3 questions: Alan Houston

Good Morning to all my fellow Knick freaks out there, todays question is brought to you by one of my All Time favorite Knicks Alan Houston.

So the rumor is Hou is mounting a comback, first off I wish him the best and I think he'll be sucessfulll in his atempt. But word is that the Knicks get the first crack at him. And now for my Three Questions.....

1. Do we need him

2. Who do we cut to make room for him if he turns out to be in playing shape
a. and what can we really expect from him

3. If we turn him down who's the next suitor

Do we need a pure shooter like Allan Houston.... I say yes for two reasons, one with the post players we have we need a player who can spread the floor, and the other reason is I think he would be a great mentor for a player like D. Nichols or Wilson Chandler

Well with our current roster state we need to cut two players already so acquiring Allan would mean even one more spot to free up. Dan, Jerome, and then who else? if Jefferies is cut then Hou gets his number back, but with four years left on his MLE deal that is not that likely.
What we can expect from him his a bench player who will come in and knock down some shots for us, the good thing about a player like Houston his game is so pure that it doesn't take long to adjusting to playing with him, and he wasn't a terrible defender either. Again this is assuming he's in playing shape.
There is no easy answer for this question, but I get the feeling Isiah won't be all that interested.....

Which brings me to my final answer where should Allan go if not to the Knicks, the clear cut favorite would be SA, that is a veteren team who would benefit from his services. He'll more than likely land him a ring and retire, but I think it would be a little stange to see him go to the team that beat us in our last trip to the finals

jzero29

Rotation player
Houston, we have lift off!

Now there goes a shooting guard, although he hasn't played in a couple years so i can't judge his effectivness and the roster is packed,

First, we do need a shooting guard of allans caliber. Spreads the floor, would consistently make defenses pay for leaving him open. Is he still at that caliber? I can't answer. I'd admitt, he probably won't be the houston we all rember, but if he can still shoot like old houston, maybe he can play the role of consistent spot up shooter we don't have. the kind that during a double team on curry, zach or marbury, would be all alone behind the arch. I think allan slightly diminished in talent and speed is better than what we have at sg now, (crawford). But how much diminished? if he's older and slower now, how's he gonna be on defense, the fact is he wasn't that great of a defender to begin with, we can't afford to get burned. I think He'd be a bonus, he might fit a greatly needed role. Improve our 3 point shooting.

Second, obviously, i'd ditch, jones and dickau. Then it gets tricky, jerome james is worthless, malik rose, will lose what little minutes he has with additions of the two new rookies. I'd Love to burry or ditch crawford, but we've gone over that already, and I don't think they do that. I would not ditch nichols or chandler, they are the future, and they can delvelope. and if houston has anything left, it will only be for a year ort two, then we'd need them.

Third, The celtics, they have already talked to reggie miller, about a comeback, so they are looking for a veteran sharp shooter, if not reggie, why not another deadly shooter.

Toons

is the Bo$$
I say we dont need him....if our knicks are to be improving on defense, what will another poor man-man defensive player bring to the table? Nichols is a great shooter, richardson is also a 3pt threat, crawford can knock down the 3 and so can dan....we have players to knock down shots when curry or randolph is doubled....also, we have randolph who can consistantly hit an open midrange shot if curry is doubled...if zach is on the left side and curry is being doubled on the right, a quick kick out to the top of the key, to q.rich, the closest man runs at him and he dishes to zach on the left elbow (his sweet spot) imagine players like duncan, amare, and other pf's running out at his J, either randolph hits it, or currry is back to one on one in the post, we would have other teams confused on who is going to score....if nichols defense improves, and he plays the 2 at times, we will have a big front, and back court. Our team is fine without H2O....like someone said earlier, when the gret Jordan staged his comeback, he tarnished his legacy a bit...let alan retire a knick legend

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i like alan houston but having em on this team means minutes taken away from balkman and the knicks need balkman on the court more than alan houston cuz if he couldnt play Defense b4, imagine now, no to alan houston

metrocard

Legend
I say we dont need him....if our knicks are to be improving on defense, what will another poor man-man defensive player bring to the table? Nichols is a great shooter, richardson is also a 3pt threat, crawford can knock down the 3 and so can dan....we have players to knock down shots when curry or randolph is doubled....also, we have randolph who can consistantly hit an open midrange shot if curry is doubled...if zach is on the left side and curry is being doubled on the right, a quick kick out to the top of the key, to q.rich, the closest man runs at him and he dishes to zach on the left elbow (his sweet spot) imagine players like duncan, amare, and other pf's running out at his J, either randolph hits it, or currry is back to one on one in the post, we would have other teams confused on who is going to score....if nichols defense improves, and he plays the 2 at times, we will have a big front, and back court. Our team is fine without H2O....like someone said earlier, when the gret Jordan staged his comeback, he tarnished his legacy a bit...let alan retire a knick legend

Nichols hasn't even taken a shot in the NBA yet. I like Nichols too, but lets give the kid some time before we proclaim him a shooting phenom.

Dan Dickua is an average long range shooter, same with Crawford and Richardson. These guys shoot low % and are streaky shooters. I would keep Richardson cause he's the superior all around player and I like him at SG. Houston would be a good 2 string or 3rd string guy off the bench.

Plus Houston hits his shots, Crawford clanks them.

LOIOSH30

Benchwarmer
Nichols hasn't even taken a shot in the NBA yet. I like Nichols too, but lets give the kid some time before we proclaim him a shooting phenom.

Dan Dickua is an average long range shooter, same with Crawford and Richardson. These guys shoot low % and are streaky shooters. I would keep Richardson cause he's the superior all around player and I like him at SG. Houston would be a good 2 string or 3rd string guy off the bench.

Plus Houston hits his shots, Crawford clanks them.

I can't believe I'm gonna say this....I think Houston, especially at his age, would be a down grade from Crawford on defense....There, I said...Damn that hurt.....

metrocard

Legend
I can't believe I'm gonna say this....I think Houston, especially at his age, would be a down grade from Crawford on defense....There, I said...Damn that hurt.....

Houston eating ice cream on a basketball court would be more effective defense than Crawford at 100%.

Allan Houston was never a great defender, and once his knees went, he became pathetic.

I loved his offensive game, but again, once the knees went, he lost his ability to create space and get off that beautiful J he has.

No to Allan Houston, and Charles Oakley, and Willis Reed, and any other overthehill ex-Knick dreaming of getting back on the floor at MSG for a big round of applause.

Perhaps what the NBA needs is what golf has...a 'senior league'.

It would be nice if Allan Houston actually came to camp and mentored guys like Crawford, Collins, Balkman, JJ and others on their shooting. Given all the fucking money he got for nothing.

Starks

Starter
Allan Houston a Knick would be of a morale booster for the franchise. It's not always about points and rebounds. See I care about Allan. I don't give a rat's ass about anyone else on this roster save for Lee, Q, and Collins.

And if the game is on the line, I'd still feel more comfortable putting my faith in him more so than anyone on the team.

Plus, we need him to come back and clean the filfth off number 20.

Wtf

Houston eating ice cream on a basketball court would be more effective defense than Crawford at 100%.
Jesus of Nazareth are you guy's for real . I too loved Allan Houston when he was effective but for u guy's to think Allan Houston at 36 years old is a better player or defender than Jamal Crawford you must be on moon crack. Jamal hasn't even reached his prime. Allan was a great shooter but that was year's ago. I don't think that you guy's would be taking on any other 36 year old shooting guard if it wasn't for Allan's affiliation with the Knicks organization. Allan's knees well never be the same again. I love Alllan but guy's I live in reality Allan's Houston career is over and Jamal's is on the rise. Jamal is a better all around player more assist, steals and rebounds plus he is not afraid to go to the hole. Were going to spend more money to be over cap for ever JESUS. Why don't we go get PATRICK,Latrell, Bernard, Clyde, LJ, Oakley, Starks, Davis, Monroe, Harper, King all guy's that we all loved but there best day's have come and gone.

KnicksFan4Realz

Benchwarmer
Jesus of Nazareth are you guy's for real . I too loved Allan Houston when he was effective but for u guy's to think Allan Houston at 36 years old is a better player or defender than Jamal Crawford you must be on moon crack. Jamal hasn't even reached his prime. Allan was a great shooter but that was year's ago. I don't think that you guy's would be taking on any other 36 year old shooting guard if it wasn't for Allan's affiliation with the Knicks organization. Allan's knees well never be the same again. I love Alllan but guy's I live in reality Allan's Houston career is over and Jamal's is on the rise. Jamal is a better all around player more assist, steals and rebounds plus he is not afraid to go to the hole. Were going to spend more money to be over cap for ever JESUS. Why don't we go get PATRICK,Latrell, Bernard, Clyde, LJ, Oakley, Starks, Davis, Monroe, Harper, King all guy's that we all loved but there best day's have come and gone.

Jamal Crawford having a PRIME, NOW THAT SHIT IS HILARIOUS.

We don't need another non defensive player on this team for one thing. Allan at this point hate to burst some folks infatuation with H20 but he is too much of not only a defensive liability, but an injury liability...we all know once one guy gets injured that shit begins to spread like crabs at a whore house. And for so many Isiah apologists on here, all you would hear is "we had too many injuries, that's why we ain't doing anything" and I don't want to have to go through another season of that shit for anyone like this past season.

Jamal Crawford is 27....how many more years he got to get his shit straight? Drafted in 2000...by Cleveland.....he was what 20?.......

Just saying he's a little too old for the P word..."Potential" what you see is what you get...and scorer who can hit bad shots, not a good man to man defender, can penetrate, but not so good of a job looking for his teammates, just another overpaid under-talented player who like most guys in the league now lack fundamentals.

metrocard

Legend

Jamal's negative.

No defense
Careless turnovers and traveling calls
Bricking and Clanking shots to a 40% FG and 32% 3PT
Loser player = losing basketball. Jamal is one of the worst second or first options you would want to have in the NBA.

Jamal is 27, and has been the same player since 4-5 years ago. Jamal's prime won't be nothing special, so don't wait on it.

Allan Houston is healthy now, why the hell do you guys keep talking about knees? Callate already.

No one is asking Houston to start. Houston is a veteran with unlimited leadership and experience in winning and shooting, things we seriously lack. He could be a mentor and a great guy to have in the locker room. Plus we get a nice spot up 3pt shooter off the bench. BTW, Houston was averaged 11 ppg in limited minutes when his knees were fucked up. Now, healthy, I could see Allan giving us 9-10 points off the bench. Not bad.

Difference between Houston and those guys you mentioned, Houston is accually active, healthy and ready to play basketball. Oakley wants to play too.

Smh, you know Isiah has got these guys by their tails when they gave up on Allan Houston but expect Jamal Crawford to be the superstar PRIME starting SG for now and the future who will lead us to championships on Curry's back.

Jamal Crawford having a PRIME, NOW THAT SHIT IS HILARIOUS.

We don't need another non defensive player on this team for one thing. Allan at this point hate to burst some folks infatuation with H20 but he is too much of not only a defensive liability, but an injury liability...we all know once one guy gets injured that shit begins to spread like crabs at a whore house. And for so many Isiah apologists on here, all you would hear is "we had too many injuries, that's why we ain't doing anything" and I don't want to have to go through another season of that shit for anyone like this past season.

Jamal Crawford is 27....how many more years he got to get his shit straight? Drafted in 2000...by Cleveland.....he was what 20?.......

Just saying he's a little too old for the P word..."Potential" what you see is what you get...and scorer who can hit bad shots, not a good man to man defender, can penetrate, but not so good of a job looking for his teammates, just another overpaid under-talented player who like most guys in the league now lack fundamentals.
Well brother you sit around and wait for Allan Houston to bring you a championship. Good luck. Well I guess since Jamal not in his prime Allan is.

Kiyaman

Legend
Allan Houston was in college and the draft the same time as Ray Allen (Top SG).
Allan Houston talents lies as a Player Coach for young teams like the Seattle Sonics (same as Traded Player Coach Kurt Thomas for Durant).

Isiah Thomas career in the NBA has always been a disrespect to the next guy, that is why he was not allowed to play for the "Original Dream-Team".
As soon as Isiah Thomas was hired by the Knicks he wasted no time in doing his best to humiliate & disrespect Knicks Franchise Player Allan Houston.
Bringing a player (Marbury) to the Knicks that players "Ward, Spree, and Houston" would never let any of the teams PG-Marbury played for get a WIN against the Knicks was a very BIG disrespect to Allan Houston (and so-call Knick-Fans wondered why Marbury & Houston could'nt Jell).

Isiah Thomas Final Disrespect to Allan Houston was the offseason of NBA Stern release of players with the "Allan Houston Luxury-Tax buyouts" (Houston could not sue NBA Stern because the name came from the Knicks organization).
Plus to show how much Isiah Thomas hated Allan Houston, when Houston put in his retirement papers in the 2005-6 season for injury, Isiah Thomas signed Jared Jefferies to the MLE in the 2006 offseason and gave Allan Houston number twenty (#20) to Jared Jefferies. Allan Houston was not retired for a year yet before Isiah gave his Jersey Numbers away to the next new Knick player.
By doing this Isiah Thomas canceled any and all Sells on the retirement of Player Allan Houston #20 Jersey in the 2006-7 season at the Garden. Which probably would've been the biggest sell of Knick Jersey this past 2006-7 season the way the Knicks were losing consistently with a 33 WIN season.

jzero29

Rotation player
I hate to say it,

but crawford is a better defender than houston. But I hate him anyway. He's not a shooting guard and he's not a point guard he's a bricklayer. But he does have better defense than houston.

Houston however, is a much better SG than crawford all around. Houston has been hurt, But i wouldn't just write him off. One, he's not comming in to take over at starter, he's going to play a reserve role. He's going to do something no productive knick seems to be able to do beside, lee and balkman...be a role player. I for one think he'd do an excelent job at filling the Spot up shooter role, because Q is decent and crawford is terrible at this role. Once again, he'd be comming off the bench. Two, he's got that ice in his veins, he's not flustered by big shots, And he hits more than he misses(unlike a certain Knick who has everyone fooled into thinking he's the next rip hamilton) Role players don't have to be the best at everything, they play a ROLE...In allans case he'd help a team, that needs an improvement with 3point shooting. No his defense won't be the best, and yes a younger crawford can play better defense, but allan, won't be getting big minutes, unless he's 100% the old houston(unlikely) He even said he would play a reduced role as long as he has a role. I say, let him work out, lets see what hes got and if he is healthy and in shape, lets take him. Let him show crawford what he should be doing.(hitting shots)

jzero29

Rotation player
p.s.

Crawford doesn't have half the talent allan houston used to have... So right about now, houston should still be able to light up crawford anyday of the week. Allan is a better sg any day hands down. Allan is not 107, he's 36, there are a bunch of Guards in NBA his age. besides the fact that the knicks offense would be better off the less crawford touched the ball, houston is the man. allans worst shooting year is one of crawfords best.(statistically) Crawfords career regular fg% is almost the same as allans 3pt FG%. Houston 3pt fg% is better!!! You can't even compare Regular FG%. Houston blows him out of the water. He's a shooting guard, crawford is just terrible.
Houston could shoot better with his feet than crawford. I'd liike to see him get a chance, we don't if he can't play, we don't have to take him.

Last edited:

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
Allan Houston was in college and the draft the same time as Ray Allen (Top SG).
Allan Houston talents lies as a Player Coach for young teams like the Seattle Sonics (same as Traded Player Coach Kurt Thomas for Durant).

Isiah Thomas career in the NBA has always been a disrespect to the next guy, that is why he was not allowed to play for the "Original Dream-Team".
As soon as Isiah Thomas was hired by the Knicks he wasted no time in doing his best to humiliate & disrespect Knicks Franchise Player Allan Houston.
Bringing a player (Marbury) to the Knicks that players "Ward, Spree, and Houston" would never let any of the teams PG-Marbury played for get a WIN against the Knicks was a very BIG disrespect to Allan Houston (and so-call Knick-Fans wondered why Marbury & Houston could'nt Jell).

Isiah Thomas Final Disrespect to Allan Houston was the offseason of NBA Stern release of players with the "Allan Houston Luxury-Tax buyouts" (Houston could not sue NBA Stern because the name came from the Knicks organization).
Plus to show how much Isiah Thomas hated Allan Houston, when Houston put in his retirement papers in the 2005-6 season for injury, Isiah Thomas signed Jared Jefferies to the MLE in the 2006 offseason and gave Allan Houston number twenty (#20) to Jared Jefferies. Allan Houston was not retired for a year yet before Isiah gave his Jersey Numbers away to the next new Knick player.
By doing this Isiah Thomas canceled any and all Sells on the retirement of Player Allan Houston #20 Jersey in the 2006-7 season at the Garden. Which probably would've been the biggest sell of Knick Jersey this past 2006-7 season the way the Knicks were losing consistently with a 33 WIN season.

man what are u talking about, i dont know any knick fan who questioned the move for marbury when he first came and i dont know any knick fan who believed marbury and alan couldn't co exist, man how can u say marbury and alan houston didnt work when they barely played wit stephon, and how u going say isiah thomas gave #20 to jefferies, its not up to isiah and plus jared ask alan if he could wear it, man stop bashing isiah, if u going bash isiah then come wit facts

Last edited: