Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Dick Vitale wants rule change in Basketball

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member GiantsKnickFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Dick Vitale wants rule change in Basketball

    Dick Vitale on the radio/tv on ESPN's morning show Mike & Mike in the morning.

    He said that basketball is the only sport where the referee can affect a players time on the court. What he said is that if a ref wanted to hypothetically whistle one player 2 quick fouls in consecutive situation, that player usually gets sent to the bench, if he doesnt he can stay in the game untill 6 fouls.
    He suggested that their be a rule change that allow players to get fouls and stay on the court. It would be a "penalty" like in football, 2 foul shots and possesion if a player gets more than 6 fouls. Basically making it endless fouls, ALTHOUGH, each player is given 6 fouls with out being in the penalty to his team.

    I like this idea becuase in football, one player can make 100 penalties and teams would only subsitute them for game performance not becuase of a possibility of being completely out the game.
    The NBA hates to change its rules but lets see if this gets any noise....

    Anyone thinks this is a good idea?
    I kinda like it.

  2. #2
    Member KnicksFan4Realz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I don't know...it's a good idea. It really is...but it changes the complexion of the game more because you still 9/10 got that teams ACE on the floor.

    And it's only if HE commits a foul...now if you were to say as long as he is on the court...any player on that team commits a foul in the penalty or not...they get 2 free throws and the ball...then I'd go along with it...because in that situation it's supposed to be more risk than reward.

  3. #3
    Your Best Bet is B Ez datruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    1,553
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    i'll like dat rule but theres only 1 problem wit dat rule and thats when a team needs to foul because the game clock is running down

  4. #4
    Member GiantsKnickFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by datruth
    i'll like dat rule but theres only 1 problem wit dat rule and thats when a team needs to foul because the game clock is running down
    I dont see how that would be a problem. If u need to stop the clock u foul. If the player who fouls already has 6 fouls then they recieve 2 free throws and possesions. its actaully good that way, whoever has 6 fouls would have no choice but not to foul intentionally

  5. #5
    Superstar ShairanXIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    501
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    but then guys would start fouling with impunity once the team was in the penalty (or double bonus)... we'd see a lot more dirty fouls because of it... guys like Bowen and Ginobli would flip guys because they wouldn't get ejected and it's an effective way to keep people from scoring...

    What happens when Kobe or Amare (or even Steph) gets fed with being fouled hard and starts wildn' out... it's a good rule in theory... but Dicky V is a moron sometimes... College players foul out too... it's just basketball... not solely an NBA thing...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    245
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by ShairanXIII
    but then guys would start fouling with impunity once the team was in the penalty (or double bonus)... we'd see a lot more dirty fouls because of it... guys like Bowen and Ginobli would flip guys because they wouldn't get ejected and it's an effective way to keep people from scoring...

    What happens when Kobe or Amare (or even Steph) gets fed with being fouled hard and starts wildn' out... it's a good rule in theory... but Dicky V is a moron sometimes... College players foul out too... it's just basketball... not solely an NBA thing...
    I think in that propostion the ref could still disqualify a player for two flagrents or one serious flagrant, so while a player can rack up ten fouls, two flagrents and two techs still gets him tossed. Phil Jackson actually proposed this idea in his book about his last season with the Lakers ( Shaq, Kobe, Malone, Payton)

  7. #7
    Your Best Bet is B Ez datruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    1,553
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by GiantsKnickFan
    I dont see how that would be a problem. If u need to stop the clock u foul. If the player who fouls already has 6 fouls then they recieve 2 free throws and possesions. its actaully good that way, whoever has 6 fouls would have no choice but not to foul intentionally
    hell yeah thats a problem cuz teams foul hoping the opposing team is gonna miss and they get the rebound and score quick, wit this rule, this pretty much no point of fouling cuz u not gettin the ball if u keep fouling, this makes the team who's down in a position where they have to get a steal

  8. #8
    Member GiantsKnickFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by datruth
    hell yeah thats a problem cuz teams foul hoping the opposing team is gonna miss and they get the rebound and score quick, wit this rule, this pretty much no point of fouling cuz u not gettin the ball if u keep fouling, this makes the team who's down in a position where they have to get a steal
    I think theres some misunderstanding. Its not about the team being in the penalty. Its the player. The rules for fouls will stay the same 5 team fouls, 6 personal fouls. BUT instead of a player being ejected (or fouled out) whenever that one player commits his 7th foul, the team is rewarded by 2 shots AND possesion.
    The whole point is that basketball is the only sport where the refs can affect a players time on the floor.
    NOW, the way to limit and curb this is that it is the COACH's discretion to keep that player with 6 fouls on the floor. He can just as easily take him out if he recieves his 6th foul, but if he so choses to keep him in, he understands the rules against his team if that player goes over 6th foul.
    No coach is going to want to give up 2 shots and possesion, but he can still have his best players on the floor whenever the coach WANTS to. and thats the point.

  9. #9
    Member brooklyn_baller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    321
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    All I know is that David Stern better do something about that problem. Come up with a new rule or something.

  10. #10
    Superstar ShairanXIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    501
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Yo... Bill Russell won 11 chips and the refs had the power to take him out the game... Horry got 7... Mike won 6... Magic got 5... Duncan and Shaq got 4... Bird and Kobe got 3... We got 2... DWade got 1...

    both teams are affected by the ref... yet some players push their teams to greater heights... do the refs influence the game? yeah... but ALL refs do... winners make adjustments... loosers make excuses...

Similar Threads

  1. What's Wrong With The League 2
    By ShairanXIII in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: Jun 19, 2007, 11:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •