Jermaine Oneal

I started the summer off hoping that Jermaine Oneal would be reunited with Isiah and would be teaming up with Eddy on the frontcourt, which on paper looks better than he and Zach. But that's not how it worked out and we landed a pretty nice consolation price in Zach. Now it looks as if he will be headed to NJ or LA. So as Knick fans if he lands in the Atlantic with NJ are we scared? Does this make the trade for Artest a little more of an neccesity? and should we also pushing for him (J. Oneil) to go out West in hopes of Zach becoming an All Star in the East

Question 1: Should we be scared of him landing in the Atlantic

Answer (in my opinion ofcourse): Heck Yes! and it is only because it would be J. Kidd running the show. J Kidd, Vince, and Oneil ( looks like Jefferson and Kritic would be headed to Indy in the proposed deal) would be a greater trio than what Boston has, and probably better than the whole East. Again it's all because of J. Kidd, he makes C players in this league like Collins, Schalabreine, and Miki Morre look like legit players, while making players lilke Kerry Kittles and Kenyon Martin into All Stars. He rejuvinated Vince's career, and would turn Oneil into a MVP canidate again.

Question 2: Does this make the Trade for Ron a neccesity?

Answer: Yes and No......I mean it can be argued that even with the move the C's made that we are the most talanted team in the Atlantic because the C's lack of depth, but that wouldn't be the case with NJ, they would have a very talanted starting group, J.Kidd Vince Maglore and Oneil. and they do have a couple players off the bench who can back them up. So having said that then I think we would need to make a major upgrade to our roster to keep pace w/ the other teams in our conference. Out biggest (and seriously maybe our only) gap to fill is our perimeter D, needless to say Ron would fill that gap and then some. But then there is the whole chemistry issue, this is still a young team and anytime there is a major addittion to a team with such a young core then often it sets a team back intially. so now you're talking about adding Zach and Ron to this team, I think it's not realistic to expect the same sucess that the C's and NJ would have with their acqusitions. To some it up....we need Ron regardless, but it won't make us instantly better like Oneil to NJ or KG and Ray to the C's

Question 3: If Oneil ends up out West is Zach an All Star in the East?

KG is a lock, he'll make it just off of popularity. Then there is Chris Bosh and Zach, Chris isn't popular enough with the fans to be voted on for sure, and depending on the Raptors record will determine if he makes off the coaches votes, same exact thing can be said for Zach, in fact last season the lack of Blazer sucess is the only reason Zach wasn't an All Star or ALL NBA 3rd teamer. So if we win he and possible even Eddy are doing us proud next Feb.

I think that we have nothing to worry about in J.Oneal he is and always be injury prone. That said I also think we could wait a year for Ron Ron we have Balkman,Q,and if we don't dump him J.Jeffries. I think we should be going out and trying to get Marcus Camby another D.Lee athletic,rebounding,defencive minded player oh yeah and with camby some defence in the paint so even if New Jersey gets J.Oneal and that Bosten has K.G. we would match up just fine with either of them.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
If Oneal becomes a Net we should be very worried. Don't forget about Jamaal Magloire. He was recently signed by the Nets and would make for a pretty scary frontcourt combined with Oneal. If that happens then our chances of making the playoffs, much less winning the Atlantic, becomes very slim.

Getting Ron Ron would become a necessity for the Knicks to survive. Although Balkman is a good player, he is no Artest, and Q. Rich has too many back issues to be considered dependable at the SF position.

As for your 3rd question, Zach will probably be an All-Star by default if Oneal goes out West. I can't think of any other decent PFs in the East (what position does Bosh play?). If Oneal stays in the East, then I don't think Zach will be an All-Star. With Eddy being the focal point for the Knicks offense, look for Zach's numbers to drop significantly. And to be honest, I still have serious doubts as to whether or not the Eddy and Zach experiment will work at all. I have hope.

Last edited:

BleedOrangeAndBlue

Benchwarmer
Come on knick fans why is every body worried about what all these other wack teams is doing. I think that we are a solid team and could advance out of the east. People are forgetting that last year after all the injuries our bench was the starting 5 and we were still in contention.Knicks have a strong starting 5 and we have the best bench in the NBA.Are u guys forgetting who advanced out of the east last year? It was the bullsh!t cavs, sorry for cursing. I think that our team is way better than cleveland.

1.Marbury > 1.Snow or Gibson
2.Crawford > 2.Hughes
3.Richardson < 3.James
4.Randolph > 4.Gooden
5.Curry > 5.Illgauskas

WOW THEY ARE BETTER THAN US AT ONE POSISTION!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Yea most definitely can take Cleveland. But our interior defense won't stop LBJ and I would say Hughes is better than Crawford. Good post

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
The Nets and Celtics are already better than us... Adding JO and subtracting RJ rids the Nets of a warrior and adds another soft talented player (I'm looking at you Vince)... I think NJ can make the best offer, so unless Bird wants to intentionally improve LA, he's trading him to NJ...

We can still win the division because of our depth, but we need to play to the best of our abilities to make the playoffs regardless... the East has been rebuilding for a decade now... and our resurgence is coming... everyone will have to fight to get in...

and the Cavs made it in cuz they had two easy opponents... before the Pistons and Spurs...

BleedOrangeAndBlue

Benchwarmer
The Nets and Celtics are already better than us... Adding JO and subtracting RJ rids the Nets of a warrior and adds another soft talented player (I'm looking at you Vince)... I think NJ can make the best offer, so unless Bird wants to intentionally improve LA, he's trading him to NJ...

We can still win the division because of our depth, but we need to play to the best of our abilities to make the playoffs regardless... the East has been rebuilding for a decade now... and our resurgence is coming... everyone will have to fight to get in...

and the Cavs made it in cuz they had two easy opponents... before the Pistons and Spurs...

How can you say that the nets are already better than us, and then say that cleveland had two easy opponets before the pistons and spurs.The nets were one of those opponets, so this means u r telling me that if the knicks team that we have now played cleveland in the 06-07 playoffs we would have lost.

I dont think so!!

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
ummm... Kristic and Boone were hurt most of the year... Kristic was out during the entire playoffs... WAS was missing Butler and Arenas... so cleveland played WAS backups in the first round and the injured Nets in the second round... If NJ had Kristic during last playoffs, they woulda beaten Cle...

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
As for your 3rd question, Zach will probably be an All-Star by default if Oneal goes out West. I can't think of any other decent PFs in the East (what position does Bosh play?). If Oneal stays in the East, then I don't think Zach will be an All-Star. With Eddy being the focal point for the Knicks offense, look for Zach's numbers to drop significantly. And to be honest, I still have serious doubts as to whether or not the Eddy and Zach experiment will work at all. I have hope.

dwight? rasheed? jamison? z-bos not a lock and a lot of people probably resent his bad boy image.

dwight? rasheed? jamison? z-bos not a lock and a lot of people probably resent his bad boy image.

Dwight is a Center, Jamison is more of a SF who can slide to the 4 from time to time, and Rasheed although he's cleaned up his act somewhat since becoming a Piston still has a bit of a Bad Boy image to shed, getting ejected in game 6 of the Conference Semis is a great indication of this. Zach is a virtual lock if Jermaine heads out West barring any unsuspected player having a break out season, or a trade that lands another player like Garnett in the East, but I'll say it again if the Knicks are a few games above .500 come Feb he's in, if we are few games below, then I doubt it.

Kiyaman

Legend
Looking at the Atlantic Division this Offseason after the KG trade the NETS seem to have the boost over every Atlantic Division team. The Nets have a healthy C/F-Kristic back in their lineup with the new addition of Big Body Magloire at Center. And we can not forget the Nets Draft pick of Athletic 6.10 Sean Williams (Rodman) on the Boards, with an upcomming second season Star Player in PG/SG-Marcus Williams off the bench to add some deep depth in the backcourt of Kidd & Carter. The Nets are a Monster Team right now that will WIN the majority of games in the Atlantic Division mainly for their meshing-Chemistry in the Frontcourt & Backcourt on both sides of the court.

I would be gloating BIGTIME if the Knicks got J.O'Neal instead of Zack Randolph. J.O'Neal adds a DEFENSE in his performance that is much more outstanding than his 20-10 stat. And if Playing for Coach Isiah Thomas and Mark Aquire you can count on 75 games played each regular season by J.O'Neal with a healthy jump start each Postseason from him.
But we got Zack Randolph which is a big question mark this offseason on how he will play alongside of NO-Defense (and One on One) Players Marbury, Crawford, and Curry this season, game after game will he show improvement each game or .... ?
What happens when the Knicks start off losing or go through a long series of losing streak this regular season will the BLAME-GAME hit the Knicks Lockerroom and divide the players again like it has done every season under President Isiah Thomas? The imaturity of this KnickTeam and its Brass started 2 seasons before Nate Robinson arrived in the NBA, and a season before Trevor Ariza arrived in the NBA. So the Imaturity on this Knick Team is there but has been pointed at the wrong people...

Are you even a Knick fan? I too think Jersey has a good team starters and bench but nobody in our confrence can stop our bigs inside both Curry and Zach. All you have to think about when it comes to Zach over J.Oneil sure Jermaine can block more shots than Zach but they both rebound at the same rate Zach is more gifted on the ofencive end and the two big points Zach has on J.Oneil are toughness and durability. The Knicks Brass is finaly starting to turn it around so I'm officialy getting off their back.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Kristic is a bum. Curry makes Kristic look like a CBA player. All this Oneal talk is NJ getting worried about NY and Boston's upgrades. Jersey hasn't made any significant changes to their line up so they should expect the same results. They're not a power team like the Knicks. They're more finesse. A healthy Knicks team can ran #2 in the atlantic division.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
We're a power team? We're better than the Cavs and Nets? I wish it were true, but come on people. One thing everybody forgets is that all of the top teams in the NBA have few turnovers and play DEFENSE!!! The Knicks do not.

All we've done this offseason is add ZBo. And guess what Zach does?? He turns the ball over frequently and doesn't play defense!! So, tell me how we are going to be a contender in the NBA? How does Zach make us better? Adding a 20 and 10 guy doesn't necessarily make the Knicks a better team. Until the turnovers are kept to a minimum and defense becomes a priority, the Knicks will be in the same spot as they were last year. Watching the playoffs at home.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
Not exactly...you people just look at the TOs Zack Randolph makes... but do we know why? Same with Curry...these low post power guys have TOs is because they are the focal point of the offense and are getting double teamed heavily and can't get the ball out quick enough. But getting Randolph is supposed to be the cure for Curry's double teamed TO woes and this is reflexive to Randolph. Randolph won't be the sole offensive weapon on this team so the pressure won't be there to score 20+ pts a game thus his turnovers are going to go down. It's basketball logic...it's not that hard to understand. I guarantee that Curry's and Randolph's turnover average drops because...
A. Double teams will come less frequently,
B. Marbury, Q-Rich, and JC if healthy will knock down the 3
C. Isiah preaches an offense run through his post so passing out of double teams will be worked on in practice.
D. Team chemistry is almost a non-issue.

So the pessmists need to find another excuse on why we can't exceed in this conference that can't D up on our post bigs because the bottom line is...who is going to stop Randolph and Curry in a 7 game series and still have the legs to crash the boards with Lee and Balkman??

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Not exactly...you people just look at the TOs Zack Randolph makes... but do we know why? Same with Curry...these low post power guys have TOs is because they are the focal point of the offense and are getting double teamed heavily and can't get the ball out quick enough. But getting Randolph is supposed to be the cure for Curry's double teamed TO woes and this is reflexive to Randolph. Randolph won't be the sole offensive weapon on this team so the pressure won't be there to score 20+ pts a game thus his turnovers are going to go down. It's basketball logic...it's not that hard to understand. I guarantee that Curry's and Randolph's turnover average drops because...
A. Double teams will come less frequently,
B. Marbury, Q-Rich, and JC if healthy will knock down the 3
C. Isiah preaches an offense run through his post so passing out of double teams will be worked on in practice.
D. Team chemistry is almost a non-issue.

So the pessmists need to find another excuse on why we can't exceed in this conference that can't D up on our post bigs because the bottom line is...who is going to stop Randolph and Curry in a 7 game series and still have the legs to crash the boards with Lee and Balkman??

Teams will most likely double team from Zach's man or Curry's man, depending on who has the ball. That's why it is not good to have two low post guys like Curry and Zach on the court at the same time. The double team does not have far to travel, and can quickly recover when they pass out of it. Unless both Curry and Zach can develop consistent outside shots.

You also forgot to mention our lack of defense and how we become contenders without defense. And why is team chemistry a non-issue?

I'm not a pessimist. I just don't think everyone should think we are going to be a dominant team because we added Zach Randolph. If the Knicks do become a dominant team in the East, then I will eat my own words. But until then these guuys got to prove it to me. Or we get Artest. Then I will be optimistic.

The 1 and Only

Rotation player
No I wasn't calling you out or calling you a pessimist by any means. But I'm just sick of hearing of the negative. If it's true then it's true.

Curry usually takes deep position in the post 5-7 feet from the basket. So a double team would have to come quick or already be there if they were going to take effect. Now this couldn't happen because cheating on Z-Bo is what we can make teams pay for.

Z-Bo posts up a lil bit further out...7-10 feet from the basket. Now a double team would have to come from a guard or a 3 because if Curry's man cheats then Curry is cutting toward the basket for a dunk. Curry's man can't cheat at all because no other position can guard Curry except for the 5. So again doubling is going to be tough on other teams since we have two low post posts. One being dominant 5-7 feet out and another being deadly from 7-10 and is also armed with a J.

Now the defense question is a given...that question has already been answered. We already know that Z-Bo could be a liablity on D. Hopefully both Curry and Z-Bo are working on their post and helpside D. But from the perimeter we might be ok with Marbury and Q pressuring. JC is iffy. If balkman is put at the 3 then perimeter D shouldn't be much of a problem.

But I see where you're coming from and I respect your opinion. I just don't agree with it.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
No problem man. We both want the same thing, and that is for the Knicks to finally be relevant again. I hope the ZBo/Curry duo can work. We will just have to wait and see. I like our players and have confidence in their abilities. I don't think there is any question that the Knicks have a ton of talent, but regardless of their individual talents, everyone will have to step it up on defense and learn how to compliment each other offensively. Dammit, can the season start already??!!??

BleedOrangeAndBlue

Benchwarmer
ummm... Kristic and Boone were hurt most of the year... Kristic was out during the entire playoffs... WAS was missing Butler and Arenas... so cleveland played WAS backups in the first round and the injured Nets in the second round... If NJ had Kristic during last playoffs, they woulda beaten Cle...

u still didnt answer my question i said if knicks with the team we have now played cleveland last year would we had won or lost