Knicks charity event with Tel Aviv Maccabi

I saw an ad on the Knicks site for an exhibition game with Israel's top team, the Tel Aviv Maccabi Elite:

www.nba.com/knicks/tickets/tix_maccabi.html

First, I thought it was cool because I like to see more international competition. Then I read that it was a charity event supporting new immigrants to Israel. I don't necessarily have issues with the cause, but why should the NBA be giving charity to other countries, especially new immigrants to Israel, which is has experienced great econ development in recent years and receives so much US aid anyway, while blacks within a few minutes of the Garden still suffer in poverty and violence-plagued communities?

I think the proceeds should be split three way: 1) to the Israeli charity; 2) to a charity that works in poor communities in NY; and 3) to a Palestinian charity.

Also

I just want to say that I'm an African American. I have nothing against Jewish people. My wife is, in fact, Jewish. But I do believe that the proceeds should be distributed, rather than exclusively going to help immigrants to Israel. Both Blacks and Palestinians are communities in great need. I find it strange that this game will be going to help new Russian immigrants to Israel.