Curry & Randolph will work! Here's a good reason why...

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
Shot selection shows alot of player tendencies... For example its safe to say that Crawford is a perimeter player and Curry is a low post player. Everyone seems to think that Randolph and Curry are one and the same. Here is one tidbit i found that suggest that is not the case at all....

Eddie Curry's Shot Selection:
http://www.82games.com/0607/06NYK14A.HTM

Basically it shows that Eddie took 79% of his shots from the inside. (add up all his shots, from tip ins, dunks, and inside shots)

Here is Zach Randolph's Shot Selection:
http://www.82games.com/0607/06POR12A.HTM

It shows that 59% of Randolphs shots were jump shots. what i found very surprising is that for someone who averages 10rebs a game, he doesnt have alot of dunks or tip ins.

Tough to make a case that both players are soo similar when more than half of zachs shots came from the perimeter.
Thoughts?

the problem is that while they are not the same player, they both need a lot of touches to be affective. Zach did score 23 pts per last season but he shot just 44%, which isn't all that good for a PF. He is a great free throw shooter and rebounder which compliments Eddy's ability to draw fouls, and his lack of controlling the glass. But the real issue is which one of them is going to take a step back in scoring, they're both coming off their best seasons as pro's. Can they both average 20 pts per game, I'd like to see it happen but how often has two low post players on the same team put up 20 a night? We'll just have to wait and see, it also depends on the other starters in the lineup as well. So I say again.....

Mardy
Q
Balk or Chandler
Z Bo
Eddy

Kiyaman

Legend
Even if the Knicks do work out their offense to be a 100% better than last season the main flaw to their losing so many games stay the same. No Defense and No decent Defenders.

I'm just going to do the Atlantic Division Oposition:

If the Knicks are going to give 30+ MPG to Marbury, Zack, and Curry, with them being on the court alot at the same time (Starters & Finishers).
The Knicks oposition will prevail in Running them. All three has a NBA history of getting back on defense late plus being a poor defender. The Knicks oposition will take full advantage of that by using their running-game in the second half of the game.

Toronto PG-T.J Ford is one of the fastest guards with Peterson running on the right side and Bosh running on the left for the dunk with Curry and Zack running back on defense leaving 7.1 C-Barganni Peremeter shooting open will outscore on the Knicks 3 great offensive players at a rate of 2 to 1 every chance they get.

Nets PG-Kidd with his lob passes off the dribble to a running RJ on the right and a running Kristic on the left with Carter High Flying dunks down the middle or his Peremeter shooting at the key will have Marbury, Zack, and Curry need oxygen mask.

Boston PG-Rondo will Run the ball down court so fast with Al Jefferson on his tail for the dunk or Kill the Knicks Offensive three by kicking it out to Ray Allen or Pierce to Bury the Knicks from the peremeter in the 2nd half of every game.

Philly is the only team the Knicks should be able to beat by 20 or more points a game their PG sucks, but always have a great game against Marbury, and C-Dalembert seems like the only two players in the league he like to embarrased is BIG Z and Curry. So even Philly have a 50-50 chance vs the Knicks.

And thats just the Atlantic Division. Practically every Team knows how to out beat Isiah Thomas "SAVE-FACE" coaching style, that is why so many Knick-Fans want David Lee to get 30 MPG this upcoming season. Well Knick-Fans you better include 20+ MPG from Balkman, Nate, and Rookie Nichols off the bench for that unexpected depth in the second & 3rd quarter.

reuel

Rookie
The day after the randolph trade happens, stephan A. was talking about how this trade will work. unless the knicks are playing big half court teams, which there aren't much of in the NBA, Curry and Randolph should be sharing 48 minutes of a game, where u will have a big man who can score in the post for just about every minute of a game. You pair Curry and Lee, Randolph and Balkman, so now you always have rebounding, scoring, and energy on the floor for 48 mins.

Even if the Knicks do work out their offense to be a 100% better than last season the main flaw to their losing so many games stay the same. No Defense and No decent Defenders.

I'm just going to do the Atlantic Division Oposition:

If the Knicks are going to give 30+ MPG to Marbury, Zack, and Curry, with them being on the court alot at the same time (Starters & Finishers).
The Knicks oposition will prevail in Running them. All three has a NBA history of getting back on defense late plus being a poor defender. The Knicks oposition will take full advantage of that by using their running-game in the second half of the game.

Toronto PG-T.J Ford is one of the fastest guards with Peterson running on the right side and Bosh running on the left for the dunk with Curry and Zack running back on defense leaving 7.1 C-Barganni Peremeter shooting open will outscore on the Knicks 3 great offensive players at a rate of 2 to 1 every chance they get.

Nets PG-Kidd with his lob passes off the dribble to a running RJ on the right and a running Kristic on the left with Carter High Flying dunks down the middle or his Peremeter shooting at the key will have Marbury, Zack, and Curry need oxygen mask.

Boston PG-Rondo will Run the ball down court so fast with Al Jefferson on his tail for the dunk or Kill the Knicks Offensive three by kicking it out to Ray Allen or Pierce to Bury the Knicks from the peremeter in the 2nd half of every game.

Philly is the only team the Knicks should be able to beat by 20 or more points a game their PG sucks, but always have a great game against Marbury, and C-Dalembert seems like the only two players in the league he like to embarrased is BIG Z and Curry. So even Philly have a 50-50 chance vs the Knicks.

And thats just the Atlantic Division. Practically every Team knows how to out beat Isiah Thomas "SAVE-FACE" coaching style, that is why so many Knick-Fans want David Lee to get 30 MPG this upcoming season. Well Knick-Fans you better include 20+ MPG from Balkman, Nate, and Rookie Nichols off the bench for that unexpected depth in the second & 3rd quarter.

Philly's PG sucks?! Andre Miller is one of the purest PG in the league. I don't disagree with some of your points, but you make it seems as if every team in the league beats every team they match up better than on paper, really if all you posted was true then the Knicks should have the worst Division record of any team in the history of the league. Again I never want to ever just shoot down anyone's opinion, but your saying the Zach acqusition made us a much worst team. The Knicks will give each Atlantic team all they can handle next season (not just Philly). I again think that this lineup has it's flaws but to say we can't match up with anyone is a bit of a stretch.

Kiyaman

Legend
The day after the randolph trade happens, stephan A. was talking about how this trade will work. unless the knicks are playing big half court teams, which there aren't much of in the NBA, Curry and Randolph should be sharing 48 minutes of a game, where u will have a big man who can score in the post for just about every minute of a game. You pair Curry and Lee, Randolph and Balkman, so now you always have rebounding, scoring, and energy on the floor for 48 mins.

Wazup Reuel, Using a lineup of Curry & Lee, and Zack & Balkman is great, I would rather see you coach this Knick team than Zeke next season. Because I see alot of better Frontcourt Tandems on this Knick Roster than the Curry & Zack Tandem.
Zeke has let the New York media coach for him last season. When the score is tied at the end of the 3rd quarter, Zeke wont care what Knick Player is hot with the next Knick Player he will put Curry, Zack, and Marbury on the court the majority of the 4th quarter. Zeke dont like the BIG New York Media asking him why he sat Marbury or Curry, or Zack the entire 4th quarter.
Zeke High Contract "SAVE-FACE" Coaching is just as bad as Larry Brown Veteran Players only coaching.

Philly's PG sucks?! Andre Miller is one of the purest PG in the league. I don't disagree with some of your points, but you make it seems as if every team in the league beats every team they match up better than on paper, really if all you posted was true then the Knicks should have the worst Division record of any team in the history of the league. Again I never want to ever just shoot down anyone's opinion, but your saying the Zach acqusition made us a much worst team. The Knicks will give each Atlantic team all they can handle next season (not just Philly). I again think that this lineup has it's flaws but to say we can't match up with anyone is a bit of a stretch.

Wazup Advocate, Andre Miller is the most inconsistent PG in the NBA (Clippers, Nuggets, and 76ers). He never shows up in any big game.
Zeke has shown repeatedly that he dont know how to coach Curry, Lee, Frye, or Balkman. And if Zeke use that "SAVE-FACE" coaching method again this season the Knicks will be looking at another 23 or 33 WIN Season.
Zeke invested alot of money in Jerome James, Jared Jefferies, Malik Rose, Q.Rich, Crawford, Marbury, Curry, and Zack. That is 8 Players with expensive contracts.
How much of the above 8 expensive Players Playingtime will Zeke bumb-off for David Lee, Balkman, Morris, Collins, Nate, Nichols, or Chandelor???

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
Wazup Reuel, Using a lineup of Curry & Lee, and Zack & Balkman is great, I would rather see you coach this Knick team than Zeke next season. Because I see alot of better Frontcourt Tandems on this Knick Roster than the Curry & Zack Tandem.
Zeke has let the New York media coach for him last season. When the score is tied at the end of the 3rd quarter, Zeke wont care what Knick Player is hot with the next Knick Player he will put Curry, Zack, and Marbury on the court the majority of the 4th quarter. Zeke dont like the BIG New York Media asking him why he sat Marbury or Curry, or Zack the entire 4th quarter.
Zeke High Contract "SAVE-FACE" Coaching is just as bad as Larry Brown Veteran Players only coaching.

Wazup Advocate, Andre Miller is the most inconsistent PG in the NBA (Clippers, Nuggets, and 76ers). He never shows up in any big game.
Zeke has shown repeatedly that he dont know how to coach Curry, Lee, Frye, or Balkman. And if Zeke use that "SAVE-FACE" coaching method again this season the Knicks will be looking at another 23 or 33 WIN Season.
Zeke invested alot of money in Jerome James, Jared Jefferies, Malik Rose, Q.Rich, Crawford, Marbury, Curry, and Zack. That is 8 Players with expensive contracts.
How much of the above 8 expensive Players Playingtime will Zeke bumb-off for David Lee, Balkman, Morris, Collins, Nate, Nichols, or Chandelor???

He's one of the few people who actaully believed in curry even after his putrid play of 05-06. Last yr he said b4 the season that this is Eddie Curry's team and made sure that steph was on the same page. Steph made the adjustment, struggled in the 1st half of the season, then played very well untill he got hurt.
LB played Lee at the 3 75% of the time, that was a failure. Isiah put him at the 4 and sparingly at the 3 depending of the match up and look how Lee responded.
No one expected Balkman to just walk into the court as a rookie and impress anyone. Injuries to Q and Lee, bad play from jeffries, gave Balkman the oppurtunity to show what he's got. Its easy to say Isiah doesnt know how to coach these players when u forget that it was him that brought these young players in with his drafting. Isiah gave balkman a shot, and he responded well, now its safe to say that balkman is ahead of jeffries in the depth chart.
His GM moves, FA signings, trades havent been the best, but he isnt a terrible head coach, there arent many coaches out there that get the respect from his players the way isiah does.
After the 05-06 this team was lost, we had no offensive focal point untill isiah put pressure on curry to take over this team (atleast on the offensive end).
Isiah has done some bad things, but hes done some good too. We are in much better shape (talent wise) then we were only 4 yrs ago. Remember that b4 u get all crazy with bashing isiah. Scott Layden might make a comeback.

pat

Starter
How do Zach's free throw abilities compliment Eddy's ability to draw fouls? Just a quick reminder: The refs won't allow Zach to shoot Eddy's free throws. ;)

reuel

Rookie
How do Zach's free throw abilities compliment Eddy's ability to draw fouls? Just a quick reminder: The refs won't allow Zach to shoot Eddy's free throws. ;)

Same thing i thought. i mean i took it that he meant they both are gonna get to the line now, since the both shoot a fairly good percentage from the line

Same thing i thought. i mean i took it that he meant they both are gonna get to the line now, since the both shoot a fairly good percentage from the line

What I shouldv'e said was Zach's free throw shooting will compliment Eddy's ability to get us in the bonus. Yeah I can see how that may have sounded stupid. But my thinking is Eddy post play draws fouls, and then it makes Zach's free throw shooting more of an asset.

Eastern Conf GM'S Quivered...

When they heard that news draft day. Zeke, for lal the bashing he takes, seems to get players like Curry and Crawford to buy into his way of things. When so called great coaches like Larry Clown, sets an nba record for starting lineups ( You live here? Oh man, it's your turn to start! :) And the likes could not get anything out of them.

So if anyone can make Zach and Curry work it's Zeke. Plus, if you look at his offense, he always had it centered around two post players anyways, Hence Lee almost leading the league in fg percentage. If they doubled Eddie, they went back to him, if he kicked it again, it usually swung around to Lee or Frye. Problem was, Frye has no post game yet, and Lee needs to build his strength to be even more effective.

Zach has the mid range touch, and can put the ball on the floor more effectively than any pf now in the east. This means he has everything the other big in Zekes offense needs. Also, it means these teams can't cheat as much. Now it's no more throw 6 fouls on Eddie and have the other big man gaurd someone non descript. uhn- uhn. Now the Bosh's, the Oneal's , and whoever els eplays pf and center in the east will have to deal with Both Curry and Zach on their own. Everynight. No more Howard on Frye... or Lee. Now you have to defend the frontline without rest. Problems.

nyk_nyk

All Star
When they heard that news draft day. Zeke, for lal the bashing he takes, seems to get players like Curry and Crawford to buy into his way of things. When so called great coaches like Larry Clown, sets an nba record for starting lineups ( You live here? Oh man, it's your turn to start! :) And the likes could not get anything out of them.

So if anyone can make Zach and Curry work it's Zeke. Plus, if you look at his offense, he always had it centered around two post players anyways, Hence Lee almost leading the league in fg percentage. If they doubled Eddie, they went back to him, if he kicked it again, it usually swung around to Lee or Frye. Problem was, Frye has no post game yet, and Lee needs to build his strength to be even more effective.

Zach has the mid range touch, and can put the ball on the floor more effectively than any pf now in the east. This means he has everything the other big in Zekes offense needs. Also, it means these teams can't cheat as much. Now it's no more throw 6 fouls on Eddie and have the other big man gaurd someone non descript. uhn- uhn. Now the Bosh's, the Oneal's , and whoever els eplays pf and center in the east will have to deal with Both Curry and Zach on their own. Everynight. No more Howard on Frye... or Lee. Now you have to defend the frontline without rest. Problems.
It's true that Zeke is the guy to make this work, but I don't think he always centered his offense around 2 post players. If anything, Zeke went for a well balanced offense with the first option being Curry. Now, 2 great post players coupled with good perimeter shooters means that teams have no choice but to be honest on defense.

I also agree that Zach has a perimeter game. This is important in terms of spacing between him and Curry. The thing I didn't like about Frye was that his perimeter game was great but he failed to use any of his size to score in the post. I'm sure EC and ZR will draw plenty of fouls every night and be successful playing together.

yeah I did notice in a couple of games when they would try to force the ball into Frye, and he just couldn't convert. I want this to work out, because this could be the most potent Knick front court attack ever.....but it could very well end up Steph and Steve part 2. Now to the credit of Eddy and Zach both of these players are more coachable than Steve Francis, and neither of them have seemed to develope an ego, but it again comes down to one of them wanting to do the dirty work, rebounding, weak side help, and just overall presence on the defensive end. I would like to see ( and for some reason think is more realistic) it be Eddy. Eddy has said he knows he needs to work on his D, and if he's working hard this off season, I can't think of anything better for him to work on, that and his passing out of doubles. Bottom line Eddy has averaged over a block a game before in his career ( 2nd season) and it comes down to him wanting to prove to the league he's a real talent, not just a scorer. We'll just have to wait and see. Hey atleast we don't speak of Zach's off the court issues anymore

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Many of you may disagree because the media has control over popular opinion in NY but Thomas is the best 'coach' we've had in the last 5 years. The fact the he brought each and every player together here is reason enough for him to bring this team to the play offs. I believe he will, as do most of us. We can't talk about chemistry and talk about changing coaches at the same time. The two clash. The people that will tell you that Randolph is all offense will tell you the same about Marbury. This is false. Randolph is a rebounding machine. How can this be a bad thing? Because he's not Tim Duncan? At this point I'm more concerned about Curry stepping up than Randolph but I think it will work.

It's true that Zeke is the guy to make this work, but I don't think he always centered his offense around 2 post players. If anything, Zeke went for a well balanced offense with the first option being Curry. Now, 2 great post players coupled with good perimeter shooters means that teams have no choice but to be honest on defense.

I also agree that Zach has a perimeter game. This is important in terms of spacing between him and Curry. The thing I didn't like about Frye was that his perimeter game was great but he failed to use any of his size to score in the post. I'm sure EC and ZR will draw plenty of fouls every night and be successful playing together.

Zeke had Jermaine Oneal and Brad Miller both make the all star team same year. Curry is miles ahead of Miller offensively, and Zbo can Match Oneal as well. No reason these two can't co exist....

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i hope the knick players are practicing there FTs because wit randolph and curry on the team the knicks will be shooting alot of FTs wit the opposing team in the penalty very early

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Brad Miller isn't as close as to being dominant in the post as Zach and Eddy are. Brad Miller had that set jumper from the outside and had 3pt shooting capabilities. Zach doesn't shoot too many 3's if at all and if Curry doesn't develop that mid-range J like what Isiah promised then the lane will be clogged, double teams will ran toward the post and our 3pt shooters will be forced to knock down open shots. If this is the case then possilby one of them could be all-stars...I don't see both of them going...it's possible but I don't see it happening.

Brad Miller isn't as close as to being dominant in the post as Zach and Eddy are. Brad Miller had that set jumper from the outside and had 3pt shooting capabilities. Zach doesn't shoot too many 3's if at all and if Curry doesn't develop that mid-range J like what Isiah promised then the lane will be clogged, double teams will ran toward the post and our 3pt shooters will be forced to knock down open shots. If this is the case then possilby one of them could be all-stars...I don't see both of them going...it's possible but I don't see it happening.

Point is Curry is the main post guy, and Zach can play in the post or wing. So in effect, Curry would be Oneal, and Zach would be Miller. Zach is even in better position because unlike Miller he can put the ball on the floor and has many, many post moves. I wonder how many people have seen Zach play a lot when they say the lane will be clogged... he does not start in the post at all in a lot of his game. He ends up there from his ball handling. Very crafty offensive player Zach is.

He will basically do what Channing and Lee did... play high post. Cept when he gets the ball, he can shoot or put it on the floor... unlike Frye who often settled just for the jimmy.

Main thing this means is that teams will not be able to double team Curry. And that is an awful problem to have because he cannot be stopped alone. Period.