Steph says Media twisted his words!!

Trin_Starr

Starter
I hear ya Metro.
Right now I'm so fucking heated...
They edit the dude's words and run it - now every news source is writing about it based on that one edit - and when he clarifies what happened in the NYpost - they just write about how after getting heat for his comments - he is changing his tune, instead of how what he said was twisted and taken out of context....

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
I hear ya Metro.
Right now I'm so fucking heated...
They edit the dude's words and run it - now every news source is writing about it based on that one edit - and when he clarifies what happened in the NYpost - they just write about how after getting heat for his comments - he is changing his tune, instead of how what he said was twisted and taken out of context....

I think this maybe the first time in history that a news paper would twist an athlete's words to generate a story. You know, cause news people never do anything that could be considered prejudicial or tainted. Again, this is a another glaring example of why I hate the Media. I hope Steph can get himself a homer reporter, sorta like Jordan and Ahmad Rashad. Then he'll get his beliefs out but in his favor.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
As much as I despise the media, Steph is somewhat at fault here. He needs a PR director to help him when speaking to the media. The media dogs are already clawing at his angles. He's got to know what and what not to say. That's just apart of the business. I knew right away that his line of 'I hear it's a sport to some people' would be taken out of context. This is why nearly every one in the NFL has no comment on the issue. Steph if you're reading this next time try a response like "My prayers are with Vick and his family, other than that I don't have a comment." Although I agree with your comments the media will crucify you at any chance they get.

alrobinson6022

Benchwarmer
man i wish steph stops talkin... i really can't blame the media 100 % on this one. they have him on tv saying this stuff. even though he might not have wanted it to come out that way, it's on tv and for the whole world to see.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I hate to say it, but ini some ways black athletes get the worst media coverage when it comes to things like this. I bet you anything if Brett Favre said "from what i hear, dogfighting is a sport" it wouldn't have been this serious.

Starks

Starter
You guys gotta admit, if you were a sports reporter looking for a story that will sell some papers- You know damn well you would follow Steph eveywhere he goes with to write the outlandish comments he makes. lol its instant unintentional comedy.

Some players are good when talking to the media, and some just really need to go to take a few courses in school. Look at early interviews with Moses Malone. Dude looked like a friggin special ed student. At that same token look at Shaq's early interviews compared to now. Chris Weber is best example on planet. He went from moron to basketball ambassador. He even went on to be regulary invited to speak on social issues on many cable news shows.

If Steph helps win ball games, no one really care at all about what goes on in that head of his. He may not be that bright, but who cares as long as he can bring up his assists.

Trin_Starr

Starter
man i wish steph stops talkin... i really can't blame the media 100 % on this one. they have him on tv saying this stuff. even though he might not have wanted it to come out that way, it's on tv and for the whole world to see.

Well that's what he was trying to show. He said one thing and then the TV station in albany edited his comments before and after the one where he is seen on TV - so people didn't hear the whole story and his argument against dogfighting. From the TV clip - the newspaper wrote the text excerpts - from which other news sources began using.

From what Steph said in today's paper and what the TV station reported, I could see the interview going something like this:

Reporter: What do you think of the Vick situation and killing dogs

Steph: I think it's bad where some sports kill animals. Who are we to decide which animals live or die... it's like deer hunting - who says u can kill those animals and why is that not illegal.

Reporter: So you're saying dogfighting is a sport like deerhunting?

Steph: From what I hear - it's a sport, just done under cover. Both of them kill animals and you don't hear people complaining about that.

Do you see how easy it is to misconstrue what someone was saying if you only listen to certain parts of an argument..
Plus with Steph - he is sooo easy to get baited into those open ended questions :)

nyk_nyk

All Star
Well that's what he was trying to show. He said one thing and then the TV station in albany edited his comments before and after the one where he is seen on TV - so people didn't hear the whole story and his argument against dogfighting. From the TV clip - the newspaper wrote the text excerpts - from which other news sources began using.

From what Steph said in today's paper and what the TV station reported, I could see the interview going something like this:

Steph: I think it's bad where some sports kill animals. Who are we to decide which animals live or die... it's like deer hunting - who says u can kill those animals and why is that not illegal.

Steph: From what I hear - it's a sport, just done under cover. Both of them kill animals and you don't hear people complaining about that.

Do you see how easy it is to misconstrue what someone was saying if you only listen to certain parts of an argument..
Plus with Steph - he is sooo easy to get baited into those open ended questions :)
No. They don't misconstrue anything. They hear the whole damn thing... they just take the most controversial part of the comment and build on that. Eventually anything else a person said becomes irrelevent.

Reporters are actually taught to do this in conversation.

pat

Starter
http://www.nypost.com/seven/08232007/news/regionalnews/marbury__vick_is_100_percent_w.htm?page=0

Once again - the media up to its dirty tricks....damn I hate those bastards...

Nah, I think he is just trying to contain the damage. I hope he retires soon. His behaviour is just inappropriate for any franchise. He is making the whole Knicks organisation look ridiculous.

First the TV interview, now the dog fighting comment and a while ago, oh yes, the best point guard in the league thing. He is just one thing: embarrassing.

alrobinson6022

Benchwarmer

i hear you. don't get me wrong, i love steph to death but he has to know that dog fighting is not a sport. i don't buy that one bit. even though he said "from what i hear". steph doesn't come across as someone who's sheltered from reality... he's not stupid

Trin_Starr

Starter
i hear you. don't get me wrong, i love steph to death but he has to know that dog fighting is not a sport. i don't buy that one bit. even though he said "from what i hear". steph doesn't come across as someone who's sheltered from reality... he's not stupid

Actually dog fighting is a sport, albeit a very cruel and inhumane one...it was a sport here in the US until it was made illegal, but it still remains a very popular sport in Central America, South America, the Caribbean and other countries like Russia and Central Asia.

And one thing about growing up in NYC, you are exposed to all different cultures especially the ones from central, south america and the caribbean.
Dogfighting exists in NYC - and being from BK, Steph knows about it. He might not condone it, but he knows it exists. Hence the reason why he said, "From what I hear".

alrobinson6022

Benchwarmer
Actually dog fighting is a sport, albeit a very cruel and inhumane one...it was a sport here in the US until it was made illegal, but it still remains a very popular sport in Central America, South America, the Caribbean and other countries like Russia and Central Asia.

And one thing about growing up in NYC, you are exposed to all different cultures especially the ones from central, south america and the caribbean.
Dogfighting exists in NYC - and being from BK, Steph knows about it. He might not condone it, but he knows it exists. Hence the reason why he said, "From what I hear".

All good points but he should know better to say stuff like that to the media. He falls for it everytime.