saying NO?

    Or better yet make them work for them...**** you tell them you want em, you earn them...let them spend their own money...see if they still want to constantly keep of with the trends..

  5. #5
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    It's great when players get to a point where they start to really understand the world around them and it translates into becoming better individuals. I like this "new" Steph and his confidence in his teammates but I still want the aggressive player that was drafted out of GT years ago too.

    Interesting point about his shoes vs Jordans. Paying $175 to look the part of a popular kid is the wrong message to send out to these kids. It's really a strain on parents pockets. I remember my mother buying me Jordans because she knew I really wanted it but now I realize that she may have decided to have less for herself in order to purchase them.

    Steph is having fun and enjoying life. Let's give him his props and support this team no matter what. The bottom line is, if you wear a Knicks uniform you should be celebrated by this town.

  6. #6
    Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,676
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Realz
    What are you people against capitalism?

    The problem is not Jordan or Nike selling their shoes at $150 or $175 a pair....the problem is the people who buy them and think they are a ****ing status symbol to be praised. I never owned or stooped down to buy a pair of Jordan sneakers in my life...except recently with the 22's....and those "fell off the back of a truck for $60, and are authentic"....

    Especially in the hood, I grew up in the Bronx went to PS76 AND MS 135...plenty of my classmates had Jordan...I could never afford them..and when I started working...I just wasn't going to shell out...$150 for a pair of sneakers that are going to get scuffed, or someone steps on....I got plenty of friends till this day that 100% must have the Jordan's every time they come out...I broke down bought the one because thought they were hott..and couldn't beat the price I paid for them.

    That same $150...could be better spent buying your kid some shirts, pants, actual shoes so they'll have something to wear to a job interview...and look decent and not like they just coming off the set of a rap video. I blame society for having such a ****ed up set of values to place sneakers so high as a status symbol..in our house education, food, lights, meant more than a pair of sneakers, what ever happened to parent's saying NO?

    Or better yet make them work for them...**** you tell them you want em, you earn them...let them spend their own money...see if they still want to constantly keep of with the trends..
    You make a good point. Gas prices are crazy high and AT&T can't keep the iPhones on the shelf. These are trying economical times but people are still spending. That's the mentality the government has instilled in us. Keep spending it stimulates the economy. So the people that don't have **** never will have **** and the ones that do always will. My only problem with capitalism is it's fueled by greed. It may be too much to ask for but it would be nice to see a capitalist with a conscience. I remember when kids in NY were killing each other over Jordan's shoes. He said if he knew this would happen he would have never made the shoe. A year later the price of the same shoe that kids killed each other over went up 75 bucks. What Steph is doing is a good thing.

  7. #7
    Member KnicksFan4Realz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by donchris
    You make a good point. Gas prices are crazy high and AT&T can't keep the iPhones on the shelf. These are trying economical times but people are still spending. That's the mentality the government has instilled in us. Keep spending it stimulates the economy. So the people that don't have **** never will have **** and the ones that do always will. My only problem with capitalism is it's fueled by greed. It may be too much to ask for but it would be nice to see a capitalist with a conscience. I remember when kids in NY were killing each other over Jordan's shoes. He said if he knew this would happen he would have never made the shoe. A year later the price of the same shoe that kids killed each other over went up 75 bucks. What Steph is doing is a good thing.
    I disagree as far as blaming the government for this one. Capitalism is the only system that allows someone to come from nothing to make something of themselves. In other systems your family had better be politically connected, or militarily, because they have a social caste. In American...the dollars...are what make the social caste.

    Government doesn't tell folks to go cop an Iphone when you can get like an LG60 for $50 bucks if that much. Government doesn't tell folks buy $150 sneaks when you can get the $14.98 Starbury's...without capitalism the ability to choose between these choices are not even possible,because what would happen would the person in a position of power would force their brand..only one brand down people's throats. So you might be forced to buy Jordan's...or Marbury's...which would never be good because people deserve the right to choose for themselves.

    Spending does stimulate the economy...it's a fact. Without consumers the economy does not run. No one buying fast food..people lose jobs..the workers...the managers...the people who make the food wrappers..the containers..the people who process the beef...the farmers....it's all connected like that...and you can do this with just about every industry known to man.

    People **** it up and become stupid by not "CONTROLLING THEIR SPENDING" that's the problem of every single individual person. Not the US government.

    People want government to not tell them what to do when it comes to their private lives in matters of sex, religion, politics, health care...yet people want more government involvement in things like economy, safety, spending....can't have it both ways. Either you want the government running your life, or you want them to have as little involvement as possible. People say well government should control somethings...been trying to figure that one out since the inception of this nations as to where that line is drawn...and still no dice.

    This is why I'm a libertarian. Nobody **** with nobody...seems to work very well.

  8. #8
    Newbie Andominus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Mount Vernon
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Realz
    Either you want the government running your life, or you want them to have as little involvement as possible. People say well government should control somethings...been trying to figure that one out since the inception of this nations as to where that line is drawn...and still no dice.
    The government needs to regulate some economic affairs to prevent the seemingly natural desire in capitalism for firms to exploit others in effort to maximize their profits. The beautiful thing about the Starbury's is not only are they affordable to the consumer, but they are not made with sweatshop labor. The same can't be said for Jordan's. Exploitative labor conditions distort natural market tendencies towards growth for the majority of developing nations. Millions of people around the world suffer because of companies like Nike that lie that their jobs in Indonesia help the people by providing 10 cents a day for them. They then have the audacity to charge $175 for shoes that cost $5 to make.

    I can go on about how terrible Nike is all day, but the saddest thing for me was growin up in Mt. Vernon and have American culture propagate representations of black males as only being cool if they wasted money on shoes that were made thru exploitation of fellow oppressed peoples. Black American culture never used to be that way. It has historically been aligned with the interests of the globally marginalized. Now, however, with advances in communications and technology, BET, MTV, and all of the media has been able to standardize black culture and limit its representations to be only that of thug who has achieved his wealthy thru sports, rappin, or drugs. People end up thinkin the only way they can be black or hood is thru such means. This too is exploitation, for the entire spectrum of blackness is not represented. Interestingly enough, it is done by both white and black capitalists who have no sense of social responsibility.

  9. #9
    Member KnicksFan4Realz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by Andominus
    The government needs to regulate some economic affairs to prevent the seemingly natural desire in capitalism for firms to exploit others in effort to maximize their profits. The beautiful thing about the Starbury's is not only are they affordable to the consumer, but they are not made with sweatshop labor. The same can't be said for Jordan's. Exploitative labor conditions distort natural market tendencies towards growth for the majority of developing nations. Millions of people around the world suffer because of companies like Nike that lie that their jobs in Indonesia help the people by providing 10 cents a day for them. They then have the audacity to charge $175 for shoes that cost $5 to make.

    I can go on about how terrible Nike is all day, but the saddest thing for me was growin up in Mt. Vernon and have American culture propagate representations of black males as only being cool if they wasted money on shoes that were made thru exploitation of fellow oppressed peoples. Black American culture never used to be that way. It has historically been aligned with the interests of the globally marginalized. Now, however, with advances in communications and technology, BET, MTV, and all of the media has been able to standardize black culture and limit its representations to be only that of thug who has achieved his wealthy thru sports, rappin, or drugs. People end up thinkin the only way they can be black or hood is thru such means. This too is exploitation, for the entire spectrum of blackness is not represented. Interestingly enough, it is done by both white and black capitalists who have no sense of social responsibility.
    You make it seem as if greed only happens in capitalism. It happens quite frequently in socialism, and communism as well. Everyone that lives in Venezuela under Chavez not exactly all that happy right now...and I'm not talking about only a handful of maybe the previous economic elite..I'm talking folks that would be considered either middle or low class folks economically.

    Let's not even get into Cuba and their problems with communism. If communism was so great...people would not defect from Cuba as they do in droves annually. Fact of the matter is what your talking about is not an economic problem brought on by capitalism and it's trappings what you are talking about is morality and ethics..which have nothing to do in terms of money.

    In truth there are alot of jobs people should be making a hell of a lot more...but on the other end those costs are just going to passed along to the consumer anyway...because companies are going to raise their prices in order to keep the same percentage of profit. So if workers at McDonald's, if the minimum wage was say $12.50 an hr...the price of that Big Mac and fries would probably go up anywhere between $.75 and $2.75! And as much as folks complain and talk about the poor should be making more money, NO ONE WANTS TO PICK UP THE TRANSITIONAL COSTS of what it is going to take to balance that out..

    So people get upset when they hear about sweatshop labor but they really don't give a **** because...it's going to raise the cost of the goods when they go to the store and purchase the goods themselves. That's the reality...but too many people won't admit this publicly because it's not the right thing to say politically because it is the actual hard cold unfiltered truth.

  10. #10
    Superstar ShairanXIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    501
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Realz
    You make it seem as if greed only happens in capitalism. It happens quite frequently in socialism, and communism as well. Everyone that lives in Venezuela under Chavez not exactly all that happy right now...and I'm not talking about only a handful of maybe the previous economic elite..I'm talking folks that would be considered either middle or low class folks economically.

    Let's not even get into Cuba and their problems with communism. If communism was so great...people would not defect from Cuba as they do in droves annually. Fact of the matter is what your talking about is not an economic problem brought on by capitalism and it's trappings what you are talking about is morality and ethics..which have nothing to do in terms of money.

    In truth there are alot of jobs people should be making a hell of a lot more...but on the other end those costs are just going to passed along to the consumer anyway...because companies are going to raise their prices in order to keep the same percentage of profit. So if workers at McDonald's, if the minimum wage was say $12.50 an hr...the price of that Big Mac and fries would probably go up anywhere between $.75 and $2.75! And as much as folks complain and talk about the poor should be making more money, NO ONE WANTS TO PICK UP THE TRANSITIONAL COSTS of what it is going to take to balance that out..

    So people get upset when they hear about sweatshop labor but they really don't give a **** because...it's going to raise the cost of the goods when they go to the store and purchase the goods themselves. That's the reality...but too many people won't admit this publicly because it's not the right thing to say politically because it is the actual hard cold unfiltered truth.
    you're right... greed is a human emotion that can exist everywhere... the situation in Cuba isn't as bad as you make it out to be... have you ever been to Cuba? I have... yea... there are downsides... but universal health care? 100% literacy? i would take a healthy and educated populace over what we have now... don't let the Miami anti castro cats fool you... many people are happy with Castro and in Cuba... I'm not as familiar with Venezuela...

    who says the cost has to be passed on to the consumer? this is where government regulation of industry comes into play... while oil prices skyrocketed... we were encouraged to spend by our administration... and Exon experienced two years of record stocks... the government has anti monopoly laws... the government sets minimum safety standards for auto companies... there needs to be a certain level of government involvement to protect the citizenry...

    and capitalism itself is not enough the cause of people overspending... but when companies have billion dollar marketing campaigns... and billions into R&D... then commercialize the movies, television shows, etc that we are exposed to... television for a long time presented charicatures of our people... because of that... people assume that overspending is the way to be black...

    i'm glad your parents had morals... mine did too... but i work with kids and see first hand the power marketing has over kids whose parents don't have as much moral wherewithal to say enough is enough...

    MJ needs a conscience... seriously dude... Magic, Steph, Chauncy, Sheed, ****, even Ron Artest help humanity with their celebrity... MJ has never done anything to uplift the community he pilfers with his overpriced kicks...

    without turning this into a political pulpit... we can

  11. #11
    Member KnicksFan4Realz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I've still never seen an advertisement make someone choose between having money for their light bill, and a pair of sneakers or a new dress...when that happens then I'll blame it on big business advertising.

    I think parents today just don't have the balls anymore to say NO to their damned kids. I was told NO several times growing up, guess what I'm still alive..still breathing.

    As far as the costs being passed on to the consumer what raising taxes is a better solution? Yeah, that will have no problem passing whatsoever. If it's one thing people can unite about it's they don't want their taxes raised!

    If parents don't have moral wherewithal to stand up to their kids, honestly they are not ready to be parents in the first place.

    When I graduated HS I joined the Army...I delayed going to college, just wanted something else...I spent almost 2 years here in the states...and the rest all Iraq till my 4 yr commitment was up...came back in one piece and all and honestly having had that experience I can say...the priorities are a alot of people are ****ed up in this country. The **** people complain about day in day out...honestly doesn't mean dick.

    My cousin served as well...he was in the Marines...he died in combat..he was apart of the Thundering 3rd. Right now I'm raising his younger brother's son..since his dumb ass daddy in jail on a B/E. I be damned if I'm going to let my nephew pretty much grow up to be like his dumb-ass daddy...since he has been with me..he seems better adjusted since I moved him out of the Bronx..doing great in school..and all that...there are tons of advertisements that come on tv...but I got him into other things...to occupy his mind like little league baseball, karate, take him just about to every sporting event...

    Point is...teaching him responsibility. Something a lot of parent's don't do in this world...I'm raising him alongside my daughter, with my wife. I tell you
    I see a lot of parents begging pleading with their kids don't matter we go to a ball game, the mall, museum..just makes me sick. I'm like it's a child..not an adult...be the parent.

    As far MJ goes it's not his job to do that...MJ has donated money to charities...so what if he doesn't get on a soapbox and preach this and that...that's what actual black leaders not athletes are supposed to be doing. How would it be if MJ actually has to do the job of Jesse Jackson or Sharpton both of whom I think are sellouts.

  12. #12
    Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,676
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Realz
    I disagree as far as blaming the government for this one. Capitalism is the only system that allows someone to come from nothing to make something of themselves. In other systems your family had better be politically connected, or militarily, because they have a social caste. In American...the dollars...are what make the social caste.

    Government doesn't tell folks to go cop an Iphone when you can get like an LG60 for $50 bucks if that much. Government doesn't tell folks buy $150 sneaks when you can get the $14.98 Starbury's...without capitalism the ability to choose between these choices are not even possible,because what would happen would the person in a position of power would force their brand..only one brand down people's throats. So you might be forced to buy Jordan's...or Marbury's...which would never be good because people deserve the right to choose for themselves.

    Spending does stimulate the economy...it's a fact. Without consumers the economy does not run. No one buying fast food..people lose jobs..the workers...the managers...the people who make the food wrappers..the containers..the people who process the beef...the farmers....it's all connected like that...and you can do this with just about every industry known to man.

    People **** it up and become stupid by not "CONTROLLING THEIR SPENDING" that's the problem of every single individual person. Not the US government.

    People want government to not tell them what to do when it comes to their private lives in matters of sex, religion, politics, health care...yet people want more government involvement in things like economy, safety, spending....can't have it both ways. Either you want the government running your life, or you want them to have as little involvement as possible. People say well government should control somethings...been trying to figure that one out since the inception of this nations as to where that line is drawn...and still no dice.

    This is why I'm a libertarian. Nobody **** with nobody...seems to work very well.
    Spoken like a true capitalist.
    I'm with you partially. Your example of fast food left out one thing, all of those manufacturing jobs, people who make the food wrappers and containers are all in Mexico and China and to small, so call, third world nations because the workers work cheap. Capitalism at it's best and the American worker lose jobs. The Capitalist will never take any personal responsibility. EVER. I'm not saying it's George Bushes fault that people are misinformed. What I am saying is that the government has miss educated most of us in public school. Most graduates haven't been taught how to balance a check book. We are not educated on fiscal responsibility. I've never been off of the east coast so I can only give you the filtered information that I've seen and read on the news about world affairs.

  13. #13
    Member KnicksFan4Realz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by donchris
    Spoken like a true capitalist.

    I'm with you partially. Your example of fast food left out one thing, all of those manufacturing jobs, people who make the food wrappers and containers are all in Mexico and China and to small, so call, third world nations because the workers work cheap. Capitalism at it's best and the American worker lose jobs. The Capitalist will never take any personal responsibility. EVER. I'm not saying it's George Bushes fault that people are misinformed. What I am saying is that the government has miss educated most of us in public school. Most graduates haven't been taught how to balance a check book. We are not educated on fiscal responsibility. I've never been off of the east coast so I can only give you the filtered information that I've seen and read on the news about world affairs.

    My parents did, as far as the manufacturing jobs go...yes in the gaze of a true capitalist they are cheaper and therefore more cost effective. But that's what happens when nations compete economically in relations to trade, production and export. Now as a matter of national security if I were President I would ban..such exportation of jobs at least in that sector...because making sure the US economy is solvent...is extremely vital to US National Security.

    Kind of like using the Commerce Clause to prohibit racism.

  14. #14
    Superstar ShairanXIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    501
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    KnicksFan... I agree with you that there are a lot of irresponsible parents... but just becuase parents are irresponsible doesn't mean we need to ignore simple changes that can help children succeed... ****... I raise my son and daughter the same way... they get told no... are occupied etc... I'm not placing myself or my kids on a pedastal... but we are the exception rather than the rule... two parent household? parents that will make kids earn privileges? god bless you for doing the right thing by your nephew... but there are a lot of bad parents out there and it's unfortunate when the children suffer... not everyone has an uncle and aunt who are willing to step up when their parents suffer...

    so you have a generation of parent less kids raising kids of their own... they never had that example... and pass on the poor morals to their kids... and yes... the government can help in that cause... they shouldn't have to... but this is our reality... governments need to protect their citizens... just like companies can't blatantly use false advertising because of federal guidelines... we can incorporate those guidelines into advertising...

  15. #15
    Member KnicksFan4Realz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Shairan... I hear what you are saying. And it is rather unfortunate that we are the exception to the rule, rather than the standard. I guess what I am saying is no matter how much government intervention you have...people at the end of the day still have to choose for themselves what kinds of persons and parents they wish to be. Now the US government counting really from the 60's really did push folks into being more racially and culturally understanding...however, you have many folks whom were opposed to this and saw this as government interfering in their private lives..now this undoubtedly would happen...the better question that more or less "teaching parenting" to folks...would be to what degree?

    I'm just not sure the government exists to teach morals and ethics.

    Of course what is a government's role then when that which governs the people is not in the best interest of the nation?

    I just hate the idea of teaching one brand of morality, and justice. Because to have a standard something, some school of thought is going to get left out..and of course some thoughts are far better than others. Just not sure as to where we would draw that line...the issue of gays raising kids comes up as why government intervention can be used for the wrong purpose.

    We would need I think a very generic standard of parental conduct to be established. I think we should incorporate means of both light physical punishment and more mental not really to beat, but to mold and "break" if you will...so that they do become more productive adult citizens that are grounded in some kind of ethical and moral boundaries. Of course a government handbook on parenting and discipline is going to be rejected by John and Jane Public who think they know better..and in some instances they may be right...but with all policies such as these one size certainly will not fit all.

    This whole problem I think stems from needing to fix the educational system...this is what I proposed to Congress when I go back from the war...tell me your thoughts..if you please.

Similar Threads

  1. Starbury...what a joke!
    By JerseyCityNETSfan15 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Mar 20, 2006, 08:41
  2. If the Knicks want Brown, get rid of Marbury
    By Cakalusa in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Jul 29, 2005, 21:04
  3. good words from marbury
    By risingknicks20 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Jul 23, 2005, 20:05
  4. Knick Concerns
    By mrj18 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jan 04, 2005, 14:51
  5. newspaper article request
    By NY all day BABY in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec 28, 2004, 12:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •