Dick Vitale wants rule change in Basketball

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
Dick Vitale on the radio/tv on ESPN's morning show Mike & Mike in the morning.

He said that basketball is the only sport where the referee can affect a players time on the court. What he said is that if a ref wanted to hypothetically whistle one player 2 quick fouls in consecutive situation, that player usually gets sent to the bench, if he doesnt he can stay in the game untill 6 fouls.
He suggested that their be a rule change that allow players to get fouls and stay on the court. It would be a "penalty" like in football, 2 foul shots and possesion if a player gets more than 6 fouls. Basically making it endless fouls, ALTHOUGH, each player is given 6 fouls with out being in the penalty to his team.

I like this idea becuase in football, one player can make 100 penalties and teams would only subsitute them for game performance not becuase of a possibility of being completely out the game.
The NBA hates to change its rules but lets see if this gets any noise....

Anyone thinks this is a good idea?
I kinda like it.

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
I don't know...it's a good idea. It really is...but it changes the complexion of the game more because you still 9/10 got that teams ACE on the floor.

And it's only if HE commits a foul...now if you were to say as long as he is on the court...any player on that team commits a foul in the penalty or not...they get 2 free throws and the ball...then I'd go along with it...because in that situation it's supposed to be more risk than reward.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i'll like dat rule but theres only 1 problem wit dat rule and thats when a team needs to foul because the game clock is running down

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
i'll like dat rule but theres only 1 problem wit dat rule and thats when a team needs to foul because the game clock is running down

I dont see how that would be a problem. If u need to stop the clock u foul. If the player who fouls already has 6 fouls then they recieve 2 free throws and possesions. its actaully good that way, whoever has 6 fouls would have no choice but not to foul intentionally

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
but then guys would start fouling with impunity once the team was in the penalty (or double bonus)... we'd see a lot more dirty fouls because of it... guys like Bowen and Ginobli would flip guys because they wouldn't get ejected and it's an effective way to keep people from scoring...

What happens when Kobe or Amare (or even Steph) gets fed with being fouled hard and starts wildn' out... it's a good rule in theory... but Dicky V is a moron sometimes... College players foul out too... it's just basketball... not solely an NBA thing...

but then guys would start fouling with impunity once the team was in the penalty (or double bonus)... we'd see a lot more dirty fouls because of it... guys like Bowen and Ginobli would flip guys because they wouldn't get ejected and it's an effective way to keep people from scoring...

What happens when Kobe or Amare (or even Steph) gets fed with being fouled hard and starts wildn' out... it's a good rule in theory... but Dicky V is a moron sometimes... College players foul out too... it's just basketball... not solely an NBA thing...

I think in that propostion the ref could still disqualify a player for two flagrents or one serious flagrant, so while a player can rack up ten fouls, two flagrents and two techs still gets him tossed. Phil Jackson actually proposed this idea in his book about his last season with the Lakers ( Shaq, Kobe, Malone, Payton)

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
flipping was too harsh a situation then... but look at the kicking, tripping, elbows, foot plants, low bridges, blind shots, etc... the spurs play with now... that's with the knowledge that they CAN foul out... how many more blatant fouls will there be if a guy knows the only penalty is extra free throws?

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
I dont see how that would be a problem. If u need to stop the clock u foul. If the player who fouls already has 6 fouls then they recieve 2 free throws and possesions. its actaully good that way, whoever has 6 fouls would have no choice but not to foul intentionally

hell yeah thats a problem cuz teams foul hoping the opposing team is gonna miss and they get the rebound and score quick, wit this rule, this pretty much no point of fouling cuz u not gettin the ball if u keep fouling, this makes the team who's down in a position where they have to get a steal

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
hell yeah thats a problem cuz teams foul hoping the opposing team is gonna miss and they get the rebound and score quick, wit this rule, this pretty much no point of fouling cuz u not gettin the ball if u keep fouling, this makes the team who's down in a position where they have to get a steal

I think theres some misunderstanding. Its not about the team being in the penalty. Its the player. The rules for fouls will stay the same 5 team fouls, 6 personal fouls. BUT instead of a player being ejected (or fouled out) whenever that one player commits his 7th foul, the team is rewarded by 2 shots AND possesion.
The whole point is that basketball is the only sport where the refs can affect a players time on the floor.
NOW, the way to limit and curb this is that it is the COACH's discretion to keep that player with 6 fouls on the floor. He can just as easily take him out if he recieves his 6th foul, but if he so choses to keep him in, he understands the rules against his team if that player goes over 6th foul.
No coach is going to want to give up 2 shots and possesion, but he can still have his best players on the floor whenever the coach WANTS to. and thats the point.

Trin_Starr

Starter
No coach is going to want to give up 2 shots and possesion, but he can still have his best players on the floor whenever the coach WANTS to. and thats the point.

This is being done to prevent Referees from taking out a team's star player but it can make things worse for the team...

If a ref really wants to screw over a team - he can call a phantom call on a player with 6 fouls and then the opposing team has an opportunity for a 4pt play....

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
This is being done to prevent Referees from taking out a team's star player but it can make things worse for the team...

If a ref really wants to screw over a team - he can call a phantom call on a player with 6 fouls and then the opposing team has an opportunity for a 4pt play....

I would find it obvious that the player with 6 fouls gets singled out more than the other 4 with less than 6 fouls.
im not saying its perfect but things need to be reconsidered to the way it is now.

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
My point is that baskeball is the only sport where a player HAS to be subsituted becuase of a possible ejection of the game becuase of a penalty.
Football, baseball you keep our teams best players on the field regardless. Subsitutions in those sports happen for rest or strategic purposes. In the NBA, an outside element is affecting ur ablity to keep the best playeres who have on the court when u want to.... Thats y i think its deeply flawed when its a competition.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
I hear you about the differences... but I dunno man... you've prolly been playing/following ball for most of your life, same as me... fouling out is part of the game on all levels... it can be a strategic tactic for teams as well... i don't see it as weakening competition... yeah... fouling out sucks... especially when the ref is being an a**hole... but a) your coach has to monitor that kinda situation... and b) you have to know how to play when you're racking them up...

I see it as a strategic tool unique to this sport... I wouldn't wanna change that aspect... besides... wouldn't you miss "Hit the Road Jack" everytime an enemy fouls out? or "Na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na, hey hey hey, goodbye"... can't hate the classics...

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
I hear you about the differences... but I dunno man... you've prolly been playing/following ball for most of your life, same as me... fouling out is part of the game on all levels... it can be a strategic tactic for teams as well... i don't see it as weakening competition... yeah... fouling out sucks... especially when the ref is being an a**hole... but a) your coach has to monitor that kinda situation... and b) you have to know how to play when you're racking them up...

I see it as a strategic tool unique to this sport... I wouldn't wanna change that aspect... besides... wouldn't you miss "Hit the Road Jack" everytime an enemy fouls out? or "Na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na, hey hey hey, goodbye"... can't hate the classics...

I think its unfair to give the refs power to affect a players time on the field. Refs are supposed to be an outside element, not one that u have to strategize for.

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
I just thought about how this is already in the game.

If you have players that get 6 fouls..and you have no one left on your bench...the same thing happens already...

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Yo... Bill Russell won 11 chips and the refs had the power to take him out the game... Horry got 7... Mike won 6... Magic got 5... Duncan and Shaq got 4... Bird and Kobe got 3... We got 2... DWade got 1...

both teams are affected by the ref... yet some players push their teams to greater heights... do the refs influence the game? yeah... but ALL refs do... winners make adjustments... loosers make excuses...

pat

Starter
fouling out is part of the game on all levels... it can be a strategic tactic for teams as well... i don't see it as weakening competition

This is so true: Changing the rule would change the character of the game to much. If you are a low post player and you get beaten all night all night, all you are waiting for is the time when your opponent runs out of fouls to give. This rule would be a disaster for players like Shaq, Curry, and Howard.

I also complain that they should simply start hitting free throws but this rule change would punish them twice and cause more injuries.